GUILTY TX - Zoe Hastings, 18, abducted & murdered, Dallas, 11 Oct 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
we should be afraid for our daughters, sadly we live in a rape culture, I know those are words as women we don't want to hear but it true.

Look at the rapes on college campuses, look at untested rape kits nationally, look at missing and murdered indigenous women = pardon me but newsflash we have a problem.

It is heartbreaking that Zoe was abducted and murdered so violently, with them living so close to the Walgreen s they can't run a single errand without seeing damn parking lot she was taken from. They can no longer peacefully walk out of their church without looking at the creek that is so very pretty without painful memories.

And he's still out there .... I don't understand why we are not more afraid, living where women do randomly get killed for nothing they have done wrong.

The local news is blabbing about haunted hotels & another is suggesting recipes .... where's zoes killer??

Kathy

It is heartbreaking that Zoe was abducted and murdered so violently, with them living so close to the Walgreen s they can't run a single errand without seeing damn parking lot she was taken from.

Kathy, was it you up thread who was saying that you know the family? I ask because, in the quote above you say the Hastings' live close to the Walgreens - however, my little brother was good friends with Zoe in junior high/early high school, and last I knew (which hasn't been too long) the family lived over by Lake Highlands JH, i.e. not near this Walgreens at all. Have they moved?

I would have to confirm with my daughter, if and when they moved. My daughter befriended Zoe during 3rd - 8th grade at Dealey Montessori Elementary school and the last couple times they did things together during high school before they were driving themselves either Jim Hastings or my husband drove them so I am really not sure if they moved during this time.

I believe they currently live on a horseshoe shaped street that both exits of their block exit looking straight at the walgreens?

But these last couple of years they have not spent as much time together at all and had not seen each other since before the holidays in 2014, which they got together to exchange gifts and see a movie. And my daughter is sad they hadnt spent as much time together as they had in the past.

Kathy

I just cheated and looked at online tax records ... looks like they bought the house in 2012, so you are right they havent lived there too long.

Kathy

The silence makes me wonder if they are waiting for cell phone records and DNA reports.

I really thought there would be a quick arrest. Lots of businesses with video cameras...I thought and such a busy corner I thought there would be witnesses.

I am kind of surprised there has been no drawing of the man seen by two witnesses at Walgreens.

Also I am wondering, still, are LE alerting the kids at the local high school to be careful? Any alerts anywhere?

They usually do that when it's random. Stranger abduction.

I come here every day hoping for a development, I don't watch the news. I just can't shake how long this is taking, or maybe this isn't really long and I'm just feeling very uneasy. Growing up in Dallas, you know there are certain areas you never go to, certain bars or clubs you don't go to on certain nights, certain streets you shouldn't walk down alone or at night...et cetera. I have three girls one who is about to start driving herself, I try to teach them common sense and I try to teach them not to be naïve although that something you really can't teach. I didn't know Zoe but I know people who have and it seems like we really lost something good, we really lost someone that was going to make a difference in the world and it makes you wonder why? If I can personally find any philosophical reasoning, it is that I am sadly teaching my daughters not to trust the world. It's not about a street or about what time it is or what part of the city you're in or anywhere. This happened in broad daylight very close to what I consider nice neighborhoods, MY hood! This causes me to think a lot about the bubble that we live in. The safety that we feel that we shouldn't feel. I have three daighters. I'm teaching them now to always look over their shoulder. Maybe Zoe's peril will save someone. Maybe it's better to be fearful. In any case, I do think, even though maybe it's wishful thinking, that we are coming upon something. It has been too quiet and no one is instilling any fear in us, like when there was a rape or 2 over on Skillman- there were constant warnings for women to be safe. It's not like that this time. I hope that means they're on to someone. Sorry for the ramble.

With just two that saw him, my guess is no drawing will be released as if varies too much from the reality (witnesses often recall things slightly different) and could be more confusing than helpful they will wait.

