UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, York University, 18 March 2009 - Chef - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
''All and all, everything in this case points to someone she knew and probably rejected''

"if I can't have her, then nobody can have her"

You know Kemo, I was thinking the opposite. I was thinking it was somebody who she wanted, who wouldn't commit. Somebody who had something to lose should their relationship be revealed. Some chap who often worked away from home, a married man who didn't want a big divorce settlement to deal with.
But hey, that's just me speculating.

I could imagine, Claudia loved a man who was married and not seriously enough interested in her AND she was perhaps lamenting over that to another man, who revered her without success and at a certain point felt used ... I imagine a man, who could not deal well with women / relationships, could not express his affection and was just not charming and clever enough to infatuate her, maybe a man like RC. Proficient, hardworking, wealthy, cute BIL / uncle, but probably difficult in terms of partnership and somehow avaricious.

Are we (as in UK) a bit more handcuff happy when it comes to pitting pressure on suspects because a lot of people have been nicked and questioned about Claudia, without a shred of evidence.

We don't know that there's no evidence. The police don't disclose why certain people are arrested and questioned.

To give an example, to this day there is still a wide public perception that in the Joanna Yeates case, CJ was arrested without any evidence. It was only reported after the case (and then not widely) that bloodstained trainers had been found in his flat, apparently hidden. This had to be tested and ruled out as having anything to do with Joanna.

We don't know that there's no evidence. The police don't disclose why certain people are arrested and questioned.

To give an example, to this day there is still a wide public perception that in the Joanna Yeates case, CJ was arrested without any evidence. It was only reported after the case (and then not widely) that bloodstained trainers had been found in his flat, apparently hidden. This had to be tested and ruled out as having anything to do with Joanna.

Oh I didn't know that about the trainers, did they ever reveal why he had them and why they were hidden? That case was a game changer in terms of media reporting, and rightly so, it was disgraceful.

I've always felt the police have just arrested anyone with a connection to Claudia. Perhaps these were people they knew had lied (to protect their relationships or whatever). They must have arrested, what, 8-10 people in total?

Not to my knowledge, no: the only important thing was that the blood wasn't Joanna's, but of course that would have taken some time to establish. And obviously, as a key holder he was bound to be a suspect from the off. Then there is also information received from third parties, which may be misleading, deliberately or not (see Vincent Tabak). I always try to keep in mind that we are only told a fraction of what the police know.

As for the Claudia suspects, who knows what the police may have? I daresay some of that may be "information received".

I imagine they must certainly have some usable evidence considering the new developments in the case and the fact the police seem to be trying to gather the evidence together to take it to court.

Interesting about the trainers. I followed the JY case very closely and never knew that. Makes sense now, esp as VT was not talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some five months later, nearly seven years after her disappearance was first reported, no decision has yet been made on the case. The CPS said it received the file in December and was “carefully considering all the evidence”.

The four men, aged in their 50s and from the York area, were arrested in March and April last year before later being released on bail as part of a review of the original investigation into Miss Lawrence’s disappearance on March 18, 2009.

Today would be Miss Lawrence’s 42nd birthday, and to mark the anniversary the missing chef’s father Peter Lawrence will visit the Houses of Parliament this week to lobby the Government over new guardianship laws.

Read more: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...charge-five-months-on-1-7752990#ixzz41SP5csU2

When I first read about this seven years ago, it seemed like an all too commonplace situation where a relationship ended in violence. You expect a rather quick resolution where the ex-lover is brought in for questioning and quickly caves in to pressure. The guy usually feels bad about it and expects to be arrested. Things just didn't play out that way.

I suspect this is really what happened . Ordinarily, police would identify all men she had relations with in the last year or so and bring them in for a thorough interrogation. In this case, the police have not been able to identify all of those men. There is always the possibility that she is the victim of a sexual predator who was either a complete stranger or someone she only knew in passing but there are features of this case that are inconsistent with a sexual predation.

The arrest of a total of six men including four still on bail is really perplexing. The possibility of several fiftyish middleclass men entertaining in to a conspiracy to kill a paramour they had in common is something out of a second rate crime fiction. It is possible that the arrest is just a means of compelling uncooperative witnesses to talk. This seems a bit heavy handed and I would think skilled investigators would have more subtle methods available.

At this point, things don't look so good. A body might turn up or something else might happen that changes everything. Perhaps we will be surprised and and an arrest will be made. The police may have been on top of the situation al along. Stranger things have happened

I feel like within all these threads and comments, there must be an answer or something close to an answer. Everyone seems to have their own ideas and their own bits of evidence and things they have heard, and with the mystery of the case, I almost feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall here. Like I feel like there must be something here, but it's being overlooked by us all. It probably sounds silly and no disrespect meant at all, but would anyone in York fancy meeting up and chatting about this? I just hope her family can eventually have some peace.

Bloody hellers, just had a BREAKING NEWS flash up about Claudia and thought it said 4 men were charged with murder. My heart literally, actually, definitely stopped... it said 4 men are NOT being charged with murder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35759574

I was just at mums giving her meds and heard the same cags. I think my heart almost stopped!!

No charges? :/

[sarcasm]I was totally not expecting that[/sarcasm]

This confirms my suspicion that these men were arrested because they didn't cooperate and not because there was any evidence against them.

Claudia Lawrence case remains unsolved despite exhaustive efforts

The disappearance and suspected murder of Claudia Lawrence remains unsolved, despite two and a half years of painstaking work by a team of detectives, police staff and national experts who have reviewed the original investigation.

Nearly seven years on since the 35-year-old University of York chef went missing, the lack of data, CCTV and other evidence from the time have frustrated the efforts of review team.

In the view of the experienced detective who led the review, the investigation has ultimately been compromised by the reluctance of some, and refusal of others, to co-operate with police enquiries.

Det Supt Dai Malyn's comments come after the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) decided not bring charges against four men who were arrested last year as a result of the review's work on suspicion of Claudia's murder.

Claudia's disappearance - at some point overnight between 18 and 19 March 2009 - sparked a major enquiry by North Yorkshire Police. Det Supt Malyn, the head of North Yorkshire Police's Major Crime Unit, began a review of that original investigation in the autumn of 2013.

Having thoroughly examined the case, he said he was now sure that there are a number of people who know what happened to Claudia but who have refused, for whatever reason, to come forward.

More at link

Bloody hellers, just had a BREAKING NEWS flash up about Claudia and thought it said 4 men were charged with murder. My heart literally, actually, definitely stopped... it said 4 men are NOT being charged with murder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35759574

I saw the same and read it - mistakenly - as you did !

No surprise, sadly, that they are not being charged.

Oh..me too.. flashed up on phone and I mistakenly read it as they had been...

I have a feeling that without finding Claudias body this will be chalked up as another unsolved crime

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

That's disappointing, I actually thought they must have had something with how far they got with it. Perhaps they suspect them but can't prove it.

I genuinely think they are clutching at straws now and hope that by arresting anyone remotely connected to Claudia, that they will get a confession out of somebody..I really don't think that after all this time the murderer is going to suddenly get an attack of conscience

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I genuinely think they are clutching at straws now and hope that by arresting anyone remotely connected to Claudia, that they will get a confession out of somebody..I really don't think that after all this time the murderer is going to suddenly get an attack of conscience

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree. It could be that only one person knows what happened. It could even be that nobody knows what happened, if the person who did know is now dead. But there is a pattern of being "less than truthful" in many of the threads here on Websleuths and I believe there are several people who either know or have an inkling what happened to Claudia.

As time ticks by relationships, friendships, consciences and allegiances may change but I don't think this will get solved unless they do. Like Suzy Lamplugh (30 years this year) and others before her I fear Claudia will never be put to rest. Her poor family, it's torturing them. :anguish:

On the sixth anniversary of Miss Lawrence's disappearance last year, detectives released previously unseen CCTV footage of a man acting suspiciously close to the chef's house in Heworth, York.
The CCTV footage showed a man in Lime Court, Heworth Road, on the morning after Miss Lawrence disappeared. Additional footage from the same camera appears to show the same man in the same place the previous evening.

Snip

And the detective believes the man pictured on CCTV at the time of her disappearance 'remains the most important person to trace'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-sex-life-let-killer-free.html#ixzz42VDowqlw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member