TX - Zuzu Verk, 22, Alpine, 12 Oct 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The original report was that Zuzu's mom called RF on Friday when she could not get a hold of Zuzu for two days. RF told her that Zuzu missed her Wed midterm and did not show up for work. We just recently found out from warrants that Zuzu's mom told RF to call the police. He did but only asked for a welfare check. Zuzu's mom called Alpine PD the same day to report her missing.

Thank you for clearing that up [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm working on updating the timeline with warrant info and latest interviews. Should have it posted in the next few hours.

Thank you for clearing that up [emoji4]

It's a minor detail (who called who first) but important, IMO. It's important to stress that RF did not do anything to call attention to Zuzu going missing until he absolutely had to--he was asked to call police by her mom and probably only did it because to not call police would be more suspicious. JMO.

One thing that these people need to realize is that we have laws on the books here in Texas that address "accomplice" situations. If you drive the get away car at the bank robbery, you're just as guilty as the guy who holds the gun at the teller, and demands the money. By holding back, the mother, sister, CE, and anyone else, is putting themselves on the same level as the person who had their hands on Zuzu (providing she was harmed by a specific individual). They need to start talking, or they're all going down together.

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise specified. *

Re getaway drivers...it's true. Just ask the two getaway drivers in bexar county jail (Texas) that are charged with capital murder as well as another one that rang the doorbell.

Hi! I decided to log in and say hi instead of lurk. You guys are increadible and reading your updates has kept me sane during a 20 day, super tough trip. I almost had a fit when there was an update grrrr. I can't believe where we are with RF and CE looking so guilty and if this is as calculated as it could be it is beyond me why CE wouldn't spill the beans?! Dude, if you helped in any way and don't talk you will be just as guilty as him in the eyes of the court. Texas is Texas. My parents offered foster care for abused and neglected teens when I was 11-19 and once girl stayed with us permanently and was and is by all means my sister, family and I'll always love her. Unfortunately she had some heavy baggage and a terrible childhood and she left home and fell in with a bad crowd. She made some terrible decisions and 2 years ago she was "there" when a murder happened. It was cold and she helped lie and messed with evidence and she is serving a life sentence w/o parole. She could have made a deal or been honest and I think I'd hug her again one day. Now I won't. Anyway CE, this friend is not worth trashing your whole life for. Your poor family too :(

Zuzu Verk Timeline (Key Events Only)

TUESDAY

11 Oct 2016-The last day Zuzu showed up for classes at Sul Ross State (CBS7, Search Warrants).

11 Oct 2016- The last day Zuzu showed up for her work at Sul Ross State Gym (CBS7, Search Warrants).

11 Oct 2016, 5 PM- Zuzu tries to call her mom but her mom missed the call (Dallas Observer).

11 Oct 2016, Evening- Zuzu and her on-again off-again boyfriend (RF) went to the movies w/a group of friends at the Rangra Theater.

11 Oct 2016, 9 PM or 10 PM- RF’s downstairs neighbor JF heard Zuzu and RF arrive home and make dinner. “You could hear him moving their stuff around, playing music, and then she (Zuzu) shows up,” said JF “They make dinner like at 9 p.m. or 10 p.m., you could smell their food, and you can hear their conversation and then laugh a little bit. Then, it got quiet like after 11 p.m." (CBS7 interview).

11 Oct 2016, 11 PM- It got quiet in RF’s apartment, then JF heard “shut the F___ up!” (CBS7 Interview)

11 Oct 2016- A neighbor of RF's at his apt complex said he heard the couple arguing/fighting the night Zuzu disappeared (WFAA, Star Telegram). The neighbor who lives directly below RF’s apt (JF) heard RF pacing back and forth (WFAA).

WEDNESDAY

12 Oct 2016, time unknown- CE said he picked RF up from 509 South 16[SUP]th[/SUP] St in Alpine and took him to RF’s residence at 405 N Harrison St (CBS7, Search Warrants).

12 Oct 2016, Middle of the night/Early Morning- RF borrowed the F-150 (WFAA, Star-Telegram). RF’s BIL (JC) says that RF stopped by his house in the middle of the night. JC told authorities his wife woke him up, asking for the keys so RF could borrow the truck (CBS7, Search Warrants).

12 Oct 2016, 1:00 AM- CE went to his friend RMJ’s home (In the 1000 Block of W Ave F Alpine). RMJ reported that CE was acting “very distraught” and pacing back and forth, and “acting nervous”. When RMJ asked if CE was ok he replied “I’m fine”, “I did not do anything, if they interview me I have nothing to say.” RMJ did not know what CE was referring to. CE then contacted RF via cell phone. CE asked RMJ if RF could come over. CE told RMJ that when RF arrived he would need to speak with him in private (CBS7, Search Warrants).

12 Oct 2016, about 2:00 AM- Downstairs neighbor JF heard RF’s bed shake multiple times (CBS7, Search Warrants).

12 Oct 2016, between 2:00 and 3:00 AM- Downstairs neighbors, JF and his girlfriend, hear RF pacing: "We can hear him pacing back and forth, like all over the house,” (CBS7 interview)

12 Oct 2016, about 3:00 AM- Downstairs neighbors, JF and his girlfriend, hear RF get in the shower (CBS7 interview).

12 Oct 2016, Between 3:00 AM and 4:00 AM- Media reports originally said “residents” last saw Zuzu on Harrison Street around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday morning just before she went missing (CBS7). Zuzu’s boyfriend RF was the resident who claimed to see Zuzu at his apt on Harrison St. (CBS7, Search Warrants). RF was the last known person to see Zuzu (confirmed by APD to WFAA ABC News). RF reportedly told investigators Zuzu left his place between 3 and 4 AM but witness statements say Zuzu’s car remained at the apartment until later in the morning (KHOU).

12 Oct 2016, approximately 3:15 AM- RF made 2 cell phone calls to CE (CBS7, Search Warrants). They communicated using Snapchat around that same time (WFAA, Star-Telegram).

12 Oct 2016, Around 4 AM- RF’s downstairs neighbor JF and his girlfriend said “Going down the stairs, we heard a loud thump.” (WFAA).

12 Oct 2016, Early morning- There was an unconfirmed sighting of Zuzu at Stripes Convenience Store with an unknown man (CBS7, Bigbendnow).

12 Oct 2016, 6:30 AM- The last time Zuzu’s phone indicated service was 6:30 AM (CBS7, Search Warrants). The probable cause affidavit also reveals that a Google timeline linked to Zuzu's Android phone shows the phone was last "...in a close proximity..." to RF's apartment on N. Harrison Street near the university (KHOU).

12 Oct 2016- Texts and phone calls from Zuzu’s friends and family went unanswered. Someone checked her apartment but she wasn’t there (NBC News).

12 Oct 2016- ZuZu's dog was reported running around near her apartment on Wednesday with its leash on. Animal control came, found the dog and put it in her fenced yard (CBS7 video interview w/LE).

12 Oct 2016- Zuzu did not show up for a midterm exam at Sul Ross State University.

12 Oct 2016- Zuzu did not show up for work at Sul Ross State University Gym (CBS7, Search Warrants).

FRIDAY

14 Oct 2016- Zuzu's mother says that she still hadn't heard from her come Friday. She then called Zuzu's boyfriend, who said he also hadn't heard from her. Zuzu's boyfriend said she never showed up for her mid-term exam on Wednesday and she missed her shift at work (CBS7). Zuzu’s mother told RF to call the police (KHOU).

14 Oct 2016, approximately 1:00 PM- Zuzu’s boyfriend RF called the police to report that he had not seen Zuzu since Wed Oct 12 and he requested a welfare check (CBS7, Search Warrants).

14 Oct 2016, Time unknown- Zuzu’s mother called police to report her missing (CBS7).

14 Oct 2016- Law Enforcement checked her residence and found Zuzu’s dog running loose in her backyard with its leash on its collar (CBS7, Search Warrants).

