UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I am aware, RAF military police do not have constabulary powers over civilians so I would guess that RAF have done investigations involving their personnel and Suffolk Police are dealing with the rest.
However, the Ministry of Defence police could also be involved in this case and, whilst tasked to police MOD personnel and property, I don't know how far reaching their powers are with regards to civilians, whether they could "take over/overrule" Suffolk Constabulary...if that makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to add to this post, not override it... You can look up RAF police and MOD police on Wikipedia and read what that has to say about the type of work they do or might get called in for. I didn't get the sense from either of those pages that either organisation would have reasonable jurisdiction or much relevance in a case like this, other than offering some of their resources to civilian police, but with civilian police in charge of the investigation.

Just to add to this post, not override it... You can look up RAF police and MOD police on Wikipedia and read what that has to say about the type of work they do or might get called in for. I didn't get the sense from either of those pages that either organisation would have reasonable jurisdiction or much relevance in a case like this, other than offering some of their resources to civilian police, but with civilian police in charge of the investigation.

AgreedI'm sure they are assisting where they can but it's not particularly their area.

People have been reporting iphones for sale in Newcastle in relation to Corrie's case when descriptions of his lumia have been circulated, I imagine they don't want to be inundated with reports of missing keys from all over the country. If his wallet shows up it will be easy to tell it's his and will most probably have his mod 90 in it with instructions on what to do if found.

That's a great point, I have thought they probably aren't high on priority anyway. The location might help a bit but otherwise probably quite useless. As for reporting iPhones for sale when he had a lumia, give me strength 😂

As far as I am aware, RAF military police do not have constabulary powers over civilians so I would guess that RAF have done investigations involving their personnel and Suffolk Police are dealing with the rest.
However, the Ministry of Defence police could also be involved in this case and, whilst tasked to police MOD personnel and property, I don't know how far reaching their powers are with regards to civilians, whether they could "take over/overrule" Suffolk Constabulary...if that makes sense?

Thanks!

Fair point.
I wonder though, if there is something that needs to be covered up because, for example it involves another member of the armed forces, be they British or American or if there are drugs involved, whether or not the MOD would request certain parts of the investigation be handled in a certain way.
Which may explain why the Suffolk Police look to be "not as competent" as one would assume they should/could be.
If they are indeed operating under restrictions, they would find it extremely difficult to proceed effectively and perhaps have to just make token gestures to the investigation. I would also guess that if the police are indeed under any MOD restrictions, it's unlikely they could convey that information to the family. Hands tied sort of situation

In regards to the cctv and all the goings on it captures, you'd have to say either nothing untoward happened in that horseshoe area or they were involved. I think the former. Perhaps the events were just so ordinary it's the kind of thing you wouldn't think twice about. When I've been out it's unlikely I'll take note of someone getting into a car regardless of what they were wearing (unless dressed as some kind of novelty animal!) anything untoward I probably would have noticed and reported if I were aware the police were looking for witnesses

I did suggest in previous thread could he be awol to avoid a random drug testing with possible return in 90 days?

Yes, you did! Thank you. I do remember reading it, but couldn't find it again to check exact wording.

Do we know if random drug testing is carried out regularly in the armed forces?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agre with you DcFlag unless you was that drunk you don't even remember being down that way. If it really is proven Corrie cant walk out of that area without being spotted then i feel he has gone willingly into a Car but that also must of been caught on cctv to a point

My lad said he wouldn't say regular were hes based more or less on leave like xmas leave etc then he may be pulled for a drugs test. He obviously doesn't no about Raf but he has a good friend in Raf who has told him he is same if they have been a long leave

As far as I am aware Police will have total authority and if necessary will autorise others as they feel necessary

As far as I am aware Police will have total authority and if necessary will autorise others as they feel necessary

Exactly what I have said! Unless the Police authorise RAF Police they will be left sitting on their tush doing nothing. It needs to be authorised and there is no evidence of this so far as I can see in the process. Please correct me if I am wrong

AgreedI'm sure they are assisting where they can but it's not particularly their area.

