Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #7 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, this has nothing to do with food and everything to do with CONTROL.

I really don’t want to monopolize the thread today but I can’t seem to stop LOL.
This is purely speculation on my part but after looking at so many pictures of beautiful little Sherin I can’t help but wonder if she suffered from some sort of dwarfism. The orphanage pictures show her with what appears to be a head out of proportion but the later pictures with the weight gain and addition of that beautiful head of hair doesn’t show as much emphasis on the head size but her wrists and elbows make me think her growth had been stunted somehow. Now it could be as simple as the malnutrition that was alluded to previously especially if it was for an extended time. When I look at the pictures of her with the sister the size difference is considerable if there were 2 years between them but if the newer report of less than a year between them is accurate I think there must be an issue.

JMHO

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

The mods are going to remove the post probably if you dont take out her sister's pic- learned from doing it myself

"She was about 22 pounds and 3 feet tall at the time of her death,"
If you plot her out on a pediatric growth chart from the CDC she comes in at just under 25% for her height
And about 3% for her weight.

She was shorter than the average 3yo but in a normal range.
She was teetering in the danger zone for her weight and could have been referred for "failure to thrive".

"failure to thrive is often defined as a weight for age that falls below the 5th percentile on multiple occasions or weight deceleration that crosses two major percentile lines"

http ://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/0401/p829.html

://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2017/10/27/sherin-mathews-multiple-special-needs-3-am-feedings-part-doctors-orders

IMO Sini was close to being called out on her mistreatment of Sherin and something had to be done to keep up appearances.
Good thing it boomaranged on her!

MOO

Hopefully, we will eventually know where she was on the growth chart at the time of adoption. If she declined or stayed the same instead of improving from orphanage conditions, that could definitely be a sign that she was mistreated for quite a long time. However, if she was always extra tiny, so long as she stayed at or above the same percentiles, they likely wouldn't consider that to be a problem closing in (the Dr's)... BUT I think many of us believe one or both of these parents were very controlling (heck who has a garage that clean?), and that control could easily have caused eating issues. There are many people who are controlling who have an all or nothing type of perfectionist attitude, I could see an unnecessary panic/fear of being looked down on by medical professionals AKA co-workers for SM, and of course peers wondering why she is so small, becoming a weird breaking point.

Unfortunately, we can't understand this mindset because we don't think the way they do, and we also don't have the full story to be able to piece together exactly what happened in order to be able to fill in the emotional/mental gaps.

Needless to say, I am really wanting to see this trial and I hope it is covered by MSM in full. There are so many holes and unanswered questions that will help us to not only understand what happened, but maybe also some answers as to WHY.

JMO

I'm sure this has been discussed throughout the past few threads but what I keep going back to, in my mind, is her alone in the kitchen. I have seen others mention her being "restrained" in some way and as I see it, she would've easily still been able to fit in a high chair. If she wasn't able to unclip the straps herself, they could've buckled her into a highchair, tried to force her to eat, and when she didn't, left her in a highchair, alone. My 2.5 year old, who weighs 35lbs, would still fit in a high chair if he wasn't so darn independent, and there's no way he would be able to unclip the buckles. The image of her being in that house alone, strapped to a chair, truly haunts me.

I thought the same thing, Grouchy mom. She does appear to have some kind of dwarfism to me. Her arms seem to also be a little too short.

Not that I have seen. But as someone who used to go to church, there was almost always food and beverages offered afterwards. In the one photo that Sherin is standing on a table, that to ME looks like a church basement. Most weeks the food and drinks offered were very basic baked goods and stuff that some of the older ladies would bake up and bring in, but about once a month we would have a community potluck lunch after church, so we would all bring different items in and there would be desserts and sandwiches and salads, fruit/veggie plates, meat/cheese plates and so on. I have to assume that since WM was at one point a Sunday School teacher at church, that they likely participated in many of the church events, rather than coming in, hearing the weekly message and then leaving promptly afterwards.
JMO

Yes, I was thinking similarly... That they seemed active in their Church and if their Church had picnics / Bible study groups / gatherings, it was perhaps likely they attended. Wondering if the milk drinking was an issue at those get-togethers as well or if it was something that was only an issue at home, in private.

