UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon charged, Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Victoria was their fifth child,they had their 4 other children taken into care. She has been supported financially by a family trust. They are claiming the baby died after ,she,Constance, fell asleep with Victoria in her jacket.
For some reason I thought this was her first child & perhaps she had post partum psychosis or was completely clueless about caring for a newborn- but to find out this is her 5th child make it worse! :( Poor kids!

No, Victoria was their fifth child,they had their 4 other children taken into care. She has been supported financially by a family trust. They are claiming the baby died after ,she,Constance, fell asleep with Victoria in her jacket.
They make it sound as if Victoria died unexpectedly…

What a surprise it is she died in freezing temperatures with insufficient clothing and possibly insufficient food at the very start of her life when she should have been in her warm room at home being cared for every minute of the day.

For some reason I thought this was her first child & perhaps she had post partum psychosis or was completely clueless about caring for a newborn- but to find out this is her 5th child make it worse! :( Poor kids!
They're well taken care of .
I also thought post partum psychosis in the beginning but not now .
I believe the baby might have come early and that the car fire on the motorway where her passport was lost completely wrecked the plan they had of getting to Ireland .It's no use anyone saying they could have given themselves up ,they didn't for whatever reason which might be revealed by the defence ?

I wondered if the child cruelty charge might stand? The 1933 children and young person act covers neglecting to provide a child with housing, as well as inadequate clothing.
True that most bender dwellers would have some kind of heating in the winter.

Regarding inadequate clothing, the cab driver's evidence sounds consistent with his looking in his rear view mirror and seeing Victoria being changed. This spawned headings such as this one in the Daily Express: "Moment Constance Marten ‘walks into bus station with naked baby under her jacket'" - surely somewhat imaginative unless the prosecution actually alleged that.

They're well taken care of .
I also thought post partum psychosis in the beginning but not now .
I believe the baby might have come early and that the car fire on the motorway where her passport was lost completely wrecked the plan they had of getting to Ireland .It's no use anyone saying they could have given themselves up ,they didn't for whatever reason which might be revealed by the defence ?
Her notebooks may contain references to x weeks and y weeks etc., going some way to giving a date for expected term. If she gives evidence it's highly likely she will be questioned on when she was due.

Isn't he from the US and had 4 kids with another woman? They had 1 child together who was the newborn that passed away.
Is their defense that the baby died of natural causes and were too afraid to say anything? So strange.
I wonder if her parents are still supporting her?
No - he's British and he has had four previous children with his partner CM, who is also British. Victoria was their fifth. As far as I know, he's not said to have had any other children. He was jailed in the US ~35 years ago when he was 14 and was deported back to Britain after serving 20 years there.

They make it sound as if Victoria died unexpectedly…

What a surprise it is she died in freezing temperatures with insufficient clothing and possibly insufficient food at the very start of her life when she should have been in her warm room at home being cared for every minute of the day.

Exactly this. It would have been a miracle if she'd survived IMO and for that reason and given the context and prior history, these two were not ignorant of the facts or where to get help. JMO.

11:11am

Technical issues​

While we have been at the Old Bailey in London for much of the trial, we are reporting from the proceedings remotely today via CVP.
Unfortunately, there are technical issues which mean that the proceedings from the court are unable to be streamed at this time.
The Argus understands that the trial is continuing as planned and we will bring you any updates as soon as we can.

11:11am

Technical issues​

While we have been at the Old Bailey in London for much of the trial, we are reporting from the proceedings remotely today via CVP.
Unfortunately, there are technical issues which mean that the proceedings from the court are unable to be streamed at this time.
The Argus understands that the trial is continuing as planned and we will bring you any updates as soon as we can.

I'm just gonna have to go down to the old bailey myself and queue up to get into the public gallery aren't i?

Finally - we're off!

11:26am

Trial resumes​

The trial resumed at 10.48am. The jury is hearing the evidence of witness number 16.
We apologise for the disruption to this coverage and will bring you more updates as soon as we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serge