GUILTY UK - Diane Stewart, 47, found dead, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, 25 June 2010 *arrest in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just wonder if this is because the Judge who was listed to hold the hearing was based at the Old Bailey on that day.
IS appeared remotely - not sure if this was prison video link or CVP - but quite possibly he had to link in to the Judge's location.

I just wonder if this is because the Judge who was listed to hold the hearing was based at the Old Bailey on that day.
IS appeared remotely - not sure if this was prison video link or CVP - but quite possibly he had to link in to the Judge's location.
I think that's probably right, Kay is a district judge and Whipple is a high court judge.

Judge Michael Kay QC said the case will be heard before a High Court judge. A trial date was set for March 14, 2022 at St Albans Crown Court.

At the Old Bailey today! [...]

Mrs Justice Whipple remanded him in custody ahead of a further hearing on January 21.

Does anyone know if there needs to be a certain level of judge for potential whole life order cases?

Hi - I've not been on Websleuths since the conclusion of the Helen Bailey trial. It was quite addictive following the regular updates from the court.
I've now left the UK and that's my excuse why I was totally in the dark about all that's happened of late. I just happened to google 'Ian Stewart' to see if he was enjoying his hotel and was gobsmacked to learn about him actually being charged with his first wife's murder. I think we all suspected he had a hand in it but it's amazing to imagine the evidence that the police must have discovered to allow this to proceed. But what a long time to wait! Maybe it's because of covid that it's delayed until next year.

Anyhow, I'm chuffed that I managed to sign back on here again. I've looked through all the pages of posts so far and will be back periodically until the trial to see what there is to learn.

If it wasn't for the tragic fact that such lovely people have lost their lives at the hands of this monster, this would be quite an incredible murder story. It reminds me of Malcolm Webster's crimes except for the fact that Stewart is totally devoid of the charm and charisma that Webster must have had to operate.

Hi - I've not been on Websleuths since the conclusion of the Helen Bailey trial. It was quite addictive following the regular updates from the court.
I've now left the UK and that's my excuse why I was totally in the dark about all that's happened of late. I just happened to google 'Ian Stewart' to see if he was enjoying his hotel and was gobsmacked to learn about him actually being charged with his first wife's murder. I think we all suspected he had a hand in it but it's amazing to imagine the evidence that the police must have discovered to allow this to proceed. But what a long time to wait! Maybe it's because of covid that it's delayed until next year.

Anyhow, I'm chuffed that I managed to sign back on here again. I've looked through all the pages of posts so far and will be back periodically until the trial to see what there is to learn.

If it wasn't for the tragic fact that such lovely people have lost their lives at the hands of this monster, this would be quite an incredible murder story. It reminds me of Malcolm Webster's crimes except for the fact that Stewart is totally devoid of the charm and charisma that Webster must have had to operate.
Welcome back cheeseman...Helen Bailey was who brought me to Websleuths originally. I followed her amazing blog for over a year and like you say it really is an incredible story. It was heart breaking watching it happen in real time - reading her posts about dealing with grief, then slowly introducing IS into posts and then moving in with him. When she went missing there were those months where it seemed she had just disappeared but with a few articles hinting that the police did not believe she had gone of her own accord. Then all that came after that. It does still baffle me how IS managed to suck in an intelligent, talented woman given his apparent lack of charm/intelligence/drive etc The Helen Bailey thread remains my favourite that I've followed - it was such a good bunch of people and so respectful.

So true, the man was a charisma free zone,

I see from that article he is playing his illness card again.
I am half expecting him to fake an illness which delays the trial.
He is a totally despicable piece of sh.t .
I'm not expecting anyone to go searching (I can do that myself), but off the top of your heads can anyone remember what IS's illness/disability is that made him give up work?

I remember half-expecting it to be fibromyalgia but it was something else.

Thank you, that rings a bell. Going to have to re-google that.

What are the symptoms of myasthenia gravis?
The hallmark of myasthenia gravis is muscle weakness that worsens after periods of activity and improves after periods of rest. Certain muscles such as those that control eye and eyelid movement, facial expression, chewing, talking, and swallowing are often (but not always) involved in the disorder.

The onset of the disorder may be sudden, and symptoms often are not immediately recognized as myasthenia gravis. The degree of muscle weakness involved in myasthenia gravis varies greatly among individuals.

People with myasthenia gravis may experience the following symptoms:

• weakness of the eye muscles (called ocular myasthenia)
  • drooping of one or both eyelids (ptosis)
  • blurred or double vision (diplopia)
  • a change in facial expression
  • difficulty swallowing
  • shortness of breath
  • impaired speech (dysarthria)
  • weakness in the arms, hands, fingers, legs, and neck.
Myasthenia Gravis Fact Sheet | National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

Is it just me, or does that sound not too bad? It certainly doesn't seem severely impairing enough to entitle him to any but the lowest rates of Disability Benefit (PIP).

I have far worse health issues, and I reckon I could sit in the dock just fine. Okay, maybe with a cushion ;)!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bloocheez
Back