TX - Three killed, 14 injured in Fort Hood shooting, 2 April 2014 *suspect committed suicide*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have been having all kinds of random thoughts this morning. Anything I say on this post is JMO.

One of the largest problems we have here in the US is a lack of understanding of mental health issues. For so many years mental issues/problems have been a taboo subject. There has been such a stigma attached that a lot of people refuse to admit to themselves that they, a family member, or friend has a psychological problem. All of the recent mass shootings have been perpetrated by individuals who were clearly in need of psychiatric help, yet none of their relatives or friends stepped forward to warn of potential violence. Why?????? There may be some people who are just born evil, but it's my opinion that a large percentage of people with mental health issues likely have a chemical imbalance of some kind in their brain. That is no more disgraceful than having an appendicitis or gall bladder attack.

True, this latest shooter had sought psychological help but apparently not soon enough. We civilians can't possibly begin to know the horrors of war. Some soldiers handle the stress & horror much better than others. I am a history buff & watch The Military Channel a lot. I have watched WWII vets being interviewed. Some are quite open & willing to talk about their experiences. Still others, even after 70 years, cry when talking about the war. Such is the emotional differences of humans.

I know soldiers must pass a physical exam before being accepted into the army, but I wonder if any psychological testing is done prior to being accepted. Does anyone know?

Psych exams are done before being accepted. Some, of course, do not get accepted. However, there really is no test to tell anyone how a person that sees many people blown up, shot down, stabbed, etc... will handle it. Unfortunately, a mind is as vast as the ocean or cosmos. We may have some understanding, but that understanding is minuscule in comparison to what really is.

PTSD and guns are a bad combination, are there any laws around restricting people who develop mental illness from keeping their weapons or licenses?

PTSD and guns are a bad combination, are there any laws around restricting people who develop mental illness from keeping their weapons or licenses?

Not that I know of.

To the majority of people, especially here in Texas, the Second Amendment to the Constitution guaranteeing the right to bear arms, is more sacred than the Bible.

Only if they are kept on a legal psych hold. After that, they cannot legally purchase a gun in VA. I say legal because they can lie about having been treated for mental illness otherwise.

Scott & White ‏@swhealthcare 4m
Our next press conference is scheduled for 10:30am (CST) re: the #FortHoodShooting

Reportedly, this guy did not see any combat during his 4 months in Iraq.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/fo...did-not-see-combat-iraq-tour-officials-n70691

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The soldier who shot three people to death at Fort Hood apparently did not see combat during a tour in Iraq three years ago but was clearly troubled, under treatment for depression and anxiety and being evaluated for post-traumatic stress disorder.

Being transferred while in treatment is the worst thing they could have done for this man. imo

Retweeted by ABC7News
Scott Thuman ‏@ABC7Scott 22m
Update on #FortHoodShooting : Army says shooter spent 4 mo's in Iraq as truck driver, no indication he had direct involvement in combat...

https://twitter.com/ABC7News

Scott & White ‏@swhealthcare 35s
9 patients, 3 in critical condition, several may go home today

Scott & White ‏@swhealthcare 3s
Injuries consist of neck, abdomen and spine injuries for current critical patients

https://twitter.com/swhealthcare

Scott & White ‏@swhealthcare 5s
8 males, 1 female

early 20's to early 40's in age.

2 of 3 critical patients will need more surgery.

Scott & White ‏@swhealthcare 52s
We don't expect any more fatalities although some are still critical

Not sure if related/
IED taped to a truck at Killeen residence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I know of.

To the majority of people, especially here in Texas, the Second Amendment to the Constitution guaranteeing the right to bear arms, is more sacred than the Bible.

I would say that these are the people that definitely are the ones who don't need to have guns. I totally disagree with that statement. I would say that persons feel very strongly that they have the right to defend themselves period. Has nothing to do with the 5th amendment and it isn't just in Texas. And when i say defend I am not just talking about defending against another person. Where I live there are snakes, wild boar, and all sorts of creatures that are harmful.

Fort Hood is a small city. Probably over 40,000 people and it is no different than any other small city. There is crime and most of it is never heard of. News picks up on this because it is news worthy. It is horrible, but what makes it more horrible than the 5 or 10 people murdered in Dallas or Chicago every night or day? Gun control is a subject that can be debated forever and I am not trying to start a debate on that subject so I will move on. jmo

He wasn't even diagnosed as having PTSD. They were only evaluating him and had made no determination.

