UK UK - Ann Heron, 44, found at home with throat cut, Darlington, 3 August 1990

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi,
Thank you for your interest. The house was not broken into. However, this does not indicate it being someone Ann Heron knew, merely that there was not a broken door, window etc. It is more plausible that it was a random and opportunist attack as the connection with the blue car seen speeding from the drive (that was not the lover's husband) was no one they actually knew/ could identify as knowing. The point made about the dog barking was ludicrous - how would anyone actually know if it bared or not? The house was isolated so a dog could have barked and there was noone to actually hear. The family collie was traumatised after the attack but this, sadly could have been due to it being threatened or beaten - unfortunately, we will never actually know.
The last know sighting of Ann alive was 15.25 from the observer on the bus, however, this is a dubious sighting. The last known interaction was at 14.40 with her friend on the phone.

The movements mentioned were taken from a cumulation of sources from the statements. There was nothing sinister about the repositioning due to the tractor.
Hope this clarifies things.
Thank you for replying.

The mention of the dog not barking by the police is definitely an odd statement, particularly as they don't appear to have any evidence to back it up.

On the second point about Ann having to move to the front of the house to sunbathe, nearer the road, because a tractor nearby had been blowing grass towards the back garden. Why is the sighting from the bus considered dubious? Also, do you know why the police stated the time of this sighting was around 3.30pm, yet PH's daughter said it was at 2pm?

Finally, on the subject of PH's route after the meeting to his office in Middleton St. George via the village of Croft-on-Tees. I have followed this route on google maps and it is mostly countryside, i would imagine that traffic is fairly light on these roads so i am struggling to understand how there can be any witnesses to support his account that he had driven that way home that afternoon.

You have stated previously that PH had witnesses that afternoon to prove where he was between 2 - 6pm, how many witnesses were there to confirm his route back to the office between 4.30 - 5pm?

TIA

@shadwell Thank you for putting together the above information. On re-reading once again, 2 points stand out to me.

Firstly, from the interview given by Anne Heron’s biological daughter to the Northern Echo

Ann Heron Murder: 'After all this pain we deserve closure' - daughter's appeal in room mother was found dead

“Unusually her mother had been trying to get in touch with her father in the weeks previously and Ms Cockburn says she felt "something wasn't right," with her mum in that period”

which is interesting. Obviously we’ll never know why AH had been trying to contact her ex-husband but makes me wonder…..

Secondly, from the article in the Northern Echo on 13th Feb 2008

PH’s daughter Mrs Simpson describes her father finding Anne’s body….
“He bent down and touched her and there was blood on his fingertips. He ran to the phone and dialled 999 and then called Paul Stiller.”

Also the first policeman on the scene describes…..
“the body lying facedown in a pool of blood in the otherwise perfectly tidy room.”

My point being, that the blood was quite localised, under the body….the rest of the room appeared normal. Which doesn’t sound to me like an arterial bleed, so the killer wouldn’t necessarily have been covered in blood.
"An otherwise tidy room"? The killer was careful not to mess the place up. That seems like unusual care taken not to damage property. Why would a murderer, who was in the act of committing such a heinous crime, be so considerate to the Heron's home and contents? It's almost like the murderer was treating it like his own.

I also wonder about bloody footprints or drips leading away from the room. PH doesn't report seeing anything suspicious like blood trails or swipes, as he entered the house, so I'm not sure the murderer was covered in blood. Although he did contaminate the scene rather, by touching the blood and then calling his friend and asking him also to go in and effectively contaminate the scene.

I also wonder about bloody footprints or drips leading away from the room. PH doesn't report seeing anything suspicious like blood trails or swipes, as he entered the house, so I'm not sure the murderer was covered in blood. Although he did contaminate the scene rather, by touching the blood and then calling his friend and asking him also to go in and effectively contaminate the scene.
And it never crossed PH's mind that his wife might have just been murdered before he arrived home and the murderer might still be in the house. He even sent his friend in alone before the police arrived. That's what gets me. If I came upon a recently created murder scene I'd be thinking could I be next.

And it never crossed PH's mind that his wife might have just been murdered before he arrived home and the murderer might still be in the house. He even sent his friend in alone before the police arrived. That's what gets me. If I came upon a recently created murder scene I'd be thinking could I be next.
Yes especially as the blood was still wet, I'd be thinking this just happened, the killer can't be far away, I might have disturbed him and he's hiding behind a door in the house, or upstairs.

It reminds me a bit of Billie-Jo Jenkins murder, where the adoptive father went out in his car, taking an unlikely route that circled back past the house and then to a shop, without his wallet, came back and discovered her dead on the patio, moved her and got blood on himself, and then went and sat back in his car.

One further thought, and I don't profess to be an expert in this area: The day of the murder was a hot sunny day. AH was sunbathing as we know. Exposure to strong sunlight after even momentary eye closure, which you might do in direct sunlight, can result in 'white balance', as your eyes readjust which results in a blue effect as the blue part of the spectrum is marginally quicker so is reported to the brain first (DON'T test this by looking directly at the Sun then looking at a white car; there's plenty published on this effect). Was the car seen speeding away from the house blue, as was widely reported at the time, or was it in fact white? Taking the blue car out of the equation and replacing it with a white car would be highly significant. One witness said that they saw PH in his white car driving erratically at a roundabout near the house around the time of the murder.
The car leaving the drive was definitely blue. I hear what you're saying about light distortion but all the witnesses corroborate dark blue.

The car leaving the drive was definitely blue. I hear what you're saying about light distortion but all the witnesses corroborate dark blue.
That's if the eye witness accounts can be accepted as fact. Only then could it be maintained that the car "was definitely blue". Eye witness accounts have a long history in miscarriages of justice.

That's if the eye witness accounts can be accepted as fact. Only then could it be maintained that the car "was definitely blue". Eye witness accounts have a long history in miscarriages of justice.
Truth. I’ve just finished reading Kate Kyriacou’s excellent book on the hunt for Daniel Morcombe’s killer (having seen The Stranger, the film based on it). Lots of eye witnesses mentioned a certain colour and type of car, which turned out to have nothing to do with the abduction.

Thanks for your observations about light distortion. That’s something I didn’t know but I won’t forget!

Peter asked his boss to check if what he had seen was correct. Don't forget he was in shock and it was never a consideration that they were still there.
Was Benson's wife a handwriting expert would be my first question? Are there available examples of his handwriting to be compared by an expert? Even then, that Benson may or may not have sent letters doesn't prove that he is/was the murderer. In that respect, we should always be cognisant of Wearside Jack.
No she is the. However a handwriting expert has examined the letters and there are pointers towards someone who knew Benson.
Thank you for replying.

The mention of the dog not barking by the police is definitely an odd statement, particularly as they don't appear to have any evidence to back it up.

On the second point about Ann having to move to the front of the house to sunbathe, nearer the road, because a tractor nearby had been blowing grass towards the back garden. Why is the sighting from the bus considered dubious? Also, do you know why the police stated the time of this sighting was around 3.30pm, yet PH's daughter said it was at 2pm?

Finally, on the subject of PH's route after the meeting to his office in Middleton St. George via the village of Croft-on-Tees. I have followed this route on google maps and it is mostly countryside, i would imagine that traffic is fairly light on these roads so i am struggling to understand how there can be any witnesses to support his account that he had driven that way home that afternoon.

You have stated previously that PH had witnesses that afternoon to prove where he was between 2 - 6pm, how many witnesses were there to confirm his route back to the office between 4.30 - 5pm?

TIA
There were a lot of misquoted in the case. I can confirm 15.25 was the yime of the last sighting from the bus. The doubts are that from the road it would be difficult to see such accuracy that was not printed in the papers in the subsequent days following the murder.
The route is fairly rural but there are sightings all along the journey and in the village also. Obviously I cannot hive specifics but there are 10 people that can account for his movements that afternoon.
True but all the accounts tally, non deviate from the description.

I forgot to mention that the blue vehicle was also seen at the house as well as leaving

23rd February 2008
''The witness, who does not wish to be named, was driving from Middleton St George to Darlington at about 4.15pm on August 3, 1990 - less than 45 minutes before Mrs Heron's estimated time of death.

As he neared Aeolian House, the scene of the murder, he noticed a car coming towards him.

He believes Mrs Heron was driving the vehicle, which was indicating to turn in to the house.

"I knew her because I was friendly with her daughter and I worked in haulage like her husband,"

said the witness.

"I flashed my lights at her and she waved back at me.

"I am adamant, 100 per cent certain, that it was her."

"As we passed, I said to my mate Ann must have friends or relatives down from Scotland for the weekend' because there were people in the car - one in the passenger seat with his hands on the dashboard, and the other in the back seat," said the witness, who was driving an HGV.

"We were 12ft up in the air in the cab, looking down, and on the parcel shelf was a distinctive object."

The witness, who gave a statement to the police in 1990, believes the object was a "trademark"

carried by a man well known in Darlington's nightclub scene.

"It's been niggling with me ever since, which is why I have come forward now," said the witness.''

Peter asked his boss to check if what he had seen was correct. Don't forget he was in shock and it was never a consideration that they were still there.

No she is the. However a handwriting expert has examined the letters and there are pointers towards someone who knew Benson.

