TX - Zuzu Verk, 22, Alpine, 12 Oct 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I cannot post this please tell me ASAP. I have a question. If "Robert" is Zuzu's boyfriend, why are they not "friends" on FB?

If I cannot post this please tell me ASAP. I have a question. If "Robert" is Zuzu's boyfriend, why are they not "friends" on FB?

Purely speculative: He "unfriended" her as soon as she went missing. I have seen this happen before in other cases. I have other things to say but keeping my mouth shut for now ... ;).

We can't talk about the boyfriend...yet. However, in the first MSM stories, he was referred to as her on-again-off-again BF.

The family's portion of the press conference was heartbreaking to watch. I expect they were allowed to call him by his first name because they are not LE and not bound by legalities. Good for them! I'm sure his attorney is keeping him on a tight leash. That's her job. So I doubt he will come forward with more information.

Some rambling thoughts...

As we all know, it's up to the state to make its case against anyone they suspect of a crime. It is not the job of a POI to help them. That's how the system works. No one is legally obligated to speak to LE. Sometimes, even if someone is innocent, it's best to remain silent. There are cases of false confession under duress.

HOWEVER, that being said, when someone refuses to or stops talking to LE there will always be a perception of guilt in the public eye (I'm looking at you Ramseys and others) whether it's warranted or not. So silence comes with a price, whether innocent or guilty. For the guilty person, the price is probably higher if they speak to police than if they remain silent and force LE to prove their case. If the case can't be proven, they remain free. It's a gamble, but viewed that way, it makes LEGAL sense for Robert to stop talking.

But don't get me started on whether it's the morally right thing to do. IT'S NOT. But if he is involved in ZuZu's disappearance, morality is clearly not his top priority.

I am hopeful that LE can make its case without his help. It may take time to process evidence, so I/we will need to be patient. But I am confident that there will be a lot going on quietly behind the scenes.
JMO

Gardener, thanks so much for transcribing the press conference. Her brother was the finale. If there was anything else of importance beyond thanks to the press for coming, and I don't think there was, it was overshadowed by his grief. For all the optimism from LE that they think she is still alive, I imagine her family knows that is unlikely.
JMO

We can't talk about the boyfriend...yet. However, in the first MSM stories, he was referred to as her on-again-off-again BF.

I got my video feed back after the presser wrapped up and caught the reporter closing and she referred to the boyfriend by first name like the family did. We might be able to talk about him by first name as soon as there are stories in print. I'm fuzzy on the rules for this if the press never divulges his full name however. Anyone know what we can and cannot discuss in this situation?

I felt so bad for Zuzu's family. Her father gave an really eloquent plea-- saying he would like to be able to thank her boyfriend if only he would talk.
And her brother breaking down in tears. Just heart wrenching to watch.

Gardener, thanks so much for transcribing the press conference. Her brother was the finale. If there was anything else of importance beyond thanks to the press for coming, and I don't think there was, it was overshadowed by his grief. For all the optimism from LE that they think she is still alive, I imagine her family knows that is unlikely.
JMO

Thanks. My jaw dropped when LE said they are acting as if she is still alive. Her brothers tears really did tell another story. They have to be hurting so much right now and prepared for the worst. I hope they find her soon and get all the evidence they need. I'm really impressed that LE said they will not be putting this on the back burner and they are not anywhere near considered ending the active search.

Where are you Zuzu?

I got my video feed back after the presser wrapped up and caught the reporter closing and she referred to the boyfriend by first name like the family did. We might be able to talk about him by first name as soon as there are stories in print. I'm fuzzy on the rules for this if the press never divulges his full name however. Anyone know what we can and cannot discuss in this situation?

I felt so bad for Zuzu's family. Her father gave an really eloquent plea-- saying he would like to be able to thank her boyfriend if only he would talk.
And her brother breaking down in tears. Just heart wrenching to watch.

I think we can refer to him as 'Robert' the reporter on the report I watched that followed the presser did. But unless he is named fully by MSM or LE that is as far as we can go. We cannot discuss or sleuth him, yet..

Thank you to the people reporting here during the presser! I really appreciate it.

My first feeling was, are they hinting that she might have been trafficked into Mexico? Is that a possibility?

Can someone give me the coordinates of where she was last seen, where she lives, and where the boyfriend lives. I will use my aerial mapping skills to see if I can come up with any good speculations on probable search spots.

For obvious reasons, don't provide exact street address, but cross roads is enough.

The family's portion of the press conference was heartbreaking to watch. I expect they were allowed to call him by his first name because they are not LE and not bound by legalities. Good for them! I'm sure his attorney is keeping him on a tight leash. That's her job. So I doubt he will come forward with more information.

Some rambling thoughts...

As we all know, it's up to the state to make its case against anyone they suspect of a crime. It is not the job of a POI to help them. That's how the system works. No one is legally obligated to speak to LE. Sometimes, even if someone is innocent, it's best to remain silent. There are cases of false confession under duress.

HOWEVER, that being said, when someone refuses to or stops talking to LE there will always be a perception of guilt in the public eye (I'm looking at you Ramseys and others) whether it's warranted or not. So silence comes with a price, whether innocent or guilty. For the guilty person, the price is probably higher if they speak to police than if they remain silent and force LE to prove their case. If the case can't be proven, they remain free. It's a gamble, but viewed that way, it makes LEGAL sense for Robert to stop talking.

But don't get me started on whether it's the morally right thing to do. IT'S NOT. But if he is involved in ZuZu's disappearance, morality is clearly not his top priority.

I am hopeful that LE can make its case without his help. It may take time to process evidence, so I/we will need to be patient. But I am confident that there will be a lot going on quietly behind the scenes.
JMO

Stop talking yes, agreed it does make legal sense, but he hasn't spoken to LE or Zuzu's family AT ALL. That was made clear by LE during the presser. He immediately lawyered up.

I can only think of 2 reasons you would do that, either he's got a history, or something that is he ashamed of that could jeopardize his career (possibly drug use) Or he did something to Zuzu

Can someone give me the coordinates of where she was last seen, where she lives, and where the boyfriend lives. I will use my aerial mapping skills to see if I can come up with any good speculations on probable search spots.

For obvious reasons, don't provide exact street address, but cross roads is enough.

See Skibaboo's map in this thread.

Thank you to the people reporting here during the presser! I really appreciate it.

My first feeling was, are they hinting that she might have been trafficked into Mexico? Is that a possibility?

There are various speculations and rumors that have been posted on the PD site; but nothing concrete to back up those speculations from what I can see.

Stop talking yes, agreed it does make legal sense, but he hasn't spoken to LE or Zuzu's family AT ALL. That was made clear by LE during the presser. He immediately lawyered up.

I can only think of 2 reasons you would do that, either he's got a history, or something that is he ashamed of that could jeopardize his career (possiblzy drug use) Or he did something to Zuzu

I would also add immigration issue, possibly.

All in all, IMO, people who have nothing to hide...don't hide. He has an attorney and can cooperate under her guidance.

Unfortunately, I think it's more likely that her body was taken to Mexico. :(

Very comprehensive coverage of the presser here: http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/I-...-cooperate-in-press-conference-397937491.html

Some quotes from that link (BBM):
According to Alpine Police Chief Russell Scown, the search for Zuzu has expanded to a total of 400 square miles including Pecos, Brewster, and Jeff Davis Counties.

The search has included several law enforcement agencies, including DPS, the Texas Rangers, multiple sheriff's offices, the U.S. Border Patrol and U.S. Customs and Border Protection who have searched for Zuzu daily.

Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson says that law enforcement is also in contact with authorities in Mexico on the chance that the investigation leads in that direction.

As around 120 law enforcement officers search for Zuzu both through the air and on ground, Chief Scown says that more than 25 investigators are working on the case of her disappearance.

The investigators have collected more than 100 statements from potential witnesses, obtained 12 search warrants, and have gathered cell phones, computers and vehicles all as evidence in the case.

An impressive summary of what they have done so far. I hope they get a big lead soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member