GUILTY TX - Riley 'Baby Grace' Sawyers, 2, brutally murdered, Spring, 24 July 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't find anything on the internet about this trial being televised or if i can watch it online.
Can someone please help me with this????
Thanks in advance!!!!!

I doubt it is being show live on tv, but it you want to keep up with the trial go the this newspaper site, the chron was in the forefront for all things Baby Grace..

Baby Grace mom's capital murder trial opens

Jury in Galveston case is made up of seven women and five men

By HARVEY RICE
Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

Jan. 27, 2009, 11:05AM

1 2 3
260xStory.jpg

Galveston County Sheriff

Jury selection begins on Wednesday for Kimberly Dawn Trenor

Resources

PHOTO GALLERIES
A look back at the Sawyers case
Dedication to Baby Grace

GALVESTON -- Kimberly Dawn Trenor and her husband tortured her 2-year-old daughter all day, then watched her slowly die, a prosecutor told jurors today.

"They watched her stop breathing . . . they let her die," Galveston County Assistant District Attorney Kayla Allen said in her opening statement as Trenor's capital murder trial began.

Allen told jurors that Trenor, 20, and Royce Clyde Zeigler II, 25, both of Spring, knew that the violent discipline session in the summer of 2007 could have led to the death of Riley Ann Sawyers.

Defense attorney Tommy Stickler countered that the couple never intended to kill Riley.

Stickler described Trenor as a lonely teenager who had been rejected by Riley's father and never had close contact with her own family.

Zeigler, whom she met while playing the online game World of Warcraft, appeared as her knight in shining armor, Stickler said.

When Zeigler wanted to discipline Riley in an effort to teach her to say "yes, sir" and potty-train her, Trenor went along because she wanted a home for herself and Riley, he said.

"Kim wanted Riley to say 'yes, sir' so they could keep their home," Stickler told jurors.

A jury of seven women and five men, chosen Monday along with two alternate jurors, heard opening statements this morning before prosecutors began their effort to prove that Trenor and Zeigler beat the girl to death, then hid the body for up to two months before tossing it into West Galveston Bay.

Zeigler, also charged with capital murder, will be tried separately.
Stickler and his wife and co-counsel, Ann Stickler, gave a glimpse of their strategy during jury selection, noting that jurors will be asked to decide whether Trenor is guilty of a lesser crime than the capital murder charge alleged in her indictment.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6230596.html

Prosecutor: Slain toddler said 'I love you' at end

GALVESTON, Texas – A slain toddler tried to stop her mother and stepfather from beating her to death by reaching out to her mother and saying, "I love you," a prosecutor told jurors Tuesday. The pleas from 2-year-old Riley Ann Sawyers didn't stop her mother, Kimberly Trenor, from continuing to brutalize her, assistant district attorney Kayla Allen said in her opening statement at Trenor's murder trial.

But defense attorney Tommy Stickler Jr. told the jury that Trenor, 20, never intended to kill her daughter in 2007 and that things just "spun out of control."

The toddler was dubbed "Baby Grace" by investigators who worked to identify her decomposed remains after the body was found in a plastic container in October 2007 on a tiny island in Galveston Bay.

Trenor's 25-year-old husband, Royce Zeigler II, is to be tried separately on murder charges. His attorney points the finger at Trenor.

Prosecutors declined to seek the death penalty because they didn't think they could prove that either one would be a future danger, as required.

During her opening statement, Allen detailed for jurors the day that she said Riley Ann died for forgetting to say "please" and "yes, sir."

Allen said that on July 25, 2007, Trenor and Zeigler disciplined Riley by whipping her with a belt, pushing her head against a pillow and holding her head under water. She said Zeigler grabbed Riley and tossed her across the room, fracturing her skull. An autopsy concluded the skull fractures caused her death.

"To the very end, Riley said, 'I love you' to her mom. She's reaching out," Allen said. "That's her lifeline, to her mother. What does Kim do after hearing her say I love you? She starts beating her."

Allen said the adults did nothing to help even as Riley lay dying.

She said the pair bought a plastic container, stuffed Riley's body inside and stored it in a shed for a month or two before setting it out to sea, prosecutors said.