Yes, I was thinking similarly... That they seemed active in their Church and if their Church had picnics / Bible study groups / gatherings, it was perhaps likely they attended. Wondering if the milk drinking was an issue at those get-togethers as well or if it was something that was only an issue at home, in private.

It's too bad that "loving community members" threatened the church and it's members, as they initially were speaking openly with the MSM about Sherin and their concerns and offering prayers for Sherin and the family. Had the threats never happened, we would likely see people speaking about whether or not they are shocked or not about the arrests, about the milk, about this form of 'discipline', their activity or lack of since the adoption in the church community, and so much more.

I expect that if/when trial happens we will see daycare staff called to testify in regards to Sherin's alleged disabilities ex being non-verbal and of course her eating/drinking habits, and of course, if they suspected anything at all or if anything seems off in hindsight.

JMO

It's too bad that "loving community members" threatened the church and it's members, as they initially were speaking openly with the MSM about Sherin and their concerns and offering prayers for Sherin and the family. Had the threats never happened, we would likely see people speaking about whether or not they are shocked or not about the arrests, about the milk, about this form of 'discipline', their activity or lack of since the adoption in the church community, and so much more.

I expect that if/when trial happens we will see daycare staff called to testify in regards to Sherin's alleged disabilities ex being non-verbal and of course her eating/drinking habits, and of course, if they suspected anything at all or if anything seems off in hindsight.

JMO
I doubt we would hear much from them after missing turned into dead. IMO, a close knit parish is not going to be keen on speaking about one of their own in this situation. And they certainly don't want to be drawing the kind of attention a murderer in their parish would bring - microscope on them and all that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing, Grouchy mom. She does appear to have some kind of dwarfism to me. Her arms seem to also be a little too short.

She reminds me so much of adorable Zoe on the Little Couple. And they look like they are close to the same size and proportions.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...sherins-death-police/articleshow/61726465.cms

"Sergeant Kevin Perlich with Richardson Police says the arrest of Sini came after investigators went through a lot of evidence and determined that the time was right to go forward and arrest her for endangering a child.
He said police have sent a lot of "stuff" to laboratories for analysis and some of them have returned. But they were still waiting for details from other equipment seized from the home and vehicles of the Wesley and Sini Mathews.
Perlich, the Internal Affairs & Public Information Officer of Richardson Police Department said, "We are still waiting for the additional evidence to come to us.
"When that additional evidence comes into us, it may lead us in another direction, it may result in additional charges, may result in amended charges. We will wait and see how it unfolds and make those adjustments," he said last week after Sini was arrested.
Police have said the investigation into the death of Sherin is continuing.
"As far as exact time and cause of the (Sherin's) death is concerned, we are still waiting to get from the Medical Examiner's office as well as trying to piece that together as when she may have actually passed away," Perlich said.
Last week, police said they have not determined whether Sherin was alive when the couple returned home an hour and a half later after having dinner at a restaurant".

I doubt we would hear much from them after missing turned into dead. IMO, a close knit parish is not going to be keen on speaking about one of their own in this situation. And they certainly don't want to be drawing the kind of attention a murderer in their parish would bring - microscope on them and all that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I suppose you are correct, they likely would have stopped talking when it became obvious that it was no longer a missing child, but in those early days of the witch hunt, they did receive a lot of backlash and threats from what I recall MSM saying, and it was when the witch hunt began that they went quiet. We will never know, but I figured had people felt safe, they would have continued to talk. Even now, with the death (murder?) of Sherin, they may be going to MSM to separate themselves from them. Giving statements like "I always felt off around them" or "we are completely shocked but in hindsight we shouldn't be" or "we are doing everything we can to work with LE, including offering LE to interview our children in case they may have seen or heard something" and so on. In my experience, churches often try and spread their message and can be quite opportunistic (not all, obviously). But, if you had received threats because early on you had so much as said you "prayed" for them or the parish was praying for them during this time, it would be enough IMO to cause people to sit down and zip it because they don't want to be attacked verbally or worse.

