TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #46

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about the mindset of a burglar in dark isolated church, in the middle of the night during a storm, feeling like he's got all the time in the world and free reign over the place. I've tossed around the idea that MB surprised SP by coming up behind him while he was making noise and didn't hear her approach from behind. I think that's really likely.

The other scenario could also be true, that SP heard MB arrive and hid, hoping he could avoid detection and get away. Maybe he drew his weapon just in case he had to intimidate or shoot his way out.

So in the church, SP is doing his thing -and then he hears the doors swing open and rattle. He hears squeaky wet sneakers on the tile down the hall and maybe a voice call out. This would not, in fact, be his worst case scenario, which would be: LE entering the building loudly announcing themselves several times as Midlothian Police. The sound of heavy feet, the jangly sound of a suited up, accessorized officer.

If the burglar had heard police would he have drawn his weapon and waited to assassinate an officer or die by cop? Did he sense that there was someone in the building he "still had a chance" against and instead hatched his stupid plan that included hiding, waiting, shooting his way out? - and didn't expect MB to object and maybe stand in his way?

All my opinions. And also want to add I'm really enjoying the level of discussion here lately.
I know it m
Acting out his or her fantasies..?

-Nin
I know this is probably a take that's already out there or comes off a little sketchy, but I was wondering if you go along with the thought that MB was targeted, what if the police gear on the SP was designed to help in that. Say the suspect worries that the church alarm will go off or if they know how to get in without setting it off, they worry MB will be more cautious or bolt if she notices something is up.
If MB arrived and felt like something was off or saw the SP, the SP could easily have helped ease her/put her guard down by pretending to be an officer responding to the alarm system (whether it went off or not it seems like an okay excuse) and asking her to show them around the building/making an excuse to get her alone and attack.
I definitely know it's straw-grasping and speculative, but I figured this is the place where theories abound and I can label this as viable or not. Did the police ever say if they had gotten the actual attack on camera or was that in a camera blindspot/not disclosed at all. Any thoughts to bounce this off of or more info is appreciated!

He has denied that there were ever any financial issues. In “Still a Mystery” he said something along the lines of, “They said there were financial problems. No there weren’t!”

As for the rest of it, this is the second interview where he has referred to having an easy life. And when you look at everything other than the infidelities, he’s right. He’s thinking of things like three great children, him having a good job, Everybody healthy, no accidents or tragic deaths. I think he looks at infidelity as something that a lot of marriages go through. But take that out of the equation and the Bevers had never had to experience real turbulence or loss.
Really?! I wonder what MB thought about that.

Missy had two regular early bird campers who preferred to work out at 4:30 rather than 5:00. Then there was a new camper who was going to join the early bird workout that morning for the first time. One of the regulars decided to sleep in and skip class that morning. The other regular had a flat tire on the way. The new early bird is the one who got there at 4:30 or 4:35 and thought the door was locked. The camper with the flat tire finally got there at 5 and that’s when they entered the church.

GS, if it had not been raining that morning, would it have changed MB's routine in any way that we know of, besides not having to carry in workout equipment? Meaning, would she have parked, where she did and have used the same entrance to unlock the door for campers, who may had to use the bathrooms? Would anything else have been substantially different? Thanks.

-Nin

GS, if it had not been raining that morning, would it have changed MB's routine in any way that we know of, besides not having to carry in workout equipment? Meaning, would she have parked, where she did and have used the same entrance to unlock the door for campers, who may had to use the bathrooms? Would anything else have been substantially different? Thanks.

-Nin
She would not have parked her truck under the awning. She would have parked in the back or side area of the parking lot. Campers would have parked near her vehicle and if they needed something out of her truck they could have gotten it individually. They would have worked out in the parking lot between the south side of the building and the back edge of the lot where the pavement ends. Missy would have unlocked the SW awning door regardless, because the bathrooms are right there.

She would not have parked her truck under the awning. She would have parked in the back or side area of the parking lot. Campers would have parked near her vehicle and if they needed something out of her truck they could have gotten it individually. They would have worked out in the parking lot between the south side of the building and the back edge of the lot where the pavement ends. Missy would have unlocked the SW awning door regardless, because the bathrooms are right there.

She would have unlocked the SW door, but not necessarily entered..?

