UCLA B-Ball players arrested in China-being detained...

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They will keep the players suspended for a couple of weeks, until things die down a bit. Then they will go back to playing ball, as if nothing had happened.

They will keep the players suspended for a couple of weeks, until things die down a bit. Then they will go back to playing ball, as if nothing had happened.

I think so too. :mad:

They are guaranteed special treatment on US soil. In China it took an appeal of the POTUS to get them out of custody. In the US it will be automatic. They are now home free. Sure they will get a slap on the wrist, but that is all.

Had he not been on his Asian tour at the time of the young men's arrests, would the President have interceded for them? His close proximity to Chinese dignitaries and the successful meetings probably helped immensely to pave the way in the matter that could have warranted prison time for the three UCLA team members.

I was late arriving home for the presser but am happy to know that the young men apologized for their offenses and that they thanked President Trump for having expedited their return to the U.S.

Coach Steve Alford announced that LiAngelo Ball, Jalen Hill and Cody Riley will each serve indefinite suspensions while the UCLA athletic department and office of student conduct review the incident. They will not travel with the team or suit up for home games, though they may eventually earn back the right to rejoin practices and team meetings.

“These young men are going to have to prove through their words and actions that this is not who they are and they will not let their identity be defined by this incident. I know Gelo, Cody and Jalen well, and I’m confident they have already begun to use this experience as a life lesson. They’re going to have to regain the trust of this athletic department, this university and because this was such a high-profile international matter, the trust of the general public.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/ucla-indef...ers-arrested-shoplifting-china-193835792.html

UCLA athletes arrested in China thank President Trump for their release
by Phil McCausland

Three UCLA basketball players who were arrested in China apologized to their families and fans and thanked President Donald Trump for helping to get their release.

Freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill held the press conference Wednesday at the UCLA basketball stadium. It was the first time the college athletes have spoken publicly since Nov. 7, when they were held in Hangzhou — a little more than 100 miles southwest of Shanghai — for allegedly shoplifting...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports...a-thank-president-trump-their-release-n821111

UCLA players arrested in China apologize and are suspended
Trio of players allowed to leave China

(CNN) - (Breaking news update, posted at 2:43 p.m. ET)

LiAngelo Ball and two teammates on UCLA's basketball team have been suspended indefinitely after they shoplifted in China.

UCLA coach Steve Alford made the announcement after the three players publicly acknowledged the theft. "They will have to earn their way back," Alford said.

Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill apologized Wednesday after they were accused of shoplifting in China...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/3-ucla-basketball-players-arrested-in-china-to-make-statements

WOW! So all three got suspended from the team. I really did not think that would happen.

WOW! So all three got suspended from the team. I really did not think that would happen.

They got off easy. They were facing years in prison for shoplifting in China and if they were regular citizens and not athletes they could have well gotten that.

OK, I believe they are sorry, I believe they will not do anything like this again. I do believe they have learned their lesson. I liked that they thanked President Trump. I hope they go on and do positive things with their lives.

What lesson would that be? If you or me went to China and shoplifted, I don't think president would interfere on our behalf since we aren't famous athletes.
So is the lesson that if you are an athlete, you get off? Why shouldn't have they faced the consequences like any other person?

The UCLA basketball players were lucky that the President expedited their prompt release. There have been Americans who were severely punished for crimes they committed in foreign countries. Most recently, Otto Warmbier in North Korea (discussion elsewhere on this forum), and I also remember the case of young Michael Fay who was caned in Singapore for minor vandalism in 1995.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/26/us/us-student-tells-of-pain-of-his-caning-in-singapore.html

These young men faced up to 10 years in a Chinese prison. I, for one, am thankful the President intervened and saw the worth in these boys, whether they were athletes or not. They are being punished, their responses were humble and apologetic, this has forever changed their lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These young men faced up to 10 years in a Chinese prison. I, for one, am thankful the President intervened and saw the worth in these boys, whether they were athletes or not. They are being punished, their responses were humble and apologetic, this has forever changed their lives.

When people come to US from other countries, we want them to follow our laws and pay penalties under our laws. But yet apparently when Americans go to other countries, we don't expect them to follow the laws and pay penalties of those countries? Go figure.

When people come to US from other countries, we want them to follow our laws and pay penalties under our laws. But yet apparently when Americans go to other countries, we don't expect them to follow the laws and pay penalties of those countries? Go figure.

Yes, they were expected to follow that country's laws while they were there. And if the stars hadn't aligned and President Trump had not been in China, they would probably be spending a very long time in a Chinese prison, and rightfully so under Chinese law. Still yet, I am thankful our President saw fit to intervene.

Yes, they were expected to follow that country's laws while they were there. And if the stars hadn't aligned and President Trump had not been in China, they would probably be spending a very long time in a Chinese prison, and rightfully so under Chinese law. Still yet, I am thankful our President saw fit to intervene.

And if they had to spend time in Chinese prison, then they would have learned a lesson. As it is, I don't think this sets a good example of how to behave, especially when visiting other countries.

And if they had to spend time in Chinese prison, then they would have learned a lesson. As it is, I don't think this sets a good example of how to behave, especially when visiting other countries.

I am a person who has been shown much grace when it has been completely undeserved. And that grace allowed me to turn my life around. I hope these boys understand the gift they've been given and adjust their lives accordingly.

ETA: I've learned many more lessons during the periods of grace than during the periods of "getting what I deserved".

I am a person who has been shown much grace when it has been completely undeserved. And that grace allowed me to turn my life around. I hope these boys understand the gift they've been given and adjust their lives accordingly.

I hope so too. I really hope they don't take this break for granted, and assume they can continue to be 'entitled' and get away with doing as they please.

They seemed surprisingly humble and they admitted they stole from 3 stores. That is a great step forward. It gives me hope they are turning things around.

I hope so too. I really hope they don't take this break for granted, and assume they can continue to be 'entitled' and get away with doing as they please.

They seemed surprisingly humble and they admitted they stole from 3 stores. That is a great step forward. It gives me hope they are turning things around.

I really hope so, too.

It's be hard to deny what is reportedly on video, wouldn't it?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kcou111
Back