Again, JMO and I totally respect yours. Like I said, we will sadly never know because the community went a little over the top with things so early on. Hopefully, if/when this goes to trial we will see some of these people called in as character witnesses or for the prosecution, to give us a better understanding of the family dynamics.

MOO

In Texas, how soon after arrest do we generally see a trial? Are we looking at hanging out here for a year or are we in this for the next 2-3 years or maybe even more?

Also, does Texas take into account time served and if so do they do day for day or do they do double time for each day prior to sentencing (here they often do 2 for 1 before sentencing)? Wondering this because I would hate for us to wait two or three years for a trial to begin if that's the answer to my first question, only for them to be found guilty and be released on time served or only have a few months left in a sentence if they happen to get the minimum.

Hoping for the best, always expecting the worse :(

Thanks!!!

MOO

In Texas, how soon after arrest do we generally see a trial? Are we looking at hanging out here for a year or are we in this for the next 2-3 years or maybe even more?

Also, does Texas take into account time served and if so do they do day for day or do they do double time for each day prior to sentencing (here they often do 2 for 1 before sentencing)? Wondering this because I would hate for us to wait two or three years for a trial to begin if that's the answer to my first question, only for them to be found guilty and be released on time served or only have a few months left in a sentence if they happen to get the minimum.

Thanks!!!

MOO

I am a Texas resident & IMO it takes far to long for a case to get to trial. Of course, it all depends on the legal maneuvering of defense attorneys. I do not know anything about the Matthews attorneys, but if they are really good they can stall a trial for a very long time. Sadly, it's not really about justice. It's more about who has the best attorney. Makes me extremely angry!! I do not know about time served. In a highly publicized case like this I would hope that the judge would be harsh in his/her judgement, but you just never know.

Thanks!!!

MOO

it looks like 3 years is not out of the question but local elections and the high visibility of the case could get it expedited. Obviously the defense will try to delay and the prosecution will be ready to go as soon as they have enough in hand to believe they can achieve conviction.

12. When will my case go to trial?
Most courts have a crowded docket - some more crowded than others. The courts generally try the oldest cases first and give a preference to defendants who are in jail awaiting trial. The judge sets his/her own docket. Most cases are tried anywhere from nine months to three years from the defendant’s arrest.
according to the Dallas County District Attorney web page:
https://www.dallascounty.org/department/da/faqs.php

HOWEVER
[FONT=&amp]There is a statutory minimum for how long a person may be held in jail pending a trial. The time limitations depend on the level of the offense that is being charged.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]According to Article 17.151 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, a person who is detained in jail pending trial of a felony-level offense must be released either on personal bond or by reducing the amount of bail required, if the state is not ready for trial within 90 days from the beginning of the detention if accused of a felony.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The time limitation is 30 days from the beginning of the detention if the person is accused of a Class A misdemeanor. If accused of a Class B misdemeanor, then the time limitation is 15 days from the beginning of the detention, and just five days from the beginning of the detention if they are accused of a Class C misdemeanor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The State doesn’t have to release a person being held in jail after the time limitation listed above. They may still comply with the law by lowering the amount of bail required. If a person cannot afford a lower bail amount, and the lower amount is deemed reasonable by the court, then a person may still be forced to remain in jail.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
http://www.heraldbanner.com/opinion...cle_fe7f7a51-6e52-5329-91bc-846b14748ae6.html

and (very interesting read on this page)
[/FONT]
Citizen is arrested either on view by a police officer who saw them commit a crime, or by warrant supported by an affidavit stating probable cause. In Dallas, agencies have 72 hours after arrest to file their case with the D.A.'s office. An individual who has not made bond prior to the 72 hours will be released if the agency has not filed their case. In other jurisdictions, the police agency may have much more time to file a case. As a practical matter, the filing of a case requires only a brief narrative stating probable cause and many agencies now file electronically. Beyond the arrest the D.A.'s office has 90 days in which to indict the case by presenting a case to the grand jury and securing a True Bill. Individuals still in jail beyond 90 days without the presentment of a case to the grand jury must be released on a reduced bond or a personal recognizance bond.
[FONT=&amp]
https://www.texascrimelaw.com/felony-court-process.html

More:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Most people found guilty of a State Jail Felony are facing a sentence of 180 days to 2 years in a Texas State Jail facility. Along with the state jail imprisonment, a person can be fined up to $10,000 (the standard fine maximum for felonies). Unlike the other level of felonies, parole does not apply to State Jail charges. So, we commonly say these sentences are served “day for day.” There is a program called “Diligent Participation Credit” that can reduce a state jail sentence, but it is not automatic. Your criminal defense attorney should be able to explain: 1. How Diligent Participation Credit works; and 2. If the judge in your case usually gives that credit. Aside from the normal State Jail Punishment range, there are harsher sentences depending on “enhancements” the government may be able to file in your case.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The punishment for a State Jail Felony is set out in the Texas Penal Code Chapter 12.[/FONT]
Current State JailCriminal HistoryPunishment
Ordinary State JailNo Criminal History180 days to 2 years State Jail
Up to $10,000 fine
Possession of Controlled SubstanceNo Criminal HistoryMandatory Probation
Up to $10,000 fine
Deadly Weapon UsedNo Criminal History2 to 10 years TDC
Up to $10,000 fine
Ordinary State JailPrior 3g Felony Conviction2 to 10 years TDC
Up to $10,000 fine
Ordinary State JailPrior Continuous Trafficking Conviction2 to 10 years TDC
Up to $10,000 fine
Ordinary State JailPrior Continuous Sexual Abuse Conviction2 to 10 years TDC
Up to $10,000 fine
Ordinary State JailPrior Deadly Weapon Finding2 to 10 years TDC
Up to $10,000 fine
Ordinary State JailTwo Prior State Jail Convictions2 to 10 years TDC
Up to $10,000 fine
State Jail with Deadly WeaponOne Prior Felony
Conviction (Non State Jail)
2 to 20 years TDC
Up to $10,000 fine
*As you can see, State Jail Punishment becomes complicated – Consult a Defense Lawyer for a better explanation.

[FONT=&amp]So, the [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Texas State Jail Felony punishment[/FONT][FONT=&amp] can be drastically different based on criminal history and specific circumstances. Do not make the mistake of waiting to speak with a criminal defense attorney about your charge.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
http://www.lusterlaw.com/page/1st-2nd-3rd-degree-felony-texas

Also:
[/FONT]
Text of article effective Jan. 1, 2017 >(a) For purposes of this article, “diligent participation” includes:
(1) successful completion of an educational, vocational, or treatment program;

(2) progress toward successful completion of an educational, vocational, or treatment program that was interrupted by illness, injury, or another circumstance outside the control of the defendant;  and

(3) active involvement in a work program.

(b) A defendant confined in a state jail felony facility does not earn good conduct time for time served in the facility but may be awarded diligent participation credit in accordance with Subsection (f).

(c) A judge:
(1) may credit against any time a defendant is required to serve in a state jail felony facility time served in a county jail from the time of the defendant's arrest and confinement until sentencing by the trial court;  and

(2) shall credit against any time a defendant is required to serve in a state jail felony facility time served before sentencing in a substance abuse felony punishment facility operated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice under Section 493.009, Government Code , or other court-ordered residential program or facility as a condition of deferred adjudication community supervision, but only if the defendant successfully completes the treatment program in that facility.

(d) A judge shall credit against any time a defendant is subsequently required to serve in a state jail felony facility after revocation of community supervision time served after sentencing:
(1) in a state jail felony facility;  or

(2) in a substance abuse felony punishment facility operated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice under Section 493.009, Government Code , or other court-ordered residential program or facility if the defendant successfully completes the treatment program in that facility.

(e) For a defendant who has participated in an educational, vocational, treatment, or work program while confined in a state jail felony facility, not later than the 30th day before the date on which the defendant will have served 80 percent of the defendant's sentence, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shall report to the sentencing court the number of days during which the defendant diligently participated in any educational, vocational, treatment, or work program.  The contents of a report submitted under this subsection are not subject to challenge by a defendant.

(f) A judge, based on the report received under Subsection (e), may credit against any time a defendant is required to serve in a state jail felony facility additional time for each day the defendant actually served in the facility while diligently participating in an educational, vocational, treatment, or work program.  A time credit under this subsection may not exceed one-fifth of the amount of time the defendant is originally required to serve in the facility.  A defendant may not be awarded a time credit under this subsection for any period during which the defendant is subject to disciplinary action.  A time credit under this subsection is a privilege and not a right
[FONT=&amp]
http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/code-of-criminal-procedure/crim-ptx-crim-pro-art-42a-559.html

PS
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]He cited a 2013 county report that showed the average felony court had 13 defendants who spent more than a year in the county jail. Magnis’ court had seven.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/new...dge-primary-focuses-on-costs-trial-wait-times
[/FONT]

Just googling and while all I have found is that a trial will happen within 180 days (6 months) we know that's not normally possible. It is however a right for the accused to push and say they want their trial to begin as the constitution gives the right to a speedy trial. Most IME tend to not be prepared themselves at this point as their own lawyers are testing evidence.

Anyway, I found what it says happens in an arraignment. This confused me with Sini as she hadn't said anything, and I was under the impression that this was when you were supposed to put in your plea of guilty/not guilty/no contest/insanity/etc. I would have to rewatch, but I don't actually recall the judge asking her what her plea was, just reading her her charges. So, I see there is a "mute plea" which if I understand correctly is "not guilty".

[h=3]Arraignment[/h][FONT=&quot]The following are the types of pleas you are allowed to enter at this time. You should discuss what plea is the best option for you with your Texas criminal defense lawyer.[/FONT]

• Guilty plea: A guilty plea means you admit that you committed the crime you are being charged with.
  • Not guilty plea: This means that you did not commit the crime you are being accused of. After a not guilty plea is made, a trial date is set.
  • No contest plea: This plea means you are not admitting guilt; however, at the same time you are not disputing the charge. This plea is often used when there is potential for a related civil trial.
  • Mute plea: A mute plea allows you to enter a not guilty plea while not admitting to the correctness of the criminal justice process up to that point.

I guess I am wondering now, if this is going to play a part in Sini's defense later on, IMO if she understands English and doesn't require a translator, then she should have been able to simply say "not guilty" so I wonder why her lawyers would (likely) advise her to not speak during this process. I think I may be expecting her to come up with an alternate story after reading this, or possibly, a claim that she wasn't aware that practicing a punishment that may have been "culturally correct" wasn't "legal".

Could her attorneys be coming up with a type of racially charged defense stating that the current laws prohibited her from parenting her child in a "traditional Indian" manner?

The ONLY reason I am saying that leaving a child alone like this is part of the culture is based on what some people suggested yesterday or the day before as Indian people. I have no clue if this is actually correct, or normal, so please forgive me if I am way off on that. Just trying to understand what reason someone would have for giving a "mute plea".

MOO and questions!!

I am a Texas resident & IMO it takes far to long for a case to get to trial. Of course, it all depends on the legal maneuvering of defense attorneys. I do not know anything about the Matthews attorneys, but if they are really good they can stall a trial for a very long time. Sadly, it's not really about justice. It's more about who has the best attorney. Makes me extremely angry!! I do not know about time served. In a highly publicized case like this I would hope that the judge would be harsh in his/her judgement, but you just never know.

