Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have a solid theory. In fact, this is pretty close to what I used to think until Skip’s podcast came out. I agree with Christian. I no longer think Lewis is the one who actually took Thomas’ life. I do believe that he has full knowledge of what transpired that night, and he had better tell the truth, if he isn’t already (I guess we would know if he were ... sigh).

I am not unequivocally convinced that it was NL that harmed Thomas, but I do strongly believe he knows what transpired that night. It’s his very odd behavior that puts the spotlight on him.

There’s a book by Malcolm Gladwell titled “Blink” amd it’s about how our gut intuition is usually right.

I don’t know for sure if NL harmed Thomas that night but it’s the gut reactions that scream out at me.

When people first learn the details of the case they all cry out - “that sheriff is shady!! He knows something!”

I still go with my gut on this one and agree with that consensus.

There is no alibi for where NL was that night though it is known he was out of the house. He was seen in town that night.

When Tom went missing, on Thanksgiving morning, his first communication with Penny on the disappearance of her son was,”Well these things happen when you let your son hang around druggies” referring to Michael Castletine because he was known to smoke weed on occasion.

Then NL soon changed his story and told the Brown family that Tom left town with a gay lover he met online.

When asked, NL claimed he did not process the Durango because it was too dirty and kids “go missing all the time.” Even though there was a shell casing in the car.

When the backpack was located, he didn’t tell the family for over a week. When Penny found out and asked about it, NL told her that Thomas was somewhere sitting under a tree eating little Debbie snack cakes. (From the many snack wrappers left in his backpack)

At the 8 month anniversary of Thomas’s disappearance, he publicly claimed he was working with Chidress county who had a missing person named Grant Brown who disappeared at around the same time as Thomas. Grant Brown was found months prior, so if he was indeed collaborating he would have known that.

On a radio show, NL claimed that Thomas’s case was a criminal investigation but has retracted that without any supporting evidence to show it is suicide.

NL’s entire official write up on the disappearance of Thomas is two pages long and the current sheriff Brett Clapp made reference to this really unprofessional and dismissive report.

Over the entire course of the investigation NL provided zero leads or support but he did offer up a lot of lies and obstacles.

At the time, NL lived within easy walking distance of where the Durango was parked.

NL worked with Gregory Pyne prior to Hemphill County. Gregory Pyne and NL were both dismissed from HCSO for incidences in which they were found to be unreliable and spreading untruths.( for those of you new to this case- Gregory Pyne happened by chance upon Thomas’s remains while searching for deer antlers and scat. This point makes everyone cringe. )

NL has a notoriously bad reputation from the time he was young. As an adult, his is known by many as a bully.

NL, in fact, bullied Tom before he was even a sheriff at Hemphill. He took Thomas into his car even though he was outside his jurisdiction and Thomas was a minor at the time. This is against police protocol and detaining a minor in such a way is illegal. But the picture we get is that NL can do what he wants. He felt entirely justified.

He grossly mishandled the physical evidence and provided zero support to the Brown family.

So IMHO this is how the story plays out in my head -

A bully sheriff who had a history of harassing teens and taking minors into vehicles, has a young man in his town go missing two months after he becomes sheriff. It’s the same young man he bullied a year and a half prior and he was publicly reprimanded for that. There is little physical evidence to support what happened to Thomas because he didn’t do his job and mishandled all the evidence. To top it off, at every opportunity, he scoffs at this disappearance, gives flippant and irresponsible answers while continually demonizing or mocking the victim, playing up weird unsupported scenarios. Then his side kick deputy finds the remains and he and his deputy eventually get dismissed.

My gut tells me NL knows everything.

You have highlighted a number of the many unusual actions/inactions, circumstances, and factors in this case that simply cannot be ignored. In my opinion, it is many ongoing questionable actions and irrational theories that stand out like a flashing neon sign. Tom's mother clearly discerned that from the very beginning ...... which is what led her to seek help from a PI within only a week of Tom's disappearance.

There’s a book by Malcolm Gladwell titled “Blink” amd it’s about how our gut intuition is usually right.

I don’t know for sure if NL harmed Thomas that night but it’s the gut reactions that scream out at me.

When people first learn the details of the case they all cry out - “that sheriff is shady!! He knows something!”

I still go with my gut on this one and agree with that consensus.

There is no alibi for where NL was that night though it is known he was out of the house. He was seen in town that night.

When Tom went missing, on Thanksgiving morning, his first communication with Penny on the disappearance of her son was,”Well these things happen when you let your son hang around druggies” referring to Michael Castletine because he was known to smoke weed on occasion.

