TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, 18 Apr 2016 #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has very close ties who have served on GJ multiple times...the reason I say to get a true bill from them is to ensure they have enough evidence to convict. Usually it's only more serious cases that to go GJ, and they have before in Tarrant county spent multiple days on specific case. Also, I understand it's after an arrest. But there is no need for someone to get snarky about it. JMO

ETA, if I'm not mistaken, every felony case has to go through GJ unless they waive their right to a trial, but that's going off memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, you can believe me or not, but I know what I'm talking about here. The comment about the GJ poring over a thick case file etc wasn't directed at you specifically. There have been other comments about the GJ in recent days. What I am trying to do Is correct overall misconceptions about the Texas GJ process including the potential of it uncovering likely suspects - which just doesn't happen.

I'm sure the GJ process in Arkansas is likely different, and the same is true for other states. But I know how it works in Texas, and so my comments come from the high confidence I have that I am right.

And again, my challenge remains. Find an example in Ellis County of a GJ indictment for murder that precedes the arrest warrant. Find one in Texas generally.

But what I would really suggest is that you or anyone Google "TEXAS grand jury returns indictments" and see a plethora of real world examples.
Thanks, I know wasn't directed at me and didn't take it personal. Arkansas doesn't have the GJ process, the Pros Attorney decides (unless I missed something never hear about if so, I will inquire). I do not doubt you knowing how things work, its just that there are the possibilities of it not going like some common. Especially since this one was someone dressed in a SWAT outfit, we (public) have no idea who is or what the scope of how small or large it got be. One thing I will say that will be factual... A ton of people are going to be wrong and a ton of people shocked, and not sure how many will be somewhat right when the arrest is finally made. I will be right there cheering everyone on :loveyou:

As someone who has very close ties who have served on GJ multiple times...the reason I say to get a true bill from them is to ensure they have enough evidence to convict. Usually it's only more serious cases that to go GJ, and they have before in Tarrant county spent multiple days on specific case. Also, I understand it's after an arrest. But there is no need for someone to get snarky about it. JMO

ETA, if I'm not mistaken, every felony case has to go through GJ unless they waive their right to a trial, but that's going off memory.

Yes, in TX it is required that every felony go thru a GJ indictment. Some misdemeanors do, too. But mostly felonies.

Yes, in TX it is required that every felony go thru a GJ indictment. Some misdemeanors do, too. But mostly felonies.

Geeesh! No wonder they use the Texas way and herd they on through ;) for the most part. Interesting process. I still bet they have sealed indictments on more of a regular course of business than one would think. Sheer number of people/felonies in state of Tx, but they have that provision JMHO it's to keep someone for running or destroying evidence. JMHO

LE never responded to my questions I asked. I was being polite :gaah:

Yall are funny! Might make that my profile ;) the one I have now is because someone made fun of me before and said that a bunch make fun of me saying they bet I have post it notes everywhere on my computer. :) thought was funny but they were being rude. Anyways not that I know it all, as I don't for sure, but this is rolling toward the END of thread 41 and not much info at all. Today been 10 months. SO yes pretty much the facts are the facts, we just interpret them just little bit different. Big Hugs you sillies! And if a compliment or not I took it as such

I meant it as a real big compliment! -Nin :tyou:

I don't think that any of us are having fantasies or whimsical wishes for a GJ to clear the way to resolution. Frankly, dear, I don't care how the arrest(s) come about as long as they do.

None of these TX indictments are for murder. There is one manslaughter. She was arrested while she was attending school after GJ manslaughter indictment.

Indictments are only accusations. Defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Given these indictments, including one for money laundering, it is understandable that a GJ could go through dozens of indictments in one day.

Longview, TX Jan. 27, 2017 at 5:26 p.m.
Gregg County grand jury returns indictments

A Gregg County grand jury met Jan. 25 and 26 and returned indictments, Gregg County District Attorney Carl Dorrough's office reported. Six were sealed pending arrests.
https://www.news-journal.com/news/2017/jan/27/gregg-county-grand-jury-returns-indictments/

Princeton, TX Friday, Feb. 17, 2017 1:26 p.m. CST
Grand jury returns 11 indictments

Two cases were suppressed.
http://www.bcrnews.com/2017/02/15/grand-jury-returns-11-indictments/a9lc29o/?page=2

HENDERSON COUNTY, TX (KLTV) -
Thursday, May 12th 2016, 11:22 am CST Updated Tuesday, January 31st 2017
Henderson County grand jury returns indictments

A Henderson County grand jury has returned 55 indictments. [...]
On Monday, District Attorney R. Scott McKee's office released a list of indictments returned during the jury's April 27 meeting, 18 of them sealed.
http://www.kltv.com/story/31958991/henderson-county-grand-jury-returns-indictments

To find this one, I added the word murder. Google "TEXAS grand jury returns [murder] indictments"
SPEEGLEVILLE, TX
Wednesday, December 14th 2016, 6:42 pm CST Updated, Wednesday, February 15th 2017
Police: Teen indicted on manslaughter charges

A teen [17yo] who was charged with manslaughter in December has been indicted on those charges. [...]
Cardoza was arrested at Midway High School.
http://www.kxxv.com/story/34055658/police-teen-indicted-on-manslaughter-charges

LE never responded to my questions I asked. I was being polite :gaah:
Don't take it personal. Maybe something they can't share/clarify for many reason. They also simply may not know the answer to your specific. My questions were just clarification type. On the one that I asked/no answer, I reasked later still no reply although it was read. I just took it as they could not. I am positive they appreciated you being polite. Makes you an awesome Oregonmama ;)

...I still bet they have sealed indictments on more of a regular course of business than one would think. Sheer number of people/felonies in state of Tx, but they have that provision JMHO it's to keep someone for running or destroying evidence. JMHO

Secret indictments have two purposes. One is as you said - to keep suspect from taking flight and destroying evidence. The other reason is so that witnesses can testify without fear of the suspect finding out and intimidating or retaliating.

But as I have said, very rare in Texas. Even the Eric Williams case, in which he was a former JP and had targeted prosecutors and dressed up in police garb to do so - no secret indictments. He was arrested, charged, indicted later just like anyone else.

I can give you one example of indictment preceding arrest in Texas. In the Sandra Bland case, a GJ convened to consider whether certain LE and corrections personnel should be indicted. But it wasn't a secret in that it was announced that they were deliberating the issue as well as who specifically they were looking at. Obviously a very different kind of situation.

I don't think that any of us are having fantasies or whimsical wishes for a GJ to clear the way to resolution. Frankly, dear, I don't care how the arrest(s) come about as long as they do.

None of these TX indictments are for murder. There is one manslaughter. She was arrested while she was attending school after GJ manslaughter indictment.

Indictments are only accusations. Defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Given these indictments, including one for money laundering, it is understandable that a GJ could go through dozens of indictments in one day.
My thing is that just like when I was told and told over and over that there were and could not be any "sealed" warrants in this case... Which I was told when I called Ellis County District Court and asked for clarification- I was told that the Warrant would not be sealed but the Affidavit would and that they would not file the warrant public view until the Affidavit was unsealed. And that in essence it was a sealed warrant.I was just going off of the Texas Statutes said. ... July 1, 2016 I was able to do the :great: dance. Not being a smarty pants, but understanding what I read and did happen. Still feels good! :dance:

I don't think that any of us are having fantasies or whimsical wishes for a GJ to clear the way to resolution. Frankly, dear, I don't care how the arrest(s) come about as long as they do .

You had said in a previous post "lay it out there for the GJ and let them decide who to indict." That would basically be the GJ clearing the way to resolution. Would be extremely rare to happen that way.

I didn't want the GJ topic to turn into an argument and I agree with your last sentence. I'm sure most of us do. Just don't want people to have false hopes every time the GJ is in session, especially with MPD saying they don't have a suspect. I feel like I'm Lauren Holly and y'all are Jim Carey. "So you're saying there's a chance!"

FWIW:
JANUARY 19, 2017
MIDLOTHIAN: Update on Terri “Missy” Leann Bevers murder investigation

"Anyone with information is asked to contact the department’s tip line at 972-775-7624. Tipsters may be eligible for a cash reward and can also remain anonymous by contacting Ellis County Crime Stoppers at 972-937-PAYS (7297). Oak Farms Dairy has offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and grand jury indictment of the person or persons responsible."

http://www.elliscountypress.com/201...erri-missy-leann-bevers-murder-investigation/

You had said in a previous post "lay it out there for the GJ and let them decide who to indict." That would basically be the GJ clearing the way to resolution. Would be extremely rare to happen that way.

I didn't want the GJ topic to turn into an argument and I agree with your last sentence. I'm sure most of us do. Just don't want people to have false hopes every time the GJ is in session, especially with MPD saying they don't have a suspect. I feel like I'm Lauren Holly and y'all are Jim Carey. "So you're saying there's a chance!"