-Nin

Missy had two regular early bird campers who preferred to work out at 4:30 rather than 5:00. Then there was a new camper who was going to join the early bird workout that morning for the first time. One of the regulars decided to sleep in and skip class that morning. The other regular had a flat tire on the way. The new early bird is the one who got there at 4:30 or 4:35 and thought the door was locked. The camper with the flat tire finally got there at 5 and that’s when they entered the church.
To follow up, so the early bird (new) or the regular flat tire person would have been the one to call Brandon?

To follow up, so the early bird (new) or the regular flat tire person would have been the one to call Brandon?
No. As Brandon himself just talked about in the Think Theo podcast, the first call was from a woman telling him that he needed to get to the church, that something had happened to Missy. Then about 10 mins later her husband called him to tell him that Missy was no longer with us.

That couple were not early birds.

It’s impossible to know. Missy arrived before everyone else. So one can only assume that she unlocked it and returned to the parking lot normally, unless she needed to use the restroom first.

I understand Missy was a few minutes later than usual that morning ? If she had not been later than usual that morning, she may have had perhaps 20-30 min before any early campers would arrive? I recall the CG instructors were always setting up some kind of a welcome table with CG info etc. for any new people showing up. So that may have been in general one of MB's early morning routines prior to anyone showing up. If she had planned to do it that morning as well, it would have to be under the awning in front of the church entrance or possibly indoors. I am just trying to figure out, what the normal routine would be for MB getting everything ready for camp including herself.

-Nin

I understand Missy was a few minutes later than usual that morning ? If she had not been later than usual that morning, she may have had perhaps 20-30 min before any early campers would arrive? I recall the CG instructors were always setting up some kind of a welcome table with CG info etc. for any new people showing up. So that may have been in general one of MB's early morning routines prior to anyone showing up. If she had planned to do it that morning as well, it would have to be under the awning in front of the church entrance or possibly indoors. I am just trying to figure out, what the normal routine would be for MB getting everything ready for camp including herself.

-Nin
She did normally arrive closer to 4 am. Which is another reason it would be odd for SP to be prying into room 1 right at 4 and then walking past the entrance without a glance and proceeding to the other side of the church, if they were there for Missy.

I don’t have any info on table setup and things like that.

I know it m

I know this is probably a take that's already out there or comes off a little sketchy, but I was wondering if you go along with the thought that MB was targeted, what if the police gear on the SP was designed to help in that. Say the suspect worries that the church alarm will go off or if they know how to get in without setting it off, they worry MB will be more cautious or bolt if she notices something is up.
If MB arrived and felt like something was off or saw the SP, the SP could easily have helped ease her/put her guard down by pretending to be an officer responding to the alarm system (whether it went off or not it seems like an okay excuse) and asking her to show them around the building/making an excuse to get her alone and attack.
I definitely know it's straw-grasping and speculative, but I figured this is the place where theories abound and I can label this as viable or not. Did the police ever say if they had gotten the actual attack on camera or was that in a camera blindspot/not disclosed at all. Any thoughts to bounce this off of or more info is appreciated!
The actual attack was not on camera, according to police. Some have mentioned what you’re saying, the idea that the outfit was chosen to give Missy a false sense of security and allow SP to get close. But now that we know SP used a gun to shoot Missy, you have to question whether getting super-close was a concern on SP’s part. It would seem more likely that the outfit’s main role was to disguise for the cameras that were in plain sight with signs posted on the grounds.

She did normally arrive closer to 4 am. Which is another reason it would be odd for SP to be prying into room 1 right at 4 and then walking past the entrance without a glance and proceeding to the other side of the church, if they were there for Missy.

I don’t have any info on table setup and things like that.
A burglar would be highly aware of cameras, it's their job. It's one thing to stand far away at the door to room#1 and look directly at the SW camera while wearing concealing clothing, but a burglar knows to turn away when in close range IMOO.

JMO 4:00AM is very late for a commercial burglary. I had no luck searching for time of commercial burglary statistics other than at night while stores are closed. I do know that construction, landscaping, military, and breakfast restaurant workers are all leaving for work starting about 4:30AM IMOO.

Mostly if NIN's Face person in the Altima had communication with SP, then the Face is not a mere passenger but a lookout so SP has no need to peer through the glass for MB's truck or watch for headlights. If this is a burglary gone bad, the same lookout theory can apply and SP may have thought it was some security or alarm company guy, even a rural deputy, when the Face radioed about the big unmarked truck entering the driveway. Maybe that's why he went into overkill because in SP's mind he expected a man who would fight?

A burglar would be highly aware of cameras, it's their job. It's one thing to stand far away at the door to room#1 and look directly at the SW camera while wearing concealing clothing, but a burglar knows to turn away when in close range IMOO.

