Identified! UK - David Lytton, South Pennines, 'Neil Dovestone', 65-75, Dec'15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
attachment.php

His parents were definitely Sylvia and Hyman.

Attachments

• Lautenberg.jpg
    Lautenberg.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 241
Jewish people in Pakistan.Who Knew?!
[video=youtube;DzYKtcROf_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzYKtcROf_o[/video]

Wow, I'm dazzled by the work, you guys. I'm still stuck on why there and why then.

Jewish people in Pakistan.Who Knew?!

Of course there were. There were Jewish populations in virtually all Muslim countries. There still are, though very many fewer than there used to be. Since 1948 hundreds of thousands have migrated to Israel, either voluntarily or in response to growing persecution in most Muslim countries. Ironically, until the civil war started Syria was one of the few of those countries which actively supported its Jewish population.

Just an observation but looking at spongebobs birth certificate above, David lived in Kensington when he was born. The address is only a couple of miles from Kensington Palace. A very 'well to do' area.

Just an observation but looking at spongebobs birth certificate above, David lived in Kensington when he was born. The address is only a couple of miles from Kensington Palace. A very 'well to do' area.

Yeah Oxford Gardens looks like a nice road, but I don't know what it was like in the 40s and 50s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Rightmove, it's listed as 64b, 8 bedrooms, same pictures. It seems many of those homes have since been converted to flats. But as you'll know, it was quite common to just rent a room in those big houses, back in those days too.

This is the most interesting case I've followed in my eight years at WS.

"Fun" fact of the day: the house in Oxford Gardens is only about 300 metres from 10 Rillington Place and the Lautenberg's lived there the same time Christie was busy murdering people.

I've had a little read of the history of Oxford Gardens and it's always been a wealthy area. I wonder whether those big houses were split into flats.

This is the most interesting case I've followed in my eight years at WS.

That's nice to know, wfg, it has got us gripped and I feel there is more to come....

I'd like to know why/when he changed his name, why he moved to Pakistan, and why he chose Lancashire for his death.

It may not be what you think. In the aftermath of the war, with hundreds of thousands of homes bombed out, families ended up billetted on other householders or living in a room in a lodging house. It's a situation which went on into the early 1950s. The housing shortage is why so many young couples ended up living in a room in the house of one of their parents, often for years and having their first children before they had their own home.

I see that David's father was the manager of a men's hosiers shop so it's rather unlikely the property was their own.

"Fun" fact of the day: the house in Oxford Gardens is only about 300 metres from 10 Rillington Place and the Lautenberg's lived there the same time Christie was busy murdering people.

I've had a little read of the history of Oxford Gardens and it's always been a wealthy area. I wonder whether those big houses were split into flats.

Omg, weird you mentioned Rillington Place as it was a scene from that film that sprung to mind, (where that young mum went from her room down to his room...shudder) that made me think of how those huge houses rented out single rooms to couples. I had no idea they were even close.
Hasten to add, I am not suggesting any connection between the two houses or events!

It may not be what you think. In the aftermath of the war, with hundreds of thousands of homes bombed out, families ended up billetted on other householders or living in a room in a lodging house. It's a situation which went on into the early 1950s. The housing shortage is why so many young couples ended up living in a room in the house of one of their parents, often for years and having their first children before they had their own home.

I see that David's father was the manager of a men's hosiers shop so it's rather unlikely the property was their own.

Yes, I posted again about how it was popular renting rooms in those huge houses.

Yes, many of them were split between families.

Rillington Place was little more than a slum (though the road was not demolished until 1971 or thereabouts) with most houses split and each floor rented out separately. The Christies were on the ground floor at No 10 and the Evanses on the top one.

The film of 10 Rillington Place was filmed just before the bulldozers moved in. In fact, some of the houses on the other side of the road had already been demolished by then.

As a matter of interest, there was a 1945 novel entitled London Belongs to Me set just before the war and which was filmed in - 1948.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Belongs_to_Me

The novel is centred on a lodging house, in which rooms were rented out individually, and the relationships between the tenants.

The film starred a young Richard Attenborough, who later played John Christie in the 1971 film 10 Rillington Place.

That's nice to know, wfg, it has got us gripped and I feel there is more to come....

I'd like to know why/when he changed his name, why he moved to Pakistan, and why he chose Lancashire for his death.
Yes to each. What's more, there's so much still unidentifiable about this ID'd man. As William Faulkner wrote, “the problems of the human heart in conflict with itself alone can make good writing because only that is worth writing about." Exactly, and this case brings that to mind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back