"lay it out there for the GJ and let them decide who to indict."
My original comment was a response to a poll that has led the day, unfortunately. Yes, a GJ could find one Perp more culpable than the other(s) so I stand on the statement. If more than one SP involved then, one, or more, may be given an opp to make a plea to get to the brains behind the mission.

In my state, a GJ True Bill signed by the Grand Jury Foreman must be presented to the District Attorney in the county where the crime occurred for felony murder charges to be upgraded to capital murder charges. An arrest can occur on site, for example, if the perp is standing there in front of LE with the smoking gun that he used to kill his enemy. Again, to get a charge upgraded from manslaughter to murder or to upgrade second degree murder to capital murder charges, would require a secret GJ TB Indictment. The GJ witnesses are sworn to secrecy, as well as the jurors.

If TX Grand Juries are not sworn to secrecy, then we should be informed by MSM regarding who is testifying and what the testimony is by those witnesses, who swear, under oath, to tell the truth. If TX GJs are not conducted in secret then, the jurors are free to tell the media everything every day. Let us not belabor this point any longer. As with everyone here, I just want the proper SP held accountable.

:truce: :loveyou:

Secret indictments have two purposes. One is as you said - to keep suspect from taking flight and destroying evidence. The other reason is so that witnesses can testify without fear of the suspect finding out and intimidating or retaliating.

But as I have said, very rare in Texas. Even the Eric Williams case, in which he was a former JP and had targeted prosecutors and dressed up in police garb to do so - no secret indictments. He was arrested, charged, indicted later just like anyone else.

I can give you one example of indictment preceding arrest in Texas. In the Sandra Bland case, a GJ convened to consider whether certain LE and corrections personnel should be indicted. But it wasn't a secret in that it was announced that they were deliberating the issue as well as who specifically they were looking at. Obviously a very different kind of situation.

The GJ was similar in the Zuzu Verk case to how you described the Sandra Bland case, right?

I think the SP jumped in his vehicle and hauled *advertiser censored*. Blood would have to of gotten somewhere in the vehicle. Find the vehicle and find the SP. Also he would have probably ditched the SWAT uniform ASAP, especially if he was married and his wife was home. Where could the clothes be ditched quickly?
This is avery likely scenario. He/She/They would have to have some blood on them. And I’m even in the “gun” camp. With hammers and pry bars and rage and a big clumsy suit and multiple areas targeted. No way they walk out of there completely clean.

This was SP’s most vulnerable moment. They had about 30 minutes when they had bloody clothing, either on them or withthem. That’s about when the chase/contain from LE would probably have been put in place. In 30 minutes, they were already near Dallas/Fort Worth or in a nearby garage.
It probably took about an hour and or two minimum for LE to review the video tape (finding someone to run it, etc.) And another 3 or 4 to get into her phone and see who she’s been communicating with. And getting BB on the horn to get info from him. So SP is LONG GONE, and they know they are home free, even if they figure out who he/she/they are in 3-4 hours.

Getting rid of a plastic garbage bag is easy. I’m sure it was pre-planned as well. In a strategically placed dumpster. Garbage can, wrapped in two or more plastic bags. Filled with rocks in the bottom of a body of water. Buried in a hole. Heck; I still have a set of Barry Manilow sheet music hidden by “friends” in our house and 5 years later we still can’t find it (and they won’t tell us). Hiding things isn’t that hard.

The car was the other tricky part for them. My bet is they weren’t using their personal automobile in case somebody saw something. Could the Altima be too close to SP so they had to get rid of it? Or are they laughing at the dogs,cats, and topless people that are supposedly being paraded around a nearby gunshop, possibly completely unrelated to the crime.

I know it might not be as exciting as driving bodies around in the back of pickup trucks, but IMO this is what likely happened.

This is avery likely scenario. He/She/They would have to have some blood on them. And I’m even in the “gun” camp. With hammers and pry bars and rage and a big clumsy suit and multiple areas targeted. No way they walk out of there completely clean.

This was SP’s most vulnerable moment. They had about 30 minutes when they had bloody clothing, either on them or withthem. That’s about when the chase/contain from LE would probably have been put in place. In 30 minutes, they were already near Dallas/Fort Worth or in a nearby garage.
It probably took about an hour and or two minimum for LE to review the video tape (finding someone to run it, etc.) And another 3 or 4 to get into her phone and see who she’s been communicating with. And getting BB on the horn to get info from him. So SP is LONG GONE, and they know they are home free, even if they figure out who he/she/they are in 3-4 hours.