Then NL soon changed his story and told the Brown family that Tom left town with a gay lover he met online.

When asked, NL claimed he did not process the Durango because it was too dirty and kids “go missing all the time.” Even though there was a shell casing in the car.

When the backpack was located, he didn’t tell the family for over a week. When Penny found out and asked about it, NL told her that Thomas was somewhere sitting under a tree eating little Debbie snack cakes. (From the many snack wrappers left in his backpack)

At the 8 month anniversary of Thomas’s disappearance, he publicly claimed he was working with Chidress county who had a missing person named Grant Brown who disappeared at around the same time as Thomas. Grant Brown was found months prior, so if he was indeed collaborating he would have known that.

On a radio show, NL claimed that Thomas’s case was a criminal investigation but has retracted that without any supporting evidence to show it is suicide.

NL’s entire official write up on the disappearance of Thomas is two pages long and the current sheriff Brett Clapp made reference to this really unprofessional and dismissive report.

Over the entire course of the investigation NL provided zero leads or support but he did offer up a lot of lies and obstacles.

At the time, NL lived within easy walking distance of where the Durango was parked.

NL worked with Gregory Pyne prior to Hemphill County. Gregory Pyne and NL were both dismissed from HCSO for incidences in which they were found to be unreliable and spreading untruths.( for those of you new to this case- Gregory Pyne happened by chance upon Thomas’s remains while searching for deer antlers and scat. This point makes everyone cringe. )

NL has a notoriously bad reputation from the time he was young. As an adult, his is known by many as a bully.

NL, in fact, bullied Tom before he was even a sheriff at Hemphill. He took Thomas into his car even though he was outside his jurisdiction and Thomas was a minor at the time. This is against police protocol and detaining a minor in such a way is illegal. But the picture we get is that NL can do what he wants. He felt entirely justified.

He grossly mishandled the physical evidence and provided zero support to the Brown family.

So IMHO this is how the story plays out in my head -

A bully sheriff who had a history of harassing teens and taking minors into vehicles, has a young man in his town go missing two months after he becomes sheriff. It’s the same young man he bullied a year and a half prior and he was publicly reprimanded for that. There is little physical evidence to support what happened to Thomas because he didn’t do his job and mishandled all the evidence. To top it off, at every opportunity, he scoffs at this disappearance, gives flippant and irresponsible answers while continually demonizing or mocking the victim, playing up weird unsupported scenarios. Then his side kick deputy finds the remains and he and his deputy eventually get dismissed.

My gut tells me NL knows everything.
What happened to this forum being about fact and not opinions?

Because we don't have access to the same information as investigating agencies, all we can do is review information that is available to us and draw conclusions based upon that information. We all come into this from different walks of life and with different life experiences. Based upon that it's not surprising that we have different opinions on what may have happened to Tom. I think we all feel a desire for there to be more answers for Tom and his family...they deserve that.

If the phone was planted ... the truth about the search history is also obscure.

Tomas search history had a deleted record of visiting the suicide hotline website.

If a search history record is deleted, It can then be found in the DNS cache. But DNS is notoriously unreliable with both the websites and the time stamps of lookups.

You can ping a website, for instance, and it can get added to your DNS cache as part of your search history without ever having visited the site. And. It is known that even then, the timing could also be off.

If the phone was planted, it was for one purpose only - to show the visit to the suicide hotline and encourage more people to believe the suicide narrative.

It is possible that this search history is not genuine.

The phone is one of the pieces of the puzzle me questioning comments of the mom. In a interview she is asked about the phone case on Tom’s phone. She was asked if Tom ever removed it and she said no, it was very uncommon for Tom to remove the case. Then later in the recorded meeting DA stated the phone had been planted and then asked the mom if she had the case, which she said “yes, I have always had it.” That was a big surprise for all because she had kept that information to herself so IMO it made me question whether she had the phone from the beginning. Later her and Klein tried to explain that away which directly contradicted earlier statement. I don’t know what happened to Tom and I am not accusing anyone. Just seems to me lots of unanswered questions all around.

The phone is one of the pieces of the puzzle me questioning comments of the mom. In a interview she is asked about the phone case on Tom’s phone. She was asked if Tom ever removed it and she said no, it was very uncommon for Tom to remove the case. Then later in the recorded meeting DA stated the phone had been planted and then asked the mom if she had the case, which she said “yes, I have always had it.” That was a big surprise for all because she had kept that information to herself so IMO it made me question whether she had the phone from the beginning. Later her and Klein tried to explain that away which directly contradicted earlier statement. I don’t know what happened to Tom and I am not accusing anyone. Just seems to me lots of unanswered questions all around.