Stickler portrayed Trenor as a scared 19-year-old girl who had moved to Texas from Ohio to marry a man she met while playing an online game. She said Riley's father, her former boyfriend, had assaulted her and Zeigler was her "knight in shining armor, her Texas cowboy."

"I don't want to use the word accident, but this wasn't something that was intentional," Stickler said.

Trenor could receive an automatic sentence of life in prison without parole if convicted of capital murder. The jury could also convict her of a lesser charge.

Riley's remains were unidentified for weeks until an Ohio woman, Sheryl Sawyers, saw an artist's sketch and told authorities she believed the girl was her granddaughter. Sawyers' son is Trenor's ex-boyfriend.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090127/ap_on_re_us/child_s_remains

Today's testimony from Trenor in the Houston Chronicle link is quite possibly, one of the most heartbreaking and sickening accounts I've ever read.

Royce, stepfather, stayed home from work to "break her." He changed belts he beat her with because the first one wasn't causing enough pain. He forced her under cold water when she screamed, and he threw her onto the tile floor three times.

She died after a day of agony. I truly hope these two rot in prison and then may God alone have mercy on their souls.

I have done nothing but cry over this story. My heart aches for this baby. What a horrible death. OMG How in hell could a mother allow this to happen? I have a 21 month old. I can't even imagine this.
I hope these 2 rot a slow death. That poor baby went thru hell and still told her Mommy she loved her. OMG this has broken me up! Damn them both:furious:

Sick, sick individuals. I can't even begin to fathom how these two subhumans did this horrible crime to that little angel.

Oh, I cried when I read that she reached out to her mother and said "I love you" and all her mother did was beat her in response. How can you do that, I just can't understand it?! I'm going to have nightmares about this tonight.

Jurors weep at details of 'Baby Grace' torture

GALVESTON, Texas – Jurors wept Tuesday watching a woman describe how teaching her 2-year-old daughter proper manners turned into a daylong torture session in which the toddler was beaten with belts, dunked in cold water and flung across a room so violently that she died.

Kimberly Trenor, 20, detailed the abuse in a videotaped statement played for jurors during the first day of her capital murder trial.

Trenor, 20, told investigators in the statement that she hit her daughter with a thick leather belt to teach her to say "please" and "yes, sir."

The little victim was dubbed "Baby Grace" by investigators who worked to identify her decomposed remains after the body was found in a plastic container in October 2007 on a tiny island in Galveston Bay.

Trenor's 25-year-old husband, Royce Zeigler II, is to be tried separately on murder charges. His attorney argues that Trenor is responsible for the child's death.

But Trenor insisted it was her husband who became so enraged when the toddler didn't behave better that he hurled her several times across a room, ultimately fracturing her skull and killing her.

"I said we have to get her to a hospital. (Zeigler) said, 'No we can't. We'll go to jail,'" Trenor said in the videotape, crying. "There came a point where she stopped breathing. He started doing CPR on the floor. He took her ... and handed her over to me. I could just feel her going cold."

At the defense table, Trenor's eyes teared up as she watched the videotape on a large screen. Several jurors wiped away tears.

Riley Ann Sawyers tried to stop her mother and stepfather from beating her to death by reaching out to her mother and saying, "I love you," assistant district attorney Kayla Allen told jurors earlier in the day during her opening statement.

The toddler's pleas didn't stop her mother from brutalizing her, the prosecutor said.

Allen said that on July 25, 2007, Trenor and Zeigler disciplined Riley by whipping her with a belt, pushing her head against a pillow and holding her head under water. She said Zeigler tossed Riley across the room, fracturing her skull. An autopsy concluded the fractures caused her death.

Allen said the adults did nothing to help even as Riley lay dying.

Instead, the couple bought a plastic container, stuffed Riley's body inside and stored it in a shed for a month or two before setting it out to sea, the prosecutor said.

Defense attorney Tommy Stickler Jr. told the jury that Trenor never intended to kill her daughter and that things just "spun out of control."

Stickler portrayed Trenor as a scared 19-year-old girl who had moved to Texas from Ohio to marry a man she met while playing an online game. She said Riley's father, her former boyfriend, had assaulted her and Zeigler was her "knight in shining armor."

"I don't want to use the word accident, but this wasn't something that was intentional," Stickler said.

Trenor could receive an automatic sentence of life in prison without parole if convicted of capital murder. The jury could also convict her of a lesser charge.

Prosecutors declined to seek the death penalty because they didn't think they could prove that either one would be a future danger, as required.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090128/ap_on_re_us/child_s_remains

I did have nightmares about this case. I was up at 5:30 this morning, holding my daughter and just crying. I can't believe these creatures are even given the opportunity to parent. I truly hope both of them ROT in HELL for the horrific things they did to this baby. So heartbreaking.

If Grandma Sheryl stops by during all of this, please know that if we could turn back time and keep that child with you we would. Instead we are walking these steps with you in spirit, beautiful lady. Riley cannot be hurt anymore and knows how loved she was and is by all of you who were touched by her in life, and by all of us who were touched by her in death.

I am praying so very hard for all of you.

Peace...:blowkiss:

"GALVESTON, TX -- An investigator will testify later today on the statement he took from the former Ohio woman accused in the beating death of the toddler known as "Baby Grace."

In her videotaped statement to Texas authorities, 20-year-old Kimberly Trenor acknowledged taking part in the beating but blamed the toddler's death on her husband, who will be tried later."

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=106018&catid=3

Prayers for the family of Riley Ann. Would someone put a picture up of Riley Ann? I don't know how to do it, and with the horrific details coming out at this trial it would help to see her precious face. May all the family be blessed and may justice be served.

Today's testimony from Trenor in the Houston Chronicle link is quite possibly, one of the most heartbreaking and sickening accounts I've ever read.

Royce, stepfather, stayed home from work to "break her." He changed belts he beat her with because the first one wasn't causing enough pain. He forced her under cold water when she screamed, and he threw her onto the tile floor three times.

She died after a day of agony. I truly hope these two rot in prison and then may God alone have mercy on their souls.

I was hoping these 2 pieces of subhuman evil crap would have gotten the death penalty, but since this is Galveston county they aren't. I can't remember why Galveston is the place the trial is taking place outside of that's where they threw her into Galveston Bay, the murder took place elsewhere. I hope at least they are given LWOP and his stay in Huntsville will be just as tortured as what he did to that baby.

Comments
Recommend

Couple accused each other in child's death, sergeant says

Fisherman testifies about discovering Baby Grace's body in plastic box

By HARVEY RICE
Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

Jan. 28, 2009, 12:16PM

260xStory.jpg

Jennifer Reynolds AP

Kimberly Dawn Trenor consults with attorney Ann Stickle

GALVESTON -- Kimberly Dawn Trenor and her husband accused each other of responsibility for the beating death of her 2-year-old daughter, an investigator testified today in Trenor’s capital murder trial.

Galveston County sheriff’s Sgt. Michael Berry told jurors in the second day of Trenor’s trial that it is common for codefendants to blame each other. Trenor’s husband, Royce Clyde Zeigler II, 25, was arrested after Trenor gave a 3 1/2-hour videotaped statement about the death of Riley Ann Sawyers.

Trenor, 20, told investigators that Zeigler was the instigator of a daylong disciplinary session on July 25, 2007 that included beatings with a belt, holding the girl’s head under bathwater and throwing her onto a tile floor.
Berry said that Zeigler, in turn, blamed Trenor after his arrest.

“Each person is going to point the finger,” Berry said in response to questions from Galveston County District Attorney Kurt Sistrunk.
Berry, questioned by defense attorney Tommy Stickler Jr., said he was able to find only one falsehood in Trenor’s 3 1/2-hour statement.

Trenor told Berry that Zeigler had dictated a fake letter claiming that Ohio officials had taken Riley into custody. But Berry said he later determined that Zeigler was out of town when the letter was written.

Jurors also this morning heard from the fisherman who found the child’s body in a blue plastic box after it had washed ashore on a small island in West Galveston Bay.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6230596.html

I can't stand to look at that creature in the blue shirt. I'd so love to get my hands on her! What a low life piece of crap she is. This story has really gotten to me. I think the "I love you Mommy" took me to another level of heartbreaking. I can't even imagine how scared and hurt this child was and the one she loved and was there to protect her is the very one who tortured and killed her. As I said before I truly hope they both ROT. Slow and painful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alblake
Back