Getting rid of a plastic garbage bag is easy. I’m sure it was pre-planned as well. In a strategically placed dumpster. Garbage can, wrapped in two or more plastic bags. Filled with rocks in the bottom of a body of water. Buried in a hole. Heck; I still have a set of Barry Manilow sheet music hidden by “friends” in our house and 5 years later we still can’t find it (and they won’t tell us). Hiding things isn’t that hard.

The car was the other tricky part for them. My bet is they weren’t using their personal automobile in case somebody saw something. Could the Altima be too close to SP so they had to get rid of it? Or are they laughing at the dogs,cats, and topless people that are supposedly being paraded around a nearby gunshop, possibly completely unrelated to the crime.

I know it might not be as exciting as driving bodies around in the back of pickup trucks, but IMO this is what likely happened.

Agree with you.... I don't think they drove too far because they couldn't afford to be pulled over by a cop for any reason at all. The biggest thing they dealt with was getting those clothes off quickly!

tried to post & then was trying to edit and accidentally deleted but here is a screen capture from 7.00 of the front seat of the Altima from the SWFA video - showing the driver and front seat passenger. Don't know if you'll be able to see the detail - it's rather dark.

7.00.png

Mimi, we can go look up and copy-and-paste statutes all day (your example above does not apply btw because it is about federal grand juries, not state). And statutes can tell us how the process CAN work. But they don’t tell us how the process DOES work, in actual practice. And as someone who lives in Texas, I can tell you that in actual practice, the grand jury indictment comes AFTER arrest.
>>
MPD, if and when they come up with a likely suspect, will then go about establishing probable cause. If and when they believe they have it (and they will probably have the DA review their evidence to get agreement), they will then prepare the arrest warrant, have a judge sign it (so now they have the DA and a judge agreeing that there is probable cause), and then go arrest the suspect. When they’ve followed the steps in that order, the grand jury indictment is a slam dunk.

So all this grand jury talk is a waste of space, IMHO. People don't need to hold their breath thinking some magic is going to come out of the process of a GJ being in session. All they are doing is rubber-stamping the hundreds and hundreds of felony arrests that have taken place since the last time they were in session. A grand jury just really isn't that grand.

Respectfully snipped for space. RBBM
Went out to eat and this was still on my mind. Respectfully, it is your opinion of how it works but that is not how the Texas Statute states. And we (Public) do not know if the DA has went to the GJ and/or whether an Indictment has been handed down. I know this from reading the Statutes. And where you state that "I can tell you that in actual practice, the grand jury indictment comes AFTER arrest.", JMHO IF that is what is happening, then its not following the law. Maybe that just your opinion, not sure. But according to Code of Criminal Procedure, the GJ is Secret, if an Indictment is prepared, and the "Suspect -in this case" has not been arrested, that Indictment can Not be entered/recorded made public until the capis has been served and the Suspect is placed in custody or under bond. That means, that the Indictment came before the arrest, not after. And public would not know about it even though an Indictment is prepared, and then the capis served and "Suspect-in this case" is arrested, THEN it would be made public. JMHO for all we know this could have happen and the capis just not served /arrest yet THEN we (public) would be aware.
Again, not trying to argue, just have a discussion. As I do not think it is a waste of space, but informative to others like myself, following the case to know various things that can and will eventually happen. Hopefully soon.

Art. 23.01. DEFINITION OF A "CAPIAS". In this chapter, a "capias" is a writ that is:
(1) issued by a judge of the court having jurisdiction of a case after commitment or bail and before trial, or by a clerk at the direction of the judge; and
(2) directed "To any peace officer of the State of Texas", commanding the officer to arrest a person accused of an offense and bring the arrested person before that court immediately or on a day or at a term stated in the writ. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.23.htm

CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
TITLE 1. CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
CHAPTER 20. DUTIES AND POWERS OF THE GRAND JURY

Art. 20.21. INDICTMENT PRESENTED. When the indictment is ready to be presented, the grand jury shall through their foreman, deliver the indictment to the judge or clerk of the court. At least nine members of the grand jury must be present on such occasion.

Art. 20.22. PRESENTMENT ENTERED OF RECORD. (a) The fact of a presentment of indictment by a grand jury shall be entered in the record of the court, if the defendant is in custody or under bond, noting briefly the style of the criminal action, the file number of the indictment, and the defendant's name.
(b) If the defendant is not in custody or under bond at the time of the presentment of indictment, the indictment may not be made public and the entry in the record of the court relating to the indictment must be delayed until the capias is served and the defendant is placed in custody or under bond. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.20.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member