TX - Zuzu Verk, 22, Alpine, 12 Oct 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly cannot imagine why LE are saying they think she's alive. I've been on WS since 2005 and I have never seen a case with an uncooperative, lawyered POI turn out with a live victim. If POI had her alive/knew of her whereabouts, he'd be in so much less trouble that it defies logic for him not to talk.

I've also never seen a confirmed case of a MP being trafficked, ever. I've seen articles of alleged rescues of victims from trafficking, but never have we had a victim who was reported missing and confirmed by LE to be trafficked. It's speculated about in EVERY case, never happens. So I put that at .00001% probability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your post about POIs, and I've never seen a trafficking case on WS either. It does happen, but we just don't see confirmed cases on WS, so it's hardly worth considering. I can't imagine that LE thinks she's alive after asking ranchers to looked for disturbed earth. But for the family's sake they may need to say that.

I suspect the trafficking thought comes from how near they are to the border.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Proximity to Mexico is a possible reason for considering it, but trafficking was discussed on a case as far away from the border as Oregon. To me, the theory is a way of saying "At least she'd be alive." It takes some people longer than others on WS to accept the likelihood that the missing person is dead. Hope springs eternal and doesn't always fall in line with Occam's Razor.

BBM. You don't see "confirmed" cases of trafficking because victims are not named. Police and media will not name a victim by name in order to protect their identity. There have been many cases here where the names of victims were redacted from the threads after they were rescued. I strongly disagree that it "never happens". Just recently, there was a nationwide bust. Here is just one of many articles you can find about it: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/29_pimps_prostitutes_in_nj_arrested_in_fbi_human_t.html
The names and pictures of the pimps and traffickers are there. If human trafficking "never happens" why were all these people arrested and why would LE lie about that on a nationwide scale?
Going back to Zuzu, I don't feel she is a trafficking case, Just my opinion, despite Alpine being near the border. IF she was a trafficking case we would not have a POI, her boyfriend, who refuses to tell anything. If she is alive and her boyfriend sold her he could have made up a story about her running off with some men and blamed her and the people he sold her to. No, I think we have a domestic violence case and they are searching for Zuzu's body. I would love to be wrong about that theory though.

You're quite right that trafficking victims aren't named. I don't think azure was saying that trafficking never happens, but that it's not a common thing to see on WS, even though we do always go there. Personally, I'm not aware of threads here with redacted names, but I don't follow every thread, so I'll take your word for it.

I agree that it's likely domestic violence. I'd love to be wrong too.

I suspect the trafficking thought comes from how near they are to the border.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Yes.

- near to the border
- talking with Mexican authorities
- saying they believe she's alive

Those were the reason that led me to the thought 'trafficking'. I usually don't suspect this to be case at all, and have never seen a case here where it turned out to have actually been the case. But this time I think it might be a possibility.

I'd assume LE's public position that she's likely still alive would be motivated in large part to keep everyone moralized and willing to keep searching. It would be pretty horrible if they acknowledged she's likely dead only to find out later they might have found her alive if they'd kept up search efforts.

You're quite right that trafficking victims aren't named. I don't think azure was saying that trafficking never happens, but that it's not a common thing to see on WS, even though we do always go there. Personally, I'm not aware of threads here with redacted names, but I don't follow every thread, so I'll take your word for it.

I agree that it's likely domestic violence. I'd love to be wrong too.

Please read the Human Trafficking Awareness thread Here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?91597-Human-Trafficking-Awareness-Thread

That is the last I want to say on the subject in Zuzu's thread. Thanks.

#findzuzu

BBM. You don't see "confirmed" cases of trafficking because victims are not named. Police and media will not name a victim by name in order to protect their identity. There have been many cases here where the names of victims were redacted from the threads after they were rescued. I strongly disagree that it "never happens". Just recently, there was a nationwide bust. Here is just one of many articles you can find about it: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/29_pimps_prostitutes_in_nj_arrested_in_fbi_human_t.html
The names and pictures of the pimps and traffickers are there. If human trafficking "never happens" why were all these people arrested and why would LE lie about that on a nationwide scale?
Going back to Zuzu, I don't feel she is a trafficking case, Just my opinion, despite Alpine being near the border. IF she was a trafficking case we would not have a POI, her boyfriend, who refuses to tell anything. If she is alive and her boyfriend sold her he could have made up a story about her running off with some men and blamed her and the people he sold her to. No, I think we have a domestic violence case and they are searching for Zuzu's body. I would love to be wrong about that theory though.

Thanks for elaborating on the trafficking issue. I didn't know that.

I just saw the story about Zuzu Verk! She is a beautiful young woman! Her picture immediately reminded me of Christina Morris. I am praying that Zuzu is found very quickly.

"I know that you love her, I hope that you do" Father of missing Alpine student urges boyfriend to cooperate in press conference

According to Alpine Police Chief Russell Scown, the search for Zuzu has expanded to a total of 400 square miles including Pecos, Brewster, and Jeff Davis Counties.
The search has included several law enforcement agencies, including DPS, the Texas Rangers, multiple sheriff's offices, the U.S. Border Patrol and U.S. Customs and Border Protection who have searched for Zuzu daily.

Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson says that law enforcement is also in contact with authorities in Mexico on the chance that the investigation leads in that direction.

As around 120 law enforcement officers search for Zuzu both through the air and on ground, Chief Scown says that more than 25 investigators are working on the case of her disappearance.

The investigators have collected more than 100 statements from potential witnesses, obtained 12 search warrants, and have gathered cell phones, computers and vehicles all as evidence in the case.

In the case investigators originally had three Persons of Interest, though Chief Scown says one was cleared after speaking with investigators.

One of the two remaining Persons of Interest is Zuzu Verk's boyfriend, who has not been assisting with the search or investigation and has not been officially identified

Chief Scown said flatly towards the boyfriend in a message "The investigators are waiting to talk to you."

Zuzu's dog was found by investigators, and Chief Scown says that circumstances surrounding the dog are leading investigators in a certain direction. Those circumstances were not described in the press conference.

Glenn Verk addressed Zuzu's boyfriend, urging him to help with the search and investigation. Miles Verk, Zuzu's big brother, also spoke at the press conference with a message directed towards Zuzu's boyfriend.

"Robert, if you love Zuzu as much as you say you do and have told me over and over, you will come down here and you will help the police bring my sister home."

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/I-...-cooperate-in-press-conference-397937491.html

And we're off and running...............another, "The boyfriend was the last to see her", case.

The boyfriend has been named WFAA ABC news update. First & last name in this video.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/zuzu-verk-update/339980569

Linked below is the published info from the video.

"Unfortunately we have one individual who we believe does have information, who has refused to come and talk to us," Scown says.
Zuzu's family identifies the boyfriend as Robert Fabian, someone Zuzu has dated now for at least six months. Our call and email to his attorney were not returned Friday.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/zuzu-verks-family-speaks-about-daughters-disappearance/339962167

I just saw the story about Zuzu Verk! She is a beautiful young woman! Her picture immediately reminded me of Christina Morris. I am praying that Zuzu is found very quickly.

Hi Bootsie!I said the same thing. She reminds me of CM and the POI of Ea. I pray the outcome is different.

Alpine, Texas is a small little town by anybodies standards. It's hard to believe anyone could really just up and vanish there for any reason. The boyfriend has lawyered up now, and we all know what that means.............find her yourself.

As you can see on the map, there are lots of wide open prairie as well as rugged terrain, not to mention an entire State Park. Searching all of that in a short time period is going to be almost impossible, not to mention a lot of the land is privately owned. I highly doubt she's anywhere inside the city limits. This story will spread like wildfire and everybody in the community would have heard about it by now. Things like this don't normally happen in that community.

Based on the press conference, her reputation and mannerisms, and the boyfriends lack of cooperation, I think it's safe to say that this case isn't going to end on a pleasant note.

map here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=19RLQS68va30_91opQbe2DdU5BRU

Gardener, thanks so much for transcribing the press conference. Her brother was the finale. If there was anything else of importance beyond thanks to the press for coming, and I don't think there was, it was overshadowed by his grief. For all the optimism from LE that they think she is still alive, I imagine her family knows that is unlikely.
JMO
Unless he sold her.

It's awesome that her dog provided LE with a pointer, isn't it? I wonder what it was? Where he was found? Fingerprints on the leash?

I would like to know where dog found? I think it was reported Zuzu was last seen on Harrison at 3:30 AM walking the dog, but haven't seen where dog was found and reported to animal control. Was dog found on Harrison or another street or had dog made its way back to Zuzu's street?

Alpine, Texas is a small little town by anybodies standards. It's hard to believe anyone could really just up and vanish there for any reason. The boyfriend has lawyered up now, and we all know what that means.............find her yourself.

As you can see on the map, there are lots of wide open prairie as well as rugged terrain, not to mention an entire State Park. Searching all of that in a short time period is going to be almost impossible, not to mention a lot of the land is privately owned. I highly doubt she's anywhere inside the city limits. This story will spread like wildfire and everybody in the community would have heard about it by now. Things like this don't normally happen in that community.

Based on the press conference, her reputation and mannerisms, and the boyfriends lack of cooperation, I think it's safe to say that this case isn't going to end on a pleasant note.

map here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=19RLQS68va30_91opQbe2DdU5BRU

As I have already said on this thread, I grew up in Marfa.(Very long time ago.) So eerie to know that she disappeared from Alpine. I was looking at the map you posted and noticed that it looks like Shafter is in the search area and was reminded of the old silver mines there. I wonder if all the mines are gated over, or cemented over or whatever is done to old mines. I would imagine the authorities are searching there also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734