UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, York University, 18 March 2009 - Chef - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you weren't going to, I was concerned someone else might take my "who is no3?" question literally.

I am slightly confused though. Where does the law stand with naming a suspect? I'm sure normally names are released as soon as an arrest is made, or is it once they've been charged? Or is there no set rule and it's up to the individual case and whichever police force is handling it?

EDIT they named Snelling when he got arrested on the same charge last year, so why not now?

Are you sure it was the police who named Snelling and not the media? It is very unusual for the police to name a suspect until they are charged. It's normally the media who find out who's been arrested and they name them. In this case the media have been specifically asked not to identify anything about the people arrested. Could be so as to protect anonymity in the event that they are released on bail or without charge. The MCU clearly think certain people are not telling everything they know and they said if people didn't come forward they would be arrested. Which is what seems to have happened.

It will be interesting to see if any of them are kept in custody after 36 hours.

It makes no sense to me. Are the police trying to flush someone else out and therefore need the identities keeping secret? Do they really think that we in Heworth aren't talking about it to each other? It's been the main topic of conversation on the bus and in the local shop today. If the killer is local he will know who is being questioned just by seeing the police presence outside their house yesterday.
I think it's much more likely that the police are clutching at straws now and just arresting any male friends of Claudia's in the hope that one of them did it. Funny how they timed the arrest a few weeks ago to coincide with the publicity of the anniversary of Claudia going missing.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/572067/Three-men-arrested-Claudia-Lawrence-murder

"The man leading the murder investigation Det Supt Dai Malyn today asked that the suspects not be identified by the media because “identity is an issue”.

Wording of this is terrible

Wonder if this is some legal issue to do with the use of cctv to pin down the person/s responsible? Dai Malyn has talked about 'building a case' and if he can't gain an admission of guilt and maybe doesn't have dna/prints, he needs to gather evidence by other means e.g. a neighbour spotted xxxx at a certain time, and make it stick. Openly naming them would harm this evidence.

It makes no sense to me. Are the police trying to flush someone else out and therefore need the identities keeping secret? Do they really think that we in Heworth aren't talking about it to each other? It's been the main topic of conversation on the bus and in the local shop today. If the killer is local he will know who is being questioned just by seeing the police presence outside their house yesterday.
I think it's much more likely that the police are clutching at straws now and just arresting any male friends of Claudia's in the hope that one of them did it. Funny how they timed the arrest a few weeks ago to coincide with the publicity of the anniversary of Claudia going missing.
I've seen a fair few frustrated comments circulating on the Web which mirror your comment.amy people are starting to lose faith in the police thinking they are just on a wild goose chase now

'“I am once again very grateful to the media and the public for supporting my request that these individuals should under no circumstances be identified, either in traditional media or on social media platforms.

"That is because identification is an issue, and publishing the men’s identities could cause serious harm to my investigation.

"This continues to be the case, even though the men have been released on bail, and I once more ask that the media and public continue to support me and make no attempt to identify the men, their home addresses, places of work or their vehicles.”

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne..._Lawrence__murder_suspects__released_on_bail/

AND
A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said: "Although they have been released from custody, proceedings in this case - as they relate to them - remain active."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/three-men-bailed-claudia-probe-152529283.html#z3M2J2G

Surprise, surprise. Arrested and released on bail. Don't have much else to say.

I am getting so peed off with this, it's ridiculous. Beginning to think they just don't have a clue. Surely they can't just keep going round arresting people for murder and then not doing anything with it!

I am getting so peed off with this, it's ridiculous. Beginning to think they just don't have a clue. Surely they can't just keep going round arresting people for murder and then not doing anything with it!

It's like pin the tail on the 50 (ish) yr old male donkey. Sorry if that sounds awful, but it's so frustrating. I like to think NYP are being shrewd and methodical but it's feeling quite farcical.

