TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
... it's so hard for me to fathom she walked towards a sound/sight instead of turning and going back to her truck for the gun and then possibly checking it out. What was it that sent her TOWARDS it?

She might not have. We don't know that what MB heard sent her towards that sound, or that it made her actually aware of "someone being in the building." It's just a possibility. All that was said is that she apparently heard "something" but what she thought of what she heard, whether she identified it as a person, and how she then responded to the sound (or didn't), that part we don't know.

The only info we have about that event is from the podiatrist.
-- In a videoed interview he said "You could tell she heard something." But he doesn't actually say anything more about her actions, and doesn't tell us where she was in the building, nor whether she was seen walking further after hearing the sound.
-- One reporter said that the podiatrist said "He says she turned her head, startled, appearing to hear something off camera" but again there's no further info on that moment or after.

So we can't say she identified the sound, or deliberately went towards the sound, although that's certainly one possibility.

Last edited:
She might not have. We don't know that what MB heard sent her towards that sound, or that it made her actually aware of someone being in the building. It's just a possibility.

The only info we have about that event is from the podiatrist. In a videoed interview he said "You could tell she heard something." But he doesn't actually say anything more about her actions, and doesn't tell us where she was in the building, nor whether she was seen walking further after hearing the sound. One reporter said that the podiatrist said "He says she turned her head, startled, appearing to hear something off camera" but again there's no further info on that moment or after.

So we can't say she deliberately went towards the sound, although that's certainly one possibility.
Although Nirenberg doesn’t say much, we have Spann’s comments on day 1 that do fill in some blanks. He said, “We see her in the video, she’s walking down the main hallway, in the vicinity of where we located her. But when she gets out of the range of the cameras, it doesn’t pick up the motion and the camera turns off.”

The simplest interpretation of that statement, I would think, is that she came in the SW entrance doors and first appears on camera there, walking north along that “main hallway” which can only be the west hallway. And she goes past where the camera can detect her motion and it cuts off.

So the doctor has to have seen that specific segment. It’s the only camera that could catch her. The only nuance I can think of is that maybe, just maybe, she could have turned right into the auditorium at those doors that are near the purplish table. That would have caused the camera to cut off. But the way Spann worded it seems more like she kept walking beyond the camera motion activation range, not that she went somewhere that was out of sight of the lens. And whatever steps she took, she was dead within two minutes and she was further north than people initially thought. There isn’t a lot of time for that to happen if there had been any detours.

My guess is that SP KNEW that Missy would recognize her, thus the ridiculous unisex get-up.

There's also the possibility - this being a small town and all - that the perp wasn't there to target MB, but in an unfortunate turn of events, MB did happen to recognize the perp after encountering him in the building, causing perp to feel the need to shoot her to try to cover up his criminal activity.

Although Nirenberg doesn’t say much, we have Spann’s comments on day 1 that do fill in some blanks. He said, “We see her in the video, she’s walking down the main hallway, in the vicinity of where we located her. But when she gets out of the range of the cameras, it doesn’t pick up the motion and the camera turns off.”

Yep. But unfortunately, none of that tells us where MB was when she heard that sound, what she thought it was, or whether she made any movement after that, that was deliberately intended to go toward the sound or not.

We need to see the video to be able to draw better conclusions. But we haven't been given that opportunity.

The video apparently took her almost all the way to the murder spot and then stopped recording. Right? ("We see her in the video...in the vicinity of where we located her")

So the point at which she heard the sound could have been a relatively LONG time prior to the murder - a minute or two, perhaps, just as she comes through the doors into the foyer. Or it could have been in a very few seconds before she vanishes off cam and is shot. Or anywhere in between.

The point is, where she was and how soon thereafter the attack happened - which are pieces of info we don't know - might inform us as to whether she deliberately went towards the sound, as opposed to having the alternate opportunity to go get her gun or to flee. Maybe she heard something, and then dismissed it, to her peril. We also don't know which direction she looked, and maybe she wasn't sure which direction it came from, and looked around to see if she could see anything, and then didn't see anything so continued about her business.

Or maybe she heard something, at that point noticed the "police officer" already there in the building, noticed all the doors open, and went to ask the officer what was going on. That's possible as well.

Yep. But unfortunately, none of that tells us where MB was when she heard that sound, what she thought it was, or whether she made any movement after that, that was deliberately intended to go toward the sound or not.

