UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, York University, 18 March 2009 - Chef - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see her making the news again, but why oh why did they not ID the cig butt before, or realise her straighteners were missing?

They said on the news here that the reason they managed to obtain DNA from the cigarette butt now was due to recent advances in DNA testing. I wonder if it was a very small amount or something.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-26661402

Claudia Lawrence appeal response 'amazing' says father

From what they were saying on the BBC breakfast news, they now have very clear descriptions of two men they want to hear from. It sounds like the police are now assuming she was murdered, as opposed to the possibility of her being elsewhere in the country/world. I really hope they manage to get some closure for the family.

Another article, this one about the people they want to trace:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-26652441

And they have got a new website dedicated to her investigation
http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/13147

It is almost as if CL was heading to a hairdressing salon or workout session before going to work, imo..

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/19/claudia-lawrence-new-fingerprints-found-missing-york
"Police have said before that Lawrence's mobile and rucksack have never been found.

On Wednesday, they said her hair-straighteners also appeared to be missing.

Malyn said: "From the review of all the evidence available, including the fact that Claudia's bed was made and it appears that she had eaten breakfast and brushed her teeth, it is our belief that she had left for work on the morning of Thursday 19 March 2009.

"What is unusual is that Claudia's GHD hair-straighteners – model number 14.4.1B and purchased in May 2007 – were missing from her home. From our inquiries, it is doubtful that she would take them to work in her blue and grey Karrimor bag, which has also never been found."

It is almost as if CL was heading to a hairdressing salon or workout session before going to work, imo..

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/19/claudia-lawrence-new-fingerprints-found-missing-york
"Police have said before that Lawrence's mobile and rucksack have never been found.

On Wednesday, they said her hair-straighteners also appeared to be missing.

Malyn said: "From the review of all the evidence available, including the fact that Claudia's bed was made and it appears that she had eaten breakfast and brushed her teeth, it is our belief that she had left for work on the morning of Thursday 19 March 2009.

"What is unusual is that Claudia's GHD hair-straighteners – model number 14.4.1B and purchased in May 2007 – were missing from her home. From our inquiries, it is doubtful that she would take them to work in her blue and grey Karrimor bag, which has also never been found."

Maybe her love interest was supposed to be picking her up after work, so Claudia took the straighteners to work, probably with some make up and a dress.

Is there a reason why she couldn't have used them at work, maybe on her break or something?

She wouldn't strictly have been allowed to use them at work, since all electrical appliances in workplaces are supposed to be safety tested and stickered for insurance reasons.

However, people have broken these rules in every place that I have ever worked in. It was not uncommon for women to get ready to go out in the toilets after work, including the use of straighteners or curling tongs.

Or maybe she left them at a bfs house, planning to go there after work? or she could have lent them to a friend? Or maybe they broke and she threw them away?

I wonder why the sudden fixation with them being missing... it seems an odd item to notice that it was missing, and to want to track it down.

I, like my sisters and friends, have straighteners, and I use my sporadically, although they use theirs more often. However, I'm not sure if I would notice if they had been taken, or not. Does anyone else feel this is an odd angle to take?

My guess is, that they feel someone has them. Either as I said she left them at a bfs house (the latest reports suggest they think she was seeing someone before she went missing) and the media reports about it are designed to encourage him to come forward.

Alternatively, although i hope this is not the case, I wondered if they thought they had been used as a murder weapon or that they were taken as a "trophy"....

Or maybe she left them at a bfs house, planning to go there after work? or she could have lent them to a friend? Or maybe they broke and she threw them away?

I wonder why the sudden fixation with them being missing... it seems an odd item to notice that it was missing, and to want to track it down.

I, like my sisters and friends, have straighteners, and I use my sporadically, although they use theirs more often. However, I'm not sure if I would notice if they had been taken, or not. Does anyone else feel this is an odd angle to take?

My guess is, that they feel someone has them. Either as I said she left them at a bfs house (the latest reports suggest they think she was seeing someone before she went missing) and the media reports about it are designed to encourage him to come forward.

Alternatively, although i hope this is not the case, I wondered if they thought they had been used as a murder weapon or that they were taken as a "trophy"....

I also found this strange. My thoughts were perhaps that Claudia was the kind of girl to always have them with her (I can relate to that lol) and that the fact they are missing is particularly unusual for this reason. If her family/friends described her as a girl who was concerned about her hair and always had them at hand then it would be particularly significant if they are now missing.

CCTV video of poi's...

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/rye...en_at_her_door_and_new_CCTV_released/?ref=mry

"A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said 10 people had contacted them since the Crimewatch appeal, and 10 people got in touch following the release of the new information yesterday morning.

He also said the new microsite had been viewed more than 6,600 times since it went live last night.

He said: “The response to Crimewatch and the wider media appeal has been very encouraging. We hope people will continue to support the Claudia Lawrence investigation by looking at the new appeals contained on the microsite".

I also found this strange. My thoughts were perhaps that Claudia was the kind of girl to always have them with her (I can relate to that lol) and that the fact they are missing is particularly unusual for this reason. If her family/friends described her as a girl who was concerned about her hair and always had them at hand then it would be particularly significant if they are now missing.

Looking at the photos of Claudia, she always seemed to have super straight, sleek hair. I think she used those straighteners a lot...

Looking at the photos of Claudia, she always seemed to have super straight, sleek hair. I think she used those straighteners a lot...

Yep me too

Those ghb's are expensive too.

Whoever took them probably gave them to his wife, or perhaps sold them.

Claudia worked as a chef so there was probably no point straightening her hair for work. A little bit of steam and you're curly again.

She would EITHER shower and do her hair after work (if they have staff showers), after gym maybe but i really dont think she had enough stuff with her to do that?

I used to back in the day, you have to carry at least one more pair of shoes, a towel, clothing, toiletries.

I suppose it all depends on her regular habits.

I wonder if someone from her gym offered her a lift?

Wow, I'm surprised this case hasn't been covered more on WS. It's still quite a big cold case here in the UK.

Beat me to it Graceholl.. was just coming on to put link to bbc news :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27392172

Yes I've been surprised it didn't have a bigger attraction on WS as it's still headline news over here. I hope the family are able to get some closure on the case after all this time and can finally find out what happened to their daughter.

Took a while to find this thread on WS.

So pleased for Claudia's family, if indeed, this does turn out to be the breakthrough they have been waiting for, for 5 years.

I have always felt that Claudia was murdered early on the morning of March 19, en route to her work....and also, that the answer lies with the boyfriends/partners that she had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asset Locator