Yes, hopefully dna and cell phone records will better firm up what went on and who might be involved. Fingers crossed the statement "extensive evidence found in van" is in fact true and they are looking at fibers from clothes, any dirt or debris on drivers side from his shoes?, hair found in car, blood (from him, either from her fighting and doing damage or he wounding himself while hurting her?) and cell phones data, as well as any fingerprints they might have found.

Imagine if we are anxious how her family is feeling? My prayers are with them during this horrendous time.

Kathy

Here was weather that day, which was important because it was ideal sunny day in Dallas that afternoon.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

High 95

Low 64

Was this man already in the van when Zoe got in or did he happen to meet her at Walgreens when she was returning a Red Box movie?

So two witnesses saw him at Walgreens. That is prolly how they ruled out the jogger killer. The answer to crime lies in better treatment for the mentally ill and better surveillance cameras. It doesn't help that we poorly monitor violent repeat offenders. In ten years we will look back and see our mistakes and hopefully will have learned harsh lessons. Maybe we will have trackers in our shoes. Maybe satellites will constantly observe. Whatever it is like I will still be mourning for Zoe. Our souls are truly in a constant fight of good versus evil. We must use our grief to stir our anger and change a broken system before it is too late

Jupal: it is NOT about being fearful, it is about learning risk assessment.

I grew up in a very large European capital. I lived in the very center of the city. I was walking to school about 6 blocks from the time I was 7 years old, usually my myself. My mother taught me very early that freedom comes with a price: you have to learn to take care of yourself, make yourself safe. She walked me to school herself first, for protection but also for "trainiing". It would have been easier for her not to worry and go pick me up. But I guess she beleived in "early training" accross the board.
A bit later in life I moved to the US to attend grad school at the University of Chicago, and I lived in Hyde Park, a neighborhood in the South of downtown, it looks beautiful. But in a nutshell: no safe time of the day, no hot spot for crime, you were "at risk" 24-7 just about anywhere. All my male friends got mugged at gun point at some time, many had their home burglarized, my neighbor got murdererd in front of the elevator in our building. Fortunately nothing happened to me while I was there. Perhaps my mother's training paid off. I do not remember being stressed, I used to work as late as I wanted to, usually coming home around midnight. So I was not hiding in a box either. Safety can be learned and become second nature.
If I had kids I would probably worry more about them snowboarding, driving bikes and trying all sort of things I cannot even imagine ahead of time.

I think if you teach kids to be responsible for themselves early it sort of builds a life time habit of assessing risk and what the known and unknown of each situation are.

What is the point of sugar coating everything, life IS tough, but tough is fun. Teaching girls to be "nice": I cannot think of something more idiotic.

This being said, it is impossible to look at the sky in the morning and not think that Zoe should be there to see those beautiful clouds.

Was this man already in the van when Zoe got in or did he happen to meet her at Walgreens when she was returning a Red Box movie?

You know with her home being so close to Walgreens and her schedule of being at classes at the church on Sunday I wondered if somebody would have already been in her van when she got in at home to go to Walgreens.

For those of you with young daughters there is an organization out in VA that is teaching stranger danger to young woman. The group is called Help Save The Next Girl and it is a result of Dan and Gil Harrington losing their beloved daughter Morgan.

They help schools, colleges and groups of women set up and teach young woman how to protect themselves.

Help Save The Next Girl. http://helpsavethenextgirl.com/

Doubt anyone was in van if two witnesses saw him outside the van at walgreens? One saw him getting in vehicle.

I do think that closeness might have led to some comfort level, which is not to say she is to blame for anything. Yet, after living there several years and probably frequenting those stores often being so close to them, she might have been relaxed and with so much foot traffic near there not hesitated much to happen upon someone, just this someone had evil intentions.

The day we were leaving the area following the funeral there was police activity at the store across from walgreens. There were 3-5 people sitting on ground and two police cars. It was unsettling to see that, knowing a week before what had happened so very close.

Kathy

Jupal: it is NOT about being fearful, it is about learning risk assessment.