And that's why the police are struggling.
But what can they do.
There isn't endless resources available. That's fact.

In the 2014/15 year, across the English and Welsh police forces there were282,066 missing person-related calls, of which 210,632 were created as incidents,relating to 129,046 individuals.

As far as I am aware it is Police lead and they need to request RAF assistance whenever they feel necessary.

Fair point.
I wonder though, if there is something that needs to be covered up because, for example it involves another member of the armed forces, be they British or American or if there are drugs involved, whether or not the MOD would request certain parts of the investigation be handled in a certain way.
Which may explain why the Suffolk Police look to be "not as competent" as one would assume they should/could be.
If they are indeed operating under restrictions, they would find it extremely difficult to proceed effectively and perhaps have to just make token gestures to the investigation. I would also guess that if the police are indeed under any MOD restrictions, it's unlikely they could convey that information to the family. Hands tied sort of situation

Exactly my thoughts, hence my reason for asking!

Exactly what I have said! Unless the Police authorise RAF Police they will be left sitting on their tush doing nothing. It needs to be authorised and there is no evidence of this so far as I can see in the process. Please correct me if I am wrong

About the size of it.
Can offer assistance if required/where need.
Same with the SIB, although probably even less.

Sorry if I am going back on old ground - I've had a nightmare getting on today but have tried to read back as much as possible.

A couple of questions I have is that if the camera that shows the man running through, where I think he spots the man I can see clearly on my laptop to his left. If that camera auto tracks then maybe it is possible to get out of that area on foot if that camera is distracted by something else. Or am I confused?

Also, Nicola says that just before the running man arrives at the bin area there is a man (not shown on the cctv we have seen) who leaves this area 4 mins after Corrie enters, who then tries to hide as running man approaches - is this then the man under the awning who I think that the running man looks at on the cctv at 1m.41secs and if so does this bring the time forward from 3.40am that this running man footage was supposedly taken? Running man should be identified soon surely with that quality of footage?

I've probably got this all wrong so please do correct so that I can get it right in my head

Apart from the resourcing issues, do people think that a reconstruction of Corrie's last movements might be useful to jog people's memories? I know it has been very useful in some previous cases (such as Alice Goss in 2014).<modsnip>

Given all the cctv coverage in that particular area of Bury, is it possible that the police have been watching that area for another reason - drugs, terrorism, whatever - and Corrie's disappearance could muddle another ongoing investigation if all of those unidentified people's faces are blasted to the media?
Good point calo. I would think the police would know these lurkers anyway if they are people of the night.

Yes, you did! Thank you. I do remember reading it, but couldn't find it again to check exact wording.

Do we know if random drug testing is carried out regularly in the armed forces?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's random so this isn't an option, he'd also have to explain why he went AWOL, he'd probably end up with time after 90days if not discharged, ruin his career permanently and put his family through hell, not likely.

Sorry if I am going back on old ground - I've had a nightmare getting on today but have tried to read back as much as possible.

A couple of questions I have is that if the camera that shows the man running through, where I think he spots the man I can see clearly on my laptop to his left. If that camera auto tracks then maybe it is possible to get out of that area on foot if that camera is distracted by something else. Or am I confused?

Also, Nicola says that just before the running man arrives at the bin area there is a man (not shown on the cctv we have seen) who leaves this area 4 mins after Corrie enters, who then tries to hide as running man approaches - is this then the man under the awning who I think that the running man looks at on the cctv at 1m.41secs and if so does this bring the time forward from 3.40am that this running man footage was supposedly taken? Running man should be identified soon surely with that quality of footage?

I've probably got this all wrong so please do correct so that I can get it right in my head

Nope that's about right. I do think there's potential for the camera to miss things because of the motion sensor and I also suggested the two running people may be deliberate to attract the cameras attention.

The two running people are close together and very close to corries last sighting. I understood it as the four minute man is also the lurking person but I'm unsure.

Melmoth you don't need to have fb or be a member to look at posts on the group page. When that login box popsup just click on the 'x' to get rid of it whenever it comes up. Posts can then be read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member