TX - Trial of Robert Durst in the murder of Morris Black

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'M a little confused here. I was always under the impression that the West. D.A.'s office contacted Susan Berman to question her
about Kathie Durst...as JP had "re-opened" the case. I can't imagine that JP herself spoke to SB.

So are the Durst lawyers alluding to a fact that the Westchester D.A. NEVER ACTUALLY Set up an appointment to actuallly speak
with or interview SB?

IF so, it was just a bluff for the newspapers and for JP to get more front covers?
So - SB was killed for nothing?

Am I correct here?

Can someone explain this to me? Thank you.

I believe the defense strategy is to show that she had never been contacted by anyone about talking. Therefore she'd have nothing to blackmail Bob with, and that's a big point in the prosecutions case. JMO

Is LE trying to blow this case

That's when the judge decided to call for a postponement, pushing the hearing back to next Thursday, at which time the FBI agents and others subpoenaed could face contempt of court charges.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/robert-durst-appears-court-lawyers-witnesses-show/story?id=30063724

In the documentary, it was stated that Pirro and her team had scheduled an interview with Berman shortly before she was killed, but now the motion submitted by Durst's defense team states that he "seeks to confirm" that Pirro "never requested an interview, or otherwise contacted Susan Berman, prior to Susan Berman's death."

Is LE trying to blow this case

That's when the judge decided to call for a postponement, pushing the hearing back to next Thursday, at which time the FBI agents and others subpoenaed could face contempt of court charges.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/robert-durst-appears-court-lawyers-witnesses-show/story?id=30063724

I have no idea what this is about. WHY would the witnesses FBI witnesses not appear???
Something is going on and I don't like it. Just ship him to LA!

For those who are confused about what happened today in court this Los Angeles Times article explains what happened if not exactly why it happened.

Robert Durst hearing delayed another week; witnesses are no-shows

Los Angeles Times
By MOLLY HENNESSY-FISKE
April 2 1015 / Reporting from New Orleans

Also the article includes this bit of news:

"Veteran defense attorney Donald Re, who previously defended onetime Hollywood private eye Anthony Pellicano and a German architect who was charged with a firefighter’s death for recklessly installing a fireplace in his mansion, confirmed that he’s been brought on to join Durst’s defense team.

Re said he traveled to New Orleans last week and met Durst, whom he described as “affable.”

“He was alert and in good spirits,” Re said.

“We’d like to get him back here as quickly as possible,” he said. “From our view, it’s a very defensible case.”"

I have no idea what this is about. WHY would the witnesses FBI witnesses not appear???

To me it's very telling that Dursts lawyers ARE in a hurry to get to LA. They know there's a huge chance to beat a 15 year old murder charge where they cannot even prove he was in LA, that Pirro nor the lead detective had contacted Berman prior to her death and the biggest evidence against him is based on handwriting which can be pretty easily challenged and where the DA's own experts had previously "matched" the writing to Bermans manager
That's no slam dunk imo

This portion of this book describes how Defense Attorney Donald Re set up his defense of John Delorean.

Ladies And Gentlemen Of The Jury: Greatest Closing Arguments
By Michael S. Lief, Ben Bycell, Mitchell Caldwell

Read somewhere that they may be stalling for a Grand Jury indictment to come down in New Orleans and that would keep Durst there to stand trial irregardless of the motions the defense has filed. Sorry, can’t find the link right now and not sure how accurate that info is…..

If this is the case, then I have to agree that the case in California is WEAK.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/robert-dursts-all-good-things-dvd-commentary.html

The Creepiest Things Robert Durst Says in His All Good Things DVD Commentary

Well, at least he's not disturbed enough to kill a dog. :rolleyes:

For those who are confused about what happened today in court this Los Angeles Times article explains what happened if not exactly why it happened.

Robert Durst hearing delayed another week; witnesses are no-shows

Los Angeles Times
By MOLLY HENNESSY-FISKE
April 2 1015 / Reporting from New Orleans

Also the article includes this bit of news:

"Veteran defense attorney Donald Re, who previously defended onetime Hollywood private eye Anthony Pellicano and a German architect who was charged with a firefighter’s death for recklessly installing a fireplace in his mansion, confirmed that he’s been brought on to join Durst’s defense team.

Re said he traveled to New Orleans last week and met Durst, whom he described as “affable.”

“He was alert and in good spirits,” Re said.

“We’d like to get him back here as quickly as possible,” he said. “From our view, it’s a very defensible case.”"

To me it's very telling that Dursts lawyers ARE in a hurry to get to LA. They know there's a huge chance to beat a 15 year old murder charge where they cannot even prove he was in LA, that Pirro nor the lead detective had contacted Berman prior to her death and the biggest evidence against him is based on handwriting which can be pretty easily challenged and where the DA's own experts had previously "matched" the writing to Bermans manager
That's no slam dunk imo

I think LA is asking NO to take their time with this. As TexMex pointed out this is no slam dunk case for LA and they are probably poring over the evidence to make the case stronger.

This is an interesting article about the detective Kris Bowdish in Vermont who has been investigating the 1971 disappearance of Middlebury College student Lynne Schulze.

How a Small-Town Detective Works a Big-Time Case

By Molly Walsh
Seven Days Vermont / Staff writer

"It's not every day that the Middlebury Police Department gets calls from the BBC, People magazine and the New York Times. And until last week, detective Kris Bowdish had never run a press conference, let alone one with a full-house crowd of local and national media.

The small-town police investigator, who plays ice hockey and occasionally helps her dairy-farmer father chase down stray cows, calmly faced the cameras. She addressed a bizarre question that had surfaced in a troubling case: Did millionaire murder suspect Robert Durst, the subject of a recent documentary that aired on HBO, have anything to do with the 1971 disappearance of 18-year-old Middlebury College student Lynne Schulze?

The day before the press conference, Middlebury Police Chief Tom Hanley had issued a surprising statement that revealed the department was investigating a possible link between Durst and the perplexing Schulze case."​

Much more...

I remember seeing the press conference and was very impressed with her.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/02/why-is-robert-durst-smiling/

If convicted of the gun charges, he could spend “decades in prison, effectively a life sentence,’’ The Guardian newspaper reported this week. This helps explain why his lead defense lawyer, Dick DeGuerin, and his team may be fighting to have the gun charges tossed, and Robert immediately extradited to California.

Here are the top three reasons why, I believe, Durst will skate away from trouble, like an elderly, pot-loving hockey player:

He’s craftier than he looks. Robert Durst charmed Galveston jurors when he testified, sickeningly, about killing Black in a struggle over a gun, then slicing up and disposing of his body. He could spin his magic again.

His wife is a hellion. Robert has been married since 2000 to cutthroat New York-based real estate broker Deborah Lee Charatan, 58, who lives with one of his male lawyers. She’s the “mastermind’’ behind the oddball couple, and Robert listens to her every word, a source told The Post. Although The New York Times reported that Charatan has stepped back from her relationship with Durst and speculated that she might waive spousal privilege and tell authorities what she knows of the man, I don’t see that happening.

The evidence against him could be garbage.
In the final episode that aired last month of the six-part HBO documentary “The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst,’’ Robert was heard in a bathroom seeming to mutter a confession:
“What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course.’’
To me, it sounded like the ramblings of an unhinged man. It may not be admissible in a court of law.
He’s also been connected to a note sent to Los Angeles police, alerting them to the presence of Susan Berman’s “cadaver’’ inside her house — even misspelling Beverly Hills as “Beverley Hills,’’ as Robert did in another letter he admits having written. Durst denies that he wrote the cadaver note.
This doesn’t prove that he committed murder. That is, if the murder case ever gets to trial.

Ellen Strauss, a longtime friend of Kathie Durst, said Thursday that she had tried but failed to get Pirro to see Berman and that Pirro is engaging in "historical revisionism" on the subject of Berman. Pirro issued a statement saying, "This is about establishing the guilt of Robert Durst. Any collateral issues serve only to cloud that fact."

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainme...cle_5530464c-2279-58b9-880a-e7e60dbab2fc.html

Ellen Strauss, a longtime friend of Kathie Durst, said Thursday that she had tried but failed to get Pirro to see Berman and that Pirro is engaging in "historical revisionism" on the subject of Berman. Pirro issued a statement saying, "This is about establishing the guilt of Robert Durst. Any collateral issues serve only to cloud that fact."

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainme...cle_5530464c-2279-58b9-880a-e7e60dbab2fc.html
Oh yes!!! I saw that article and that exact same paragraph stood out to me!

Re the NYPost article, I also had read that. I must say, I really don't like Andrea Peyser, and the feeling is left over from a few years ago, but for the life of me, I can't remember why I don't like her.

I think some of the writers are getting their information from this original Guardian article:

Did Robert Durst's nemesis ignore clues before following his trail to California?

Exclusive: Jeanine Pirro has been chasing the heir for years. But investigators and friends now tell the Guardian she ‘wouldn’t react’ until after Susan Berman’s death, scrambling the narrative of The Jinx – and a renewed murder mystery

The Guardian
By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles
Sunday 29 March 2015 12.13 EDT

"However, interviews by the Guardian with Pirro’s staff members and those in touch with her office at the time reveal that by November 2000 Pirro was on the verge of giving up on the Kathie Durst investigation. The attempt to build a homicide case had been running for close to a year and had yielded little not already available to investigators in 1982.

At a big meeting at the district attorney’s office on November 8, 2000, Kathie’s old friends and family members urged Pirro’s staff to question Berman, who had acted as the Durst family spokeswoman at the time of Kathie’s disappearance in 1982 and helped create an impression in the media – uncorroborated by credible evidence – that Kathie had been seen in New York City hours after her husband supposedly dropped her off at a suburban train station.

One friend of Kathie, a lawyer named Ellen Strauss, later tracked down Berman’s address in Los Angeles through an investigative computer database and faxed a map of it to Pirro’s office.
But Pirro was unmoved. She popped her head around the door at the November 8 meeting but did not otherwise attend. According to Strauss and law enforcement sources, Pirro took no subsequent action to approach Berman – not even a plan for an interview, or funding to fly someone to California. It was only after Berman’s murder, on December 23, that Pirro agreed to send an investigator to Los Angeles.

This new accounting of the seven-week period between Durst’s decision to prepare for the worst and Berman’s murder suggests that his fears may have been rooted more in paranoia than in real risk of prosecution. The crucial and now more complete timeline speaks volumes about Durst’s possible motivations and about the failures of law enforcement at the time – and is likely to loom large as prosecutors in Los Angeles seek to bring him to trial.

“I begged them to go out five weeks before Susan Berman’s murder,” Strauss said. “Pirro wouldn’t react. She was so arrogant she wouldn’t listen to me… And now she is engaging in historical revisionism to make herself look better.”"
...​

More ... its a good article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karen Simmons Guinn