Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally stand up for CPS and social workers, even though I have encountered some bad eggs.

But, some of the headline-grabbing allegations of taking kids from "free range," or home schooling families or others deemed to be undeserving really have more to them than meets the eye. I followed an Arkansas case for awhile. A family and their supporters claimed that their kids were removed for giving them "supplements." Digging deeper the father, who didn't believe in doctors (or schools, or a lot of other things), had gotten hooked into one of those cure-alls that disreputable people sell on the internet. As I recall, the actual substance was something like cleaning fluid. And he was not only giving it to the kids, but there was at least one admitted "swat" to the face, sufficiently severe to cause a nose-bleed. The kids were being "home schooled" even though the family had not complied with legal requirements to make this known to the local school board, and there was some question about the actual quality of education being received, at least by the younger children. There were also some basic health and safety issues at the families place of residence. The family was ultimately able to jump some hoops and get the kids back.

But the holy hell this family, and their supporters, raised. They claimed conspiracy against them, the devil rising up against them because they are Christians, the government wanting their children for medical experimentation, the secular world wanting their children to go to public school and mix with the heathens! Anything but being able to reconsider whether their chosen "lifestyle" might actually be harming their children.

So--I always try to find some facts when I hear of some of these supposed cases of CPS over-reach.
Yes, yes, yes. There is always more than meets the eye.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I don't know if you followed the same Michigan case that I did. But in at least one case in Michigan there was a portion of a CPS report that one parent incorporated into a filing in a divorce case, as an exhibit. It would seem as though it ought to have been redacted before the filing went out, but some courthouse clerk wasn't completely on their toes. The parent in that case apparently had access to to the record (although possibly not the entire record, recalling that the investigative conclusions were never actually shared--although one may presume that findings were minimal as there was no barrier to the accused parent seeing the children. IOW, there was some crafty leakage going on. Pretty sure that CPS (and their records that pertain to children) are covered under FERPA and HIPAA--both of which are federal--and protected from reporters with FOIA requests.
I'm not sure which case you are referring to but likely did follow it at the time.

The protection of records is covered by the Michigan child protection law (quick Google search pulls it up). However, when a petition is filed, it references the prior CPS complaints and investigations and is admitted to evidence in court. This is what can be accessed through FOIA. Likewise, CPS workers' testimony is admitted. The actual complaint, including who filed the complaint, is protected.

I'm not sure which case you are referring to but likely did follow it at the time.

The protection of records is covered by the Michigan child protection law (quick Google search pulls it up). However, when a petition is filed, it references the prior CPS complaints and investigations and is admitted to evidence in court. This is what can be accessed through FOIA. Likewise, CPS workers' testimony is admitted. The actual complaint, including who filed the complaint, is protected.

Just in case anyone is interested, I found the Texas CPS policies from their website. I'm not sure how relevant any of this is but gives something to consider and discuss while awaiting autopsy results or further charges and court proceedings.

https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/handbooks/CPS/Files/CPS_pg_1450.asp#CPS_1450

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.261.htm#261.201

(b) A court may order the disclosure of information that is confidential under this section if:

(1) a motion has been filed with the court requesting the release of the information;

(2) a notice of hearing has been served on the investigating agency and all other interested parties; and

(3) after hearing and an in camera review of the requested information, the court determines that the disclosure of the requested information is:

(A) essential to the administration of justice; and...

OT - If any of you get bored this weekend and can take a look at my thread in the jury room and give me any ideas on getting more information on an old family murder from 1911, I'd appreciate any input. I don't expect to solve it. I just want to find out as much as possible. Those with an interest in genealogy may be able to give me some ideas as well.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355148

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is a little OT but, seeing as how we've talked about lawyers, I found this interesting. Apparently the young man became frustrated and said something to the effect of, I want a lawyer dawg. LE said that was not a request for a lawyer, I guess they thought he wanted a canine lawyer...:rolleyes: and proceeded to question him. I've tried to make it very clear to folks, who get pulled in on something that is serious, to state, clearly, "I want a lawyer." Period. Then shut up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-a-lawyer/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.0c5467641b90

JMO... Guys, this Omair dude has inserted himself into Sherin's case and thus far has managed to incite the community into angry recriminations not only against a member of Sherin's family who has not been charged with a crime in her murder but also her entire family. In his petition he demanded that her body be turned over to the community (i.e. a bunch of angry strangers) for service and burial - need I say more?

Okay, I will: Omair is a self-described community activist who is neither a reporter nor an LEO and shouldn't be treated with the same weight as either. Google his name to see his interactions within the community. While I believe his heart is good and he wants to promote peace in the muslim community IMO he's overstepped in Sherin's case. Whatever good intentions he originally had has been overshadowed by his petition and his statements in msm.

His actions are not promoting peace in the community as feelings about Sherin's family have reached a point where the community now feels it has the right to dictate how LE and her family proceed in her case. This isn't right IMO, no matter how I feel about Sherin's family members.

I chose to ignore Omair and his posts early on when he claimed to have found evidence that he turned over to LE, who determined it had nothing to do with her case. I then concluded that he was desperate to be part of the investigation and would do whatever necessary to achieve his goal.

This is all my own opinion.

Mom's job may have put her in contact with many involved in the medical community- involved in childcare. Maybe the CPS contact was an unofficial capacity?
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I thought CPS was involved simply because of Sherin's adoption.

IMO

I thought CPS was involved simply because of Sherin's adoption.

IMO

That is what i thought too. I guess it depends who was appointed to do the Home Study etc. for the adoption. It could of been the adoption agency or someone independent that the agency was okay with doing it.
I found this info. in regard to CPS doing home study for fostering or adoption.
(quote)
The home study (for adoption purposes it is also known as the Pre-adoptive Home Screening) is used in assessing the home for children's safety and available space. All homes must meet standards enumerated in the Minimum Standards and Guidelines for Child-Placing Agencies. The home study is designed to elicit information on a variety of issues including:

motivation for wanting to foster or adopt;
health status;
marital and family relationships;
applicants feelings about their own childhood and parents including any history of abuse and/or neglect;
opinions about discipline;
sensitivity about abused and neglected children;
sensitivity towards birth families;
sensitivity about different socioeconomic, ethnic, and cultural groups in relation to their ability to maintain the ethnic identity of a child from a different background;
feelings about maintaining sibling relationships;
expectations of children in foster care;
family's ability to work with specific kinds of behavior and backgrounds; and
documentation on the number, age and sex for whom the home is approved.

Applicants are informed by CPS staff whether or not their home was approved and the reasons for the decision. Families who have successfully completed the CPS assessment process and are determined able to meet the needs of the children in CPS custody are approved.
https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Adoption_and_Foster_Care/About_TARE/Foster_Care/home_study.asp

JMO... Guys, this Omair dude has inserted himself into Sherin's case and thus far has managed to incite the community into angry recriminations not only against a member of Sherin's family who has not been charged with a crime in her murder but also her entire family. In his petition he demanded that her body be turned over to the community (i.e. a bunch of angry strangers) for service and burial - need I say more?

Okay, I will: Omair is a self-described community activist who is neither a reporter nor an LEO and shouldn't be treated with the same weight as either. Google his name to see his interactions within the community. While I believe his heart is good and he wants to promote peace in the muslim community IMO he's overstepped in Sherin's case. Whatever good intentions he originally had has been overshadowed by his petition and his statements in msm.

His actions are not promoting peace in the community as feelings about Sherin's family have reached a point where the community now feels it has the right to dictate how LE and her family proceed in her case. This isn't right IMO, no matter how I feel about Sherin's family members.

I chose to ignore Omair and his posts early on when he claimed to have found evidence that he turned over to LE, who determined it had nothing to do with her case. I then concluded that he was desperate to be part of the investigation and would do whatever necessary to achieve his goal.

This is very similar to what happened when the young lady wandered, drunk, into a freezer, and froze to death, in Chicago. The community activists turned the whole terrible event, into a circus. That poor child didn't even have an obit, nothing about her, and her life. They opened up a huge church to accommodate the public. I was shocked. The actions of the people, after Sherin's death, are shocking, but after what happened in the Kenneka Jenkins case, I am not really surprised. I watched a sci-fi comedy by Seth McFarland, called Orville, the other night. The planet that they discovered, was run entirely by public opinion, based on "upvotes" and "downvotes". If enough people disliked something you did, no matter how menial, the mob ruled, and you had your brain "fixed". It was a little eerie.

This is very similar to what happened when the young lady wandered, drunk, into a freezer, and froze to death, in Chicago. The community activists turned the whole terrible event, into a circus. That poor child didn't even have an obit, nothing about her, and her life. They opened up a huge church to accommodate the public. I was shocked. The actions of the people, after Sherin's death, are shocking, but after what happened in the Kenneka Jenkins case, I am not really surprised. I watched a sci-fi comedy by Seth McFarland, called Orville, the other night. The planet that they discovered, was run entirely by public opinion, based on "upvotes" and "downvotes". If enough people disliked something you did, no matter how menial, the mob ruled, and you had your brain "fixed". It was a little eerie.