JMO 4:00AM is very late for a commercial burglary. I had no luck searching for time of commercial burglary statistics other than at night while stores are closed. I do know that construction, landscaping, military, and breakfast restaurant workers are all leaving for work starting about 4:30AM IMOO.

Mostly if NIN's Face person in the Altima had communication with SP, then the Face is not a mere passenger but a lookout so SP has no need to peer through the glass for MB's truck or watch for headlights. If this is a burglary gone bad, the same lookout theory can apply and SP may have thought it was some security or alarm company guy, even a rural deputy, when the Face radioed about the big unmarked truck entering the driveway. Maybe that's why he went into overkill because in SP's mind he expected a man who would fight?
Anything is possible, I’ll say that up front. It may turn out that there were 4 or 5 or 6 people in a big van. Maybe one person broke the NE doors and someone else messed up the window frame and someone else broke into the kitchen. All of that is possible, as is myriad other scenarios we could conjure up.

Possible. But what is plausible? What is actually indicated by the evidence that we know of? We have one and only one perp on camera. Police themselves have said it’s just the one on the inside of the church. Even if you believe the Altima is connected, you can’t hang your hat on what may or may not be a face in the passenger seat (apologies to Nin, but the enhanced images so far would never convince a jury of anything). And they have described in warrants what they see on the person of the perp, including the helmet with the mounted lighting and the gloves and the tools and whatever. But what they don’t mention anywhere is seeing any kind of communication device. So why do we need to invent things like walkie talkies or phones and 1 or more accomplices when the evidence thus far does not support it? It just seems like unnecessarily complicating what is before us. Kind of like when some people (not you) want to think that the perp knew everything about the cameras including every inch of dead spots and created this complicated choreography. If we have to reverse-engineer everything in order to get things to fit, doesn’t that say something about flaws in the theory? Just a thought. Kind of like using numerology to decode hidden Bible messages. It’s sound logic only if I am not spending all my energy force-fitting some rules so that they eventually say, “Justin Bieber is the Antichrist” or whatever.

So for me, explaining the lack of concern about the time and the entrances by passing it off to a “lookout” is problematic. The lookout is a deus ex machina that makes it all work.

As for commercial burglary, 4 am might be late for a for-profit business. But this isn’t a business, it’s a church. And most burglars would not expect anyone whatsoever to be inside a church at 4 am on a Monday morning. Or 5 am for that matter. You do make a good point about burglars being very aware of cameras. It was only recently that I started to consider that SP isn’t interested in Holy Grounds and that they’re probably just turning away from the camera.

Last edited:
The actual attack was not on camera, according to police. Some have mentioned what you’re saying, the idea that the outfit was chosen to give Missy a false sense of security and allow SP to get close. But now that we know SP used a gun to shoot Missy, you have to question whether getting super-close was a concern on SP’s part. It would seem more likely that the outfit’s main role was to disguise for the cameras that were in plain sight with signs posted on the grounds.
I always assumed it was chosen for disguise but also highly appealing to SP on a personal level. There are much simpler disguises: a bandana or balaclava, ball cap and fake glasses with a baggy long coat, for eg. I do think the chosen outfit is so unusual, it must have a psychological and/or practical dimension.

I was just reading through the Geofence warrant, and I keep coming back to the same part. At 2:23 a.m., "motion activated cameras [plural] in the building are first activated but they do not capture any person or the cause of the activation."

First, did multiple cameras activate? If so, I wonder which ones they were. Second, these are cameras IN the building according to the warrant. How does this match up with someone checking to see if an alarm system is triggered? I would imagine an alarm would be triggered by breaching the exterior and not by something in the hallways, the location of the interior cameras. Also, that sentence quoted above indicates that was the first time the cameras were triggered. I wonder if they were triggered again before 3:50.

Also, the Geofence warrant ends at 3:45 a.m., 5 minutes prior to SP being seen on camera. Do they have reason to suspect that the activity at SWFA is connected to the murder? It's interesting that they are still looking for the driver of that car, but none of the other cars were mentioned in the most recent press release.

And lastly, why did MPD take so long to release the SWFA video? I fear that the processing of the scene was botched (the scene was released after only 7 hours... even before the ATF dog returned), and much of the valuable evidence could have been lost forever. I also think that the processing time indicates that there was not a tremendous amount of blood spatter... interesting for someone who was shot and then hit with a hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova