UK UK - Ann Heron, 44, found at home with throat cut, Darlington, 3 August 1990

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How could the semen in her throat possibly have got there through cross-contamination? Why would fresh semen in her throat "not implicate" the provider of that semen. How do you know that it wasn't fresh semen? How can you be so absolute about that. You're doing an admirable job in defending PH, who you obviously passionately believe. So many of us on this thread obviously don't though.
I know by the facts of the evidence files, crime scene photos, witness statements, pathologists reports...... I 'believe' because I've seen the evidence and have not just assumed.
Cross contamination can occur when a body is transported from a 'dirty' scene to a mortuary.
The police don't think so.
The police self referred themselves to the IOPC. If a cast iron alibi was not there the legal team of the documentary production team would not have allowed it to air. Peter has an alibi from 2pm to 6pm

I know by the facts of the evidence files, crime scene photos, witness statements, pathologists reports...... I 'believe' because I've seen the evidence and have not just assumed.
Cross contamination can occur when a body is transported from a 'dirty' scene to a mortuary.

The police self referred themselves to the IOPC. If a cast iron alibi was not there the legal team of the documentary production team would not have allowed it to air. Peter has an alibi from 2pm to 6pm
Transporting AH from a 'dirty site' to a mortuary could (in your argument did) implant PH's semen in her throat? I find that a quite extraordinary claim. You're clearly an advocate for PH so I do not know why you are on this site trying to debunk every contribution.

And another thing: PH arrives home to find his wife murdered yet at no time does he ever think that the murderer might still be in the house. He then phones police and his friend and goes outside to his car where he leaves traces of AH's blood on his car, thus removing any viable use of the car as evidence. His friend then arrives before police and he asks him to go in to confirm to him that it is true. Yet at no time does he consider that the murderer is still in the house and that he might be putting his friend's life in peril. Of course, he knew the murderer was not still in the house without the need to check.
How would you guess this to be correct? How would you know what Peter did or dodbt think? You don't know this as fact - which it isn't. His friend arrived before the police because of geography and logistics - the depot is closer than the police station
In my mind, I think the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming that PH is the murderer.
So what is this circumstantial evidence?
Transporting AH from a 'dirty site' to a mortuary could (in your argument did) implant PH's semen in her throat? I find that a quite extraordinary claim. You're clearly an advocate for PH so I do not know why you are on this site trying to debunk every contribution.
I'm an advocate for the truth which considering I have the primary access to the evidence would be ridiculous not to correct misinformation. If you've got it wrong be thankful you're being advised of the facts - surely that's what you're actually looking for?

How would you guess this to be correct? How would you know what Peter did or dodbt think? You don't know this as fact - which it isn't. His friend arrived before the police because of geography and logistics - the depot is closer than the police station

So what is this circumstantial evidence?

I'm an advocate for the truth which considering I have the primary access to the evidence would be ridiculous not to correct misinformation. If you've got it wrong be thankful you're being advised of the facts - surely that's what you're actually looking for?
You can continue to shout us down at every comment we make but you are only one opinion and we are all equal here. If you are so on the inside of this case then you should register as an Insider on this platform.

Last edited:
Is it possible that residual semen on a towel or facecloth could be transferred to someone's else's mouth, if they brushed their teeth then wiped their face with the same material?

On a separate note, would like to know more about the notes..
''After Ann's death someone claiming to be 'The Killer' sent sick letters to her family, the police, and Darlington-based newspaper The Northern Echo.

At the time detectives said publicly that they believed the handwritten notes had come from the killer, and were not a hoax, said Jen.

And last week Benson's ex wife, Ruth Bennet, was shown one of these letters by The Sun newspaper, and confirmed it was his handwriting.''

Last edited:
Is it possible that residual semen on a towel or facecloth could be transferred to someone's else's mouth, if they brushed their teeth then wiped their face with the same material?
How likely is that though in this case? That scenario has never been suggested. And how long would it stay in AH's throat if she was drinking fluids on the hottest day of the year, not least continuously swallowing saliva. It would be as likely as PH having his own semen in his throat from a towel he'd used at home that he'd previously ejaculated on and it being found on autopsy in his throat after he died suddenly. I would find that quite remarkable. She's either taken it in from airborne or oral semen close to the point of death or via some fluke of cross-contamination. It's a strange part of the body to be cross-contaminated, mind. Also, strangely coincidental that so many other PH semen samples were recovered so close to the body.

Last edited:
How likely is that though in this case? That scenario has never been suggested.
Looking for info made for an interesting google search history lol, but fwiw, it may not be likely but it is possible, imo, speculation.

