TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that the general belief on this case discussion has turned from one of targeted (generally, not every poster!) in the year after Missy's murder to generally not targeted now. Imo.

It seems to be an opinion strongly held by a few posters on the thread. Again, in my opinion. Long time members who feel it was targeted seem to drop off this discussion as the years go on and the non-targeted group remains seemingly invested in debating their position and many of the targeted group don't remain to squabble about it. I find this fascinating. Why this case, of all case, is there a chasm about a detail regarding point of view for the direction of the investigation? Interesting thoughts to ponder.

Has LE's viewpoint on targeted versus non-targeted also changed? All signs (and it's not been many) we've seen from them seem to indicate that they have been investigating it as targeted. But surely tips of many kinds have come in over the years. I hope one day Missy and her family will get justice.

I find it interesting that the general belief on this case discussion has turned from one of targeted (generally, not every poster!) in the year after Missy's murder to generally not targeted now. Imo.

It seems to be an opinion strongly held by a few posters on the thread. Again, in my opinion. Long time members who feel it was targeted seem to drop off this discussion as the years go on and the non-targeted group remains seemingly invested in debating their position and many of the targeted group don't remain to squabble about it. I find this fascinating. Why this case, of all case, is there a chasm about a detail regarding point of view for the direction of the investigation? Interesting thoughts to ponder.

Has LE's viewpoint on targeted versus non-targeted also changed? All signs (and it's not been many) we've seen from them seem to indicate that they have been investigating it as targeted. But surely tips of many kinds have come in over the years. I hope one day Missy and her family will get justice.

I think the reason people move on from the targeted idea is that in hindsight, by now, after almost 7 years, police would have investigated everyone closest to the victim. Therefore, it must have been a stranger and a non-targeted crime.

I think this was a targeted crime, either against the church or Missy Bevers specifically. I am not going to go into all the reasons I think this because I have already posted them, but this is either a targeted crime, in my opinion, or a very strange burglar. In my opinion, there is no urgency by the burglar in the church video to go directly to the church office to try to find the money. We have no idea, as far as I know, as to what the burglar was driving.

For example, if the plan had been to steal objects that needed to be moved, having their vehicle closer to the entrance of the building would have helped. Maybe the police have the vehicle on surveillance tape, but I doubt it.

The possibility remains that this could have been a very clever person who made a murder look like a burglary. Or the circumstances surrounding the case make it appear that way to people like me. For example, the actual murder is not on video. Did the murderer get lucky where they stood when they encountered Missy Bevers? That is a possibility. Having that interaction on video would have given us a lot more insight into the reaction of Missy Bevers and the burglar when they crossed paths in the church.

The reason this is such a clever crime, or looks that way, is that till this day it leaves open the likely possibility that it could have just been some strange burglar who was caught by surprise inside Creekside Church in the early morning hours of April 18th, 2016.

I think the reason people move on from the targeted idea is that in hindsight, by now, after almost 7 years, police would have investigated everyone closest to the victim. Therefore, it must have been a stranger and a non-targeted crime.

I think this was a targeted crime, either against the church or Missy Bevers specifically. I am not going to go into all the reasons I think this because I have already posted them, but this is either a targeted crime, in my opinion, or a very strange burglar. In my opinion, there is no urgency by the burglar in the church video to go directly to the church office to try to find the money. We have no idea, as far as I know, as to what the burglar was driving.
I agree with you - this is just too weird of a crime to be totally random. Lots of crimes are solved decades later and it's someone close to the victim, but they don't have evidence. IMO only, but my belief is the police have some idea of who it could be but not enough evidence to charge them.

I only check this case every few months these days, but was always amazed nothing came out of that creepy car video with lights turning on and off in the parking lot. I remember they were trying to track down an identifying bumper sticker at one point, I wonder how far they chased that car lead.

My opinion

Not a hit.
Not a burglar.
Not a vandal.
Not a gamer.

Someone who could identify Missy but never expected to encounter her or be seen by her.

My theory: as a result of that break-in, staged burglary, reactive murder, (MOO) the church got an enhanced security system.

I don't know who was responsible but I think it addresses the why.

JMO

I strongly believe it was targeted, most because it’s a really strange crime. I really struggle to believe someone went to all the effort of getting a disguise which covered all of him/her, to break into a church early in the morning just to steal something. It makes no sense.

Actually, nothing makes sense, but I feel it’s too extreme to be merely coincidental. Additionally, if this was a burglary, why kill her? It’s a big building, the perp could have waited for Missy to go in her room and then slipped out. It’s just a really strange crime. Poor Missy.

I believe it was non-targeted because they are the most difficult to solve and there were a lot of LE resources poured into this at the beginning. Also, the most likely suspects if this had been a targeted murder are not criminal masterminds. They could not have pulled off something like this and not been caught, IMO.

I think this was 100% targeted.

Pre-meditated murders can be hard to solve if a very solid alibi has been set up.

"Why" was Missy killed. What was the motive?

The original arguments leaning towards a targeted murder were based on
1 the husband probably did it, or got someone to do it, because that's how these things tend to happen
2 LE wanted info on people who would have a motive to target MB
3 an untargeted murder, with MB in wrong place and wrong time, gives no pool of suspects to work with.

But over time, it has become obvious that none of those really worked. The hubby was out of town, and although they undoubtedly looked, there was no evidence of him getting someone to do it (or wanting it done, as well). LE looked at all the possible suspects who might have had reason to target her, and zip.

Once you get past that (understandable) bias and look at the case with an open mind, everything we have come to know points way more to this being a wrong place, wrong time murder.
1 loser perp came at an hour when no one would be there for many hours - and may have expected to be there alone for several more hours to keep finding and deciding what to take
2 the costume tells us nothing other than the fact that the loser perp didn't want to be identified and get caught -- and that would be just as true for a break-in and robbery as for a murder
3 the actions of the perp on video are those of a burglar looking for things to steal
... that's obvious to all who look at it, as even the ones who favor "targeting" say he indeed was doing the actions of a person looking for things to steal but he was just doing a charade -- so they too agree that's exactly what it looks like
4 from what we have learned over the years, the loser perp did none of the things of a person waiting for a certain person to kill -- he was not ready when she came in the door, with her hands full and before she could respond .... instead MB had to choose to wander all the way from one side of the building to the other, before loser perp killed her, leaving it to chance that she would ever be in that place or that she wouldn't get alerted before she happened to get to that spot and be able to flee
5 we have also learned that MB was killed by gunshot, and it's very questionable whether any of this was hand to hand or involved any sort of a beating, which also would seem to make it less personal and thus less likely to be targeted.
6 while we do know this loser perp didn't steal anything (as far as we know), we don't know why -- and once there was a murder, it would have been incredibly stupid to take anything that could later link him to a murder

Combine that with the fact that LE has now had time to run down possibilities of all the possible suspects who might have had reason to target her, finding nothing, so the OBVIOUS answer we're faced with is that it is simply what it looks like-- this loser burglar broke in, super scared of being caught so fully disguised, and went door-to-door around the building looking for loot, until he happened to encounter MB and for some reason shot and killed her and ran away.

With no connection to MB, the loser perp burglar is hard to find.

While we can invent scenarios to try to deny what we see (and think of it as a really stupid killer who is doing all kinds of things that didn't serve his purpose) or imagine not-in-evidence ideas to support what we want to think, we don't have any objective reason pointing us that way.

That's the answer to why those who have stayed here looking at this case tend to think this was not targeted -- ""the evidence we now have points that way" is why.

That's where I am as well. All the evidence says one thing. So that has pushed me to the Not Targeted camp, and there's been nothing that objectively points us in the other direction.

Last edited:
I don't understand why if it was a targeted murder, why Missy wasn't ambushed by the entrance. The perp would be able to get it done quickly and leave before others arrived.

If it was a targeted KNOWN killer, that would explain the disguise. We can't even decide if that's a man or woman. I would imagine that if someone in the local community murdered her, it would be easier to identify them if the disguise was poor. Hence the SWAT kit.

Again, if it was targeted, why do a tour of the building? As I said before Missy could be ambushed and murdered without her going through the building. Would most locals know the layout of the building?.

The tour by the murdered indicates to me its not a professional killer. This person is unable to simply lie in wait. Instead he/she wanders through the building nonchalantly peering into rooms and trying doors. He's in no hurry.

If it was a thief, I'd imagine he'd be faster. Yes, it's very early morning, but thieves tend not to take their time. In the video provided the perp hasn't a bag to carry stuff, nor do they start making a pile of stuff to take. Wouldn't a thief want to be able to run for it if disturbed? This person couldn't do a fast walk let alone run and for a thief, the outfit is over the top too.

I keep returning to the disguise. I think it's used because the perp would otherwise be very quickly identified. Meaning they're local, family/friend, a well known person in the area or someone with a criminal record.

Why this was done is the biggest question. Someone went to a lot of effort. Why?
Whether targetting Missy or just doing their own thing, I think SP was getting their jollies swaggering around leisurely in their impressive uniform: feeling they could barge into any place they wanted to go, and break stuff, and check it all out openly. Not lurking or skulking.

There are a lot of lights outside where Missy parked. I'm linking this video of Gumshoe driving up like Missy would have.

Psychologically, hiding behind the building, out in the pouring rain, watching for her vehicle, then hurredly limping across the parking lot to peer around the corner and catch her out of her car but not yet in the building - risking her seeing and driving off, while their own car is far away on the other side of the building...seems very unlikely SP would do that, to me.

This doesn't mean SP was targetting her and decided to wait inside...but if it was targetted, I don't feel the outdoor option would have been chosen by this particular perp.

I think it's one of the most bizarre crimes I've encountered, whether targetted or not, it makes no sense to me either way. However, I think the most convincing argument for me comes from a youtuber who said, someone 'lying in wait' for their victim wouldn't be so absorbed in breaking glass to get into classrooms on the back hallway, auditorium, etc, they'd be more alert to the possibility of her arriving.

JMO

I think LE focussed initially on the possibility of it being targetted because that's how good policework proceeds. First-degree murder is a more serious crime, it would have involved pre-planning by someone who knew Missy, they'd want to start by trying to detect any evidence of that.

I personally don't think the point of either LE or WS is to guess 'right', like scoring on a quiz. I think solving crimes is a process of elimination, and making hard and fast judgements is what leads to tunnel vision.

JMO

I'm strongly on the targeted side. The killer wanted it to look like a burglary. Maybe someone who had been rejected by Missy or was jealous of her. It might even be some strange wacko who wanted to prove he could get away with murder. I don't watch many movies, but does this crime resemble anything you've ever seen in one, or read in a novel?

I'm strongly on the targeted side. The killer wanted it to look like a burglary. Maybe someone who had been rejected by Missy or was jealous of her. It might even be some strange wacko who wanted to prove he could get away with murder. I don't watch many movies, but does this crime resemble anything you've ever seen in one, or read in a novel?

It could just be a random burglary. My opinion is that it is not random, but targeted.

When looking at the church video, there is a point where the suspect stops, looks at the camera, and puts something in their upper pocket. The way they stood there and did that had the mannerisms of someone who is proud of wearing a uniform. It reminded me of the way a police officer would put their pen in their upper pocket. But I suppose there are many professions in which people do the same thing.

I think people sometimes do what they know by nature. This person wore a tactical style police uniform. I would guess this person wears a uniform in their day to day job activities. Unfortunately, that could describe a lot of jobs.

Whenever I think about Missy I consider, Cui Bono? Who gains from Missy's death? Victimology is key to this question. There's a lot about Missy's life that we don't know. But what we do know leans to a targeted attack. Imo.

This sums up my thoughts perfectly. I'm a long term member and have followed this case since day one. I lean towards targeted only because what we do know leads me to. Bad marriage, affairs, flirting/texting/messaging....the little we do know opens the pool of "perps" and reasons tremendously.

I do agree that the investigators have interviewed everyone, but there are so many cases where they "know" but just don't have what they need to close the case. I feel like this has happened to MB. I think several non-expected items came into play for the perp that made this a "perfect crime" so to speak. Weather (which to me is huge, covers footprints, less people out (if that can happen that early in the AM, etc), her change of plans outside/inside....

I would never say anything for certain in a case. It also wouldn't surprise me if it's random to be honest. But I do and have always leaned towards targeted because of what was happening in her life (what we do know) at the time of her death. I do have to say I'm shocked no family/friends have ever really come forward discussing her or her life. A lot of times in cases people come out from everywhere with knowledge or information...

edited to fix wording

Below are some of the articles that I have found the most interesting about this case and IMO provide motive etc.

One thing I find interesting is that Missy was still alive when the paramedics got there, much less when the students got there. One would ask, why would SP kill this person and not stick around to finish the job? Even the most academic people knows to check for a pulse. But nobody saw SP leave so it just makes me interested why SP didn't finish it. Or was MB so bad off that her fate was already assured and SP just wanted to get out of there?

I still lean targeted but it's obvious at this point whoever did it didn't message about it via text, email, etc. I think the police have suspects but without a paper trail and no DNA, short of finding the outfit or weapons or something like that, I think this will go unsolved unless the killer incriminates themselves somehow.

One thing I find interesting is that Missy was still alive when the paramedics got there, much less when the students got there. One would ask, why would SP kill this person and not stick around to finish the job? Even the most academic people knows to check for a pulse. But nobody saw SP leave so it just makes me interested why SP didn't finish it. Or was MB so bad off that her fate was already assured and SP just wanted to get out of there?
Snipped for clarity.

The killer had big gloves on. No-one could feel a pulse wearing gloves like that. I think he/she felt confident that poor Missy looked very seriously injured and felt he’d/she’d done enough so she wouldn’t be saved.

Also, killers tend not to stay at the scene of the crime unless they can control it. This was a public place and as I believe it was targeted, it makes sense that they know witnesses would be arriving soon. If it was targeted, the perp would also have known more specifically what time people generally arrived and it was soon. I don’t think the timeline’s changed since this article, apologies if I’ve missed it.

JMO

Attachments

• 60BA31CB-B501-4849-AA54-4482AD444C22.jpeg
    60BA31CB-B501-4849-AA54-4482AD444C22.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 9
One thing I find interesting is that Missy was still alive when the paramedics got there, much less when the students got there. .

She was? I don't recall anything reported that MB was still alive when the paramedics got there, or even when the campers arrived. From what I have heard all along, no one really knows when she actually breathed her last, and it could have happened when loser perp shot her or shortly thereafter.

The time when ME declared her legally dead would have waited until he arrived and could make that determination, but that's not a declaration of when she died.

She was? I don't recall anything reported that MB was still alive when the paramedics got there, or even when the campers arrived. From what I have heard all along, no one really knows when she actually breathed her last, and it could have happened when loser perp shot her or shortly thereafter.

The time when ME declared her legally dead would have waited until he arrived and could make that determination, but that's not a declaration of when she died.

My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member