And honestly I don't see how he had PTSD in the first place because he was only deployed overseas for four months in 2011 and he was never in a combat zone to even be wounded or see anyone else wounded or killed for that matter.

And who in the world self diagnoses themselves with having a traumatic brain injury? I never heard of such and one day of testing could determine if that allegation was true or false.

Leading me to believe he was most likely a malingerer which can be found in the military.

I truly don't think it will come out that he was mentally ill. Taking Ambien doesn't show me he had mental illness.

I think he had a anger problem and acted upon that murderous anger.

But it isn't him I worry about who may develop true PTSD.

What is going to happen because these mass shootings keep occurring on military bases is the soldiers or the navy military, and their wives, and other family members are going to start suffering from PTSD themselves. The combat zone has now landed on our soil at some of our own military bases. With one glaring exception. They aren't allowed to carry weapons in order to protect themselves yet they can take up these same weapons and use them against any other enemy combatants. It just cant be on the very bases where they should be able to protect themselves. And mass shooters know this all too well. It is a FACT that mass shooters like Lopez ,and others, always target areas they know are gun-free zones being the cowardly lowlifes they truly are.:mad: Their prey is always defenseless victims who have no way to protect themselves.

The post traumatic stress will come from the fear and anxiety of never knowing when another mass shooter will start shooting some of them. Everyone on every base know they are all walking around like sitting ducks with no way to protect themselves from the next shooter that comes along. And it will happen again, imo.

If the military establishments doesn't do something immediately to reassure all of these people that they are safe on every base in our nation... then they are going to wind up treating thousands more for PTSD who must work and live on our military bases.

They need to wakeup or this is going to continue just like it is continuing to happen because they have not put in place anything to stop these mass shooters.

I know those in the military have to be livid that they have now suffered more casualties on our own soil........leaving them helpless once again.

Scott & White ‏@swhealthcare 52s
We don't expect any more fatalities although some are still critical

I sure hope the ones that are critical don't wind up being debilitated like in the last Ft. Hood mass shooting.:(

God be with them all.

All JMO
There are no easy answers on what may have been able to be done to prevent someone like that shooter from obtaining the weapon he used.

The only point I want to make is that someone that is wanting to perform criminal acts like murder does not care about laws since they are going to break them anyway. It is very easy to forget that criminals by definition are breaking laws.

I do think it helps to have laws to make it as difficult as possible for criminals to acquire weapons. But if a criminal is determined enough then no law will stop them from obtaining a weapon if they want to use one in a crime.

This type of thing gets much more complex when trying to create any type of law to prevent mentally unstable people from legally purchasing a weapon. There is no quick and easy resolution and any type of law like that is very difficult to write. Many things have to be considered not the least of which is who determines and how is it determined when a person is deemed unfit to own a weapon. Complex stuff.

If it can help even a little bit to try to prevent the next shooting like this one, I am all for it. But we need to keep in mind that it will not be fool proof and is just a deterrant.

JudgeCarter ‏@JudgeCarter · 38m
Please join the House of Representatives in a moment of silence for #FortHood community after our first vote around 2:30 PM ET.

JudgeCarter ‏@JudgeCarter · 2h
pic.twitter.com/QvgYmUaBHD

I would say that these are the people that definitely are the ones who don't need to have guns. I totally disagree with that statement. I would say that persons feel very strongly that they have the right to defend themselves period. Has nothing to do with the 5th amendment and it isn't just in Texas. And when i say defend I am not just talking about defending against another person. Where I live there are snakes, wild boar, and all sorts of creatures that are harmful.

Fort Hood is a small city. Probably over 40,000 people and it is no different than any other small city. There is crime and most of it is never heard of. News picks up on this because it is news worthy. It is horrible, but what makes it more horrible than the 5 or 10 people murdered in Dallas or Chicago every night or day? Gun control is a subject that can be debated forever and I am not trying to start a debate on that subject so I will move on. jmo

Peace. Please don't take me wrong. I was born in Texas & have lived here all my life & a lot of that time was spent living in the country. In no way do I advocate gun control. I have been around guns literally since my first memories. It is simply a way of life.

However, I do get amused & a little irritated when some of my friends absolutely go into an acute panic when the words 'gun control' are even spoken. They rush out & buy more guns & ammunition to add to the hundreds of guns they already own. I could be wrong, but I think there is ZERO chance that there will ever be gun control in the USA. I believe I have a better chance of flapping my arms & flying to the moon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back