A.M. Lyon & M.M. Sloan
Nov 2013
''The interpretation of trace findings on spermatozoa on clothing is often problematic, as the manner of deposition may not be readily determined. Particularly troublesome are cases involving complainants who are unable to relate a complete history. Small numbers of spermatozoa may be a result of some type of sexual activity or may be due to an unrelated, innocuous incident. Transfer of spermatozoa between items during machine washing has been theorized as one possible method of indirect deposition. This research was undertaken to determine the likelihood of such transfer. A normal machine wash was simulated in three independent experiments. Pristine items of clothing were washed together with one pair of semen-stained panties. After washing, random samples (n=162) from nine unstained items were examined microscopically. Some spermatozoa were detected on all nine previously pristine items included in the wash loads. Three to eight spermatoza were identified in 16% of the samples. One or two spermatozoa were identified in a further 38% of the samples. The original semen-stained panties were also examined following washing. Although there was no visible staining or acid phosphatase activity, significant numbers of spermatozoa were retained in the original stain areas. The analysis and interpretation of these findings is discussed with reference to current DNA methods.''

On a separate note, would like to know more about the notes..
''After Ann's death someone claiming to be 'The Killer' sent sick letters to her family, the police, and Darlington-based newspaper The Northern Echo.

At the time detectives said publicly that they believed the handwritten notes had come from the killer, and were not a hoax, said Jen.

And last week Benson's ex wife, Ruth Bennet, was shown one of these letters by The Sun newspaper, and confirmed it was his handwriting.''
Was Benson's wife a handwriting expert would be my first question? Are there available examples of his handwriting to be compared by an expert? Even then, that Benson may or may not have sent letters doesn't prove that he is/was the murderer. In that respect, we should always be cognisant of Wearside Jack.

Looking for info made for an interesting google search history lol, but fwiw, it may not be likely but it is possible, imo, speculation.

A.M. Lyon & M.M. Sloan
Nov 2013
''The interpretation of trace findings on spermatozoa on clothing is often problematic, as the manner of deposition may not be readily determined. Particularly troublesome are cases involving complainants who are unable to relate a complete history. Small numbers of spermatozoa may be a result of some type of sexual activity or may be due to an unrelated, innocuous incident. Transfer of spermatozoa between items during machine washing has been theorized as one possible method of indirect deposition. This research was undertaken to determine the likelihood of such transfer. A normal machine wash was simulated in three independent experiments. Pristine items of clothing were washed together with one pair of semen-stained panties. After washing, random samples (n=162) from nine unstained items were examined microscopically. Some spermatozoa were detected on all nine previously pristine items included in the wash loads. Three to eight spermatoza were identified in 16% of the samples. One or two spermatozoa were identified in a further 38% of the samples. The original semen-stained panties were also examined following washing. Although there was no visible staining or acid phosphatase activity, significant numbers of spermatozoa were retained in the original stain areas. The analysis and interpretation of these findings is discussed with reference to current DNA methods.''
Interesting. I can accept that. Semen stains often persist on fabrics even after they've been through the washer and the tumbler, as I know from experience. It's the frequently flushed biological environment of the throat that I come back to. Plus the close proximity of so many other semen samples close to the body. Was it 36? I'd like to see some research on survival of semen in the throat and indeed how long semen will survive on a frequently walked upon and cleaned carpet. PH's only explanation for this would be that he had had consensual sex there with AH on a previous occasion or he had masturbated there, which is not impossible but is massively coincidental that it was that very spot where she was murdered.

I've seen nothing to convince me PH has a cast iron alibi. It would have to mean there is time-stamped proof he could produce as to his whereabouts with times like receipts or CCTV when he was not with anyone. Even the witness who phoned Ann could be wrong about the time, unless there is a phone bill to prove it. Personally I think PH's account of the lunch time is lacking in detail of any interaction with Ann. The bus witnesses could have mistaken the day or the time. She might have regularly sunbathed in that spot, if it was where the sun was in the afternoon. Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable.

In the Helen Bailey case one of her friends swore blind she drove past Helen on the way to her hair appointment, on the afternoon when Helen was already dead. She 'knew' it was that day because she always has her hair appointment on the same weekday, and she remembered it was raining because she thought Helen, out walking her dog, would get wet. Fortunately there was CCTV of Helen's husband at the dump, at that exact time, disposing of bedding evidence, showing it was not raining.

I've seen nothing to convince me PH has a cast iron alibi. It would have to mean there is time-stamped proof he could produce as to his whereabouts with times like receipts or CCTV when he was not with anyone. Even the witness who phoned Ann could be wrong about the time, unless there is a phone bill to prove it. Personally I think PH's account of the lunch time is lacking in detail of any interaction with Ann. The bus witnesses could have mistaken the day or the time. She might have regularly sunbathed in that spot, if it was where the sun was in the afternoon. Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable.