In my observation, I have seen no indication that Tom's mother "secretly" had possession of the phone charger. She would have no logical reason to do so. She and her family simply want to learn the facts regarding what happened to Tom. In fact, the AG investigator already knew where the charger was; during discussion she asked the question for clarification, not accusation. Tom's mother answered truthfully, "Yes, I've always had it".

We don't know why Tom would remove the case charger. They are rather bulky. Some brands are notorious for battery failure. Maybe it simply needed to be recharged. Whatever the case, it is very possible that the removal of the phone from the case charger has no bearing on the case.

This is an example of why the AG investigators were adamant about there being no press present; there is a chance that some take statements out of context and potential speculation. Then ..... their efforts to keep the discussions confidential within the meeting went awry when some person secretly recorded the meeting then apparently distributed the audio to selected media outlets.

Last edited:
What the author says about Franklin McDonough‘s behavior. Couldn’t agree more:

“Anyway, D.A. McDonough takes it upon himself to give a good old-fashioned dressing-down to the moms in the meeting in the most patriarchal, paternalistic tone I have heard in quite some time. He belittles one mom in particular, and you can literally hear her crumble. Her voice goes timid. He lecturesher. He lectures a grown-*advertiser censored* woman. He has the audacity to say they should move on ‘out of respect for TOM.’ Sir. Excuse me, sir. Respecting Tom would be finding out what happened to him. Respecting Tom would be respecting his mother. Respecting Tom would mean processing the car when you find out he is missing. Respecting Tom would mean forming a positive working relationship with the chosen private investigator his mother hired. Respecting Tom would be not using his name to justify shutting down the search for his killer. How dare you, sir?! How dare you tell a woman what is respectful regarding her own son? How dare you speak for the dead? You don’t know what Tom would want. You literally never met him.

The whole scene is infuriating. Basically, the sheriff and the DA want this woman to go away. They can’t solve the crime (or don’t want to) and want her to sit down, shut up, and go away. This whole scenario strikes me as straight out of an abuser’s playbook. The abuser puts a vulnerable person in an impossible situation, forcing them to react in the only way they can, and then the vulnerable person gets abused even more for playing the only hand they have.”

Tom Brown's Body Audio Clip by Silver • A podcast on Anchor

Spot-on.

Last edited:
I agree inmyhumbleopinion. Spot on. One of the most suspicious irregularities in this case has been the attitudes and actions (and inactions) of "local" law enforcement personnel. Their apparent bitterness and resentment toward the family of Tom Brown and their ongoing refusal to even consider that evidence and circumstances indicate any possibility of foul play is astounding, to say the least. I will point out once again that for months the LE narrative was that Tom secretly left with some phantom "older man" that he met online. A number of Tom's friends and family were actually interrogated under that theory. He was secretly living in California .... or Denver .... or wherever. Then, once remains were discovered, their theory was obviously embarrassingly wrong. So, the narrative then became that his death was by suicide. In order to "fill some logic gaps" in the suicide theory, the narrative expanded; family members covertly hid the body while going to great efforts to point toward others. Really? Based on what we know about the case, do we not see how bizarre and irrational these theories are, especially in light of the fact that the mere mention of homicide arouses emotion and anger among some?

No person is any more pro-law enforcement that myself. But in reality, there are a few (small percentage) who enter that profession for the wrong reasons (this applies to any profession). It is very disturbing that ex-Sheriff and some local LE allowed themselves to become so grossly adversarial and confrontational toward the family of a person who died under obvious suspicious circumstances. There is no excuse for such behavior in this case. A classic example of how uncontrolled egos can manage to shift focus totally away from what should be the common objective. Or maybe it goes deeper than uncontrolled egos. I don't know.

Since the time that the investigation was finally turned over to the Texas OAG, I hope that the AG investigators are truly conducting their investigation in a thorough and professionally unbiased manner. They are probably the last hope for Tom's family to learn the true facts, whatever they may be.

I agree inmyhumbleopinion. Spot on. One of the most suspicious irregularities in this case has been the attitudes and actions (and inactions) of "local" law enforcement personnel. Their apparent bitterness and resentment toward the family of Tom Brown and their ongoing refusal to even consider that evidence and circumstances indicate any possibility of foul play is astounding, to say the least. I will point out once again that for months the LE narrative was that Tom secretly left with some phantom "older man" that he met online. A number of Tom's friends and family were actually interrogated under that theory. He was secretly living in California .... or Denver .... or wherever. Then, once remains were discovered, their theory was obviously embarrassingly wrong. So, the narrative then became that his death was by suicide. In order to "fill some logic gaps" in the suicide theory, the narrative expanded; family members covertly hid the body while going to great efforts to point toward others. Really? Based on what we know about the case, do we not see how bizarre and irrational these theories are, especially in light of the fact that the mere mention of homicide arouses emotion and anger among some?

