UK UK - Anthony Knott, 33, last seen at a pub in Lewes, Sussex, 20 Dec 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
there are so many people out doing searches and coordinating via groups.....hes sure to have been found if he's out in the open somewhere

i suppose as water levels subside another search will be required, but hundreds of people are out there looking all over this small town

never been to Lewes before, it looks a nice little town

The search for a missing firefighter is returning to "a dangerous area" which flooded around an outdoor swimming pool.

Search for missing firefighter continues
From your link:

He said the search would continue to focus on "the vicinity of the Pells which is the direction he was last seen walking when he left the pub".

"But obviously there is now additional CCTV that shows him heading in a different direction, slightly later on."

The Pells is not what I would call dangerous (normally shallow), even when flooded. The river can be dangerous but he could not have got near the river via the Pells as the pavement was under water. He was some distance from it in the last CCTV footage. Perhaps the police have additional info which is why they are there again.

The Pells is not what I would call dangerous (normally shallow), even when flooded. The river can be dangerous but he could not have got near the river via the Pells as the pavement was under water. He was some distance from it in the last CCTV footage. Perhaps the police have additional info which is why they are there again.

Maybe just because i live in London and i know i can't sneeze without it being caught on CCTV but looking on google maps at the 19:41 footage of market street he is heading onto the high street on what looks like the hardest place to vanish without being seen. Right turn down Market lane however looks like a collection of alleys and gated dead ends. Maybe a local can put me right as google maps is not always the best indicator. Goes without saying they have been searched thoroughly of course :confused:

Just caught up on this thread and just wanted to add something

I run a bar which is slightly away from main bar/restaurant area and stands on it's own with nothing around for about 5-10.min walk.
The most common reason people leave is to go and buy cigarettes, I constantly get asked where the nearest shop is and quite often after explaining the way watch them head off in totally the wrong direction to what I have just told them.
It's very easy to get disoriented in a place you don't know.
Is there any shops near the way he is seen headed?

when everyone is back to work and buildings are re opened after the christmas /new year break, maybe then he will be found.

to be honest,I'm now beginning to wonder if he's met someone and gone off with them. a car is most reasonable explanation with the lack of cctv sightings. either planned, semi planned or been taken. but who 'takes' a fully grown man unless its another for reasons unknown

I followed google maps in the direction he was heading when walking past the barbers, and found out there is a cash machine and also a signpost which shows the way to the railway station.

In my opinion, I think he lost his friends, went to the nearby pubs to check if they were there, couldn't find them so he was trying to find a way home from the station.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 13.24.52.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 13.24.52.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 44
I followed google maps in the direction he was heading when walking past the barbers, and found out there is a cash machine and also a signpost which shows the way to the railway station.

In my opinion, I think he lost his friends, went to the nearby pubs to check if they were there, couldn't find them so he was trying to find a way home from the station.
That is also my feeling, so what happened next? IMO his data running until 7.21 and it being in his pocket suggests his phone battery died, rather than deliberately turning it off. There are hints on SM that they have more potential (but not good enough to confirm) sightings on CCTV.
As an aside, he walks like my youngest on tip toes according to police post (although they said balls of feet), which gives the bouncy walk, legs kicking out slightly to the side walk we see on the E&C footage- I recognise it, I’m not sure others would though. It also makes her slightly off balance and prone to trip, the too close passing at the zebra crossing is one of the things she would typically do as she walks (not through misjudgement or interaction, purely through the amount of space she uses on a pavement as she walks).

Certainly wouldn't plan to disappear on a night out but with copious amounts of alcohol consumed, a known depressant, coupled with a loud group of overly happy or confident guys, may be enough to push someone with an already existing fragile mind to an irrational decision.

All speculation of course but as a man who has had my own battles of the mind and quite the introvert i know that i would probably either drink more to fit in or be overwhelmed and try to exit the situation.
JMO

Completely agree. I tend to think this is what happened.

"He was spotted on CCTV shortly after his mobile phone was last active at 7.20pm on Friday and it has been off since 1am on Saturday, while his bank card hasn’t been used."

First time I've seen that said
His fiancee has corrected that - she said the police have confirmed the phone went off at 7:21pm and she doesn't know where the papers are getting the 1am info from, but it's wrong.

She posted on Facebook earlier today: "A few of the facts and times have been misunderstood, facts are: He left THE LAMB OF LEWES PUB at 19.16.

"His phone died/switched off at 19.21.

"His phone has NOT been back on since and his bank cards have NOT been used.

Missing firefighter in new CCTV sighting on night of disappearance

I went the other way this morning via google maps and noticed very quickly after E&C it is obvious you have left the town and shops, but couldn’t find any signs to the station on my walk back from there to the barbers.

The so called dangerous flooding remarks in the press start to get on my nerves a little bit....In 2000 there was serious dangerous flooding, when the whole town was hit. Not now.....as far I can understand from all the sites about measurements, alarms and the like.

Imo and purely speculation but I'm starting to veer away from the water outcome now.

Locals feel free to correct me on any of the below, but my thought are:

For all intents and purposes the flooded areas were not dangerously deep and a way out of town.

The river while fast flowing, only had possibly 2 points of entry, one of which is over a wall outside a pub so doubt it was isolated on the last Friday before Xmas.

Having seen a picture of a path by the river there it surprised me how well lit it was at night, it didn't look like the sort of place you could accidentally walk into.

He was also a trained freighter and so well versed in the dangers of strong currents etc and would be unlikely to 'chance it ' across the water even if he was drunk.

I went the other way this morning via google maps and noticed very quickly after E&C it is obvious you have left the town and shops, but couldn’t find any signs to the station on my walk back from there to the barbers.
The funny thing is, if you carry on walking past the E&C on the side of the road he was on, the pavement runs out just after the mini roundabout at offham Road, and you have to cross over to the other side of the road so as not to be walking in the road. But he is still on that side of the road when he returns, which I wouldn't think he would be if he'd had to cross over already.

That makes me think he didn't go down Offham Road, yet we know he was out of view for 18 minutes.

Det Insp Gillings said: "Anthony walks on the balls of his feet which makes it looks as though he is bouncing along."

He also said he could be seen rubbing his hands in the newly-released CCTV footage.

"We can see him doing [this] within the pub itself earlier in the evening," he added.
This is taken from here BBC news https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-sussex-50948292
I know what this statement implies without saying- not sure what impact it has on his decision making. The worrying thing is, he may not ask for directions, help when needed. Purely speculation based on my job and first hand experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper