Deceased/Not Found UK - April Jones, 5, Machynlleth, Wales, 1 Oct 2012 #3 *M. Bridger guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks

Thanks, same picture same position, one report says taken at 1.45 the other report saying 2.30

Is this place close to where the Edwards ex neighbours spotted him walking on a cycle lane at around 2.15 to 2.30? just trying to tidy up the times/locations.

Thanks

Thanks, same picture same position, one report says taken at 1.45 the other report saying 2.30

Is this place close to where the Edwards ex neighbours spotted him walking on a cycle lane at around 2.15 to 2.30? just trying to tidy up the times/locations.

This is the south side of the Dyfi Bridge and only maybe 30 yards at the very most from it. He's walking towards the bridge.

The Edwards reported seeing him on the North side of the bridge around 200 yards along from the bridge, walking towards Machynlleth

This is the south side of the Dyfi Bridge and only maybe 30 yards at the very most from it. He's walking towards the bridge.

The Edwards reported seeing him on the North side of the bridge around 200 yards along from the bridge.

Thank you.

Interesting point. I just looked at an article on 'line-ups' to see what % of witnesses picked the right person when faced with a selection. The process of choosing the people to be in a line-up is very precise and those chosen can definitely change the outcome of the results (apparently). So, when asking a 7 year old witness to describe a vehicle possibly from a 'line-up' of images, I do hope they followed the exact same procedures as they would have for a person. Anyone know how this might be done fairly?

Edit: So, for example, if the police have already heard that MB was driving his vehicle in the neighbourhood, showing the child a dozen images of similar cars to his, may result in the one she was most familiar with being picked. As opposed to a dozen images of completely different cars that all have a low front and a high back in varying shades of grey to choose from.

From the experience I had with my son, I can confirm they are VERY VERY careful with this as they must not lead the child witness... For example, depending on the childs IQ, they would say put a lot of shapes to start with a bit like a jigsaw, so the child makes up the pic of what he saw himself....then would be asked to add things like colours, tyres, all sorts of things...hope this helps.

Interesting point. I just looked at an article on 'line-ups' to see what % of witnesses picked the right person when faced with a selection. The process of choosing the people to be in a line-up is very precise and those chosen can definitely change the outcome of the results (apparently). So, when asking a 7 year old witness to describe a vehicle possibly from a 'line-up' of images, I do hope they followed the exact same procedures as they would have for a person. Anyone know how this might be done fairly?

Edit: So, for example, if the police have already heard that MB was driving his vehicle in the neighbourhood, showing the child a dozen images of similar cars to his, may result in the one she was most familiar with being picked. As opposed to a dozen images of completely different cars that all have a low front and a high back in varying shades of grey to choose from.

That would be deliberately leading a witness. I don't think they would do that because surely the most urgent effort in the first days was concentrated on finding April and bringing her home safe and well. They would be genuinely trying to find out whose vehicle she got into, not trying to stitch someone up.

From the experience I had with my son, I can confirm they are VERY VERY careful with this as they must not lead the child witness... For example, depending on the childs IQ, they would say put a lot of shapes to start with a bit like a jigsaw, so the child makes up the pic of what he saw himself....then would be asked to add things like colours, tyres, all sorts of things...hope this helps.

It really does help. Thank you! :)

Some pages ago there was discussion around the fact that MB would have been subjected to CRB checks in order to work as a lifeguard at the Leisure Centre.

He (Glen Lewis) added: ''I know Mark vaguely. I think he came to Machynlleth about 15 years ago when the leisure centre opened and he was one of the lifeguards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...daughters-of-Mark-Bridger-say-neighbours.html

Railwayman Glen Lewis, 50, remembers him moving to the town to work as a lifeguard 15 years ago around the time the leisure centre was built.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-search-help-missing-April.html#ixzz28zxtz6v3

This suggests that MB's stint as a lifeguard was not recent. IIRC CRB checks started in 2002. If it was 15 years ago or more that MB worked as a Lifeguard that means around 1997. So CRB checks wouldn't have been done.

Mr Lewis's recollection of 15 years ago might not be accurate. Does anyone know when the Leisure Centre was built? TIA

That would be deliberately leading a witness. I don't think they would do that because surely the most urgent effort in the first days was concentrated on finding April and bringing her home safe and well. They would be genuinely trying to find out whose vehicle she got into, not trying to stitch someone up.

Thank you for clarifying. It just all seemed to happen so quickly and with confusion about the vehicle...and announcing/ showing images of one that was different to the original description that I couldn't help but wonder what the process was. :)

Thank you for explaining the term, it helps. Even though I sort of figured it out, it's nice to have it confirmed.
I don't know about other U.S. peeps, but I tend to read a lot of these posts with a British accent running through my head. And I love some of the words used.
But I do agree, I don't think LE is "fitting him up", why would they? LE seems to be even tighter with holding back information than our LE here in the U.S. and that may be a good thing.

I'm in Texas also and I'm laughing at this because I most definitely am reading these with an accent. My two sons (9 & 12) have recently been cast in a local youth theater production of Macbeth. It doesn't go up until February, but I took them to their diction & dialect coaching this week.