It's like pin the tail on the 50 (ish) yr old male donkey. Sorry if that sounds awful, but it's so frustrating. I like to think NYP are being shrewd and methodical but it's feeling quite farcical.

Brilliant lol!!

It's just madness now and people aren't going to take it seriously. 6 years and at least 7 arrests, and still absolutely nada. Prove me wrong, NYP!

Ooh this is scary. First time posting, have been reading for AGES and many of you hold superstar status in my mind, especially for your compassion and desire to let families have answers, not justice because you need to be right or have someone to hate.

I just wanted to express an opinion that I've held for a while that NYP probably know quite well what and maybe why and, quite likely, WHO but can't PROVE it......so are leaning in all sorts of directions trying to provoke a ,"But you can't convict ME, we all know it was...... " reaction from someone who probably has a good idea too.

I've worked in pubs. I found the group reactions fascinating. Its a whole segregated subculture once you're at the bar, especially somewhere with lots of regulars. I could see people enjoying being the ones 'in the know'.

Gah! Scared to press the button now!

Ooh this is scary. First time posting, have been reading for AGES and many of you hold superstar status in my mind, especially for your compassion and desire to let families have answers, not justice because you need to be right or have someone to hate.

I just wanted to express an opinion that I've held for a while that NYP probably know quite well what and maybe why and, quite likely, WHO but can't PROVE it......so are leaning in all sorts of directions trying to provoke a ,"But you can't convict ME, we all know it was...... " reaction from someone who probably has a good idea too.

I've worked in pubs. I found the group reactions fascinating. Its a whole segregated subculture once you're at the bar, especially somewhere with lots of regulars. I could see people enjoying being the ones 'in the know'.

:wagon:

Welcome, Butterflynat - great first post!! I really can't decide if they KNOW and are trying to prove it, or they have absolutely no idea at all. So frustrating. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it just needs one little teeny tiny slip up or snippet of info and it'll be game over for someone..... but WHO?!??! :gaah:

I like to think that is exactly what they're doing Butterflynat.

NYP have been very vocal about people lying and not talking.

It is pretty obvious the suspects in this case thus far are family/very close friends. Pact of silence is an apt phrase I've heard before.....

NYP begging the press not to reveal names is them wanting to minimise talking/speculation to the local area. Social media particularly means stuff spreads in minutes worldwide making finding a jury for any future prosecution a lot harder.

IMO, given the occupations I think are involved, I think the NYP feel it unlikely a body and/or evidence can be found without someone talking.

I like to think that is exactly what they're doing Butterflynat.

NYP have been very vocal about people lying and not talking.

It is pretty obvious the suspects in this case thus far are family/very close friends. Pact of silence is an apt phrase I've heard before.....

NYP begging the press not to reveal names is them wanting to minimise talking/speculation to the local area. Social media particularly means stuff spreads in minutes worldwide making finding a jury for any future prosecution a lot harder.

IMO, given the occupations I think are involved, I think the NYP feel it unlikely a body and/or evidence can be found without someone talking.

BIB Yes. have been thinking along those lines too

Welcome Butterflynat

:welcome::welcome:

Another possibility that crossed my mind when trying to comprehend the various arrests is an unlikely one but keeps coming back to me. I wondered if there was any other connection between the two pubs investigated. Did any staff work at both or did any patrons of the nearest go to the other one also? I can't really explain what I'm getting at here but I've seen situations before where two people wishing to be discreet have 'accidentally' bumped into each other in a different pub to get time together away from people who might tell tales. Usually half the men know and try keep it from women who might tell wives/girlfriends who their bloke has been drinking with. Probably nothing in this thought but throwing it out there just because its all so utterly bamboozling!

Don't be scared! Although you aren't alone feeling a little intimidated to post, a lot of us felt like that in the beginning, took me a year to pluck up the nerve! No need either, this is a wonderful community :)

:welcome: to WS!

I don't understand the reason why so many men have been investigated. If I were in charge of this crime then I would be focusing my attention on married women, surely they would have better motives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cattdee