Identified! TX - Williamson Co., 'Orange Socks' WhtFem 33UFTX, 15-30, off I-35, Oct'79 - Debra Jackson

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hm, that's very interesting -- and a possibility, I suppose. But I don't think she looks that strange. She has a strong resemblance to a lady who works in the grocery store here, who's from Guatemala. She has the same big strong jaw, full mouth, and flat squished-looking nose.

I am Australian and I associate abalone shell jewellery very heavily with New Zealand (they call it paua) and more strongly than I associate turquiose jewellery with regional locations in the USA. Yes, you do find it everywhere occasionally, it gets made wherever there are abalone and it frequently gets exported in tiny quantities... but it isn't the sort of thing that is always easy to find except in New Zealand.

For best effect it really needs a craftsman to make it up individually into pieces because every shell is different, so that means that exporting large amounts and starting a mass mainstream fashion for it would be really hard. Because the rest of the world isn't as familiar with it as they are with better known materials like pearls or coral it can be a hard sell for anyone who takes a box of it overseas, convincing people one at a time that the spectacular colors are from a natural material not a synthetic, and that it is worth paying craftsman prices for it set in silver.

So could she be Maori?

I am Australian and I associate abalone shell jewellery very heavily with New Zealand (they call it paua) and more strongly than I associate turquiose jewellery with regional locations in the USA. Yes, you do find it everywhere occasionally, it gets made wherever there are abalone and it frequently gets exported in tiny quantities... but it isn't the sort of thing that is always easy to find except in New Zealand.

For best effect it really needs a craftsman to make it up individually into pieces because every shell is different, so that means that exporting large amounts and starting a mass mainstream fashion for it would be really hard. Because the rest of the world isn't as familiar with it as they are with better known materials like pearls or coral it can be a hard sell for anyone who takes a box of it overseas, convincing people one at a time that the spectacular colors are from a natural material not a synthetic, and that it is worth paying craftsman prices for it set in silver.

So could she be Maori?

In the US, you can find cheap abalone shell jewelry in just about every craft store and jewelry kiosk in the country. It's very common in California; I think a lot of it is imported from southeast Asia as well.

But her features do have something of a Maori look, don't they?

In the US, you can find cheap abalone shell jewelry in just about every craft store and jewelry kiosk in the country. It's very common in California; I think a lot of it is imported from southeast Asia as well.

But her features do have something of a Maori look, don't they?

Was it like that back in 1979 in California?

I do know that where I live the availability of the shell set nicely in big chunks as opposed to random chips set in butterfly or flower shaped pendants and rings designed to be bought for children seems to have gone in fits and bursts over the past 30 years. It seems very like exporters try once and once only in our market.

Yeah, she does look Maori.

I do know that where I live the availability of the shell set nicely in big chunks as opposed to random chips set in butterfly or flower shaped pendants and rings designed to be bought for children seems to have gone in fits and bursts over the past 30 years. It seems very like exporters try once and once only in our market.

I know that the Palos Verdes Peninsula in Southern California is loaded with Abalone. In fact, there is an area there called Abalone Cove.

It's a protected species though, and anyone caught collecting it is subject to a huge fine.

My only data point as far as that goes is that when I was in high school in the early 70's, I had a necklace of abalone, turquoise, and coral set in silver, and a matching turquoise and abalone ring -- I think it was made by a Hopi or Zuni jeweler (Native American tribes). It was not an expensive piece.

I attached the photo of the UID's ring. It's quite similar in style to mine, with that braided silver mount and the double lines of the ring itself.

Attachments

• OrangeSocksRing.jpg
    OrangeSocksRing.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 99
I know that the Palos Verdes Peninsula in Southern California is loaded with Abalone. In fact, there is an area there called Abalone Cove.

It's a protected species though, and anyone caught collecting it is subject to a huge fine.

It is a pity the photo of the ring is not a good, clear picture like you would find in a high end jewellery catalogue. It is quite likely that with a largish chunk like that a person who works with the material would be able to guess how likely it is the piece came from the exact species they usually work with.

Abalone jewelry was very popular when I was growing up. 50's -60's in CA. Anyone could go diving for it back then. We grew up eating abalone sandwiches and it was relatively cheap. If I recall correctly it became a protected species sometime in the mid to late 70's. I believe that was the "white" abalone, there are different species located in many places includnig CA, or at least there used to be. :(

So much to learn here on WS! I didn't know anything about the Maori so I poked around. Found this:

In the 2000s some Māori professionals were living in New York and California, yet the most prominent Māori community in the United States is in Utah.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/maori-overseas/5

And although I agree the facial characteristics look like someone with acromegaly, her autopsy would have given other clues if she indeed had this condition. Especially noteworthy is the lack of pituitary adenoma, which accounts for at least 90% of cases of acromegaly. Very interesting observation, though.

I had a ring for years and years that was exactly like the one pictured. I bought it here in CA (I'm a native Californian) but it was made in Mexico.

It is still legal to catch abalone here in Sonoma County. There is a limit on amount and size but you can still go out and get it here with a fishing license... Here you'll find people's fences just covered with abalone shells (complete shells) hanging off of them.

So much to learn here on WS! I didn't know anything about the Maori so I poked around. Found this:

In the 2000s some Māori professionals were living in New York and California, yet the most prominent Māori community in the United States is in Utah.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/maori-overseas/5

And although I agree the facial characteristics look like someone with acromegaly, her autopsy would have given other clues if she indeed had this condition. Especially noteworthy is the lack of pituitary adenoma, which accounts for at least 90% of cases of acromegaly. Very interesting observation, though.

That could all depend on the extent of the autopsy performed too. I have not seen the autopsy report for this person, so really can't say yea or nay about that.

I looked at a bunch of pictures of Maori women online, but did not see in their faces the masculine features that this Jane Doe exhibits. A person can have Acromegaly without Gigantism. This Jane Doe was 5'8" to 5'10," not abnormally tall, but was she perhaps still growing in height? If she did have Acromegaly, her features may have changed to the extent she no longer resembled her earlier self, and that might play a role in the lack of her identification.

We have tended towards looking less at girls with softer features, but perhaps that's a mistake.

I looked at a bunch of pictures of Maori women online, but did not see in their faces the masculine features that this Jane Doe exhibits.

I agree. I was in Rotorua NZ a couple of years ago, and watched a Maori performance (which IMO, was a little cheesy and commercialized) and the Maori women didn't have such masculine features like Orange Socks. They don't look too much different from other Pacific Islander women.

Huh, I must be off base -- she doesn't look particularly masculine to me. The sketch does, but the morgue photos don't.

Carbuff, I'm wondering if you've seen ALL the photos, most esp. the close ups of her where her hair looks dark and curly. They can be found here near the bottom of the page. Link:
http://icaremissingpersonscoldcases.yuku.com/topic/723/t/Unidentified-Fema

I could agree with your statements in looking at the single photo of her with reddish, wavy hair if not for the photos in the link I mentioned.

Is the autopsy report available on NAMUS? I tried to pull up this Jane Doe and got nowhere. Must be doing something wrong. Help anyone?

Carbuff, I'm wondering if you've seen ALL the photos, most esp. the close ups of her where her hair looks dark and curly. They can be found here near the bottom of the page. Link:
http://icaremissingpersonscoldcases.yuku.com/topic/723/t/Unidentified-Fema

I could agree with your statements in looking at the single photo of her with reddish, wavy hair if not for the photos in the link I mentioned.

Is the autopsy report available on NAMUS? I tried to pull up this Jane Doe and got nowhere. Must be doing something wrong. Help anyone?

Yes, I looked at all the photos.

I do not believe these two have been compared. I have been reviewing these files for a while….the height is off and the fact that according to social security records Jaster worked in 1980 makes me doubt it is possible…but please take a look at Paulette Jaster http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/jaster_paulette.html– the sketches that were added to her file look similar to Orange Socks. Please see side by side-WARNING-Includes Morgue Photo

In this picture Paulette is wearing a ring that looks very similar to the ring that Orange Socks was wearing. A200300620W_5858.jpg I can't enlarge and save but hopefully someone can.

Both have Namus files but I am not sure if Paulette's DNA is in Codis. Paulette's dental records are listed in a document under images but I am having trouble interpreting them.

Would love to hear what you think.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 170
The ring is a good catch but otherwise I don't see Orange socks as Paulette Jaster. Paulette's features appear more delicate to me and if it's reliable that she worked in two eateries in Arizona in early 1980 it obviously rules her out. Also, Paulette's stats are listed as 5 ft 4 weighing 115 and Jane Doe is somewhat bigger, 5'8 - 5'10"; 135 - 140 lbs.

When I came across Marilee Lee Buszar's missing persons file I thought of Orange Socks. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1176dfca.html

After a closer look...I did not see Marilee on the rule out list. The nose and the forehead (space between eye brows) seem pretty close to me. Marilee is a few inches shorter than Orange Socks but the weight is close. The time frame is possible-Marilee disappeared from CA in August 22, 1978. It has been suggested that she was kidnapped. Does anyone else see a resemblance?

I am unsure as to what Sample Submitted -Tests Complete means in Namus (Marilee's file). Orange Socks' file says Complete and Entered and includes other notes. I know some of you are experts in this area and I would really appreciate your help. This is one of those obstacles that makes suggesting matches difficult. Obviously, if they are both entered in Codis I don't want to pursue this as a possible.

As always...your help and opinions would be appreaciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 136
When I came across Marilee Lee Buszar's missing persons file I thought of Orange Socks. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1176dfca.html

After a closer look...I did not see Marilee on the rule out list. The nose and the forehead (space between eye brows) seem pretty close to me. Marilee is a few inches shorter than Orange Socks but the weight is close. The time frame is possible-Marilee disappeared from CA in August 22, 1978. It has been suggested that she was kidnapped. Does anyone else see a resemblance?

I am unsure as to what Sample Submitted -Tests Complete means in Namus (Marilee's file). Orange Socks' file says Complete and Entered and includes other notes. I know some of you are experts in this area and I would really appreciate your help. This is one of those obstacles that makes suggesting matches difficult. Obviously, if they are both entered in Codis I don't want to pursue this as a possible.

As always...your help and opinions would be appreaciated.
Thanks.

I would say that both are in CODIS, especially given that the two states involved (i.e., Texas and California) are very active in getting their cases into CODIS. If DNA samples are available for both the MP and UID, it is a reasonably safe assumption that they are in CODIS (or will be soon).

BTW, I do see some similarities in the facial features of MB and OS, but JMHO - I don't think they are the same person.

I would say that both are in CODIS, especially given that the two states involved (i.e., Texas and California) are very active in getting their cases into CODIS. If DNA samples are available for both the MP and UID, it is a reasonably safe assumption that they are in CODIS (or will be soon).

BTW, I do see some similarities in the facial features of MB and OS, but JMHO - I don't think they are the same person.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that Carl and for sharing your opinion...I appreciate it :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy
Back