Judgment based on publicity is no more in line with justice than judgement being based on the caliber of the attorney, IMO. If someone is found guilty of a crime they should be given the sentence that fits that crime, barring any repeat offender status, etc.
MOO, IMO.

And I'd bet dollars to donuts that they have never left their bio daughter home alone as a punishment.

Yes, it's an interesting dynamic I haven't seen before. I suspect she has some supporters who are pushing that narrative. I'm not subscribing to it. Not at all.
It makes me want to throw up. She's a sociopath. She has the look that She's pissed,and how dare anyone lock her up, or question her. I just want to slap the hell out that resting ***** face.
This disgusting pig helped kill that precious little girl. Then was of absolutely zero help to the investigation. While her poor little body was just dumped like garbage.
The investigators did all the hard tedious work. To help bring justice for precious little Sherin. While Sini did nothing, not only that she stonewalled them.

I am in Canada and in MANY cases I have seen it is the prosecution that stalls things, generally, they don't want to hand over discovery and the court keeps giving the more time, until it gets ridiculous and then they are told they have to by the courts. Given that most remands are monthly in my area, 12 remands is a full year. This, makes it impossible for the defense to push for the speedy trial as they simply are not prepared because the prosecution is playing these games. The prosecution is supposed to be ready here within 180 days as well, but since they don't like to share, it often takes closer to the 30 month mark for a trial date (on indictable/felony offenses).
I wouldn't say a "good defense" would draw things out on purpose, especially if their clients are sitting in jail. It would make sense if they were out on bail, as it would postpone things and allow for the defense to say that they have not reoffended, or been a nuisance, they have volunteered and so on, to paint them as low risk during sentencing. But, if they are sitting in jail, you would want to get all discovery and all testing done ASAP so that your client could hopefully be found not guilty sooner, and if found guilty, begin their sentence in order to be released sooner. Delaying it by 3 years on purpose seems counter productive to me, as the sentence may be 5 years, so your client would then be serving 8 years, if time served were not to be applied.

JMO

Even if it is the case in India to leave children at home, a family that can afford to eat out often, would have live-in household staff and that may be why it is accepted. I am pretty sure that ordinary Indian families would not leave a three year old totally alone.

I am in Canada and in MANY cases I have seen it is the prosecution that stalls things, generally, they don't want to hand over discovery and the court keeps giving the more time, until it gets ridiculous and then they are told they have to by the courts. Given that most remands are monthly in my area, 12 remands is a full year. This, makes it impossible for the defense to push for the speedy trial as they simply are not prepared because the prosecution is playing these games. The prosecution is supposed to be ready here within 180 days as well, but since they don't like to share, it often takes closer to the 30 month mark for a trial date (on indictable/felony offenses).
I wouldn't say a "good defense" would draw things out on purpose, especially if their clients are sitting in jail. It would make sense if they were out on bail, as it would postpone things and allow for the defense to say that they have not reoffended, or been a nuisance, they have volunteered and so on, to paint them as low risk during sentencing. But, if they are sitting in jail, you would want to get all discovery and all testing done ASAP so that your client could hopefully be found not guilty sooner, and if found guilty, begin their sentence in order to be released sooner. Delaying it by 3 years on purpose seems counter productive to me, as the sentence may be 5 years, so your client would then be serving 8 years, if time served were not to be applied.

JMO

the benefits to the defense stalling a trial is time. Time for witnesses memories to fade. Time for evidence to be lost or accidentally destroyed. Time for people to forget about the press coverage. Time for changes on the bench perhaps a more lenient Judge. Time to keep their client out of prison which is much harsher conditions than county jails. Time for witness to die or disappear/move away/ or decide not to testify. Yes, a witness can be compelled to appear but can not assure the witness will honestly, fully and freely testify as sometimes event contempt charges are not enough to encourage a reluctant witness. Time for a much less aggressive prosecutor to be assigned the case. And more

JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member