UCLA B-Ball players arrested in China-being detained...

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
UCLA PLAYERS LEAVING CHINA, FLYING TO U.S. ... Trump Weighs In

6:06 AM PT -- President Trump was asked about the UCLA situation before boarding Air Force One ... and praised Chinese President Xi for helping out.
"President Xi has been terrific on that subject ... But that was not a good subject. That was not something that should have happened."
When asked specifically for his thoughts on the shoplifting allegations, Trump said, "What they did was unfortunate."
"You know, you’re talking about very long prison sentences. They [Chinese officials] do not play games."
UCLA Players Leaving China, Flying to U.S., Trump Weighs In (UPDATE) | TMZ.com

Following their release, some have wondered if Trump could not also have used his influence to press the case of other individuals:

On Twitter, Sophie Richardson, the China director of Human Rights Watch, asks if the president also made time to speak with Xi about figures like Liu Xia, the Panchen Lama, and Ilham Tohti.
Anyone else get such attention? Such as #LiuXia, #PanchenLama, #IlhamTohti, or the family members of US citizens held and persecuted by #China? https://t.co/Nv4haLjJ2M
— Sophie Richardson (@SophieHRW) November 13, 2017

Wendell Brown, a former college football player, says he defended himself in a bar fight in China. More than a year later, he is still detained without a verdict. His family hopes the UCLA story will bring attention & bring him home https://t.co/Aw6HBEFw3w pic.twitter.com/ifUmawuuiH
— David Gardner (@byDavidGardner) November 9, 2017

Back in July, many worried that the same fate would befall Guthrie McLean, an American college student who was detained in Zhengzhou following a scuffle with a cab driver. However, McLean was freed after just one week after his mother managed to attract the attention of international media.

http://shanghaiist.com/2017/11/15/free-ball.php

I really wish the university would kick them off the team and take away the scholarship at least for the one(s) proven on the video that stole the glasses.

If no serious punishment is ever done then no wonder people like them keep doing things like this. It sets a horrible example if we continue to just give slaps on the wrist.

YEP! I agree, and what does it say to the ones who follow the rules?

So what if LaVar Ball takes his kid out of school, let him, that dude is part of the problem. His statement "it's no big deal" says it all. I think they should be off the team, for at least a year. But don't let them just sit around doing nothing. Well we'll see, time will tell.

So what if LaVar Ball takes his kid out of school, let him, that dude is part of the problem. His statement "it's no big deal" says it all. I think they should be off the team, for at least a year. But don't let them just sit around doing nothing. Well we'll see, time will tell.

I agree. The oldest son, Lonzo, played with UCLA (under scholarship) his freshman year before he was picked up by the Lakers. All that scholarship money could have been given to another basketball hopeful that was actually looking for a 4 year degree. The Ball kids have no interest in college, it's just for the exposure to the NBA and hopefully they don't have to "waste" 4 years of college ball.

This is exactly what bothers me about athlete scholars. If you want to play, pay for it. Give the scholarships to those that actually have a grasp as to what they are learning in class and want to use that UCLA degree in life. Most schools had mid-terms the past few weeks, are these basketball players held to a different standard?

Following their release, some have wondered if Trump could not also have used his influence to press the case of other individuals:

On Twitter, Sophie Richardson, the China director of Human Rights Watch, asks if the president also made time to speak with Xi about figures like Liu Xia, the Panchen Lama, and Ilham Tohti.
Anyone else get such attention? Such as #LiuXia, #PanchenLama, #IlhamTohti, or the family members of US citizens held and persecuted by #China? https://t.co/Nv4haLjJ2M
— Sophie Richardson (@SophieHRW) November 13, 2017

Wendell Brown, a former college football player, says he defended himself in a bar fight in China. More than a year later, he is still detained without a verdict. His family hopes the UCLA story will bring attention & bring him home https://t.co/Aw6HBEFw3w pic.twitter.com/ifUmawuuiH
— David Gardner (@byDavidGardner) November 9, 2017

Back in July, many worried that the same fate would befall Guthrie McLean, an American college student who was detained in Zhengzhou following a scuffle with a cab driver. However, McLean was freed after just one week after his mother managed to attract the attention of international media.

http://shanghaiist.com/2017/11/15/free-ball.php

These stories are so scary, to me. This is what I thought would happen to the three UCLA players. They were given special treatment though, they were allowed to stay in their hotel, but that's where the special treatment needs to end. They are back home now, no more special treatment. They need some serious disciple.

Among those insisting that the trio be suspended for the entire season was Los Angeles Times columnist Bill Plaschke, who wrote, “If the three students had any sort of involvement in something so appallingly entitled and dumb while on a school trip to a foreign country, UCLA’s next move should be clear. School authorities should say welcome home, and see you next season.”

Hanson Wang, a columnist for UCLA’s student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, called for his school to “lay down the hammer” in disciplining the trio. Citing his grandfather’s firsthand, frustrating experience with the Chinese legal system, Wang wrote that UCLA “should suspend the three players for the entire year and possibly more. These players were responsible for representing UCLA and the country during their time abroad, and they failed to meet even the most basic standards of law-abiding citizens,” Wang wrote. “UCLA must hold them accountable and send the message that no player — or players — can be let off the hook for violating foreign laws and making a fool out of the school, the Pac-12 and the U.S.”

“UCLA officials now have the delicate task of determining a suitable punishment,” wrote USA Today’s Nancy Armour . “And by suitable, I mean one that won’t incur the wrath of Ball’s father, LaVar. Or prompt him to yank another son out of school.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-lengthy-suspensions/?utm_term=.47f3002a406b

The father, re; the incident: :facepalm:
LaVar Ball, LiAngelo’s father, who was with the Bruins in China when the arrests occurred and said of them, “It ain’t that big of a deal.” LaVar Ball’s oldest son, Lonzo,

The school newspaper columnist wants them to "lay the hammer down" on them. I agree. Anyone who they have proof that they stole, should suffer consequences, it should not matter about handling being "delicate" with Dad. That's just pitiful. Shouldn't have to be "delicate" with him. I'd not be made at the school, if I were any of the parents, I'd be furious with my child.

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/pres...a-players-return-china?cid=eref:nbcnews:video

You would think that the parents of these players would absolutely insist that their wayward sons apologize to the President of the United States for them to be able to return to the United States instead of most probably spend years in jail, but it is obvious that the parents haven't taught them any manners or morals or they would not have gotten into trouble in the first place. This is totally disgusting to me. What spoiled, entitled snots!

The father, re; the incident: :facepalm:

The school newspaper columnist wants them to "lay the hammer down" on them. I agree. Anyone who they have proof that they stole, should suffer consequences, it should not matter about handling being "delicate" with Dad. That's just pitiful. Shouldn't have to be "delicate" with him. I'd not be made at the school, if I were any of the parents, I'd be furious with my child.

Exactly, why on earth should anyone have to tip toe around this "father"? Obviously, the apple did not fall far from the tree. This man, Ball, should be more concerned with teaching his son some manners and morals. JMO

No questions to the players. They're on US soil now, no more special treatment!

No questions to the players. They're on US soil now, no more special treatment!

They are guaranteed special treatment on US soil. In China it took an appeal of the POTUS to get them out of custody. In the US it will be automatic. They are now home free. Sure they will get a slap on the wrist, but that is all.

CNN covering press conference live. They are apologizing to everyone and thanking the president.

I missed the beginning, but it appears they admit stealing from multiple stores. moo

Wow--the 3 of them just admitted stealing from 'the stores' ---that surprised me and I appreciate that they confessed.

They also thanked Trump---another surprise.

But they also spoke of 'being thankful for being on the team.' UCLA is suspending them. But they will earn their way back, I am sure.

OK, I believe they are sorry, I believe they will not do anything like this again. I do believe they have learned their lesson. I liked that they thanked President Trump. I hope they go on and do positive things with their lives.

Just watched the players' statements and IMO they appeared very contrite and sincerely apologetic for their stupid actions. They also thanked many people including the United States and President Trump. Now, waiting to see what the penalty will be or if there will be one.
I'm sure they are saying all the right things (probably with lots of help and advice).

Update: MSNBC: suspended indefinitely

wow---so they did steal from 3 different stores. what dummies.

wow---so they did steal from 3 different stores. what dummies.

Yes, there is video. No idea what was stolen or what they found on them, but early on they said they have video.

It wasn't just sunglasses at Louis Vuitton.

I am pleasantly surprised that the 3 of them confessed and were seemingly humble. I hope this marks a major turn around in their attitudes and they are able to see things more realistically. Those feelings of 'athletic entitlement' need to be erased so they can live more honestly.

They are very young so that have plenty of time to move forward and get their careers back on track.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edlynch
Back