UCLA B-Ball players arrested in China-being detained...

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
UCLA Basketball Players Arrested in China Are Headed Home
by Elizabeth Chuck and Rosanna Arlia

Three UCLA basketball players who were arrested on suspicion of shoplifting while on a tour of China last week are headed back to the United States.

Freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Jalen Hill and Cody Riley were detained at the team's hotel in Hangzhou, about 100 miles southwest of Shanghai, on Nov. 7.

Larry Scott, commissioner of the Pac-12 conference, confirmed in a statement Tuesday that the trio were on a flight back to Los Angeles and said "the matter has been resolved to the satisfaction of the Chinese authorities." ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ucla-basketball-players-arrested-china-are-headed-home-n820581

I'm curious myself and will follow up. I'm upset that they didn't spend 1 night in Chinese jail. What did the US have to give up to China to get these 3 hoodlums out of jail? These three better not continue on their more than half a million dollar UCLA scholarship and welcomed back on the team.

My guess that very little will happen. They may be suspended for a game to two, but that is all and be back on the team.

Press conference tomorrow. No questions allowed. I wonder if the hoopsters will at least apologize.

Press conference tomorrow. No questions allowed. I wonder if the hoopsters will at least apologize.

The men are scheduled to hold a news conference on Wednesday morning at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ucla-basketball-players-arrested-china-are-headed-home-n820581

Clearly it sounds like they are apologizing. I would have been happier if the the news conference was being held by the Athletic Director of UCLA or a higher up at NCAA, but no, they will let these guys apologize and put them in the next game. What a shame, they should bench them the entire season.

I'm curious myself and will follow up. I'm upset that they didn't spend 1 night in Chinese jail. What did the US have to give up to China to get these 3 hoodlums out of jail? These three better not continue on their more than half a million dollar UCLA scholarship and welcomed back on the team.

Exactly what I wondered. What kind of "deal" was struck with China? This type of crime warrants several years in Chinese prison, but the three athletes saw no jail time and will soon be back in U.S.A. At what cost to our country? :thinking:

Unfortunately, we know very little of what happened, the evidence against them etc. So who knows. I doubt the Chinese would have arrested them without something having actually happened, but they aren't above exaggerating things for their PR benefit. I doubt that the US actually agreed to anything, but the Chinese already got what they wanted: embarrassing the US, mostly to their own people, and those in the region. Believe me from someone who has been to China a few times in the last couple years, their internal "news" is VERY negative towards the USA, and they can use this sort of thing to reinforce that.

I doubt that the 3 of them will apologize because they do not want to admit any true guilt. They want to play on the team and save their scholarships.

I think it will be one of those 'slippery' apologies, saying 'sorry if it caused upset and inconvenience for others' type of thing.

They will be benched for a short while then back on the team, no problem. JMO

A person with knowledge of the Pac-12's decision said any discipline involving the trio would be up to UCLA. UCLA Chancellor Gene Block said the school is weighing its options. "I want to be clear that we take seriously any violations of the law," he said in a statement. "In this particular case, both Athletics and the Office of Student Conduct will review this incident and guide any action with respect to the involved students. Such proceedings are confidential, which limits the specific information that can be shared."

There was no immediate word on the trio's status for the team's home opener Wednesday night against Central Arkansas.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/trump-hopes-swift-return-ucla-players-detained-china-095653001--spt.html

All charges against the basketball players have been dropped, according to a report from China Sports Insider.

Riley, Hill and Ball will share statements with the media Wednesday at approximately 11 a.m., followed by coach Steve Alford and athletic director Dan Guerrero.

http://dailybruin.com/2017/11/14/uc...-fly-home-after-one-week-detainment-in-china/

A person with knowledge of the Pac-12's decision said any discipline involving the trio would be up to UCLA. UCLA Chancellor Gene Block said the school is weighing its options. "I want to be clear that we take seriously any violations of the law," he said in a statement. "In this particular case, both Athletics and the Office of Student Conduct will review this incident and guide any action with respect to the involved students. Such proceedings are confidential, which limits the specific information that can be shared."

There was no immediate word on the trio's status for the team's home opener Wednesday night against Central Arkansas.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/trump-hopes-swift-return-ucla-players-detained-china-095653001--spt.html

All charges against the basketball players have been dropped, according to a report from China Sports Insider.

Riley, Hill and Ball will share statements with the media Wednesday at approximately 11 a.m., followed by coach Steve Alford and athletic director Dan Guerrero.

http://dailybruin.com/2017/11/14/uc...-fly-home-after-one-week-detainment-in-china/

BINGO---there ya go>>> ALL CHARGES HAVE BEEN DROPPED.

So UCLA now has the ability to put them back on the team and pretend it never happened.

Well, I have not read all the posts yet BUT I for one hope they are not given a "hero's" welcome when they step on to US soil! They need to have some serious punishment!!!!!

HA! So they have a news conference at 11am Wednesday and a game Wednesday night, with no word on if they will play, I bet they play. What a joke. I truly don’t understand the way athletes are treated in this country. I will be shocked if they get any type of discipline.

Well, I have not read all the posts yet BUT I for one hope they are not given a "hero's" welcome when they step on to US soil! They need to have some serious punishment!!!!!
Assuming everything the 'UCLA sources' and the Chinese say is true.

PERSONAL CONDUCT
Student-athletes are expected to conduct themselves, both on and off campus, in a manner which brings credit to the University
and their teams. Student-athletes must be concerned with any behavior which might embarrass themselves, their teams, and/or
the University. All incident reports for on-campus residents will be forwarded to the Athletic Department for appropriate action.
Student-athletes must be especially concerned with the following areas of student misconduct:

• Stealing, or being an accessory to theft

http://static.uclabruins.com/pdf/sa-handbook.pdf?db_oem_id=30500

Not only did they discredit the University, they discredited the entire USA. But they will be back to playing ball. Nobody really cares about the personal conduct of athletes. That's been proven time and again.

Probably not much. I'm sure that the University has probably already paid restitution for the items. So the Chinese will probably just ban them from entering the country again. Problem solved for them.

We'll find out tomorrow what UCLA is all about. I know of many athletic programs that would do the right thing and make a large statement that this kind of behaviour is not tolerated. We'll see....

They've embarrassed their families , school, and country. They may lose their scholarship, and these type trips may also come under scrutiny (as they should). As OP said, people here in the U.S. don't always serve time over shoplifting (but some do). At the VERY least, they should sit the rest of the season out, in the locker room, not even on the bench. I doubt they realized how serious this could have been.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I really wish the university would kick them off the team and take away the scholarship at least for the one(s) proven on the video that stole the glasses.

If no serious punishment is ever done then no wonder people like them keep doing things like this. It sets a horrible example if we continue to just give slaps on the wrist.

Not only did they discredit the University, they discredited the entire USA. But they will be back to playing ball. Nobody really cares about the personal conduct of athletes. That's been proven time and again.

No, they don't. Status has always been granted forgiveness. It goes on every day, to different degrees, all over this country, down to every tiny town (and extends worldwide).

I really wish the university would kick them off the team and take away the scholarship at least for the one(s) proven on the video that stole the glasses.

If no serious punishment is ever done then no wonder people like them keep doing things like this. It sets a horrible example if we continue to just give slaps on the wrist.

I do too. One of mine has been in trouble. As hard as it is, it is what it is. I don't see, jail time over lifting some sunglasses, even here, unless there were just a ton of other stuff, however, I do think that they should lose their scholarships and no longer have a place on the team. That's what I would do as hard as it would be to take that from them. I feel there has to be a significant consequence. I'd be more likely to forgive it, if it were on U.S. land, in their own hometown. They embarrassed our country. They represented their school and by default, their state, and their country. One of mine has been fortunate enough to go over to France her final year of h.s. Had mine pulled something like that, I'd be waiting at the airport, and it wouldn't be pretty. It might even make the national nightly news. Parent Flogs Thieving Child at Airline Gate.

Among those insisting that the trio be suspended for the entire season was Los Angeles Times columnist Bill Plaschke, who wrote, “If the three students had any sort of involvement in something so appallingly entitled and dumb while on a school trip to a foreign country, UCLA’s next move should be clear. School authorities should say welcome home, and see you next season.”

Hanson Wang, a columnist for UCLA’s student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, called for his school to “lay down the hammer” in disciplining the trio. Citing his grandfather’s firsthand, frustrating experience with the Chinese legal system, Wang wrote that UCLA “should suspend the three players for the entire year and possibly more. These players were responsible for representing UCLA and the country during their time abroad, and they failed to meet even the most basic standards of law-abiding citizens,” Wang wrote. “UCLA must hold them accountable and send the message that no player — or players — can be let off the hook for violating foreign laws and making a fool out of the school, the Pac-12 and the U.S.”

“UCLA officials now have the delicate task of determining a suitable punishment,” wrote USA Today’s Nancy Armour . “And by suitable, I mean one that won’t incur the wrath of Ball’s father, LaVar. Or prompt him to yank another son out of school.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-lengthy-suspensions/?utm_term=.47f3002a406b

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back