GUILTY TX - Riley 'Baby Grace' Sawyers, 2, brutally murdered, Spring, 24 July 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Count back the months and it really makes you ill...

I am surprised the Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty in this case! I wonder why they aren't??

The mother got pregnant either shortly before or right after the two "parents" killed Riley. (The father is the stepfather.)

From the timing, I'd say she got pregant almost immediately after they killed Riley, but it could have been a month or so earlier. I'd have to look at the timeline again.

They are not seeking the death penalty because it is harder to prove intent to kill with beating a child like this--I know, really sad, but the defense has a window to argue that the parent didn't realize how badly hurt the child was. Makes it easier to get a conviction overall if that isn't a point that the jury can get hung up on, and this is Galveston County, not Harris County/Houston area. Galveston is typically a lower income/harder jury for issues like this--the Galveston DA has been burned in the past on really obvious cases (like the one where the millionaire heir admitted he shot and cut up his neighbor, but he claimed self defense, and the defense had a window of excused because the DA couldn't prove that it WASN'T self defense--so Mr. Cut Up My Neighbor got a walk on a much lighter charge.

So the Galveston DA is playing it safe with the charges, but a lot of locals are not happy.

So far the father has NOT given up his parental rights. They had a family member all lined up to take the little baby boy, but his refusal botched that, so they are back to looking at extended family members again.

Baby Grace was one of the most heartbreaking crimes ever. I hope her mother lives in regret every single day of how she handed her child's life over to an insecure maniacal bully.

The mother got pregnant either shortly before or right after the two "parents" killed Riley. (The father is the stepfather.)

From the timing, I'd say she got pregant almost immediately after they killed Riley, but it could have been a month or so earlier. I'd have to look at the timeline again.

They are not seeking the death penalty because it is harder to prove intent to kill with beating a child like this--I know, really sad, but the defense has a window to argue that the parent didn't realize how badly hurt the child was. Makes it easier to get a conviction overall if that isn't a point that the jury can get hung up on, and this is Galveston County, not Harris County/Houston area. Galveston is typically a lower income/harder jury for issues like this--the Galveston DA has been burned in the past on really obvious cases (like the one where the millionaire heir admitted he shot and cut up his neighbor, but he claimed self defense, and the defense had a window of excused because the DA couldn't prove that it WASN'T self defense--so Mr. Cut Up My Neighbor got a walk on a much lighter charge.

So the Galveston DA is playing it safe with the charges, but a lot of locals are not happy.

So far the father has NOT given up his parental rights. They had a family member all lined up to take the little baby boy, but his refusal botched that, so they are back to looking at extended family members again.

Baby Grace was one of the most heartbreaking crimes ever. I hope her mother lives in regret every single day of how she handed her child's life over to an insecure maniacal bully.
thanks for the explanation about not going for the dp= I had a very hard time understanding why they backed away from it, but your explanation helps a bit
this whole story just makes me so sick I cant even put it into words- kill one, make a new one :mad:
and that too is where I say people like these 2 should be altered so they can not reproduce, period the end

And Zeigler has the gall to want to try and dictate what happens with his child-start to sweat buddy-because if you keep playing games your child could end up in foster care and it can be a crap shoot as to what that means....God forbid your baby be treated with the same animosity you visited on Riley. Don't misunderstand me-i am absolutely not wishing any pain and suffering on this new baby....

Tomorrow, 7/24/08, marks the one year anniversary of the tragic death of Riley Ann Sawyers / Baby Grace. Riley Ann was discovered on an island in Galveston Bay in late October 2007 by a fisherman, approx 3 months after her death.

Tomorrow, I am headed to Galveston to join in the dedication ceremony of a new park bench in Menard Park in the city of Galveston. Riley's grandmother, Sheryl, and her uncle Ray, will be there for the ceremony.http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou080722_jj_babygrace.7f552d89.html

A large group of online friends has come together to purchase the park bench in memory of Riley, and in thanks to the community for what they did for Riley and her family. Sheryl hopes that in addition to keeping Riley's memory alive, it will serve to continue to keep awareness of the serious problem of child abuse in peoples' minds.

