UK - 39 bodies found in lorry, Essex, 23 October 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole thing is utterly tragic to me. These poor desperate people, think they're coming to the promised land to save their families back home and the reality is if they're LUCKY (and survive the trip) they get to work in nail bars, as potwash or picking bloody cockles. Someone upthread made a comment about disease control. They're not animals, needing quarantine!! We don't check tourists for disease, do we?

They're completely dehumanised, "cargo". Thank God that Essex police are focusing on their dignity and in death they will be treated with respect and care.

Meanwhile, some greedy little bunch buy bigger houses, flashy cars and pimp up their cabs.

:mad:

Very well said!

Maybe no-one in this whole sorry saga is entirely innocent.. the poor souls who died were trying to avoid normal migration controls, for whatever reason? The people funding their trips... ditto? Those arranging the travel .. ditto.. plus any other infringements whilst avoiding the controls ? And those providing the transport .. again ditto .. The fact that this particular scenario ended so badly needs to be widely broadcast ... to make everyone involved think twice before embarking on such a course of action in future.

If the reports of a convoy were true, then maybe there are 61 people who achieved their aim ... at least in the short term. Does this set a risk factor of 60% on future journeys? The payments quoted .. 30,000 .. how long does it take to save that sort of money .... This will only stop when the risks outweigh the possible gains.

A lot of that 30K is fronted. Maybe not this particular operation. They then are indentured slaves, prostitutes, etc. I'm a bit concerned with the trafficking vs smuggling charges. I dunno. JMO

ETA those "poor souls" are victims.

Last edited:
The whole thing is utterly tragic to me. These poor desperate people, think they're coming to the promised land to save their families back home and the reality is if they're LUCKY (and survive the trip) they get to work in nail bars, as potwash or picking bloody cockles. Someone upthread made a comment about disease control. They're not animals, needing quarantine!! We don't check tourists for disease, do we?

They're completely dehumanised, "cargo". Thank God that Essex police are focusing on their dignity and in death they will be treated with respect and care.

Meanwhile, some greedy little bunch buy bigger houses, flashy cars and pimp up their cabs.

Could not agree more HKP.

A lot of that 30K is fronted. Maybe not this particular operation. They then are indentured slaves, prostitutes, etc. I'm a bit concerned with the trafficking vs smuggling charges. I dunno. JMO
Good point about the trafficking charge. I kind of hope that comes down to some legal terminology rather than the connotations of "trafficking"

I agree. I wanted to believe that he didn’t know that he was transporting human beings but I can’t imagine now that he wasn’t involved.

What gave him away was that he opened the trailer, breaking the seal. Drivers are not supposed to do that. Big red flag.

I hope his pregnant partner and her babies are well supported by friends and family, and the community. She will now have to bring the twins up without their father. Her life and heart must be shattered. (Assuming she is innocent in all of this.)

@Fidobell You shared some of your partner's knowledge regarding lorries, routes, procedures, etc, what does your partner think about the driver opening the trailer? Does that ever happen and if so, in what circumstances would it be ok for the driver to do so?

That was i, sorry all, no offense intended.

26 October 2019

Eamon Harrison appears in court after arrest at Dublin port

751DB0E9-0256-4F98-B7B1-773E661C2AB3.jpeg

Eamon Harrison, from Mayobridge, Co Down came before Dublin District Court on foot of warrant issued after he was charged with assault and criminal damage.

Detective Garda Pat Flood of the National Immigration Bureau told Judge Anthony Halpin that Mr Harrison was arrested at 1.15pm on a truck coming off an Irish ferry at Dublin Port on Saturday and brought to Store Street Garda station where he was charged.

He also said he believed Harrison disposed of a mobile phone and by the truck-driver’s own admission, had spent the last few days in France.

The court was told the phone has not been recovered.

Co Down truck driver appears in court after arrest at Dublin port

More:

Mr Harrison’s parents stood at the back of the court during the hearing and the court heard they were willing to lodge E1000 into the court.

His solicitor said he would agree to a daily sign-on at a garda station - he had a great aunt living in Clogher, in Co Louth, “in the jurisdiction”.

The solicitor said there were “heightened tensions” over this past week but Mr Harrison was generally someone who would come before the court.

Considering bail, Judge Halpin asked if Mr Harrison wished to give evidence but the trucker did not speak in court.

Judge Halpin said: “I have certain fears that Garda Flood has laid out of organising this special route to come back into the country.”

Refusing bail he remanded Mr Harrison to Cloverhill District Court, on October 30.

Co Down truck driver appears in court after arrest at Dublin port

I think the journey was delayed is a likely scenario. Driver maybe chose to check on the load for this reason? Discovered the souls onboard had perished and reverted to cover story - no idea what was onboard, only went round to check paperwork, called ambulance, innocent and shocked, fainted.

U.K. Police Charge Truck Driver With Manslaughter After 39 Dead Bodies Found
"People smugglers normally take the passports of their passengers to obscure their identities, stripping them of their names and giving them new documents when they arrive at their destinations."

"U.K. police say they’ve been in contact with Vietnamese authorities, even though they are not yet certain of the identities of those found dead Wednesday in the refrigerated truck. The Vietnamese government has also announced its own investigation into the deaths.

The number for the Vietnamese hotline is +44 7713 181501.

Those seeking assistance in relation to the case can also contact Vietnam’s general citizen protection hotline at +84981 8484 84."

I think the journey was delayed is a likely scenario. Driver maybe chose to check on the load for this reason? Discovered the souls onboard had perished and reverted to cover story - no idea what was onboard, only went round to check paperwork, called ambulance, innocent and shocked, fainted.
Maybe not paperwork, but would it be feasible that he became aware of movement in the trailer? I don't know if there would be any kind of sensor that would detect the load shifting. If so, that could be his explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801