Found Deceased UK - Caroline Everest, 18, Sheffield, 22 Nov 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just for info as I've been reading about Porter Brook (and it is a brook rather than some big river, it's been raining loads so possibly fuller/faster than normal). It flows west to east, so Caroline could have entered the water even further upstream, further away from the club. Before it reaches Summerfield Street it flows through two parks. Glad they found her when they did because a little further downstream the brook goes underground for quite a long way. I still don't get what on earth she'd have been doing there voluntarily and I'm fearing foul play.

Awful news :(

I've updated the map

I don't quite understand, opposite direction from home, and an odd place to be found. How was she found at 3.45am? Member of the public? Maybe she wandered in the wrong direction, or went to someone elses home.

RIP Caroline :rose:
She's only been at Uni since September so may not be familiar with that area yet, combine that with possibly having a couple of drinks and she may have become disorientated and thought she was going the right way.

Just for info as I've been reading about Porter Brook (and it is a brook rather than some big river, it's been raining loads so possibly fuller/faster than normal). It flows west to east, so Caroline could have entered the water even further upstream, further away from the club. Before it reaches Summerfield Street it flows through two parks. Glad they found her when they did because a little further downstream the brook goes underground for quite a long way. I still don't get what on earth she'd have been doing there voluntarily and I'm fearing foul play.

Wasn't she found almost where it does go underground?

She's only been at Uni since September so may not be familiar with that area yet, combine that with possibly having a couple of drinks and she may have become disorientated and thought she was going the right way.

I can see how she could have come out of the club and walked along Milton Street the wrong way. But even if she got disorientated she would have had to cross the A61 loop road and walked past some big landmarks - a Waitrose, a petrol station. a huge building she wouldn't have recognised. And then why go down a side street that you didn't know? In the dark? Or into a park? At some point she'd have known none of it looked familiar, drunk or not. I'm at a loss....

Just been reading about Porter Brook as well. .... could be the case as you say, that she went in further upstream and was only found here at Summerfield Street....
There is a section of the river by the Uni, but with a west to east flow, that wouldnt be a possible location

Do taxis or minicabs park up outside that club near closing time - does anyone here know?

Just wondering if she was picked up by what she thought was a minicab.

It sounds like a freezing night and she wasn't dressed to walk.

ETA = Also thinking if she was able to walk that far by herself, seems more unlikely she'd then fall in the brook? Idk.

Heres a short video of the brook where she was (top of reporters tweets) It looks like it was recorded this morning. Gives you a good idea of how deep it is :/

https://twitter.com/dannysavage

Not very deep at all. I don't think she fell in and drowned, I suppose she could have fallen in and banged her head..... there is an awful lot of police presence too, I expect there'll be a statement released at some point later today.

Thats true skibaboo, could well be an error by the DM,, but then again would a reporter be allowed that close in the video if it was the exact spot?

Just to add to the discussion regarding the fact that Caroline was removed from the Club in an intoxicated state, I went googling this morning as I recalled an event here in Ontario from several years ago.

In Ontario, even a house party giver, has a responsibility to stop serving and can be held liable should anything happen to the guest should they leave their home intoxicated.

Bars have also been held liable but not to same degree. Bars must stop serving but there seems to be a line drawn between intoxication and being drunk. If a person is incapable of caring for themselves then the Bar must assist or can be held liable if something happens once the patron leaves the bar. If a person is just drunk then the same liability doesn't seem to be present.

The difficulty is that how does one determine by observing whether a person is "intoxicated" vs. drunk?

From a strictly ethical point of view which is MOO I don't think anyone in a drunk state; should be heaved out of a bar or club without calling a cab, giving an address ,and somehow assisting that person to get home safely. It's the least that can be done.

From this picture that side of the brook/river seems very overgrown and unpleasant. Would a young girl wander down there?

627184041.jpg

From this picture that side of the brook/river seems very overgrown and unpleasant. Would a young girl wander down there?

View attachment 84818
The smaller wall ( just before the graffiti) is the wall over the Brook. It looks quite deceiving as on Google maps it seems to be higher but doesn't look very tall at all on that photo

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sheffield is her home town though. So she would have a better idea of the areas and big land marks and stores etc (even if she hasn't been in that area much) than a student from out of town.

The smaller wall ( just before the graffiti) is the wall over the Brook. It looks quite deceiving as on Google maps it seems to be higher but doesn't look very tall at all on that photo

The wall is a lot lower on the other side of the road. I can't believe she got so lost, I just don't get it. Even though she hadn't been at Uni long she is from Sheffield isn't she? She'd know enough of her way round to not get that badly lost... if this was a genuine accident I think she must have been going to someone else's house/flat in that area, maybe a house party she heard about in the club.

[video=twitter;669115402786635776]https://twitter.com/AnnSedivy/status/669115402786635776[/video]

Ann Sedivy ‏@AnnSedivy 1h1 hour ago
#DannySavage reporting from Sheffield where body of a young woman has been found

Ann Sedivy ‏@AnnSedivy 9m9 minutes ago
Police search beside Porter Brook Sheffield where body of a young woman was found

CUk9_bKXAAAqOQ5.jpg

https://twitter.com/AnnSedivy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08