UK UK - Anthony Knott, 33, last seen at a pub in Lewes, Sussex, 20 Dec 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although he had been drinking, he would have had a reason for leaving the pub and heading to wherever it is that he went. I don’t think he has left the pub to simply make a call in private (by going outside where there is less noise), or to look for an ATM or go for some food. I think he had a specific reason for leaving. Am I right in thinking that the Police will have tried to retrieve data from his number such as last calls, messages and whether or not he accessed any websites from his phone that night before he left the pub.

Could he have been walking all over looking for a taxi rank? I do sometimes slip away from friends on a night out without saying bye so I can understand that. And then I'd be trying to get myself a taxi . If he's not too familiar with this area was he may be walking round to try and find a taxi? I've also walked long distances home when drunk and unable to get a taxi!! How far is his home from this area?

Edit to add and my assumption re phone is that it ran out of battery.

His home is about 50-60 miles away so doubt he'd have tried to walk it. If I were him I would have tried to get a train then if I found out they were being cancelled because of the weather I'd head to the local fire station to sit in the warm and dry to try and work out what to do next.

I think if he was doing any of those things which @Coach has mentioned, i think he would of told someone. Like, asking if anybody wanted food or even telling them I'm going out for some more money or a call. I know people leave without saying anything a lot of the times, but I just find it odd.

Google maps shows it is a 5 minute walk from Fisher Street to Lewes railway station.

The next three timetabled trains from Lewes to East Croydon are at 19:21, 19:46, 20:21.

I wonder if his use of his phone was to check the train times and he didn't use it to check maps - a/ because he thought he knew the way (which would be to continue straight south from the pub) and b/ because the route he took was the direct opposite of that.

In that research/report I shared, one missing person was found in another area having made their way there so its possible...

So there are 4 confirmed sightings of him according to his fiancée. His last text was to a colleague at 7.20, then his phone was off. The sightings place this call at Elephant and Castle pub, which is where Lucy said the group were heading next. He was a smoker. IMO he left pub for a smoke and perhaps couldn’t see his mates when he went back into the lamb, headed to the next pub thinking they had already left, couldn’t see them and text them, hung about a bit waiting and then decided to walk back to find them- perhaps judging by final sighting a junction too early to get back to the pub and fits timings wise. This to me all seems pretty standard and plausible, even down to switching his phone off (which he may have been doing all day to save charge, if out all day very few phones keep charge without being switched off). Nothing at this moment seems odd, they really need some more CCTV or witnesses.
Edited to add confirmation via news article (apart from the smoking part, which was via his partners SM confirmation)
Plea issued for CCTV as missing Anthony Knott's last known footsteps retraced

Last edited:
So there are 4 confirmed sightings of him according to his fiancée. His last text was to a colleague at 7.20, then his phone was off. The sightings place this call at Elephant and Castle pub, which is where Lucy said the group were heading next. He was a smoker. IMO he left pub for a smoke and perhaps couldn’t see his mates when he went back into the lamb, headed to the next pub thinking they had already left, couldn’t see them and text them, hung about a bit waiting and then decided to walk back to find them- perhaps judging by final sighting a junction too early to get back to the pub and fits timings wise. This to me all seems pretty standard and plausible, even down to switching his phone off (which he may have been doing all day to save charge, if out all day very few phones keep charge without being switched off). Nothing at this moment seems odd, they really need some more CCTV or witnesses.
If they were doing all the real ale pubs in Lewes , (I am local) and he was not expected home until 2 a.m, maybe he was trying to find the next pub eg the John Harvey Tavern. It is on the river but over the bridge and he may have got lost. Starting at the top of the hill and working your way down seems a plan for a pub crawl. It is so easy to go wrong as the narrow streets are like a rabbit warren.

Don’t nearly all pubs take card payments these days? I think going out to an atm is unlikely.
I prefer cash if I'm having a few drinks as it's easier to keep a track of what you're spending. I'd definitely go to an ATM instead of paying with a card on a night out if it wasn't too inconvenient.

Not sure it's the most likely reason though, just because it's something I would do.

If that is Anthony in the latest garage CCTV then it is a remarkable coincidence that a London fireman on a visit to an entirely different town for a group of firefighters' Christmas drinks do leaves the pub and his last known sighting via CCTV is outside a Fire Station.
And i am usually wary of remarkable coincidences.
That being said i unfortunately lean towards the usual, statistically, of the drunk man stumbling upon water or rough terrain somehow.
I hope Lucy and the rest are managing to cope because after a week i am struggling to be positive on an outcome

If that is Anthony in the latest garage CCTV then it is a remarkable coincidence that a London fireman on a visit to an entirely different town for a group of firefighters' Christmas drinks do leaves the pub and his last known sighting via CCTV is outside a Fire Station.
And i am usually wary of remarkable coincidences.
That being said i unfortunately lean towards the usual, statistically, of the drunk man stumbling upon water or rough terrain somehow.
I hope Lucy and the rest are managing to cope because after a week i am struggling to be positive on an outcome
The footage isn’t from the fire station, there is no footage confirmed of him anywhere near the fire station at the moment, and I agree would be odd behaviour to head there just because he works elsewhere as a fireman.

Gosh those are hard ones to make out. I'm more positive that the garage sightings are him than these to be honest, but the police must be convinced if they've positively identified him.
I’m guessing they have zoomed in, lightened it etc and are certain (they may also have other cctv from different angles at the same spot that confirm it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member