Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could Like this a dozen times! I too agree NL is hiding much, and suicide runs contrary to all the evidence.

I wish I had more faith that something substantial would come from the grand jury but I think we've seen often enough a GJ only being presented with the evidence the prosecutor wants the end result to be, and in this case, just to finally close the case without further action. I'd love to be wrong, his family deserves answers and an actual investigation, I hope the GJ will provide that, but I have doubts.

geevee, you make a very good point. I hope the grand jury is convened in a district other than the Texas Panhandle; I believe there is too much public case knowledge, emotion, and case related political issues to be held in that area. For the fair benefit of all parties, the case needs to be moved to a district far from the panhandle. At one point in time Travis County was the planned location; as I understand, around October 2020 the case was referred back to the "local" 31st District. I have not heard anything different.

However, the subject GJ is reported to be only a "fact finding" proceeding. I'm not sure how those sessions are conducted, etc.

I guess I'm an outlier here as I do believe suicide is a possibility. The only thing I feel certain of is that his family is not involved in any way. Everything else is still on the table for me. I do hope that a grand jury can shed some more light and hopefully some level of closure for his family and also for the whole town.

I guess I'm an outlier here as I do believe suicide is a possibility. The only thing I feel certain of is that his family is not involved in any way. Everything else is still on the table for me. I do hope that a grand jury can shed some more light and hopefully some level of closure for his family and also for the whole town.

jinc...would you share what makes you believe he committed suicide? I have truly tried to understand that idea, but just cannot wrap my mind around how it could happen. No weapon was found, his vehicle was miles away and his phone was found I think more than a year later in pristine condition. I understand there was a search for suicide from his phone earlier in the night, but that could have been performed by anyone he was with that evening.
TYIA for your ideas on this subject..:)

geevee, you make a very good point. I hope the grand jury is convened in a district other than the Texas Panhandle; I believe there is too much public case knowledge, emotion, and case related political issues to be held in that area. For the fair benefit of all parties, the case needs to be moved to a district far from the panhandle. At one point in time Travis County was the planned location; as I understand, around October 2020 the case was referred back to the "local" 31st District. I have not heard anything different.

However, the subject GJ is reported to be only a "fact finding" proceeding. I'm not sure how those sessions are conducted, etc.

"Fact finding" would be fine with me OutWest, as long as the intent is finding answers, and not trying to shovel everything under a rug for good. And I agree on the district, it needs to be held far away from the panhandle, where no one has a vested interest.

jinc...would you share what makes you believe he committed suicide? I have truly tried to understand that idea, but just cannot wrap my mind around how it could happen. No weapon was found, his vehicle was miles away and his phone was found I think more than a year later in pristine condition. I understand there was a search for suicide from his phone earlier in the night, but that could have been performed by anyone he was with that evening.
TYIA for your ideas on this subject..:)

I can't concoct any theory in this case that will explain all the publicly known pieces of the puzzle, that is probably why this forum is still active despite all the time that has passed.

I will say there are many ways to take your life without use of a weapon, if this is what happened, I would assume it was not done with a firearm. Also the lack of markings on the skull lead me to believe he wasn't shot, whether by someone else or himself (I realize that there is a possibility of death by gun and for there to be no evidence on skeletal remains - see this reference which states in ~90% of cases there is evidence Frequency of Bone Lesions: An Inadequate Criterion for Gunshot Wound Diagnosis in Skeletal Remains). In any event, I can't say that I feel 100% this was a suicide, I just feel it can't be ruled out with what information has been made public.

With regards to this being an intentional or accidental act and then some sort of cover-up - I find it difficult to accept that in a small town and with all the outside pressure, that something more concrete or solid hasn't come up by now. But I still can't rule this option out either.

Anyhow - I wish I had some clever solution that could stitch together a total narrative of what happened, but I can't. As I said, the only thing I feel comfortable ruling out is that his mom or brother have any idea/were involved with what happened and aren't sharing it.

I hope for answers for his family and the whole town.

What impressed upon me is how LE, in the case of Thomas Brown, don’t err on the side of caution.

What I mean by that is that there are two scenarios to what happened to Thomas. Foul play or suicide.

LE leans on the suicide narrative. They have slowed down the investigation, treated this case as a likely suicide and not given support or answers to the family or helped the town of Canadian heal.

Why didn’t Hemphill Co SO, the Texas Rangers, the AG, the LE involved, err on the side of safety for the community and consider this a homicide ? Wouldn’t it be important to investigate with more diligence just in case there actually is a killer among them ? Don’t they want to protect the community ? And, in due course, if they find evidence to support suicide, then so be it. To do it the other way around seems harmful to the community.