I'll post some pictures when I get back.

While reading about the case of missing 2 year old cutie Caylee Anthony, I was reminded of little Riley Ann Sawyer. I then realized the date, and I thought, NO WAY it has been a year since she was killed in cold blood. Alas, it has been a year tomorrow.

I just wanted to stop in and send my prayers out for Riley and those who will be missing her especially tomorrow.

I was so honored to be part of the bench dedication in Galveston on Thursday, July 24. It was such an emotional event, and so touching. We unveiled the bench that the "Circle of Friends" donated to the city, and presented plaques of appreciation to Texas Equusearch and to the City of Galveston and her residents. The "Circle of Friends" is a group of people that has come together online to support Sheryl and the Sawyers family during this tragedy, and in their continued fight against all child abuse.

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=5da83d47e18a4991

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/M....jsp?contentId=7060350&version=1&locale=EN-US

The trials for the 2 monsters that committed this unspeakable crime have been postponed. The original trial date was Nov. 3, but due to Hurricane Ike, the date has been changed. I believe it is scheduled for sometime in January now.

This Wed, Oct 29, will mark the 1 year anniversary of Riley's body being found on the island in Galveston Bay. I know that those that were involved in the discovery and investigation will be hurting especially bad on that day, as will those that loved Riley. Please keep them in your prayers.

This might be a little OT, but can someone tell me how Riley's bench fared from Hurricane Ike?

I would be shocked if anything is left of it. Galveston and the surrounding area was devastated. They are still not allowing anyone on the Island who doesn't own property or can prove with ID that they are currently employed there.

This might be a little OT, but can someone tell me how Riley's bench fared from Hurricane Ike?

I would be shocked if anything is left of it. Galveston and the surrounding area was devastated. They are still not allowing anyone on the Island who doesn't own property or can prove with ID that they are currently employed there.

GREAT NEWS !! The bench survived, intact with no damage!! We were absolutely thrilled when we got the news, as we had already begun planning the replacement. I haven't yet been able to get to the island due to my travel schedule, but will do so soon and get a pic to post.

What did not survive was the cross that Tim Miller from Texas EquuSearch built and placed on Riley's Island, where she was found. Also, the sign that the men who own the island had built that said "Riley's Island", and was posted for all passing watercraft to see.

Tim is going to re-build a cross and we are going to place it out on the island soon. I think we may wait until the time of the trial so that Riley's grandmother and father are with us, along with some of the folks that were there when she was found. When it happens, I'll also post pics.

Any updates on this case? The trial? Anything? I thought it was set for November but I never heard anything about it.

Mother of Baby Grace enters plea

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 8:11 a.m.

GALVESTON (AP) -- A woman accused in the beating death of her 2-year-old daughter, widely known as "Baby Grace," has pleaded guilty to evidence tampering.

But Kimberly Dawn Trenor has pleaded not guilty to capital murder charges a day before her trial begins. Jury selection is expected to start today in Galveston

The 20-year-old mother and her 25-year-old husband, Royce Clyde Zeigler II, are accused of beating Riley Ann Sawyers to death last July in their Spring home. Trenor told police the child died after a disciplinary session veered out of control.

Trenor and Zeigler are each charged with capital murder and tampering with physical evidence.

Riley's body was found in a box washed up on the shore of an island in Galveston Bay. Trenor said the couple hid the body in a shed for two months before dumping it in Galveston Bay, where a fisherman later found the body inside a box.

Trenor and Zeigler remain in the Galveston County Jail in lieu of $850,000 bail each. Zeigler is being tried separately and his trial date hasn't been set.

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=249441

Prayers for Riley's dad and grandmother for strength as the trial for this gets underway.

Salem

Trial begins: January 27th

EXCERPT

Trenor was arraigned Tuesday in Galveston, Texas, said her lawyer, Tom Stickler. Jury selection for her trial on the capital murder charge begins Wednesday. The trial will begin in earnest on January 27, he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/21/baby.grace.plea/

To the end of my born days I will not understand how she can plead not guilty to the capital murder charges. Head shakin...

Personally this is not a very nice thing to say but i hope she rots!:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alblake
Back