No person is any more pro-law enforcement that myself. But in reality, there are a few (small percentage) who enter that profession for the wrong reasons (this applies to any profession). It is very disturbing that ex-Sheriff and some local LE allowed themselves to become so grossly adversarial and confrontational toward the family of a person who died under obvious suspicious circumstances. There is no excuse for such behavior in this case. A classic example of how uncontrolled egos can manage to shift focus totally away from what should be the common objective. Or maybe it goes deeper than uncontrolled egos. I don't know.

Since the time that the investigation was finally turned over to the Texas OAG, I hope that the AG investigators are truly conducting their investigation in a thorough and professionally unbiased manner. They are probably the last hope for Tom's family to learn the true facts, whatever they may be.
Extremely well said, OutWest. What Penny represented, quite simply, was the right thing to do. Yet, at every juncture, local LE kept looking the other way, or even doing the opposite. I’ve followed the case since the beginning, and as you said, it has been downright bizarre.

As far as Philip Klein goes, I’m not his biggest fan, but in this particular case, I’m really not sure if the case would have gotten where it is today without his involvement, so IMO, ultimately, Penny has made the right decision in retaining him.

I have so much respect for the woman, seriously. I don’t know if I could trust anyone ever again if I were to experience something similar.

What Penny represented, quite simply, was the right thing to do. Yet, at every juncture, local LE kept looking the other way, or even doing the opposite. I’ve followed the case since the beginning, and as you said, it has been downright bizarre.

As far as Philip Klein goes, I’m not his biggest fan, but in this particular case, I’m really not sure if the case would have gotten where it is today without his involvement, so IMO, ultimately, Penny has made the right decision in retaining him.

I have so much respect for the woman, seriously. I don’t know if I could trust anyone ever again if I were to experience something similar.

inmyhumbleopinion, I agree with your points. When I try to put myself in Penny's place during the late November 2016 timeframe when NL was bouncing between run-away and suicide (depending on who he was talking to), then returned the vehicle only hours later that same day unprocessed for forensic evidence despite some blood and a spent cartridge case ..... I too would have seen red flags. I too would have searched for a PI to act as an intermediary to investigate on my behalf and keep me informed. If not for Penny Meek's tenacious efforts the case would have been long forgotten and never investigated by any agency. But HCSO folks did not expect her tenacity. I agree with you on your assessment involving Klein. IMO, much of what is known today would have been covered forever if not for Penny seeking the help of a PI, in this case Klein. Example: items recovered during the organized search along Lake Marvin Road. That search happened 11 months after Tom disappeared; it would not have ever happened if left up to the sheriff.

inmyhumbleopinion, I agree with your points. When I try to put myself in Penny's place during the late November 2016 timeframe when NL was bouncing between run-away and suicide (depending on who he was talking to), then returned the vehicle only hours later that same day unprocessed for forensic evidence despite some blood and a spent cartridge case ..... I too would have seen red flags. I too would have searched for a PI to act as an intermediary to investigate on my behalf and keep me informed. If not for Penny Meek's tenacious efforts the case would have been long forgotten and never investigated by any agency. But HCSO folks did not expect her tenacity. I agree with you on your assessment involving Klein. IMO, much of what is known today would have been covered forever if not for Penny seeking the help of a PI, in this case Klein. Example: items recovered during the organized search along Lake Marvin Road. That search happened 11 months after Tom disappeared; it would not have ever happened if left up to the sheriff.
Yep. That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

I have so much respect for Penny.........and even when the phone was found, she and Klein were suspected and accused of planting it......why would they do this?? I am so hopeful the AG will get something accomplished when the GJ meets.

One of the most suspicious irregularities in this case has been the attitudes and actions (and inactions) of "local" law enforcement personnel. Their apparent bitterness and resentment toward the family of Tom Brown and their ongoing refusal to even consider that evidence and circumstances indicate any possibility of foul play is astounding, to say the least. I will point out once again that for months the LE narrative was that Tom secretly left with some phantom "older man" that he met online. A number of Tom's friends and family were actually interrogated under that theory. He was secretly living in California .... or Denver .... or wherever. Then, once remains were discovered, their theory was obviously embarrassingly wrong. So, the narrative then became that his death was by suicide. In order to "fill some logic gaps" in the suicide theory, the narrative expanded; family members covertly hid the body while going to great efforts to point toward others. Really? Based on what we know about the case, do we not see how bizarre and irrational these theories are, especially in light of the fact that the mere mention of homicide arouses emotion and anger among some?