Why so blatantly disregard foul play ? IMO, in this instance - when the evidence leans more in favor of a homicide scenario, the fact that LE doesn’t support the family or the narrative that better fits the details of this case, something is amiss.

Where in this chain of LE officials is there someone rising to fight for justice for Tom?

So many things just do not feel right.

Baloon light, I agree; as I have posted previously, aside from the magically appearing pristine phone, the most alarming issue in this case is that during the first two years of the investigation local LE and their close associates mysteriously refused to even consider that foul play may be involved …. despite numerous indications, evidence, and circumstances that clearly pointed toward foul play being a strong possibility.

I have to believe that the AG investigators are not easily duped and have been on the correct scent trail for most of the past two years.

Early on....when Tom first went missing I could POSSIBLY consider suicide, EXCEPT that his body was not found close to the car!

When evidence and the body were found so far from the car, it just seemed to scream foul play to me.........

But then I don't understand anyone not helping a family when someone so young has gone missing. Just doesn't make sense to me!

Suicide doesn't make sense. Why would he hide out for hours while friends & family searched for him? Why would he park his car @ 5:30am, take his back-pack full of books, a lap top & whatever else, then hike close to 12 miles under dressed before ditching the backpack & killing himself. And how did he kill himself? No gun found, razors or knives. I can't see a kid that barely drinks beer overdosing on drugs. Facts just don't invite suicide for me.

Suicide doesn't make sense. Why would he hide out for hours while friends & family searched for him? Why would he park his car @ 5:30am, take his back-pack full of books, a lap top & whatever else, then hike close to 12 miles under dressed before ditching the backpack & killing himself. And how did he kill himself? No gun found, razors or knives. I can't see a kid that barely drinks beer overdosing on drugs. Facts just don't invite suicide for me.

Absolutely, and not to mention .... why would Tom abandon a perfectly good vehicle in order to take the 12 mile hike in the opposite direction of town, in the dark, and with light clothing in 37 degree temperatures? IMO, the suicide theory makes no sense at all. At all.

One must wonder why any investigator would adamantly press the suicide theory while consciously ignoring the obvious. There is a reason .... we just do not know for sure what that reason is at this point.

@OutWest @Botte NL on that fateful morning informed his stepfather about his ''suicide''! Which indeed was a weird conclusion. But after hearing how the "'possible" crime scene was handled all the theories NL has posted forward since are to be taken with a grain of salt.

I mean short of a month later Thomas' mother heard the complete opposite from NL (the sheriff) namely that he (Thomas) had taken off with an older man.

@OutWest @Botte NL on that fateful morning informed his stepfather about his ''suicide''! Which indeed was a weird conclusion. But after hearing how the "'possible" crime scene was handled all the theories NL has posted forward since are to be taken with a grain of salt.

I mean short of a month later Thomas' mother heard the complete opposite from NL (the sheriff) namely that he (Thomas) had taken off with an older man.

Very true. If, during the aforementioned meeting with Tom's mother, HCSO and their associate investigators had really believed that Tom had internet contact with some mysterious "older man", they would have indicated that they had evidence as such. In fact, if he had actually existed, they would have already thoroughly investigated the "older man". I have a very close relative who used to manage a cable TV/internet facility. It was not uncommon for him to receive court orders through provisions in the Patriot Act to provide information to law enforcement regarding persons who were using the internet for nefarious activities, especially child solicitation. IMO, HCSO had no such information; false narrative. Once again, you have to ask "why"?

I am apparently in the minority here, but i think suicide is the very obvious answer, but has unfortunately been blurred by incompetence, small town politics/religion and opportunistic hangers on.

The pristine phone is the only evidence that points to any kind of weirdness. Everything else can to me be easily explained away. I will admit I am not buried in casefiles/evidence and might be making some assumptions based on incorrect information, but it cant be any worse than some of the outlandish theories ive read on this forum.

number one, keep it simple. Is it more likely that there is a huge coverup/conspiracy or that a few weird things coincided with certain types of people and behaviors in small town texas to make the events seem more nefarious than they actually are?

number two, i dont trust the opportunistic self aggrandizing Klein, so i'm negating anything that comes from him basically flat out. This includes luminol, and all other wild theories. If texas rangers/fbi whoever else didnt find that stuff, i'm not taking his word for it.

so what does that leave me. A kid about to graduate highschool and possibly go off to college which is a big moment; a stressful time... a kid who by several accounts hid his true self, "wore a mask" ...who told several girls about a very embarrassing sexual kink; who might feel like any opportunity for a normal life and relationship was out of reach. Who might feel his religion/parents were not available to him to open up about it. Im not even including possible homosexuality here but that could be another factor in a town like this. He quits foot ball. Dumps his GF. A kid who on the night he dies GOOGLES SUICIDE HOTLINES. His own mothers first gut reaction when questioned is suicide. Multiple family members have killed themselves previously. The night of he requests his friend play a couple of songs whose lyrics could be viewed as subtle good byes/suicide notes. He seems sad to her. Once alone that night he drives around for hours. then to a remote location to do the deed. But maybe he cant do it. Hes scared. Hes not a gun guy, maybe he pulls the trigger once just to see what its like, leaving the shell casing. Maybe he tried and missed because hes so nervous. he gets out and starts walking, trying to build up the courage. Its not an easy task and hes wrestling with his morality. Its cold, and hes slightly under dressed, but no more so than he was earlier that evening while he was out with friends. He walks for hours. The avett brothers playing in his head. Finally he's exhausted. he sits down by some trees and ends it.

After that its a combination of incompetent police not equipped to handle this situation. A distraught mother in shock and denial, not remembering things correctly or behaving in ways that people cant identify with, a sleazy PI with dollar signs and headlines in his eyes. Again, there are some hinky things here and there along the way but real life is weird, sometimes strange things happen that dont fit your narrative of what "should" happen. I once left my phone on top of my car and drove an hour on the highway. It was still there when i arrived. If my murder investigation hinged on that fact no one would believe it. Maybe that lawnmower drove right over Tom's phone and missed it by a millimeter. who can say? But that doesnt mean everything is a giant conspiracy. People misremember and misrepresent. Again, not a coverup. I dont know, something in this area feels a lot more real to me than 90% of what i read on here. People like the movie narratives but they are too complicated and convoluted. keep it simple.

Last edited:
I am apparently in the minority here, but i think suicide is the very obvious answer, but has unfortunately been blurred by incompetence, small town politics/religion and opportunistic hangers on.

The pristine phone is the only evidence that points to any kind of weirdness. Everything else can to me be easily explained away. I will admit I am not buried in casefiles/evidence and might be making some assumptions based on incorrect information, but it cant be any worse than some of the outlandish theories ive read on this forum.

number one, keep it simple. Is it more likely that there is a huge coverup/conspiracy or that a few weird things coincided with certain types of people and behaviors in small town texas to make the events seem more nefarious than they actually are?

number two, i dont trust the opportunistic self aggrandizing Klein, so i'm negating anything that comes from him basically flat out. This includes luminol, and all other wild theories. If texas rangers/fbi whoever else didnt find that stuff, i'm not taking his word for it.

so what does that leave me. A kid about to graduate highschool and possibly go off to college which is a big moment; a stressful time... a kid who by several accounts hid his true self, "wore a mask" ...who told several girls about a very embarrassing sexual kink; who might feel like any opportunity for a normal life and relationship was out of reach. Who might feel his religion/parents were not available to him to open up about it. Im not even including possible homosexuality here but that could be another factor in a town like this. He quits foot ball. Dumps his GF. A kid who on the night he dies GOOGLES SUICIDE HOTLINES. His own mothers first gut reaction when questioned is suicide. Multiple family members have killed themselves previously. The night of he requests his friend play a couple of songs whose lyrics could be viewed as subtle good byes/suicide notes. He seems sad to her. Once alone that night he drives around for hours. then to a remote location to do the deed. But maybe he cant do it. Hes scared. Hes not a gun guy, maybe he pulls the trigger once just to see what its like, leaving the shell casing. Maybe he tried and missed because hes so nervous. he gets out and starts walking, trying to build up the courage. Its not an easy task and hes wrestling with his morality. Its cold, and hes slightly under dressed, but no more so than he was earlier that evening while he was out with friends. He walks for hours. The avett brothers playing in his head. Finally he's exhausted. he sits down by some trees and ends it.

After that its a combination of incompetent police not equipped to handle this situation. A distraught mother in shock and denial, not remembering things correctly or behaving in ways that people cant identify with, a sleazy PI with dollar signs and headlines in his eyes. Again, there are some hinky things here and there along the way but real life is weird, sometimes strange things happen that dont fit your narrative of what "should" happen. I once left my phone on top of my car and drove an hour on the highway. It was still there when i arrived. If my murder investigation hinged on that fact no one would believe it. Maybe that lawnmower drove right over Tom's phone and missed it by a millimeter. who can say? But that doesnt mean everything is a giant conspiracy. People misremember and misrepresent. Again, not a coverup. I dont know, something in this area feels a lot more real to me than 90% of what i read on here. People like the movie narratives but they are too complicated and convoluted. keep it simple.

What do you think he killed himself with? No weapon was found with his remains, as far as we know.

I agree with you about Klein, but not suicide.

I’ve spent the last few nights reading about this case from the start. There’s so many bizarre circumstances, these threads read like a crazy mystery novel!
I thought when I got to the end I would have a solid theory but I just don’t!
Pyne stands out to me though. I feel like he is someone who knows a lot and has had bouts of guilt, like he wants the truth to come out but not from his words! Him stumbling upon the skull is just so strange! The phone showing up when LE knew about the search. It made me feel like he was trying to keep the case moving away from suicide.
Lewis is definitely shady. I know he showed up at 7am on that day, but I have not read anywhere that anyone has stated where he was beforehand. Would the wife of a sheriff even notice if they got up and left the house in the middle of the night!
Why are Toms remains still being held if it’s suicide? Why weren’t more remains found! Wouldn’t there be more searching to find more than a skull and a leg bone? Could animals spread bones that far? What animals are out there?
The search of the suicide hotline happened when he was with his friends. Who knows the reason for that! It seems like something you would do alone, like who hangs with their friends and sits on their phone looking up a suicide hotline and thinks they wouldn’t ask questions.
I’m really hoping the truth comes out one day, for Tom and his family
Moo

I understand where you are coming from and you do a very good job in explaining the reasons for your thoughts. It is good to hear other points of view that are not radically crazy and totally illogical. This case is full of twists and very unusual circumstances. Years later, there are still a lot of unknowns; bottom line, nobody in the public sector actually knows for sure what happened to cause Tom’s death (unless, of course it would be somebody that was involved in some way).

I agree that the answers most likely lie within the simplest explanation possible …. but only as long as the answers provides logical explanations for unusual twists and circumstances. I have attempted to evaluate both the homicide and the suicide theories using Occam’s Razor as a general basis. IMO, the most confounding part of a suicide theory is the fact that the Durango was abandoned about 12 miles from where the remains were found. I recently purposely took a short walk in the woods behind my house in 34 degree weather with light clothing and no flashlight. 34 degrees is very cold under those circumstances. Even with a somewhat depressed state of mind, I cannot imagine that any person would choose to walk away from a perfectly good vehicle to take a 12 mile hike under those conditions, especially along the dense brushy Canadian River (I roamed many areas of the Canadian River and its breaks as kid and am familiar with the type of terrain). No weapon found near remains and the vehicle ~12 miles remote. So, just in my experience, I cannot make the suicide theory logically work without incorporating another party; in other words, assisted suicide which adds a very significant degree of complexity that is simply not likely at all. I just do not see there being a prior planned collusion between Tom and a “friend” whereas they would agree to meet at midnight on Thanksgiving morning to jointly carry out the plot.

The scattering of items including computer/backpack, books, gun holster/pouch, clothing, and other undisclosed items along Lake Marvin road would be the action of person(s) in a panic mode getting rid of “evidence” and IMO not typical of somebody who was depressed, despondent, and totally focused inwardly. It is a strange coincidence that the vehicle drove from the south side of town to near the Water Treatment facility location at precisely a few minutes after the initial early morning search for Tom ended. And to a location that would be very convenient for the driver to walk a short distance to a residential area before sunrise. I believe the location where the Durango was abandoned is logically very material to the case.

Then there is the pristine cell phone. As I understand, the road ROW had been mowed at least two times between 11/24/2016 and 10/14/2017. During that time period there was approximately 17 inches of precipitation in the area. The internal moisture detection (present in Apple phones since 2006) reportedly indicated that the phone had not been exposed to moisture. As per AG investigators the phone was “wiped clean” with no accumulated dirt or crud on the phone or in crevices. No fingerprints or DNA. Perfect condition. Wiped perfectly clean.

The obvious “simple” explanation is that the phone was planted shortly before the search began. It is not so simple to determine “why” the phone was planted.

