UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a mathematician but isn't 50 square miles 7.07 miles long by 7.07 miles wide? Not impossible to search with 70 people in a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes regards today's search.
It was well organised and very well manned. The SULSAR guys really were brilliant.
We wrapped it up at around 3.15 due to fading light but our group did get a really good area of ground searched and eliminated from the enquiry.
It was foggy, cold, wet & hard going. My ankles are sore, my head hurts from concentrating on scouring the ground for 6 hours and my heart leapt in my chest every time I saw something pale on the ground or when the team leader shouted "line stop" but I would do it again in a heartbeat, no hesitation.
Thank you again
could you please tell us a bit more about your day, who was involved , family we know about, any police or raf about,

could you please tell us a bit more about your day, who was involved , family we know about, any police or raf about,

Nicola and Darroch were there and were in one of the search parties. No other family members were present, as far as I know but I wouldn't recognise them if they were there as the only ones I'd be able to correctly identify would be Makeyan, Corries father and Tony.
The search was police approved but I didn't see any there. I don't think there was any need for them to be there as when SULSAR usually carry out searches, a police presence is not required.
There were no RAF personnel there in uniform; some of the other volunteers may have been current military personnel but without asking people outright, there was no way of knowing.
We worked in groups of 4-5 volunteers with the same number of SULSAR members per group plus 1-2 extra.

I'm not a mathematician but isn't 50 square miles 7.07 miles long by 7.07 miles wide? Not impossible to search with 70 people in a day

exactly completely impossible , IMO that is an area that they want to search over time , ie thetford forest ,

I can't help but think it's a bit risky making known where these searches are taking place especially Nicola stating they've been so well searched they don't need to be searched again and can be ticked off the list as Corrie not there. This could be valuable information to a possible perpetrator looking to ensure his body is never found. Unless it's a tactic to tempt a possible guilty third party to moving a body? Oh I don't know but just can't help wondering if all this publicity on the searches is a good thing as any information given to the public is also being given to any guilty individuals out there.

exactly completely impossible , IMO that is an area that they want to search over time , ie thetford forest ,

How is it impossible? Can you not walk 7 miles in day?

7.07 x 7.07 = 49.98^2 miles

70 people walking in a line 160 meters apart for 7 miles could cover that distance. 60 people 186 meters apart would cover that distance. It depends on how close you want people to be and how fast you want them to work.

Walking pace is about 2-3mph so if the search started at 8am and finished at 3 that's 7 hours, so to cover the lot they'd need to walk at least 1mph.

I'm not saying whether they did it today but it isn't impossible is it?

I can't help but think it's a bit risky making known where these searches are taking place especially Nicola stating they've been so well searched they don't need to be searched again and can be ticked off the list as Corrie not there. This could be valuable information to a possible perpetrator looking to ensure his body is never found. Unless it's a tactic to tempt a possible guilty third party to moving a body? Oh I don't know but just can't help wondering if all this publicity on the searches is a good thing as any information given to the public is also being given to any guilty individuals out there.

Seems a far-fetched idea but i thought the same. I know we are all keen to hear new information but none of us know whether a third party is involved who would then find this info invaluable.

For what it's worth, I know 4 of the areas searched today but I won't be disclosing them.
Should the family decide to make known any search areas, then it's their decision and I'll comment where appropriate.

I've done a charity walk 3 times - once 22 miles, twice 42 miles and each time were covered well within the time limit the searchers had today. Obviously they were having to be especially vigilant but definitely doable.

70 people walking in a line 160 meters apart for 7 miles could cover that distance. 60 people 186 meters apart would cover that distance. It depends on how close you want people to be and how fast you want them to work.

Walking pace is about 2-3mph so if the search started at 8am and finished at 3 that's 7 hours, so to cover the lot they'd need to walk at least 1mph.

They can't be that far apart for a proper search though, they need to be pretty much right next to each other don't they, it would be a waste of time otherwise IMO.

They have to walk really slowly and check every inch of the ground, it you've ever dropped something like a phone in a field it can be hard to find it even if you have an idea where it might be. At a guess I'd say even 5sq miles is a day would be a huge amount to search properly

Cotswoldemmie, does nicola know you are from here? I hope that they understand that we want to find Corrie just as much as the 70 odd thousand others x

They can't be that far apart for a proper search though, they need to be pretty much right next to each other don't they, it would be a waste of time otherwise IMO.

They have to walk really slowly and check every inch of the ground, it you've ever dropped something like a phone in a field it can be hard to find it even if you have an idea where it might be. At a guess I'd say even 5sq miles is a day would be a huge amount to search properly

Depends if you are looking for a phone or a body doesn't it? You don't need to be that close if your looking for a body in the woods.

I strongly disagree as we have no hard evidence , of any crime what so ever , if we did have some DNA evidence then I would go along with what you say but at the moment we have missing person , IMO AWOL but we all have our one opinion,

For what it's worth, I know 4 of the areas searched today but I won't be disclosing them.
Should the family decide to make known any search areas, then it's their decision and I'll comment where appropriate.

Nobody would ask or expect you to disclose anything. I thought it was widely known the name of the forest searched today as I keep seeing it. Just saying that the public being aware of the times and locations of searches might not be a good thing, surely the less info the public are privy to the better...

I strongly disagree as we have no hard evidence , of any crime what so ever , if we did have some DNA evidence then I would go along with what you say but at the moment we have missing person , IMO AWOL but we all have our one opinion,

I don't think many people go with the AWOL theory and the family who know him best have always maintained that's out of the question. But yes we are all entitled to our opinion.

How far away from the Bury sugar beet factory is the area that was searched today, does anyone know? I'm crap with these maps but wondering if it is close?

8 or 9 miles? Long way apart, anyway.

It looks like Kings forest is roughly 12 - 16 square miles looking at my map. There is the B1106 vehicle route through the middle and various circular routes for horses, walkers and cyclists. I don't know the area at all but found some info on trip advisor which was useful. One particular comment was troubling as it was someone who got lost with their kids and had to call for assistance so even in daylight it is easy for even sober people to lose their way. Well done cotswold .

Depends if you are looking for a phone or a body doesn't it? You don't need to be that close if your looking for a body in the woods.

I don't have any special knowledge but I'd say that whatever you're searching for you need the searchers to be right next to each other. They can only do each area once so have to have it set up to find the smallest things. Being over 150m apart makes no sense to me but I could be wrong. cotswoldemmie - could you give a bit mroe detail on how the search worked, do you know approx how much ground you were able to cover?

I would think it is very difficult. We are talking about a forest the ground would be covered in bracken, brambles, thistles, leaves, saplings etc all needing to be moved aside to search I imagine. Even if it is simple roadside verges there are culverts and ditches and stuff. All needing searching and poking through. Its no country stroll I'm sure. Back breaking and at a creeping pace. They are all volunteers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member