We need to see the video to be able to draw better conclusions. But we haven't been given that opportunity.

The video apparently took her almost all the way to the murder spot and then stopped recording. Right? ("We see her in the video...in the vicinity of where we located her")

So the point at which she heard the sound could have been a relatively LONG time prior to the murder - a minute or two, perhaps, just as she comes through the doors into the foyer. Or it could have been in a very few seconds before she vanishes off cam and is shot. Or anywhere in between.

The point is, where she was and how soon thereafter the attack happened - which are pieces of info we don't know - might inform us as to whether she deliberately went towards the sound, as opposed to having the alternate opportunity to go get her gun or to flee. Maybe she heard something, and then dismissed it, to her peril. We also don't know which direction she looked, and maybe she wasn't sure which direction it came from, and looked around to see if she could see anything, and then didn't see anything so continued about her business.

Or maybe she heard something, at that point noticed the "police officer" already there in the building, noticed all the doors open, and went to ask the officer what was going on. That's possible as well.
Other points to keep in mind... Spann admits in that press conference that he has not seen any of the video. He has only seen still shots as he calls them. So he is relying upon whatever those frames tell him as well as whatever info is being given to him by other people who did see the video. And he is talking off the cuff in that presser, answering questions without relying on prepared remarks. So his verbiage of “vicinity of where we located her” might mean something or it might not.

Also, Nirenberg erred when he said only that Missy “heard” something. The surveillance footage did not have sound. So it’s impossible for the doctor to see Missy jerk her head and conclude it was because she “heard” something. Could be that she “saw” something. Or maybe both. So yes, a lot of unknowns here still.

The simplest interpretation of that statement, I would think, is that she came in the SW entrance doors and first appears on camera there, walking north along that “main hallway” which can only be the west hallway. And she goes past where the camera can detect her motion and it cuts off.

So the doctor has to have seen that specific segment. It’s the only camera that could catch her. The only nuance I can think of is that maybe, just maybe, she could have turned right into the auditorium at those doors that are near the purplish table. That would have caused the camera to cut off. But the way Spann worded it seems more like she kept walking beyond the camera motion activation range, not that she went somewhere that was out of sight of the lens. And whatever steps she took, she was dead within two minutes and she was further north than people initially thought. There isn’t a lot of time for that to happen if there had been any detours.
I remember to have seen police/forensics behind the closed glass doors of the West entrance, very fuzzy and blurred, bent over the floor. So my thought had been since, the SP might have waited for Missy within the West foyer, because there were no cameras (??). SP had to make some noise on purpose, for Missy looking for the reason of that noise. When she showed up, he attacked her - in my opinion (still today) his goal that night. - I maybe totally wrong.

I remember to have seen police/forensics behind the closed glass doors of the West entrance, very fuzzy and blurred, bent over the floor. So my thought had been since, the SP might have waited for Missy within the West foyer, because there were no cameras (??). SP had to make some noise on purpose, for Missy looking for the reason of that noise. When she showed up, he attacked her - in my opinion (still today) his goal that night. - I maybe totally wrong.
I too remember this. I wonder if there is still photos or video out there to show this?

I remember that pic, also...I was going through old thread the other day and came across it, but didn't enlarge. Not sure who posted it, but it was definitely at the front entrance a bit to the right. Very blurry but you could see that some investigative activity was going on. Was outside of cubs corner and at the time we speculated that Missy was looking for the light switch in that area and was attacked there. jmo

Mimi was on the lightswitch hunt and I think she found it above an electrical outlet outside cubs corner? I think there is a pic, but not sure. Lol. I remember praising her for the find.....JMO
Here is a pic. Of course, there’s no way to tell which lights it controls.

BE1F4E31-406B-4D8B-8B31-C8C2CE9238B5.jpeg

I would also point out that there is a much closer light switch to the entrance where Missy came in. It’s right as you turn down the south hall. But again, no telling which lights it controls.

0D05BEA6-225C-41ED-8041-9129DB068718.jpeg

But honestly, I doubt Missy would have messed with a light switch. The church interior is pretty well lit at night:
00652735-7978-4868-8329-19E044086704.png

Here is a pic. Of course, there’s no way to tell which lights it controls.

View attachment 296157

I would also point out that there is a much closer light switch to the entrance where Missy came in. It’s right as you turn down the south hall. But again, no telling which lights it controls.