You should hear all these young Texans trying to speak Scottish, and other UK accents. They got the help of UK natives who are now locals. I was charmed when the Scot woman said, "I haven't got an accent."

So, yes, I've given y'all the proper accents in my head.

So very sorry for the circumstances, but I always find international crimes to be such valuable learning experiences. Following true crimes has taught me much about culture, colloquialisms, foreign customs and laws. It's cold comfort, but there it is.

:eek:fftopic:
I've given y'all the proper accents in my head.

Well, you may deduce from the name that I come from near Oxford ... but the question is, do I speak with a posh "Oxford University" accent (RP) or do I sound like Pam Ayres :giggle:

Some pages ago there was discussion around the fact that MB would have been subjected to CRB checks in order to work as a lifeguard at the Leisure Centre.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...daughters-of-Mark-Bridger-say-neighbours.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-search-help-missing-April.html#ixzz28zxtz6v3

This suggests that MB's stint as a lifeguard was not recent. IIRC CRB checks started in 2002. If it was 15 years ago or more that MB worked as a Lifeguard that means around 1997. So CRB checks wouldn't have been done.

Mr Lewis's recollection of 15 years ago might not be accurate. Does anyone know when the Leisure Centre was built? TIA

Hes been there over 22 years, not 15. Re the crb checks, even if it was before they were introduced I would imagine the council would have asked police if he had a record, similar with teachers, bank workers etc. Only guessing though, because I cant imagine noones records were checked out before 2002

Powys (formerly Montgomeryshire) - although everything north of the Dyfi (including Ceinws) is in Gwynedd.

Although if you are wanting to look up BMD entries, it's the registration district that you need, which can be in a different county. Birth and death registrations are not always where you expect them to be, either!

Re the crb checks, even if it was before they were introduced I would imagine the council would have asked police if he had a record, similar with teachers, bank workers etc.

I wouldn't be so sure. Even with teachers, the police were never contacted before the introduction of the CRB system. The only mechanism was for the employer to ask the Department for Education if the teacher was on "List 99", which is a list of those barred from working with children by the Secretary of State. To this day there are some people on the Sex Offenders' Register who were never put on List 99 - it was not a very watertight system.

I doubt if there was anything at all for Lifeguards back then, just as there was nothing to stop people giving individual tuition to pupils in their homes.

I was very struck by the power of the River Dulas (which runs behind MB's cottage) in that video. Even though it is only a tributary of the Dyfi, it is quite a torrent.

I still feel it likely that poor AJ ended up in the water, and that MB then followed the Dulas down to the Dyfi bridge to make sure that no evidence had been caught on rocks or branches on the way - hence the waterproof trousers, just in case it had.

I was very struck by the power of the River Dulas (which runs behind MB's cottage) in that video. Even though it is only a tributary of the Dyfi, it is quite a torrent.

I still feel it likely that poor AJ ended up in the water, and that he then followed the Dulas down to the Dyfi bridge to make sure that no evidence had been caught on rocks or branches on the way - hence the waterproof trousers, just in case it had.

What significance are the waterproof trousers? Are you thinking that he was going to use these to go in to the water?

April's parents visit search headquarters

The parents of April Jones have met with officers searching for their daughter's body to thank them for their efforts, according to Machynlleth police.

Superintendent Ian John said his team's commitment to finding April remains high. He said:

I have spent time today speaking with the various search teams and one thing that shone through was their on-going commitment to find April and their motivation. We have to make people take time off to rest between their allocated shifts.

The Coastguard is searching the river from Borth to Towyn every day and the underwater search teams are at the estuary daily. We are all working through a detailed search plan.

April’s parents visited the base of the search teams yesterday and met some of the people who are involved in the search for their daughter. They are extremely grateful for all of the work that is being undertaken.

Although volunteers are no longer able to assist us with the search, they are providing a catering service for search teams, which is very gratefully received.

One thing is clear; we will continue to search while we still have viable lines of enquiry

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2012-10-07/mark-bridger-april-jones-aberystwyth-machynlleth/

Ref The Telegraph's report; April Jones: Kidnap suspect Mark Bridger 'was weapons collector’

As mentioned in this report (sorry you'll have to google it - I'm not a computer buff!)

MB has a firearms licence for his rifle, ok nothing strange in that it's a rural area etc, but when you have a suspect with a rifle & access to shotguns (his hobby is clay pigeon shooting)
Maybe that puts a different perspective on things - especially in light of the recent spate of UK murders by shooting' or maybe a gun is the evidence?

Just a thought & my own opinion

Ref The Telegraph's report; April Jones: Kidnap suspect Mark Bridger 'was weapons collector’

As mentioned in this report (sorry you'll have to google it - I'm not a computer buff!)

MB has a firearms licence for his rifle, ok nothing strange in that it's a rural area etc, but when you have a suspect with a rifle & access to shotguns (his hobby is clay pigeon shooting)
Maybe that puts a different perspective on things - especially in light of the recent spate of UK murders by shooting' or maybe a gun is the evidence?

Just a thought & my own opinion

I doubt it. I think we may have heard a lot more about it if that was an angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214