14 Oct 2016, approximately 2:00 PM- CE went to JC’s gas and lube auto shop the first of 3 times that day to try to get his White Ford Mustang cleaned. JC turned CE away because the shop was too busy. CE returned 2 more times that day, within hours, and each time was more eager to have his car cleaned (CBS7, Search Warrants).

14 Oct 2016, Evening- RF went to his friend JC’s Gas and Lube shop. The owner of the shop (JC) said RF was acting “very nervous” and also acting strangely (CBS7, Search Warrants).

14 Oct 2016- While at JC’s Gas and Lube shop, RF borrowed JC’s phone to make a call to CE’s girlfriend (CBS7). JC heard RF say on the phone, “Let me talk to Chris” and RF walked away from JC to talk in private. (CBS7, Search Warrants)

14 Oct 2016- At some point, RF went to the house of gas and lube shop owner JC with his laptop. RF left his laptop at JC’s house. JC later turned the laptop over to police. A warrant to search the laptop says it "...contained items that Robert Fabian wanted to remove from social media." (WFAA).

14 Oct 2016- RF had made a comment to JC that he (RF) did not look good and was a suspect in Zuzu’s disappearance (CBS7).

14 Oct 2016- Zuzu and her friends were planning to go camping in Big Bend National Park on Friday just after mid-terms (CBS7).

SUNDAY

16 Oct 2016- CE’s White Ford Mustang was cleaned at JC’s auto shop (CBS7).

16 Oct 2016- Police tape off Zuzu’s home to process for evidence and impound her car (a 2004 Mazda Miata—confirmed to be Zuzu’s car by a friend of hers to Fox4). Pictures of her car at her apt published by CBS7.

16 Oct 2016- Alpine police ask for anyone who saw a 2006 gray Jeep Liberty or a 2004 Mazda Miata convertible with a beige top being driven between midnight and 10 a.m. on Wed., Oct. 12.

16 Oct 2016- The manager of Stripes confirms they turned over CCTV to Alpine PD (CBS7).

TUESDAY

18 Oct 2016- In an interview, her former HS boyfriend (TA) from Keller, TX says he spoke to Zuzu two weeks ago and told him she wanted to transfer schools. She also talked to TA about her current boyfriend (RF) and said she was feeling unsafe (Fox4).

18 Oct 2016- CE talked to investigators and told them he had given RF a ride on Oct 13.

18 Oct 2016- Witnesses BMJ and JC were interviewed at the Brewster County Emergency Center, 102 South 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] st in Alpine. BMJ relayed what happened at 1 AM on Wed Oct 12[SUP]th[/SUP] (CBS7, Search Warrants)

WEDNESDAY

19 Oct 2016, midday- LE took evidence out of the apt belonging to Zuzu's boyfriend. The boyfriend is listed as a Person of Interest. He has not been officially identified. The boyfriend was taken in for questioning at some point but later released after he got an attorney. The boyfriend has not helped with the search. (CBS 7)

FRIDAY

21 Oct 2016, 11:30 AM- Press conference w/LE and Zuzu’s family; LE said they have a POI, Zuzu’s boyfriend who was not cooperating, LE did not name the POI; Zuzu’s father and brother called the POI by his first name, Robert, and begged him to tell what he knows and help APD find Zuzu.

21 Oct 2016, LE have interviewed over 100 potential witnesses and executed “a dozen” search warrants, in which time they have amassed forensic evidence including computers, cell phones, and vehicles.

21 Oct 2016- Zuzu’s family and the press identify Zuzu’s boyfriend and the POI who will not cooperate with LE as Robert Fabian.

SATURDAY

22 Oct 2016- APD impounds a Dark Grey 2005 Ford F-150 with magnetic decals for U-Construction on it. LE is seeking information about this vehicle’s movement during the early morning hours of Wednesday, October 12. The magnetic decals may have been removed during the time in question. A search warrant has been obtained and a forensic team is now processing the vehicle for evidence (APD FB, CBS7, WFAA). Online records indicate the Ford F-150 belongs to a family member of RF (Fox4). The Ford F-150 belongs to RF's sister's husband, JC (Search Warrants).