I agree that kind of thing is off the charts for sure, but i think it has a deeper seated meaning in a lot of people that being the fear based emotion/psychology of losing control. People want to be able to feel in control and when they fear the loss of that control it comes out in some of these ways that we see in some of these instances.

Tonight with Omair Live he explained his reasons behind why the thing tonight was cancelled, discussed the threats, discussed Facebook pages that dare to support Sini and or WM, and announced he is still playing phone tag with Sherins church, also that he is calling Sini's attorneys tomorrow and again Monday and made a public plea to any family member to speak to him...

This is one case where someone has NO CLUE that they are a huge factor in the current problem...

Nothing new, other than more insight into his extreme naivety on his rights...

JMO

Anyone else watch or listen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That unfortunate, sweet, lovely child. If you hate your children so much, please, just give them up!

This statement:

Her father told police he last saw her at around 3 am when he instructed her to stand by a tree about a 100 feet from her residence/property across an alley way as punishment for not drinking her milk. He claims when he went to fetch her back in around 15 minutes later she was nowhere to be found. He told them he decided to do some laundry and wait until daylight to look for her further.

That is abusive beyond belief. This man should be incarcerated on the basis of that obvious falsehood. He is the only suspect on that statement alone. No competent parent makes their 3-year-old stand out by a tree in the middle of the night. I believe he's a lying, child-abusing, piece of ----. If I was on his jury, he's on death row.

That unfortunate, sweet, lovely child. If you hate your children so much, please, just give them up!

This statement:

That is abusive beyond belief. This man should be incarcerated on the basis of that obvious falsehood. He is the only suspect on that statement alone. No competent parent makes their 3-year-old stand out by a tree in the middle of the night. I believe he's a lying, child-abusing, piece of ----. If I was on his jury, he's on death row.

I agree, it is a shocking way to punish a little 3 yr. old child and to think it would be okay to do so. But then he goes on to admit even worse in his second story.
I also have to wonder how the other females in that home were treated?

Tonight with Omair Live he explained his reasons behind why the thing tonight was cancelled, discussed the threats, discussed Facebook pages that dare to support Sini and or WM, and announced he is still playing phone tag with Sherins church, also that he is calling Sini's attorneys tomorrow and again Monday and made a public plea to any family member to speak to him...

This is one case where someone has NO CLUE that they are a huge factor in the current problem...

JMO

Perhaps someone will get him charged with harrassment and a caution from LE.

It blew my mind that he seemed to honestly think that since he is not MSM or anything, that Sini's lawyers would talk to him.

I know that they have publicly stated they are her attorneys, but I don't know that they can even confirm without her permission, that she is their client, let alone take a message for her or point him in the direction of family and trying to set up a permanent memorial etc.

I can't imagine how many calls they get every day asking about Sini and WM and everything else going on. The lawyers, LE and the Church. Why would any of them take the time to discuss anything at all with a rogue self-proclaimed journalist? Maybe he should try again after people have had a chance to grieve and they would be more willing to help set up a memorial (if that is what Sini wants).

All JMO

JMO

Yes I watched- crazy that none of them see that they are the problem. Didn’t even care when there was an article where police specifically called out the Facebook groups- I have no words because it’s just so bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am constantly reading comments in that group and the things they say about Sini and her parents is disgusting and disrespectful. A few members even claim they have evidence that Sherin was constantly abused. Apparently they've handed this "evidence" over to LE and LE has told them not to tell anyone about it as LE want to be the first ones to make it public after they arrest Sini.

Yes I watched- crazy that none of them see that they are the problem. Didn’t even care when there was an article where police specifically called out the Facebook groups- I have no words because it’s just so bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently all the groups now have to stop accusing Sini and only talk about her if she is charged. Poor Sini. If she really is innocent, I feel for her. Everyone is judging her and is against her.

Just in case anyone is interested, I found the Texas CPS policies from their website. I'm not sure how relevant any of this is but gives something to consider and discuss while awaiting autopsy results or further charges and court proceedings.

https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/handbooks/CPS/Files/CPS_pg_1450.asp#CPS_1450

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.261.htm#261.201

Helpful. But, there is a distinction between what can be disclosed in a court of law and what a reporter (or the public) can request.

Brings to mind the Grazzini-Rucki custody case. Non-custodial mom helped two of the kids leave home and then left them to be cared for on a ranch. After 2 years the kids were found and returned and multiple helping adults charged and did jail time. At least one of them, however has been unable to let go and continues to harass the custodial parent and mention the kids on a website--despite specific bans on this according to her probation. Court has put in place restraining orders, which have been continually violated. Likely to go back to jail again at some point. Some people simply cannot let things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298