UK - (Christopher Halliwell) Rebecca Godden-Edwards, 21, Swindon, 27 Dec 2002

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
live feed from Sky today

Taxi driver Halliwell is already serving life for murdering Sian O'Callaghan who'd been on a night out in Swindon in 2011.

Hearing first from Det Supt Sean Memory from Wiltshire Police -in charge of the investigation into the murder of Becky Godden.

The prosecution don't have any questions for the SIO, Halliwell, who is representing himself, does.

Snr investigating officer says "in excess of 1,000 witness statements" have been taken during the course of the investigation.

Prosecution have concluded their case. Defence case is due to begin shortly.

http://news.sky.com/story/live-christopher-halliwell-on-trial-for-murdering-becky-godden-10577527

@LisaSkyNews

Halliwell, wearing a striped shirt, has been taken from the dock to the witness box to give evidence. He is swearing the oath.

Convicted killer Halliwell is representing himself. Heavy security in court here at Bristol. The judge is asking Halliwell questions.

Halliwell, who is not handcuffed, tells jury they will hear the "truth"..."I have no reason to lie".."I have no prospect of getting out".

Convicted of the murder of Sian O'Callaghan he says: "I deserve every day I got...my actions were brutal".

Halliwell: "what I put Sian's family through was inhumane". He tells jurors: "you won't like what you're gonna hear".

On sex workers Halliwell says: "it wasn't a regular thing. I've had a lot of one night stands or flings if you like...fun..."

Halliwell: there was "never any commitment...a lot of it was with (taxi) customers". Says his use of "call girls" was 6-7 times in total.

On Miss X, who claimed Halliwell was a regular customer of victim Becky Godden, he says: "never heard of her, haven't got a clue who she is

http://news.sky.com/story/live-christopher-halliwell-on-trial-for-murdering-becky-godden-10577527

Public gallery is full- Becky's mother is holding hands with family members as she listens to Halliwell's evidence.

Sian O'Callaghan's family is also in court. Halliwell is serving life for the murder of Sian, he denies murdering Becky Godden.

The judge asks Halliwell if he knew Becky Godden. Halliwell replies: "no".

Two custody officers are either side of Halliwell and a police officer is on the exit. Other officers inside & outside court.

Halliwell telling of an incident when he was a taxi driver in Swindon where he picked up 2 men. Fare was £25. He was paid £100.

Halliwell says he'd "turn a blind eye" to "whatever the customer is up to". Says it went on for years.

Halliwell said it became "apparent what they were actually doing was delivering large amounts of Class A drugs".

Judge asks whether his evidence has anything to do with the killing of Rebecca Godden.

Halliwell: "what killing? Yes it relates to Rebecca Godden".

Halliwell says towards the end of March 2003 of the dealers: "I picked them up, one of them opened the boot, they put a large sports bag...

...in the boot. I didn't ask any questions. I assumed it was either drugs, money, possibly weapons, I didn't ask, I didn't know".

Halliwell said he drove the individuals to a field in Eastleach. Says that's why "I told police where Rebecca was".

Halliwell says that's why he told police, "she is exactly here". Says: "I didn't know at that time they'd buried Rebecca".

Halliwell on the 2 men: "things were coming on top for them & for a while they had to hide whatever they were dealing in".

Halliwell tells the court that he was paid £600-£700 following the incident at the field

Halliwell says that later one of the men told him "they had buried a prostitute from Swindon. I thought he was messing about".

Halliwell says he thought the man was "bull********...I didn't want any more to do with them". Says for years he "wondered was it true?".

Halliwell: "when I was arrested for what I did to Sian" he "directed" police to where Sian's body was.

Halliwell said he said to the lead police officer Fulcher, "we need to have a chat".

Halliwell says Fulcher asked the driver to "drive us somewhere quiet".

Halliwell says "I didn't know Rebecca I didn't know exactly where she was".

Halliwell: "this is where it gets a bit twisted if you like...revenge".

Says his decision to tell police there was "possibly someone in a field 18 miles away" was because he'd always wondered if it was true.

Halliwell: "it doesn't make sense. It sounds twisted. Considering what I did to Sian. I didn't know Rebecca".

Halliwell says he knew he'd be arrested over Sian's disappearance due to the amount of CCTV where he picked her up in his taxi.

Halliwell: "I knew enough that if I asked to speak to a solicitor everything should stop...I knew what was going on wasn't quite right".

Halliwell: what I said to Fulcher on the way to Eastleach was "a load of lies".

Halliwell said when they got to Eastleach "I got to the field, jumped over the wall...with Fulcher".

Halliwell: "what I said was she's here, she's 5ft underground...I didn't know where she was".

Halliwell says the location was near where "the two individuals buried her".

Halliwell said he left the field and was arrested for the murder of Sian & an "unknown individual"

Halliwell said he repeatedly asked for a solicitor "6-7 times".

Halliwell says he doesn't regret calling SIO Fulcher a "corrupt b******".

Halliwell says his "advantage" was keeping himself out of the police station for as long as possible.

On Sian Halliwell says: "whether I do 25 years...or whether I do the rest of my life it doesn't matter the sentence was justified".

Halliwell: "whether you the jury find me guilty or not guilty I couldn't care less".

He's had a long time to come up with this story, hasn't he. Remember, Becky was last seen getting into his cab - nobody ever saw her again.

Halliwell says he wanted "revenge" on SIO Fulcher who he claims "made threats" towards his children if he didn't show him where Sian was

This is what it's all about IMO. Like I said - old school policing. There would have been no serious threat to his children, and there was a real chance that Sian was still alive.

Back in court. Halliwell being cross examined by the prosecution.

Halliwell telling court he accepts telling police officer he had sex with a prostitute, strangled her at some point between 2003-5.

Halliwell tells court he accepts he told police he stripped the girl of her clothes & left her body in a field & dug a grave.

Prosecution says this amounts to a "full & frank" confession. Halliwell says: "I gave an account"

He's losing all credibility here - if he ever had any !

Rupert Evelyn‏ @rupertevelyn
Halliwell gripping the witness box with his right hand... occasionally drinking water

Halliwell assumes it's right that the sports bag had the body of Rebecca in it and a shovel "unless they dug a hole with their hands"

Halliwell tells court that his customer, who he claims buried a body, "thought it was hilarious" to have disposed of Becky in that way

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back