View attachment 296158

But honestly, I doubt Missy would have messed with a light switch. The church interior is pretty well lit at night:
View attachment 296159

True. But she would look for a switch if she had changed her mind about holding class outside to inside due to inclement weather. As you say, tho, that switch isn't necessarily the one needed to light the prospective workout area. Dunno, just speculation. jmo

Last edited:

There should be two pieces of video from two separate cameras (one from each) spliced together.

Missy would first appear on a video from the SW camera that looks east (looks down the south hall) as it is the only camera that shows the doors at the SW. In this video she would appear at the right of the view and cross the view to the left (heading north) - a distance of 20 feet or so. Once she went out of range of that camera at the left of the view she would then appear on a video from the SW camera that looks north (shows the west hall) before going out of range of that camera - she would be seen from behind in this video. Those two videos would have to be spliced together to make one video sequence to show Missy enter and continue on to the north and then out of view.

This two camera sequence is most likely.

For completeness, if Missy only appeared on one camera there are 4 scenarios.

1. She only appears on the SW camera looking north (shows the west hall). This would be least likely because all the various descriptions mention seeing Missy entering the church and it is physically impossible for this camera to show her entering the church since it is looking in the opposite direction of the doors she entered and it would only show her from behind walking north.

2. She only appears on the SW camera looking east (shows the south hall). Missy crosses from left to right and goes out of view. This would mean that the SW camera looking north is no longer functioning.

3. She only appears on the SW camera looking east (shows the south hall). Missy heads to the alcove at the SW doors of the auditorium where we last saw SP in the South hall and goes out of view.

4. She only appears on the SW camera looking east (shows the south hall). Missy heads down the south hall until she goes out of range of the camera.

Those 5 scenarios are the entirety of the video possibilities showing Missy.

For those reading along that have trouble with the directions/halls/etc. I have attached two images.

The first image shows the view that the first camera has - Missy almost certainly appears on video from this camera.
The second image shows the view that the second camera has - Missy should have appeared on video from this camera as well.

Attachments

• SouthHallReference.png
    SouthHallReference.png
    296.9 KB · Views: 30
  • WestHallReference.png
    WestHallReference.png
    329.5 KB · Views: 31
Mimi was on the lightswitch hunt and I think she found it above an electrical outlet outside cubs corner? I think there is a pic, but not sure. Lol. I remember praising her for the find.....JMO

I misremembered my praise for Mimi finding the light switch...I was praising her for finding the DIMMER switch in the main hall toward the north side on the outside of the sanctuary. Although Missy never made it that far to use it. Discussion and pics are on thread #44 page 21 or posts #'s 403 through 410. Interesting to check out. We did not know then, about the gun being used, but it makes more sense now, in retrospect. jmo

There should be two pieces of video from two separate cameras (one from each) spliced together.

Missy would first appear on a video from the SW camera that looks east (looks down the south hall) as it is the only camera that shows the doors at the SW. In this video she would appear at the right of the view and cross the view to the left (heading north) - a distance of 20 feet or so. Once she went out of range of that camera at the left of the view she would then appear on a video from the SW camera that looks north (shows the west hall) before going out of range of that camera - she would be seen from behind in this video. Those two videos would have to be spliced together to make one video sequence to show Missy enter and continue on to the north and then out of view.

This two camera sequence is most likely.

For completeness, if Missy only appeared on one camera there are 4 scenarios.

1. She only appears on the SW camera looking north (shows the west hall). This would be least likely because all the various descriptions mention seeing Missy entering the church and it is physically impossible for this camera to show her entering the church since it is looking in the opposite direction of the doors she entered and it would only show her from behind walking north.

2. She only appears on the SW camera looking east (shows the south hall). Missy crosses from left to right and goes out of view. This would mean that the SW camera looking north is no longer functioning.

3. She only appears on the SW camera looking east (shows the south hall). Missy heads to the alcove at the SW doors of the auditorium where we last saw SP in the South hall and goes out of view.

4. She only appears on the SW camera looking east (shows the south hall). Missy heads down the south hall until she goes out of range of the camera.

Those 5 scenarios are the entirety of the video possibilities showing Missy.

For those reading along that have trouble with the directions/halls/etc. I have attached two images.

The first image shows the view that the first camera has - Missy almost certainly appears on video from this camera.
The second image shows the view that the second camera has - Missy should have appeared on video from this camera as well.

Jethro, the outside camera (porte cochere) would also show her entering.

-Nin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members