In the Helen Bailey case one of her friends swore blind she drove past Helen on the way to her hair appointment, on the afternoon when Helen was already dead. She 'knew' it was that day because she always has her hair appointment on the same weekday, and she remembered it was raining because she thought Helen, out walking her dog, would get wet. Fortunately there was CCTV of Helen's husband at the dump, at that exact time, disposing of bedding evidence, showing it was not raining.
Peter Heron left Ann at 2pm to ho back to the office where colleagues were, he then attended an impromptu meeting where three different people were plus a receptionist. Peter left there and returned to the office where again his colleagues were. On the separate journey Peter Heron was seen by several witnesses that knew him ( not the guy who saw the white car), authorities and friends passing on the road. Peter arrived back at the depot where his colleagues were again and was seen leaving at 5 50pm. Every minute is accounted for and where he was seen Peter could not have travelled any other way. I hope that helps.

A.M. Lyon & M.M. Sloan
Nov 2013
It's worth taking into account that this was a very, very small sample, that was multiplied to analyse, but there was just one not multiple on her. Ann was discovered face down with several thoracic injuries so the concept of cross contamination was very high if there was spermatoza on the carpet.
I'd need to see the evidence and witness statements myself to make an opinion on that.
Sadly that's something that can't happen. Atleast you know the facts though.

It's worth taking into account that this was a very, very small sample, that was multiplied to analyse, but there was just one not multiple on her. Ann was discovered face down with several thoracic injuries so the concept of cross contamination was very high if there was spermatoza on the carpet.

Sadly that's something that can't happen. Atleast you know the facts though.
Well, I don't know the facts, that's my point. I know what is claimed to be fact and I know I have doubts.

Peter Heron left Ann at 2pm to ho back to the office where colleagues were, he then attended an impromptu meeting where three different people were plus a receptionist. Peter left there and returned to the office where again his colleagues werewere. On the separate journey Peter Heron was seen by several witnesses that knew him ( not the guy who saw the white car), authorities and friends passing on the road. Peter arrived back at the depot where his colleagues were again and was seen leaving at 5 50pm. Every minute is accounted for and where he was seen Peter could not have travelled any other way. I hope that helps.
Ms Jarvie, with reference to the sentence I have italicised & underlined above,

Are the statements of these witnesses ( “people who knew him, authorities & friends”) statements given to the police & contained in the police files??

Or is this information you have uncovered during your own investigation?

If the former, did these witnesses come forward after Mr Heron was arrested & charged with murder, and was this why the case was dismissed before the trial?

Thank you.

Ms Jarvie, can you tell us anything more about the crime scene & pathologist’s report on the cause of death?

I’d be interested to know if there is evidence that Mrs Heron died from arterial bleeding or whether it was a slower venous blood loss, or other injuries sustained?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Very good point Tortoise about relying on eyewitness accounts. Biggest single cause of miscarried justice in the US where lots of research has been undertaken on the subject. In one study I recall reading, where participants were shown photographs of a white car, 12% later recalled that the car was blue. And that was without a significant passage of time.

FWIW, speculation.
This case has just been solved after 30 years of suspicion fell on the husband who happened to come home just 45 minutes after his wife was murdered. The perp turned out to be a creep who lived several miles from the victim and had previously committed a rape.

Nov 12 2022
''In February 1987, Terry Wood came home from a night of bowling to discover his wife, Roxanne, dead on the kitchen floor in their home in Niles, Michigan. Detectives say Roxanne Wood had been sexually assaulted and her throat slashed.''

Something else that occurred to me: The murder weapon was believed to have been a Stanley knife or razor blade. Box cutters (such as Stanley knives) are fairly standard tools in the haulage industry so there would be a ready source of such an implement at Stiller Transport where PH was operations director. They would presumably use that many that one missing wouldn't be noticed.

@shadwell Thank you for putting together the above information. On re-reading once again, 2 points stand out to me.

Firstly, from the interview given by Anne Heron’s biological daughter to the Northern Echo

Ann Heron Murder: 'After all this pain we deserve closure' - daughter's appeal in room mother was found dead

“Unusually her mother had been trying to get in touch with her father in the weeks previously and Ms Cockburn says she felt "something wasn't right," with her mum in that period”

which is interesting. Obviously we’ll never know why AH had been trying to contact her ex-husband but makes me wonder…..

Secondly, from the article in the Northern Echo on 13th Feb 2008

PH’s daughter Mrs Simpson describes her father finding Anne’s body….
“He bent down and touched her and there was blood on his fingertips. He ran to the phone and dialled 999 and then called Paul Stiller.”

Also the first policeman on the scene describes…..
“the body lying facedown in a pool of blood in the otherwise perfectly tidy room.”

My point being, that the blood was quite localised, under the body….the rest of the room appeared normal. Which doesn’t sound to me like an arterial bleed, so the killer wouldn’t necessarily have been covered in blood.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helangel
Back