22 OR 23 Oct 2016—Zuzu’s parents and brother met with RF’s attorney, Liz Rogers, over the weekend, but learned “nothing,” according to Zuzu’s dad. “It was not productive,” he said (WFAA).

SUNDAY

23 Oct 2016- LE release photos of a 2016 White Ford Mustang belonging to a POI (CE) and ask for anyone who saw it being driven between the hours of midnight Wed. October 12 through Thursday morning October 13[SUP]th[/SUP] to call police. The vehicle is in custody at Alpine PD. The license plate number is HTV-1076 (APD FB, CBS7). LE calls the vehicle “a key piece of evidence” in the case (NBC News). Search warrants allege RF and CE used the Mustang to “conceal” property and “physical evidence”. Authorities asked for DNA, hair, blood or other evidence found in the vehicle (CBS7, Search Warrants).

23 Oct 2016- authorities took evidence from the carpet of the impounded White Mustang and it was sent off to a forensic lab in El Paso. The owner of the White Mustang was questioned, then released (CBS7).

23 Oct 2016- The owner of the white Mustang, CE, posted to Facebook that he gave LE his phone, GPS timeline and car and was not hiding anything (CBS7). CE’s fb post was later deleted (CBS7, NBC news).

TUESDAY

25 Oct 2016- The owner of the white Mustang, CE, was interviewed again for 4.5 hours. CE also took a polygraph given by Texas Rangers, results inconclusive. His car (the white Mustang) was returned to him after testing (CBS7).

25 Oct 2016- Alpine PD brought RF’s sister, JC, as well as his mother, LF, in for questioning (CBS7). The mother and sister are talking but APD believes they are not telling everything they know and plans to convene a grand jury to compel testimony (CBS7).

WEDNESDAY

26 Oct 2016, Early Morning- Search crews used a drone and helicopter to search a field across the street from RF’s sister’s house. RF is currently living with his sister. (CBS7).

26 Oct 2016- Zuzu’s boyfriend, Robert Fabian, was officially named as a suspect in the case; RF’s mother and sister are named as Persons of Interest (Your Basin Local2/Fox4). CE was named by LE as “a key witness” and also a person of interest (FOX4, CBS7).

26 Oct 2016- According to police, RF has been uncooperative with the investigation and has since retained a lawyer. RF’s Lawyer released a statement saying RF is “distraught over the disappearance of Zuzu”. The Lawyer's statement also said RF is cooperating and that they are conducting their own investigation (Your Basin Local2/Fox 24, CBS7).

26 Oct 2016- A neighbor of RF at his apartment complex said he had been asked not to discuss what he knew in detail. He did say he heard the couple arguing the night Zuzu disappeared (WFAA).

26 Oct 2016- The Texas Attorney General's Office has now officially become involved with the case. Alpine Police Chief Russell Scown says that now that the Attorney General is involved they will be able to put together a grand jury and compel witnesses, including Robert Fabian, Zuzu's boyfriend and now suspect in the case, to answer investigators' questions (CBS7, Newswest9).

26 Oct 2016- 83rd District Attorney Rod Ponton made a motion to recuse his office and appoint Adrienne McFarland and Geoff Barr of the Texas Attorney General's Office to provide continuity of the investigation. Ponton is set to leave office in 2017. The motion to recuse Ponton was granted (CBS7, Newswest9).

THURSDAY

27 Oct 2016- CBS 7 News spoke briefly with CE over the phone. CE says he has nothing to do with the disappearance of Zuzu. CE says the last time he saw Zuzu was over a year ago. When asked if CE believes RF was involved somehow he said no (CBS7).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
**ALL media sources referenced are in the media thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ct-2016-Media-Maps-amp-Timeline-NO-DISCUSSION
**For space and clarity, I have taken out the events involving searches and other previous life events not directly related to Zuzu's disappearance. Those events are still in previous versions of the timeline in the media thread.

I live in Crane, two hours north of Alpine--my wife and I are closely watching the events unfold. Alpine is a great little town, just went thru there a few weeks ago on the way to the Big Bend (btw, there is both a state park and a national park called Big Bend). Both are huge, but West Texas is amazingly big in general and if you've never been here, you cannot imagine how much area there is to search. That being said, West Texas towns have some of the best people in the world and I know Zuzu will be found, like Hailey Dunn. There won't be any giving up.

I stayed in Crane briefly but still have co-workers who are out there right now. I swear y'all have the nicest people there! I spent quite a bit of time in McCamey, Crane, Ft. Stockton. Haven't been to Alpine but I suspect they are close knit, good people like their neighboring communities.

Hi! I decided to log in and say hi instead of lurk. You guys are increadible and reading your updates has kept me sane during a 20 day, super tough trip. I almost had a fit when there was an update grrrr. I can't believe where we are with RF and CE looking so guilty and if this is as calculated as it could be it is beyond me why CE wouldn't spill the beans?! Dude, if you helped in any way and don't talk you will be just as guilty as him in the eyes of the court. Texas is Texas. My parents offered foster care for abused and neglected teens when I was 11-19 and once girl stayed with us permanently and was and is by all means my sister, family and I'll always love her. Unfortunately she had some heavy baggage and a terrible childhood and she left home and fell in with a bad crowd. She made some terrible decisions and 2 years ago she was "there" when a murder happened. It was cold and she helped lie and messed with evidence and she is serving a life sentence w/o parole. She could have made a deal or been honest and I think I'd hug her again one day. Now I won't. Anyway CE, this friend is not worth trashing your whole life for. Your poor family too :(

I live in a very liberal state where we feed murderers steak and waffles on taxpayers money. We send them to woodworking shop and let them have pen pal admirers. I say three cheers for Texas being Texas! Maybe I need to move there.

Just looking at the map and timeline together I can tell we are still missing many pieces to what happened.

1. How did RF get from his house to his Sister's house to borrow his BIL's truck? Drive? And why did he borrow it? If it was to hide evidence (or Zuzu) he transferred evidence from one vehicle to the other and left a bigger trail to clean up. What did he need a truck for that his jeep could not do? Or was it just so his vehicle would not be recognized?

2. When did RF return the truck? Length of time he had it and the condition of the truck when he returned it is key, IMO.

3. Why is the time CE picked RF up not given? Why did RF need CE to pick him up? Why did he not just drive his Jeep home? Or is there another friend who dropped him off to pick up the truck?

4. Who helped return Zuzu's car to her apt? RF might have taken care of this himself and walked the several blocks needed to get home but he took a big risk being seen if he did that. It would have been faster to get a friend to follow him and give him a ride/help him wipe her car down.

5. We only know about CE's Mustang getting cleaned at the auto shop. Were the other three vehicles cleaned? Where? When? and by Who?

Just looking at the map and timeline together I can tell we are still missing many pieces to what happened.

1. How did RF get from his house to his Sister's house to borrow his BIL's truck? Drive? And why did he borrow it? If it was to hide evidence (or Zuzu) he transferred evidence from one vehicle to the other and left a bigger trail to clean up. What did he need a truck for that his jeep could not do? Or was it just so his vehicle would not be recognized?

2. When did RF return the truck? Length of time he had it and the condition of the truck when he returned it is key, IMO.

3. Why is the time CE picked RF up not given? Why did RF need CE to pick him up? Why did he not just drive his Jeep home? Or is there another friend who dropped him off to pick up the truck?

4. Who helped return Zuzu's car to her apt? RF might have taken care of this himself and walked the several blocks needed to get home but he took a big risk being seen if he did that. It would have been faster to get a friend to follow him and give him a ride/help him wipe her car down.

5. We only know about CE's Mustang getting cleaned at the auto shop. Were the other three vehicles cleaned? Where? When? and by Who?

Very good questions!

I'm mostly interested in why he borrowed the truck in the middle of the night. What can that truck do what his jeep couldn't? It must have been very important because surely BIL needed the truck back in the morning, so that put time pressure in RF.

I also wonder why CE had his car so urgently cleaned. What was in it? Blood?

These five excellent questions illustrate how deeply RF involved his friend(s) and family. We don't know how much they knew directly of course. CE has been quoted in the warrant, but we don't know what he knew and when. RF borrowing a truck from his sister and her husband had to cause questions. What did he say? Did he give ZuZu's keys to a friend who returned the car for him? No need to wipe it down if he did that.

Clearly, his only thought was for himself in involving family and friends. And any of them who knew what was going on before ZuZu was reported missing...how could they??!!

Very good questions!

I'm mostly interested in why he borrowed the truck in the middle of the night. What can that truck do what his jeep couldn't? It must have been very important because surely BIL needed the truck back in the morning, so that put time pressure in RF.

I also wonder why CE had his car so urgently cleaned. What was in it? Blood?

I wonder if it would be possible to find all the recent construction sites that the company U-Construction has worked on? Although LE's release said the truck may not have had the decals on it, what if it did? Perhaps he borrowed it to go to a construction area he could not access without the truck? Perhaps he used the truck to go borrow tools he needed?

I wonder if it would be possible to find all the recent construction sites that the company U-Construction has worked on? Although LE's release said the truck may not have had the decals on it, what if it did? Perhaps he borrowed it to go to a construction area he could not access without the truck? Perhaps he used the truck to go borrow tools he needed?

Good thinking about borrowing tools. There was a tool box in the bed of the truck, so that may have contained what he needed, depending on what kind of construction work his BIL did. Perhaps RF did access a construction site. I hate that it occurs to me to wonder if there was any cement work scheduled. (Remembering Abraham Shakespeare, murdered for his lottery winnings and buried in a foundation IIRC.) :mad:

Ugh. Landfill. Hate that word.
This is morbid :/ but I read a story at the beginning of the month from India I think where a mans body was found inside a mattress, sewn in. You'd need a truck and you could toss it in the landfill without drawing as much attention and drive there or to Mexico easier too.

These five excellent questions illustrate how deeply RF involved his friend(s) and family. We don't know how much they knew directly of course. CE has been quoted in the warrant, but we don't know what he knew and when. RF borrowing a truck from his sister and her husband had to cause questions. What did he say? Did he give ZuZu's keys to a friend who returned the car for him? No need to wipe it down if he did that.

Clearly, his only thought was for himself in involving family and friends. And any of them who knew what was going on before ZuZu was reported missing...how could they??!!

I think he didn't tell much at first or lied to them but they had to have wondered and asked questions. I don't have any family members or close friends I would loan my WORK vehicle to in the middle of the night/early hours of the morning without asking a lot of questions first. CE knows much more than he is letting on, IMO and his quotes to the media are going to come back to haunt him. CE flat out said he did not think RF did anything to Zuzu. But his actions say otherwise. He was over-eager to have his car cleaned the same day Zuzu was reported missing. Did RF tip him off to do that or did CE just put the pieces together that day? RF then called CE from the shop--was he trying to calm CE down or reassure him or was he collaborating on the story? And RF was sneaky in how he called CE--he borrowed JC's phone and called CE's girlfriend. Was he thinking LE would only ask for his and CE phone and never find out about that phone call from the auto shop?

I'm worried that RF has fled to Mexico. I'm having flashes of Brenda Delgado and the Kendra Hatcher case. It's clear that his family will protect him at all cost. Reporters have been to his apartment and his sister's house and as far as I can tell, no one outside of his family have seen him recently. Can anyone clarify this? If he hasn't fled, I suspect he'll try to once they find Zuzu's body, especially if he has dual citizenship.

MOO.

Good thinking about borrowing tools. There was a tool box in the bed of the truck, so that may have contained what he needed, depending on what kind of construction work his BIL did. Perhaps RF did access a construction site. I hate that it occurs to me to wonder if there was any cement work scheduled. (Remembering Abraham Shakespeare, murdered for his lottery winnings and buried in a foundation IIRC.) :mad:

From the research I have done, it looks like the U Construction was just a small time construction company. The only list 1 employee and only in business 6 years. Their revenue is only just above $100K. for a single year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kdillon