I grew up in a very large European capital. I lived in the very center of the city. I was walking to school about 6 blocks from the time I was 7 years old, usually my myself. My mother taught me very early that freedom comes with a price: you have to learn to take care of yourself, make yourself safe. She walked me to school herself first, for protection but also for "trainiing". It would have been easier for her not to worry and go pick me up. But I guess she beleived in "early training" accross the board.
A bit later in life I moved to the US to attend grad school at the University of Chicago, and I lived in Hyde Park, a neighborhood in the South of downtown, it looks beautiful. But in a nutshell: no safe time of the day, no hot spot for crime, you were "at risk" 24-7 just about anywhere. All my male friends got mugged at gun point at some time, many had their home burglarized, my neighbor got murdererd in front of the elevator in our building. Fortunately nothing happened to me while I was there. Perhaps my mother's training paid off. I do not remember being stressed, I used to work as late as I wanted to, usually coming home around midnight. So I was not hiding in a box either. Safety can be learned and become second nature.
If I had kids I would probably worry more about them snowboarding, driving bikes and trying all sort of things I cannot even imagine ahead of time.

I think if you teach kids to be responsible for themselves early it sort of builds a life time habit of assessing risk and what the known and unknown of each situation are.

What is the point of sugar coating everything, life IS tough, but tough is fun. Teaching girls to be "nice": I cannot think of something more idiotic.

This being said, it is impossible to look at the sky in the morning and not think that Zoe should be there to see those beautiful clouds.

Wonderful post! I got the early training also. I walked to elementary school by myself. Walked or biked to my friend's house by myself. The first day I walked alone to school my father followed me in the car. And I was taught to never trust a stranger just because he was your elder.

That is terrible about your friends. I wonder if the US is just more violent than a lot of European countries. When we were stationed with the US Army in Germany, years ago, I asked one of the Army wives how safe it would be to walk/jog around, during the day, after dark. She told me the only thing I had to watch out for were the US soldiers!

One time my husband and I were walking to our car in a rather dark parking lot after attending a play. I did not see anybody else around. This guy starts walking with us asking my for money. I told him sorry, but no. My husband kept talking to him and I kept whispering to my husband to ask him to leave us alone. I did not want this guy anywhere near us or our car. I just walked ahead and the guy was still talking to my husband, the dweeb. I turned around and yelled "Back off!" It worked and he walked off. I had read an article about not being afraid to yell at a person who won't leave you alone. Act confident and do not show fear. There is a time and a place to be nice.

This morning when I went out to my car I thought of Zoe. I also thought what if right now somebody caught me off guard and I had no time to think or act.

I am very street wise but sometimes we are surprised and that's when it happens.

I tell my children all the time over and over again. Lock your car door. Close the door and hit the lock. Do not wait and do not hesitate. Lock that door. Make that your habit.

I wonder if Zoe had locked her door she might have been safe? Hindsight but something I have thought about during this search.

I have thought about that because so many times these crimes of attacking a young woman occur so quickly. Before we have a chance to remember what we have been told.

Expect the unexpected!

MOO

The silence makes me wonder if they are waiting for cell phone records and DNA reports.

I really thought there would be a quick arrest. Lots of businesses with video cameras...I thought and such a busy corner I thought there would be witnesses.

I am kind of surprised there has been no drawing of the man seen by two witnesses at Walgreens.

Also I am wondering, still, are LE alerting the kids at the local high school to be careful? Any alerts anywhere?

They usually do that when it's random. Stranger abduction.

They have already been through cell phone records. I am hoping DNA comes up with something. The officer in charge told me this one would be solved with a phone call coming in.

They have already been through cell phone records. I am hoping DNA comes up with something. The officer in charge told me this one would be solved with a phone call coming in.

I remember you said that before. What does he mean?

I kind of took it to mean the lab report???

Is it just me or is the silence (from authorities) deafening? Not a word??

Is it just me or is the silence (from authorities) deafening? Not a word??

Sometimes silence is a good thing, maybe they already know who and are waiting till they find him to reel him in. Some cases you have LE asking for some weird stuff "like a blue house with a statue with a red hat" to name one. Or asking for tips, I haven't heard them asking for that, so maybe they know. I hope and pray that's the case here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back