So, this is where some theories of suicide get really bizarre and unbelievable (and, of course, far from simple). Theories that involve Tom’s family and indicate that the family actually disposed of Tom’s body in order to cover-up suicide because of “embarrassment”. Then conspired with their PI and staff to work an ongoing narrative that places blame toward others, including planting the phone. Really? Oh my, this family has lost a son/brother and do not deserve such brutal, thoughtless, and ridiculous innuendo. All they ever wanted is to know the facts regarding what caused Tom’s death ….. and they have some perfectly valid questions that have thus far remained wholly unanswered.

I believe there are people who know exactly what happened that morning. I believe that those people are increasingly nervous and apprehensive that the truth will eventually be known. I believe that the crazy and bizarre theories that attempt to implicate the involvement of Tom’s family attests to that panic.

With regard to Penny’s initial thoughts toward possible suicide …. 1. In a small rural close knit community like Canadian, you just do not initially think about murder being a possibility. Unlike larger gang infested cities across the nation, homicide is not common in Canadian and other small rural towns (2011 a woman was killed by an out-of-town person involved in a road rage incident whereby he intentionally rammed his vehicle into her vehicle several miles outside of town on Hwy 64; in 2001 a Deputy Sheriff was killed while serving a warrant; 21 years earlier in 1980 a known drug user from another city, while in the act of burglarizing the pharmacy, fired a shotgun through a plate glass window and killed a Deputy Sheriff who was responding to an alarm.) 2. By morning on 11/24/2016, Tom’s Durango was found to be intact, so vehicle accident and run-away are virtually eliminated as viable possibilities. 3. Because homicide is so rare in/around Canadian and with little information available at that point in time, the thought of the possibility of suicide would naturally cross a parents mind.

I can easily see where the possibility of suicide would cross any parent’s mind under those small town circumstances. Their emotion and stress levels would be pegged out while trying to process possible scenarios at a time when very little information is available. I can’t fully imagine the emotion and stress under those circumstances.

But shortly, other information started becoming available which started to raise some valid questions regarding what may have really happened that night. In my opinion as well as in the opinion of others, many of those questions and much of the evidence, coincidences, controversies and actions point in a direction other than suicide.

Regarding Tom’s apparent stress. Kids, for the most part are coddled, nurtured, protected, educated, guided, defended, and provided for by parents from the time of birth. Sometimes their biggest worries are typical teen minor social issues and status among their peers. Their “world” is actually pretty small in most cases. Then at the age of 17-18 they begin to realize much of that will soon be their own responsibility. They are faced with the thoughts of a magnitude of changes that are about to actually happen. Some handle it better than others. No doubt such concerns can lead to some more serious thoughts or actions among a few. Although there was reported to be a single iPhone search for a suicide prevention site, there were no reported follow-up calls to the site that were noted. It would not require an FBI forensic investigation of the phone to learn of phone calls; all phone calls would already be listed on the carrier’s monthly statement or on records that LE obtained from the carrier early in the case.

Even though I believe that overall evidence and circumstances point toward foul play, I admittedly don’t have an explanation for the web search of a suicide prevention site other than it may possibly provide some insight that Tom was more troubled than what would be typical of the average teen in that age group. With no other information available, that is the simple assumption that I will go with. However, it seems very unusual that a person would do such a web search at 9:11 PM while with friends and while planning to gather the following day. Tom and other friends had also made plans to see a movie over the holiday period.

There are a significant number of other things that I believe strongly indicate foul play that I won’t take the time to list here. Some of those have been discussed at length in other parts of this forum; many others have not. There are some factors that are not widely known “publicly” but I believe are known by investigators. IMO, when I look at the totality of the evidence along with very unusual actions & inactions, the many unresolved controversies, numerous “coincidences”, and a string of illogical theories that obviously avoid any mention whatsoever of the possibility of foul play …… I see the cause of Tom’s death to clearly be pointing away from suicide and more toward some level of homicide (Capital murder, murder, manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide).

In any case, it does not matter if I am correct or incorrect on all or part of my assumptions. What matters is that this case continues to be in the forefront and aggressively investigated by the OAG so that the family of Tom Brown have the best chance possible to learn the truth, whatever it may be, about what happened during the early morning hours of November 24, 2016.

I could only see suicide with an assistant, someone to remove the weapon (whatever it was), move the Durango, scatter the belongings. But who of that age group could do such a thing and not ever discuss it? Leaving the body out there alone all that time? I just don't think that's what happened - and it certainly does not explain the odd behavior from local LE.

Does anyone remember the timeline of his friends coming and going? Didn't a boy (maybe Mike?) and one of the girls ride around for awhile and then Mike left and another boy or 2 joined them. Do you remember when the first boy left and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member