There were a lot of misquoted in the case. I can confirm 15.25 was the yime of the last sighting from the bus. The doubts are that from the road it would be difficult to see such accuracy that was not printed in the papers in the subsequent days following the murder.
The route is fairly rural but there are sightings all along the journey and in the village also. Obviously I cannot hive specifics but there are 10 people that can account for his movements that afternoon.

True but all the accounts tally, non deviate from the description.
I understand that you cannot be specific about witness statements but when you say that 10 people can account for PH's movements that afternoon are you referring to the 2pm - 6pm timeslot or are there 10 witnesses that saw him driving along the route from Cleveland Bridge to Middleton St George via Croft village between 4.30 - 5.00?

Thanks again.

In my mind, I think the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming that PH is the murderer.

What was the motive? For the murder but also for the sexual assault. Seems odd for a husband to do that to his wife that he is trying to get rid of .

What was the motive? For the murder but also for the sexual assault. Seems odd for a husband to do that to his wife that he is trying to get rid of .
Perhaps he didn't want to let her walk away with half of everything. Partners have killed for a lot less.

Hi Jen,

I know you took part in the TV documentary and are close to this case, so i hope you don't mind if you could answer a couple of questions for me please:

1. In the documentary the police stated that there was no sign of a struggle or forced entry, indicating she may have known her killer. The family dog had not been heard to bark to signal an intruder.

Where did the police get this information from about the dog not barking? The house is quite isolated so who was near enough to give that statement to the police?

2. Her husband went back to work at 2pm. Half an hour later, Ann spoke to a friend on the phone and seemed in good spirits. She was spotted sunbathing at 3.30pm at the front of the house where she had moved to avoid grass being blown into the back from a nearby tractor. It was the last known sighting of Ann alive.

Again, where did the information come from about Ann moving from the back of the house to the front to avoid grass being blown into the back from a nearby tractor? The only person we know who actually saw Ann after 2pm was the person who was on the bus who spotted her at 3.30pm, but they wouldn't have known about either Ann sunbathing at the back of the house or about the grass being blown into the back garden.

In the documentary the police mentioned both the dog not barking and Ann moving from the back to the front of the house, but they gave no explanation as to where they got the information from.

Hope you can help - thank you.
The change of location was not a one off thing but as the lounger was at the front of the house and the witness had seen her from the bus it was correctly assumed that was why she moved.
The comment made about the dog was misguided. The house was so isolated that noone would have heard her bark so it is an unknown. Afterwards Heidi who was a very gentle dog was very nervous of anyone, especially strangers.

Perhaps. But would there be a sexual element of that? My guess is that husband-kills-wife-to-separate murders rarely include a sexual element. But maybe I'm wrong?

I have the impression that sex was very important to PH.

In the documentary he brags about flirting & making overtly crude comments to the barmaid.

He‘d had & was having an extra-marital affair at the time of Anne’s murder.

His sperm was found all over the living room carpet & furniture!!

We’ve heard Anne was unhappy about something. Perhaps she was unhappy with her husband. Perhaps she’d found out about his affair & was considering leaving.

Perhaps that day, she had turned down his advances
&
perhaps her husband was angered by being denied what he felt was rightfully his…..

All supposition of course, but to me it seems a much more likely than murder by a passing stranger.

And remember….on 2nd August 2021, a spokesperson from Durham Constabulary made the following statement

“The murder of Ann Heron has been thoroughly investigated and subject to constant review over the last 31 years, including the use of new investigative techniques with the advancement of forensic technology.

“It is still the ambition of Durham Constabulary to convict the person responsible for Ann’s murder.

At this time there is no new evidence that identifies new suspects, but we remain openminded.”

Last edited:
I have the impression that sex was very important to PH.

In the documentary he brags about flirting & making overtly crude comments to the barmaid.

He‘d had & was having an extra-marital affair at the time of Anne’s murder.

His sperm was found all over the living room carpet & furniture!!

We’ve heard Anne was unhappy about something. Perhaps she was unhappy with her husband. Perhaps she’d found out about his affair & was considering leaving.

Perhaps that day, she had turned down his advances
&
perhaps her husband was angered by being denied what he felt was rightfully his…..

All supposition of course, but to me it seems a much more likely than murder by a passing stranger.

And remember….on 2nd August 2021, a spokesperson from Durham Constabulary made the following statement

“The murder of Ann Heron has been thoroughly investigated and subject to constant review over the last 31 years, including the use of new investigative techniques with the advancement of forensic technology.

“It is still the ambition of Durham Constabulary to convict the person responsible for Ann’s murder.

At this time there is no new evidence that identifies new suspects, but we remain openminded.”

I agree 100% with your views.

I think it's absurd to say, and to be able to say, (as the article does) that PH has been proven not guilty, and to be able to make claims that a person who is no longer alive to stand trial is a suspect. Only police have the authority to proclaim anyone a suspect in a murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadWiring
Back