TX - Shanna, 36, & Diederik Vandewege, 3 mos, slain, Fort Worth, 15 Dec 2016 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes and I'm not one to try and judge quickly, so I'll be the first to play devil's advocate, however he was odd. I did try and be kind and hospitable to a new person in our department but he just thought differently and had an oddness that most noticed right away. It's still really hard for me to imagine that anyone could do this to someone they loved and their baby but everything is pointing to him.

Thanks, Cats. Were you ever afraid of him?

Funeral Today:
The funeral for Shanna and Diederik is being held at the Dykes Memorial Chapel. Kate Stasiowski, a nurse who worked with Shanna at St. Joseph Hospital in Denver, said Shanna cherished her work as a nurse. “Shanna was such a loving person, such a caring soul. She took nursing to another level,” Stasiowski said. “She treated patients like they were family.” http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ed-mom-and-baby-shanna-and-diederik-vandewege

PEOPLE magazine article from yesterday:
http://people.com/crime/texas-man-craig-vandewege-murder-wife-son-voices/

CV's still in Garlfield, Colorado http://www.garcosheriff.com/PDFs/current_inmates.pdf
On Dec 22nd, it was reported that he would not fight extradition and his attorney (Gordon) was headed to Colorado to move things forward. Wonder if CV pushed to stay in CO so he could have family visitors over Christmas? I don't understand why he's not back in Texas yet.

Funeral Today:
The funeral for Shanna and Diederik is being held at the Dykes Memorial Chapel. Kate Stasiowski, a nurse who worked with Shanna at St. Joseph Hospital in Denver, said Shanna cherished her work as a nurse. “Shanna was such a loving person, such a caring soul. She took nursing to another level,” Stasiowski said. “She treated patients like they were family.” http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ed-mom-and-baby-shanna-and-diederik-vandewege

PEOPLE magazine article from yesterday:
http://people.com/crime/texas-man-craig-vandewege-murder-wife-son-voices/

CV's still in Garlfield, Colorado http://www.garcosheriff.com/PDFs/current_inmates.pdf
On Dec 22nd, it was reported that he would not fight extradition and his attorney (Gordon) was headed to Colorado to move things forward. Wonder if CV pushed to stay in CO so he could have family visitors over Christmas? I don't understand why he's not back in Texas yet.

Has he been officially charged? Maybe they have been waiting for that?

I really don't know....perhaps we have a legal expert on the case who can chime in. Gitana, are you here?

jmo

Right now, CV is being held in CO under a fugitive from justice misdemeanor charge.

I believe they will extradite/transfer CV to Texas so they can arrest him under the felony capital murder warrant and charge him there.

Maybe Texas LE and prosecutors want more time to get the details pinned down before they formally charge him and they're what's keeping him in CO?

Right now, CV is being held in CO under a fugitive from justice misdemeanor charge.

I believe they will extradite/transfer CV to Texas so they can arrest him under the felony capital murder warrant and charge him there.

Maybe Texas LE and prosecutors want more time to get the details pinned down before they formally charge him and they're what's keeping him in CO?

That's what I'm thinking. I think they are taking their time with the procedures so that LE in Texas has more time to get everything in order, gather all the evidence, etc. He obviously is a flight risk, so they need to hold him somewhere. If he's in Texas without formal charges, they couldn't hold him, I don't think.

Just my guess...I am totally not a legal expert by any means.

jmo

I wonder if he will make bail? After selling their previous home, he may have the money. I think he needs $100,000. for a $1ml hold

I wonder if he will make bail? After selling their previous home, he may have the money. I think he needs $100,000. for a $1ml hold

That's a scary thought, Jazz.

Considering CV's "I'm on the run from police" statement to the 7-11 witness and other details of his Colorado arrest......hoping it won't be difficult for prosecutors to convince a Texas judge that CV's too high of a flight risk to have a bond-out option when he's formally charged.

Thanks, Cats. Were you ever afraid of him?

No he was always nice to me. I tend to get along with people is just my nature so I think the only thing I would have been aware of is him being a bit spiteful but I made sure not to get on his bad side.

true but even that a hole scott got DP here!
yes, he did but that was 14 years ago and he's still drawing breath. and likely will for another 20+ years. that probably won't happen in texas.

I am thinking Shanna probably paid more attn. to her appearance pre pregnancy and baby (GUILTY HERE and the "baby" is almost 4 lol) so now she is focused on baby and her looks and king Craig fall by the wayside. also, an RN (here anyways) makes a damn sight more than a Costco manager. he was facing having to provide instead of being provided for.

what a narcissistic douche bag

No, he isn't John Q Studly, that's for sure. But, he complained about Shanna's looks. IMO, she was pretty. I guess he wanted to be with someone he felt was stunningly beautiful, to bolster his self image. Makes me wonder why he married Shanna in the first place. For her money? Was he hoping for someone who would also support him financially so he could quit his job and play the field? Just speculating that maybe that was his plan, but then Shanna had a baby and didn't return to work. He got a promotion, but maybe he was bitter about being the breadwinner.