This is such a well-written post and I truly couldn't have said it better myself. I personally am not particularly pro-LE, but those feelings are more-so regarding street cops. I do think most detectives/sheriffs care about the majority of missing persons and homicide cases. However, this case has been mishandled to a point that I really do not think I have ever witnessed in my 10 years of researching missing persons (only in my twenties).

If there is anyone hanging around this thread that could explain the suicide angle to me, I'd be happy to hear it. However, as you said perfectly, there are LOGIC GAPS in the suicide theory. Massive ones. It doesn't make any sense.

I find myself racking my brain for what Tom or his family could have possibly done to make the sheriff's office have such disdain toward them. Regardless of whatever happened to Tom that fateful November night, his family in no way deserves the sort of treatment they've received. I can't even imagine . I'm at a loss. I've never seen such a huge disconnect in a sheriff and the truth of a case. The sheriff's department has helped little more than a schoolyard bully. I can't understand; I can't come to grips with the lack of help provided. I also am consistently shocked by the insinuations the sheriff's office has placed cruelly as a thorn crown or a scarlet letter on Tom and his family in the small town of Canadian, even after Tom was found dead and their theories are needing to be... reworked at the very least. There must be so much we do not know regarding the personal relationship dynamics at play here.

I can't imagine the previous teenager shenanigans that Nathan Lewis thought he was catching could affect this entire situation this badly, no? That wouldn't make sense. But then again, nothing about this case does.

Side note:
The Moms4Tom FB group hasn't posted since November 2020.

SBM, BBM

For those of you that are following the Suzanne Morphew case in Colorado, an arrest has been made nearly a year after she was reported missing. As per the LE press release there was no "sudden evidence break through" in the case. Instead, the arrest was based on many hours of investigative work and the resulting accumulation of evidence ..... some of which obviously hinged on a number of misleading statements and unusual actions on the part of the husband that did not match up with the known timelines and other physical evidence.

Case in point, investigators typically have a lot more undisclosed information than what is know by the general public. Any persons with culpability in the Tom Brown case should continue to have great concern and worry about what investigators actually know ..... and when the "shoe will drop".

...... I find myself racking my brain for what Tom or his family could have possibly done to make the sheriff's office have such disdain toward them. Regardless of whatever happened to Tom that fateful November night, his family in no way deserves the sort of treatment they've received. I can't even imagine . I'm at a loss. I've never seen such a huge disconnect in a sheriff and the truth of a case. The sheriff's department has helped little more than a schoolyard bully. I can't understand; I can't come to grips with the lack of help provided. I also am consistently shocked by the insinuations the sheriff's office has placed cruelly as a thorn crown or a scarlet letter on Tom and his family in the small town of Canadian, even after Tom was found dead and their theories are needing to be... reworked at the very least. There must be so much we do not know regarding the personal relationship dynamics at play here.

I can't imagine the previous teenager shenanigans that Nathan Lewis thought he was catching could affect this entire situation this badly, no? That wouldn't make sense. But then again, nothing about this case does.

Side note:
The Moms4Tom FB group hasn't posted since November 2020.

SBM, BBM

I agree @kelsie. It is very strange to see LE cultivate an adversarial, confrontational, and personally demeaning relationship with the victims of a crime that they are sworn to serve and protect. Actually, it could be considered by some to be rather suspicious in nature.

As you say, nothing about this case makes sense. (but there are answers out there somewhere .....)

Regarding your side note ..... I too have noticed the same. Probably just letting things quiet down in view of the pending GJ.

Having lived in several small towns in the area of Canadian, I would like to talk about the culture of raising kids in these small towns. The kids are considered everyone's responsibility and are loved and supported and disciplined by parents, school teachers, churches, neighbors and yes even law enforcement. Considering that Tom was raised in Canadian, he was very well known and I am sure the community was aware of his accomplishments and yes of even some of his struggles but he was of the family of Canadian, Texas and believe me that means a lot. I say all of that to say this, it is incomprehensible that LE handled the fact that Tom was missing in such a reckless and
uncaring manner. I dare say that LE I am familiar with in this area would not have slept until they had turned over every stone that day and every day thereafter until they got some answers about Tom. After all, he was family. It would not matter if it was Thanksgiving. One of their own was missing. I know that I have been so troubled by the actions of LE in this case that I have missed sleep. Heaven help anyone that is not coming forward with the truth about Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody