TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bevers is believed to have been in the church only moments before she ran into the person in black. Her students later found her unresponsive inside the church — she was later declared dead by a Justice of the Peace. Police said in a previous search warrant that Bevers had a head wound, but offered no other details about her death.

It's been a while since I posted here, and I don't have any new thoughts apart from the fact that I heard - while reading about completely different cases, that LE tends to claim that crime looks targeted not cause it really does and not cause they really believe it. Just simply to not disturb community.
Cause random attack tends to be understood as "it could happen to me! I'm in danger, my family may be in danger!", while hearing about targeted attack makes people distance themselves to lower the risk even further.
So "targeted", but not targeted at "person in church", "woman", "housewife", "blonde", "fitness instructor" (cause that makes a big pool of other potential victims) but at Missy herself, and only her, so nobody else needs to worry.

I think LE focussed initially on the possibility of it being targetted because that's how good policework proceeds. First-degree murder is a more serious crime, it would have involved pre-planning by someone who knew Missy, they'd want to start by trying to detect any evidence of that.

I personally don't think the point of either LE or WS is to guess 'right', like scoring on a quiz. I think solving crimes is a process of elimination, and making hard and fast judgements is what leads to tunnel vision.

JMO
I agree. Unfortunately, you have blithering idiots on YouTube and elsewhere who are still trying to point the finger at the stepfather, who was in another state at the time—confirmed with absolute certainty—and its difficult to even have a meaningful discussion on the case when people whose critical thinking abilities are that poor are continually injecting themselves into the conversation.

Forunately WebSleuths has been pretty good at deleting that sort of drivel, which is why I'm here instead of on YouTube or Reddit.

I agree. Unfortunately, you have blithering idiots on YouTube and elsewhere who are still trying to point the finger at the stepfather, who was in another state at the time—confirmed with absolute certainty—and its difficult to even have a meaningful discussion on the case when people whose critical thinking abilities are that poor are continually injecting themselves into the conversation.

Forunately WebSleuths has been pretty good at deleting that sort of drivel, which is why I'm here instead of on YouTube or Reddit.
*it's
The one thing that I don't like about Websleuths is that you only have one hour to catch typos. :(

Sorry, but there is no "stepfather" in the play. ;)

Per the FBI data attached, from 2015 there were only 102 murders during over 3 million burglaries, less than 1%.
You need the statistics for interrupted burglaries where the burglar is armed. Startled burglars can be very dangerous. MOO

For a murder to occur during a burglary, a victim must show up or already be at the burglary location.
Typically, you come home from work to find your door kicked in, you go to your unoccupied office to find a window pried open, a store finds someone entered thru the roof hatch overnight, and so on to a million scenarios. So the situation usually does not present itself for the property owner to kill the burglar or for the burglar to murder the owner edit to add, or a visitor to the property.

I can entertain two theories at this time.

1. This was a targeted hit.
2. This was a LARPer playing out a fantasy who got scared when they encountered Missy.

However, I just can't see the burglary scenario. There appears to be no sense of urgency or desire to find valuable items.

I can entertain two theories at this time.

1. This was a targeted hit.
2. This was a LARPer playing out a fantasy who got scared when they encountered Missy.

However, I just can't see the burglary scenario. There appears to be no sense of urgency or desire to find valuable items.
Before you write off the burglary scenario, consider this: If you were a burglar who thought that a every church gets a large amount of cash donations every Sunday but can't deposit them until the banks open on Monday (which might actually be true for some churches), then the time to commit a burglary would be late Sunday night or early Monday morning, and that's when this crime occurred.

I would even include a 4th theory: someone who had a personal grudge against the church and wanted to vandalize it.

To me, a burglary makes the most sense, followed closely by the LARPer scenario.

From my perspective, the burglar looks like he could be intoxicated or on something, and that could account for the lack of urgency, but I'm not sure it even needs anything special to account for it.

Here in Michigan, a big chunk of our state has more summer cottages than year-round homes, and it's common for those cottages to be broken into off-season by people who spend a lot of time messing around (sometimes even cooking food, etc.) because they know that they have all the time in the world. A burglar's sense of urgency seems to depend on the circumstances.

The hypothesis of burglary ending in homicide seems to me far too romantic to be credible . There are a lot of assumptions that have to be made in order to achieve that, and that’s why I don’t agree with that scenario. Of course that’s a personal opinion.

The hypothesis of burglary ending in homicide seems to me far too romantic to be credible . There are a lot of assumptions that have to be made in order to achieve that, and that’s why I don’t agree with that scenario. Of course that’s a personal opinion.
What is romantic about it? Please explain.

It's a fairly common occurrence for a property crime of one kind or another (burglary, armed robbery, mugging, carjacking) to end in murder.

We know from the video feed that the intruder wasn't watching and waiting to ambush Missy. Rather, it appears that she heard a noise an approached the intruder instead of fleeing.

From my perspective, the security footage rules out a premeditated murder.

This sums up my thoughts perfectly. I'm a long term member and have followed this case since day one. I lean towards targeted only because what we do know leads me to. Bad marriage, affairs, flirting/texting/messaging....the little we do know opens the pool of "perps" and reasons tremendously.

I do agree that the investigators have interviewed everyone, but there are so many cases where they "know" but just don't have what they need to close the case. I feel like this has happened to MB. I think several non-expected items came into play for the perp that made this a "perfect crime" so to speak. Weather (which to me is huge, covers footprints, less people out (if that can happen that early in the AM, etc), her change of plans outside/inside....

I would never say anything for certain in a case. It also wouldn't surprise me if it's random to be honest. But I do and have always leaned towards targeted because of what was happening in her life (what we do know) at the time of her death. I do have to say I'm shocked no family/friends have ever really come forward discussing her or her life. A lot of times in cases people come out from everywhere with knowledge or information...

edited to fix wording

This is where I'm at as well. I'm 80 percent targeted, 20 percent random, and recognize the validity of the arguments for random. The main reason I don't come in here and argue more strongly for targeted anymore is that there has been no new evidence in a really long time to support either POV, and to really explore the targeted scenario requires me to go against WS TOS since my POI has not been named as one by LE and is considered a victim.

In the end, it matters not one iota to me whether my opinion on the nature of this crime was right or wrong, I just want it to be solved! Praying for justice for Missy regardless of who is responsible!

Last edited:
I find the "targeted" theories to be romantic and have far more assumptions that a simple burglar prowling the church gets startled and shoots the victim.
"Targeted" requires a motive, jealousy, revenge/retaliation/hate, monetary gain, some type of relationship, planning, stalking, acquiring the outfit, and possibly phone calls, and payment. Many things that are discoverable with search warrants.
Since all of these possibilities have been investigated, and the killer was not even watching for her arrival, I believe the victim was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. MOO

It's a fairly common occurrence for a property crime of one kind or another (burglary, armed robbery, mugging, carjacking) to end in murder.

We know from the video feed that the intruder wasn't watching and waiting to ambush Missy. Rather, it appears that she heard a noise an approached the intruder instead of fleeing.

"Romantic" was the term chosen by the automatic translator, not necessarily a good choice, lol. My apologies.
I meant weird , which is out of the ordinary , which requires too much improbability .
If MB had been killed in her family house, I could easily have imagined a burglary that would have ended in a homicide: it is unfortunately banal . The same for another type of theft that goes wrong like a car jacking etc etc
But a burglar disguised as some kind of policeman who came to this church early in the morning to supposedly steal the proceeds of the faithful’s donations, and who would end up killing this woman because she prevented him from fleeing, I just can’t buy into that scenario.
It is too incredible , far-fetched . Whereas premeditated murders are unfortunately widespread .
Of course this is only my point of view and I may be mistaken. Faced with new elements I will undoubtedly change my opinion.

"Romantic" was the term chosen by the automatic translator, not necessarily a good choice, lol. My apologies.
I meant weird , which is out of the ordinary , which requires too much improbability .
If MB had been killed in her family house, I could easily have imagined a burglary that would have ended in a homicide: it is unfortunately banal . The same for another type of theft that goes wrong like a car jacking etc etc
But a burglar disguised as some kind of policeman who came to this church early in the morning to supposedly steal the proceeds of the faithful’s donations, and who would end up killing this woman because she prevented him from fleeing, I just can’t buy into that scenario.
It is too incredible , far-fetched . Whereas premeditated murders are unfortunately widespread .
Of course this is only my point of view and I may be mistaken. Faced with new elements I will undoubtedly change my opinion.

IIRC, person in swat gear seen on video looked directly into the camera. Not sure if anyone recalls the Dale Kerstetter (fascinating case) case from Unsolved Mysteries; however, he (DK) too looked directly into the camera. Thought it interesting factor; even though these cases have no relevance to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper