DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our polls mean nothing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our polls mean nothing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me it means the majority disagree that he is in LF. Why do you say it means nothing? We might as well just stop commenting on this forum if our opinions mean nothing imo.

I still wonder about the sugar beet slurry pits and the beet factory unconfirmed sighting. It was said that the slurry pits are drained once a year. Just wondering if they have been done at all since C went missing more than a year ago now.

The sighting was of someone next to the 'Hollow Road' industrial estate. If they mean Eastern Way, at the end of Hollow Road nearest town, the sugar factory isn't visible as it's set a long way back and there's buildings in between; you have to know how to get to the factory from the main road. If they meant the far end of Hollow Road, up near Marlows Garden Centre, he factory is still set back, so it's still a concise effort to approach. I think if someone can find their way from the HS to Hollow Road, they've got a fair idea where they are going.

The sighting was of someone next to the 'Hollow Road' industrial estate. If they mean Eastern Way, at the end of Hollow Road nearest town, the sugar factory isn't visible as it's set a long way back and there's buildings in between; you have to know how to get to the factory from the main road. If they meant the far end of Hollow Road, up near Marlows Garden Centre, he factory is still set back, so it's still a concise effort to approach. I think if someone can find their way from the HS to Hollow Road, they've got a fair idea where they are going.
Post number 12 in the media thread is the one that mentions the sighting and it is worded as "someone in light clothing walking at the back of the sugar beet factory near the Hollow Road I.E. " It was an unconfirmed sighting .

I tend to think that if something else bad had happened to him, eg an accident walking home, his body would've been found by now.

From the point of view of police, the landfill is the one place that, if his body ended up there, there's no possibility of his remains ever being discovered. So it's the place that it makes sense to search, especially given the lack of clues of where else to search.

If I were police, at this point I'd frankly just do whatever's required to demonstrate I'd searched everywhere rationally possible, because it's been over a year now and at some point the search has to be called off.

because it's been over a year now and at some point the search has to be called off.

That's not true, though. Look at the Madeleine McCann case. More than a decade later and we're still throwing millions at the case on virtually no new evidence.

What is the expected end date for the 'new' 6-week search of the landfill?

I am hoping that if Corrie ended up in the landfill that this will finally find his remains.

I can't see any other option at this point other than landfill. I think we explored a lot of options early on in the threads and the landfill is the most likely outcome.

I don't think the police have evidence other than the bin weight, the phone pings, and the lack of evidence pointing at anything else, but I think that's enough for them to have strong suspicions due to the body of knowledge that they carry with them and we don't have that body of knowledge.

I did expect us to end up converging on an answer, and that does seem to happen in most of the (few) cases I've followed on this forum, but in this case the majority are saying no to the landfill? Despite that there's no convergence on one single theory of what did happen to Corrie.

I don't even think the police investigation has done anything hugely wrong other than not being funded to have a hundred officers working on this investigation 24/7 until there was resolution, and that sucks but it's the real world.

That's not true, though. Look at the Madeleine McCann case. More than a decade later and we're still throwing millions at the case on virtually no new evidence.

I don't think that's directly comparable, though. If Madeleine died the date she disappeared, they don't have a reasonably-sized area to search for a body. Landfill is a potentially impossibly search but at least there's a haystack that has a limited size, but they don't have that with Madeleine, and they don't have physical limitations on where she might have ended up (dead or alive) that come from things like CCTV. Say there was a ten to fifteen mile radius, even halving that because of one side of the circle being sea, that's a lot of space and a tiny little girl, and they don't even seem to be 100% willing to say that is the most likely outcome. And that's a little child, not a most-likely adult misadventure case, so there's always going to be reason to push on, just as they did occasional searches on the Moors for the bodies of the unrecovered victims of Brady and Hindley.

I think with Corrie they've developed a case that the landfill is where Corrie ended up (and yes, half of that is by a process of elimination) and even if a body is not found they will end up pointing at a list of reasons why the body might not be found rather than pointing at a list of alternative outcomes.

I had no idea. Maybe it's a British thing (maybe related to pressure aired in the tabloids?) I'm in Canada but also, I think, in the US, there's a tendency not to keep physically searching very long, though certainly to follow up on credible leads.

For example, Toronto police's biggest search ever was, I believe, for 17 year old, recent immigrant Mariam Makhniashvili, the search/interview phase lasted about 2 months before they shut it down and just responded to tips. Her body was found 3 years later under a nearby highway bridge where, evidently, no one ever went.

Post number 12 in the media thread is the one that mentions the sighting and it is worded as "someone in light clothing walking at the back of the sugar beet factory near the Hollow Road I.E. " It was an unconfirmed sighting .

My point was that to end up in the slurry pits, you've got to make some concious movement to get there. Knowing that stretch of road, 'near' the industrial estate and 'at the back' of the sugar factory isn't a precise description of the area and doesn't mean the person allegedly seen was walking immediately beside the factory and has been tempted to climb a fence or stumbled across the pits by accident. The factory is mostly set back from Hollow Road.

I am hoping that if Corrie ended up in the landfill that this will finally find his remains.

Agreed. This case has absorbed a lot of resources for a missing adult case where there is zero evidence of foul play.

I can't see any other option at this point other than landfill. I think we explored a lot of options early on in the threads and the landfill is the most likely outcome.

Now that we know it's possible to evade the cameras in the HS/Short Brackland area, it has to be possible that he managed to do so and therefore is somewhere else.

I don't think the police have evidence other than the bin weight, the phone pings, and the lack of evidence pointing at anything else, but I think that's enough for them to have strong suspicions due to the body of knowledge that they carry with them and we don't have that body of knowledge.

No doubt the police have information that has not been made public, but the extent to which the evidence or accounts of the night have been contradicted and recontradicted makes it very difficult even for them to know what can be relied on. There have been so many wild good chases over the past 12 months that they must be pretty desperate to get a resolution. I can't help feeling that we're seeing policing by paralysis, iethe police really don't know which way to go now and are simply doing something for the sake of being seen to do something.

I did expect us to end up converging on an answer, and that does seem to happen in most of the (few) cases I've followed on this forum, but in this case the majority are saying no to the landfill? Despite that there's no convergence on one single theory of what did happen to Corrie.

Usually when we converge on an answer it's because the evidence clearly comes to point in one direction and that evidence is regarded as credible and reliable. There have been so many claims and counterclaims in relation to the bin and the bin lorry that it's not surprising that many of us no longer take that explanation very seriously.

I don't even think the police investigation has done anything hugely wrong other than not being funded to have a hundred officers working on this investigation 24/7 until there was resolution, and that sucks but it's the real world.

I suspect that if he's not found in the new search of the landfill this case will be cold. If there had been clear evidence that foul play was involved, and this could have been treated as a murder case or even a suspicious disappearance from the start, it would have had more focus and the police might have been more aggressive in the early stages of the case. The reality is that, a year after his disappearance, there is still bugger all evidence to support any particular theory.

My point was that to end up in the slurry pits, you've got to make some concious movement to get there. Knowing that stretch of road, 'near' the industrial estate and 'at the back' of the sugar factory isn't a precise description of the area and doesn't mean the person allegedly seen was walking immediately beside the factory and has been tempted to climb a fence or stumbled across the pits by accident. The factory is mostly set back from Hollow Road.
I'm not local but just looking at maps of the site it appears massive. I know SP will have the precise location of the sighting and it is in the direction of Honiton so I wondered why no searches in that area that's all. I know they searched most of the route back to Honiton via Livermore IIRC and just think that sighting should have generated more searching in that area. They discounted it because no cctv confirned it yet no cctv confirmed he walked back at all, and still they searched those routes back.

Talking of sightings, I wonder why LE didn't take the Brandon sighting as a confirmation of the Five ways sighting?

I'm not local but just looking at maps of the site it appears massive. I know SP will have the precise location of the sighting and it is in the direction of Honiton so I wondered why no searches in that area that's all. I know they searched most of the route back to Honiton via Livermore IIRC and just think that sighting should have generated more searching in that area. They discounted it because no cctv confirned it yet no cctv confirmed he walked back at all, and still they searched those routes back.

Could be that the police were concentrating their resources on the higher risk fields and wooded areas, where it would have been dark and awkward underfoot. Hollow Road is lit, mostly residential, and the factory has plenty of fencing, and cameras.

Talking of sightings, I wonder why LE didn't take the Brandon sighting as a confirmation of the Five ways sighting?

I apologise for quoting info SS, but I do think it helps to understand the procedure LE perform with Missing People, in particular with regard to sightings.

This whole link is well worth reading (think I posted it earlier in this case?) but in particular regarding how sightings of missing people are clarified.

Much as we - the outsiders - think they are worth more investigation there are certain procedures LE/police use for these.

https://www.app.college.police.uk/a...issing-persons/missing-person-investigations/

Public sightings
Further information:

Information management

Sightings must be carefully managed to ensure that they are properly considered in the context of the overall investigation. The reliability of any sightings received should always be assessed and attempts made to corroborate the information.
Professional experience has shown that the public will contact the police with sightings of persons who are being sought, particularly when there has been significant media interest. For a number of reasons, however, they are often mistaken and rarely, but occasionally, deliberately wish to mislead the investigators. This is an issue that can present difficulties, and investigations in high-profile cases can become overwhelmed by the volume of sightings.

All sightings should be recorded
.............more...............

Could be that the police were concentrating their resources on the higher risk fields and wooded areas, where it would have been dark and awkward underfoot. Hollow Road is lit, mostly residential, and the factory has plenty of fencing, and cameras.

Iirc they specifically said that the hollow way sighting was not backed up by the cctv.

I apologise for quoting info SS, but I do think it helps to understand the procedure LE perform with Missing People, in particular with regard to sightings.

This whole link is well worth reading (think I posted it earlier in this case?) but in particular regarding how sightings of missing people are clarified.

Much as we - the outsiders - think they are worth more investigation there are certain procedures LE/police use for these.

https://www.app.college.police.uk/a...issing-persons/missing-person-investigations/

Public sightings
Further information:

Information management

Sightings must be carefully managed to ensure that they are properly considered in the context of the overall investigation. The reliability of any sightings received should always be assessed and attempts made to corroborate the information.
Professional experience has shown that the public will contact the police with sightings of persons who are being sought, particularly when there has been significant media interest. For a number of reasons, however, they are often mistaken and rarely, but occasionally, deliberately wish to mislead the investigators. This is an issue that can present difficulties, and investigations in high-profile cases can become overwhelmed by the volume of sightings.

All sightings should be recorded
.............more...............

TY Jessie. It is interesting they say all sightings should be recorded, date, time, location and also see if sightings can be grouped. This is what I am talking about with the sightings at BM and Brandon. The time of the Brandon one isn't public knowledge but LE will have the details, also in the manual, a map is recommended with all the sightings and times. Brandon and BM are only about 7 miles apart so it would be interesting how the times of those sightings compared. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop