UK - (Christopher Halliwell) Rebecca Godden-Edwards, 21, Swindon, 27 Dec 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dr Ali, a police doctor

Dr Ali, who examined Halliwell at the police station, asked him why he had been arrested. Halliwell replied "I have killed two people".

Dr Ali, told Halliwell he felt sorry for him as he was going to prison for a long time. Halliwell replies, "yes I am".

https://mobile.twitter.com/Laura_Heads

Looks like that's it for today.

I hope some of the older posters on this thread come back.

I'd love to know about the Facebook claims about CH being innocent, but realise it may be breaking TOS to discuss it.

My best bet is SF was corrupt, but all I can gather is that he acted with good intentions, not knowing whether Sian was still alive and time was of the essence.

I don't think he was "corrupt". :nono:
I think he was a good honest old-school copper who was desperately hoping to find Sian alive. That came over very strongly in his media updates before she was found.
He took some short cuts through expediency. If I went missing, I'd want someone like him on the case.

It disgusts me that the interests of a like Halliwell should come before an honest and obviously caring detective. :maddening: The world's gone mad.

Bring back Gene Hunt, I say :winkaway:

I don't think he was "corrupt". :nono:I think he was a good honest old-school copper who was desperately hoping to find Sian alive. That came over very strongly in his media updates before she was found. He took some short cuts through expediency. If I went missing, I'd want someone like him on the case.It disgusts me that the interests of a like Halliwell should come before an honest and obviously caring detective. :maddening: The world's gone mad. Bring back Gene Hunt, I say :winkaway:
Sorry, I hope you don't think I was calling SF corrupt, I was just speculating what the Facebook postings were about. ITA he was doing his best from what I gather.

I can't think of other circumstances which would leave CH innocent.

Maybe I shouldn't concern myself with Facebook chatter.

Thank you to Alyce and LB for keeping us up to date!

The cocky sod had better not get away with this.

Couldnt find any live feed today although court was in session

Latest MSM links below.

Archeologist giving evidence said most likely explanation for missing head and arms is that someone ( presumably Halliwell ) returned and removed these parts of the body. He said it would be most unusual for just these specific body parts to have been removed by animals - and if their removal had been caused by ploughing of the field then it would be expected that the body parts would have been found nearby.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...oddens-body-may-have-been-removed-court-hears

http://news.sky.com/story/bones-from-becky-goddens-buried-body-may-have-been-removed-10571366

A little more detail of the exchanges between Halliwell and Mr Fulcher.

Fulcher said Halliwell had told him he had dug a grave 150cm (5ft) deep but, cross-examining the former officer from the dock, Halliwell challenged him on the depth of the burial site. Fulcher accepted that in fact it was a shallow grave 15-20cm (6-8in) deep.

Halliwell asked him: “It wasn’t 5ft deep, was it?”

Fulcher replied: “No it wasn’t, but that’s what you told me at the time.”

Halliwell told him: “You know from your inquiries that I spent most of my working life as a ground worker or building. So in that capacity I knew the difference between a 5ft hole and a 6in hole. Doesn’t it stand out?”

Fulcher replied: “It does stand out. What I inferred from that Christopher … ”

Halliwell interrupted: “Chris … ”

Fulcher continued: “ … is that Becky is one of your victims, as is Sian, and you got confused about the nature of this deposition. You described very clearly a 5ft hole. That led me to conclude that there are other victims.”

Halliwell said: “OK, if you say so. Or does it suggest that maybe I really didn’t know? By the end of this process you will know the truth. You won’t like it but you will know the truth … It is going to leave a hell of a lot more questions unanswered … The first time I was in that field was with you.”

He added: “Oh and by the way, it was a pleasure ruining your career, you corrupt *advertiser censored*.”

Fulcher replied: “I’m sure.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/08/taxi-driver-becky-godden-chris-halliwell-court

I'm fascinated by the fact he is representing himself, I bet it would be very interesting to be in court!

I'm fascinated by the fact he is representing himself, I bet it would be very interesting to be in court!
If I were there think my tongue would be bleeding from the amount of time I'd have to spend biting it :/

This has been an entertaining read - what a nutter!!

I hope they can get some closure for the families of the other missing women someday soon - I don't think he stopped at two.

For people like him, when they've already confessed/been proven guilty of this type of crime and it's strongly suspected that there are other unknown victims - it'd be fine by me to use whatever means necessary to extract any relevant information.

Thanks to those who have posted updates- press coverage has been scant.
I doubt very much that there was an eight year gap between Becky & Sian where CH didn't kill/attempt to kill

For people like him, when they've already confessed/been proven guilty of this type of crime and it's strongly suspected that there are other unknown victims - it'd be fine by me to use whatever means necessary to extract any relevant information.

I agree. There was a chance, however slim, that Sian was still alive, and I believe that took precedence over everything and so it should have.
It's a pity that the earlier links are no longer working. I suppose the reports were deleted so as not to prejudice the first trial, since things weren't done "by the book".

This case confuses me.
From media reports it appears straight forward - Halliwell confessed to killing Becky after his arrest for Sian.
BUT with Fulcher not following procedure and consequently leaving the force, I get the feeling it's not so straight forward.
Beckys dad is still insistent there is a coverup and Fulcher is at the core of it. He does not think Halliwell killed his daughter. However, he does not publicly give his theory as to who did - maybe this is to ensure he doesn't prejudice the current trial??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cant find too much coverage so far - here's a twitter link to one journo who is in court today

Tom Parmenter ‏@TomSkyNews 3m3 minutes ago

First up a soil expert Prof Lorna Dawson who is explaining to the jury what was in the soil found close to the remains of Becky Godden

This case confuses me.
From media reports it appears straight forward - Halliwell confessed to killing Becky after his arrest for Sian.
BUT with Fulcher not following procedure and consequently leaving the force, I get the feeling it's not so straight forward.
Beckys dad is still insistent there is a coverup and Fulcher is at the core of it. He does not think Halliwell killed his daughter. However, he does not publicly give his theory as to who did - maybe this is to ensure he doesn't prejudice the current trial??

I think it is straightforward.
I would guess that Mr Fulcher resigned because he was disillusioned with a system that prioritises the rights of murderers over those of their victims. I don't blame him.
I read some of the father's earlier rantings and they made no sense to me. He sounded a bit deranged.

Cant find too much coverage so far - here's a twitter link to one journo who is in court today

Tom Parmenter ‏@TomSkyNews 3m3 minutes ago

First up a soil expert Prof Lorna Dawson who is explaining to the jury what was in the soil found close to the remains of Becky Godden

I was hoping for a summary of today from Sky, but can't find anything. Meh.

I know. I thought Tom would be tweeting but that was his one and only contribution ! Very scarce with news on this one, even worse than Sadie's trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back