I'm reminded here (as with so many cases) of a friend who took advantage of me financially and materially, as I suspect she did of many other people, especially after she and her husband separated. She claimed he abused her, but she spoke disparagingly of his appearance, his intellect and his ability to provide financially. Yet, she had not worked in over a decade and he had a steady job. She made comments about herself implying a superior intellect (not), a beautiful appearance (not), and that she was chief breadwinner. She pretended to care about others only to get close to a person so she could manipulate them into getting whatever she wanted.

IMO, these people are narcissistic sociopaths who view other people only as tools to obtain what they want in life. They are unable to empathize with others and are concerned only with their image and their desires. I can't imagine what Shanna experienced in her marriage, but I know she deserved much better. So did Diederik.

I am thinking Shanna probably paid more attn. to her appearance pre pregnancy and baby (GUILTY HERE and the "baby" is almost 4 lol) so now she is focused on baby and her looks and king Craig fall by the wayside. also, an RN (here anyways) makes a damn sight more than a Costco manager. he was facing having to provide instead of being provided for.

I'm wondering if they moved from CO to TX in anticipation of her quitting work and being a SAHM for at least awhile. It seems that there is a big cost-of-living difference between CO and TX, and perhaps the plan was that they would use the profit from selling their old home to be a cushion while they were a single-family income for awhile.

Maybe he really resented her for staying home with the child while also resenting that her looks were not up to his standards.

I'm also wondering if he got the family into financial troubles and was no longer able to cover them, now that he was the sole breadwinner. And the troubling atmosphere at work - that might have added to his anxiety about feeling like he was shouldering everything (not realizing in his selfish mind that caring for a newborn requires plenty of shouldering as well!!).

My heart really does go out to Shanna. I don't think he snapped that morning - I think he had been very, very difficult to live with for a long time, and I feel for her having to deal with him.

I think you're right that CV probably resented having to be the primary breadwinner for the family when Shanna decided not to go back to work.

IMO, CV liked the idea and image of being 'the boss' at Costco, but didn't want the work that comes along with being a good manager. I feel like he probably had that same attitude when it came to being the man of the house.

I also have a gut feeling that work-related goings-on and relationships, on-the-clock and possibly off-the-clock, are going to end up factoring into what went down (at least in CV's mind).

Shanna's arrival in Texas might have really harshed his 'cool, edgy, party dude' gig with some younger and more immature co-workers.

Anyway, I won't be surprised if some of CV's co-workers strongly suspected CV immediately after the murders, but felt loyal and kept silent or waited until they were possibly implicated to start talking to LE.

Fortunately, at least one of the co-workers started talking just in time to keep CV from bolting with all those guns, ammo, gas cans, clothing and condoms.

JMO and speculation only.

Here's the link to last night's Primetime Justice transcript. They talked about this case a bit. The lawyers were not too forgiving of CV's coworkers not coming forward weeks ago.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1612/26/ptab.01.html

Looks like the panelists were leaning towards CV trying to set up an insanity defense when he engaged in all of that loose talk, like @katydid23 suggested.

IMO, CV was more likely just too immature and undisciplined to keep his trap shut; probably figured he was talking to friends and bros who had his back or wouldn't think he was serious.

Anyway, now that he's busted, he might be able to use those pre-murder statements in attempt to float some kind of diminished capacity excuse/defense.

I don't think it will work, however. I agree with @gitana1 -- if he did it, CV dived into focused cover-up mode immediately after the murders. He knew what he'd done, knew how very wrong it was, and wanted to avoid the consequences of his actions.

Also guilty. My oldest baby is 21, my youngest is 14. As a result, I'm blessed with curves I lacked 25 years ago. Some awesome, some less so. My hubby seems to love me as I am (as I do him). It's a shame that Shanna (and so many other women who are married to evil men) can't be appreciated for all that they bring to the world. Love, brains, humor, compassion, honesty, nurturing, drive, wisdom are all so much more valuable than a 'thigh gap'.

I can't fathom her parents burying their daughter and grandson around the holidays. What is more
horrific? The way that they died - throats slashed. I can't comprehend. I understand that her
parents never met the baby?
Evil does walk around us.

I think he just snapped first and then improvised the cover-up. Jmo.

Because lets say he loved that new house and job and wanted to be a bachelor.

Then why not kill by other means for less blood and then get rid of the bodies and say that your wife and child is missing and hasn't been home or seen that night or the next morning?

Plus he didn't stick around to try to pull off the lie.

So maybe he wanted to go back to Colorado and not settle down in Texas.

Jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC
Back