GUILTY UK - Ellie Butler, 6, brutally murdered, Sutton, 28 Oct 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ugghh!

The mother of Ellie Butler, the six-year-old murdered by her father, is appealing against her conviction for child cruelty and perverting the course of justice, the Guardian has learned.

Jennie Gray, 36, was convicted in June for her part in Ellie’s death alongside Ben Butler, who was jailed for a minimum of 23 years for murder and child cruelty.

The court of appeal has confirmed that Gray lodged a late application for permission to appeal against her conviction earlier this month. Her father Neal Gray has expressed shock and disgust at the appeal.

“The news that she is appealing is really adding insult to injury,” said the 70-year-old, from Wallington in Surrey, who together with his late wife, Linda, cared for Ellie for most of her life. “What she is doing is disrespectful to Ellie’s memory. I’m angry and disgusted that she has done this.”

[...]

Neal Gray said he was asked if he could be listed as Jennie Gray’s next of kin but refused.

“Neither I nor my son or my other daughter are prepared to be her next of kin,” said Gray. “We don’t want anything to do with her. It sounds harsh because my late wife gave birth to her and she’s my flesh and blood ... My focus now is on fighting for justice for young Ellie.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/24/mother-ellie-butler-appeal-child-cruelty-conviction

I am not sure she can bespeaking the conviction for perverting the course of justice as she pleaded guilty to this so was not found guilty . He can appeal the child cruelty but that did not really add any more to her sentence as the main part of her sentenc was for the perverting. I wonder if there will be a similar Appeal for him lodged soon?

I already think she got off lightly - is it possible that an appeal can extend a sentence rather than squash/reduce?

I already think she got off lightly - is it possible that an appeal can extend a sentence rather than squash/reduce?
If you lodge an appeal that is refused or without merit the judge can state that all the time you have served up until your appeal does not count towards your sentence but they don't often do that in

Hello Wesleuthers,

First time posting but long time lurker. Don't know where to begin but I'll say that the information here is unbelievable. I found myself interested in Helen Bailey a few weeks ago and looked for more information and found myself here. I had no idea WS had UK posters or that UK trials were covered.

Once I finished reading on Helen, I looked for Ellie's case....I'm speechless. I know I'm many months behind but it doesn't make it any less horrific.

I'm wondering if someone would send me Sally's post on JG. I'm on page 77... having gone through all the info, I would like to know what the other posters are referring to.

And thanks all for the incredible work that goes into this thread. I'm sure there are many others out there like me, who avidly read threads but never pluck up the courage to post.

Hello Wesleuthers,

First time posting but long time lurker. Don't know where to begin but I'll say that the information here is unbelievable. I found myself interested in Helen Bailey a few weeks ago and looked for more information and found myself here. I had no idea WS had UK posters or that UK trials were covered.

Once I finished reading on Helen, I looked for Ellie's case....I'm speechless. I know I'm many months behind but it doesn't make it any less horrific.

I'm wondering if someone would send me Sally's post on JG. I'm on page 77... having gone through all the info, I would like to know what the other posters are referring to.

And thanks all for the incredible work that goes into this thread. I'm sure there are many others out there like me, who avidly read threads but never pluck up the courage to post.[/QOTE]

Anyone have any update re the appeals. I haven't seen anything

The parents of murdered six-year-old Ellie Butler have appeared via video link from their respective prisons at an inquest hearing into the death of their daughter, and interrupted the proceedings several times.

Many at the inquest, including Neal Gray, grandfather of Ellie who was murdered by her father, appeared surprised that Ben Butler and Jennie Gray were participating in the proceedings.

Both parents said they were in the process of appealing against their convictions. They asked a series of questions of retired high court judge Linda Dobbs, who has taken over the inquest from senior south London coroner Selena Lynch.

Gray said she would like to challenge submissions her father, Neal, would be making to have the inquest heard in front of a jury.

“Would I also be able to challenge those submissions about whether it’s a judge or a jury?” she asked.

She added that she wanted the inquest to explore medical factors and cause of Ellie’s death but had seen an email that suggested these issues would not be part of the inquest’s remit.

“I’m coming at this from a layperson’s point of view,” said Butler. “There are questions I want to ask you that I don’t know if I’m able to ask you.”

Dobbs urged both parents to apply for legal aid so they could be represented at the inquest.

Dobbs said the full inquest would be article 2 compliant, meaning the role of the state in Ellie’s death would be examined.

“Were there failures on the part of the authorities, agencies and individuals to protect Ellie’s life and prevent her death?” said Dobbs.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ie-gray-inquest-hearing-videolink-from-prison

BBM. More at link.

From Dec 15th:

A pre-inquest review today heard that the scope and whether there will be a jury are yet to be decided. Butler and Gray appeared via video link from prison.

They occasionally interrupted the hearing, complaining they did not understand or had not received the papers, with Butler saying: 'I don't know what's going on.'

Lawyers for Neal Gray, Ellie's grandfather, argued there needed to be a jury inquest.

Hugh Southey QC, for Mr Gray, said: 'This is a case where what is an issue is whether the state exercised properly, first of all, the in one sense draconian powers it has to protect children. Children are a particularly vulnerable group.

'As a consequence, it is important the state is held to account, if it hasn't exercised those powers properly.'

He added: 'Even if the High Court isn't an issue, the actions of the state in the most general sense are an issue. In those circumstances, a jury is required.'

While Butler was represented by a pro bono lawyer, Matthew Stanbury, Gray had no legal representation.

Butler's application for legal aid was rejected last month, but an appeal was lodged yesterday, the court heard.

Coroner Dame Linda Dobbs said: 'I can only say what I said last time, which I believe was it is highly desirable. I repeat it.'

An application by Gray for legal aid was refused, with the agency stating the Gray family was already represented. Mr Southey said they had clarified the situation with the agency.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...egal-aid-daughters-inquest.html#ixzz51iEQTOsD
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

JG's appeal to be heard 23rd Feb.

A woman who was found guilty of child cruelty after her partner murdered their six-year-old daughter will go to the court of appeal next month to seek to have her conviction overturned.

Jennie Gray, the mother of Ellie Butler, was convicted having previously admitted perverting the course of justice over her role in a “cover-up” to protect Ellie’s father, Ben Butler. Gray, who is due to be released soon, was sentenced to 42 months in jail, while her partner was sentenced to a minimum of 23 years for murder.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...cruelty-conviction-overturned-court-of-appeal

Quick recap on the sentencing remarks for JG's child cruelty.

attachment.php

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/r-v-butler-gray-sentencing.pdf

Attachments

• Jennie Gray.JPG
    Jennie Gray.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 74
Disgusting.

Still no remorse after all this time to contemplate her actions.

They should give her longer, it obviously hasn't been long enough.

JG's appeal is still scheduled for tomorrow.
Court of Appeal Criminal Division daily cause list

Cause list Friday, 23 February 2018

[...]

COURT 7

Before

LORD JUSTICE IRWIN
MR JUSTICE WILLIAM DAVIS
MRS JUSTICE MCGOWAN DBE
FRIDAY 23/02/2018
At 10:00AM

Reporting Restrictions: Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act 1992 applies
201700299 C4 Daniel Michael Hawkins

201702390 B3 Aaron Steltner (Linked with 201703159 B3)

201703159 B3 Aaron Steltner

201605027 C1 Jennie Gray

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/court-lists/list-appeal-criminal

BBM.

I bet this appeal hearing didn't take very long.

Jennie Gray, the mother of Ellie Butler, was convicted having previously admitted perverting the course of justice over her role in a “cover-up” to protect Ellie’s father, Ben Butler.

Gray was sentenced to 42 months in jail, while her partner was sentenced to a minimum of 23 years for murder. Gray is due to be released from prison soon.

She applied to appeal against both her convictions, only accepting part of her conviction for perverting the course of justice.

In her appeal request Gray made a number of complaints about the conduct of her legal team and questioned whether Ellie could have fallen from a stool rather than her injuries being deliberately caused by Ben Butler. [Oh please, just stop]

On Friday the three appeal court judges found no grounds to accept her application to appeal against both her convictions.

Ellie’s grandfather Neal Gray welcomed the decision. “I’m very pleased to hear that this appeal has been rejected,” he said. “Justice must be done and has been done in relation to this attempt to appeal against these convictions.”

Jennie Gray had no legal representation in court and did not appear via video link from prison.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ed-ellie-butler-loses-bid-overturn-conviction

BBM

Absolutely disgusting that she made the appeal however glad it has been refused.

I hope Neal Gray and his family are able to somehow move on from this and that Ellie's sister is doing well it is such a travesty the whole story and how Judge Hogg can sleep at night I do not know.

A bit more on the appeal here:

Jennie Gray claimed to have "fresh evidence" relating to an injury Ellie Butler sustained weeks before she was battered to death by Ben Butler.

But judges said there was "no basis" for a successful appeal.

Gray is serving a three-and-a-half-year sentence after being found guilty of child cruelty and admitting perverting the course of justice.

Three Court of Appeal judges said 38-year-old Gray, from south London, had made a "number of complaints" about the conduct of the trial and her legal team.

But they said she refused to waive her legal privilege rights, meaning communications with her lawyers were confidential and the matter could not therefore be investigated.

Lord Justice Irwin said there was "no evidence" to support Gray's claim police were biased against her.

He also dismissed her concerns that being put on trial with Butler, her former partner, had prejudiced her case.

There was "no injustice", the judge added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43171685

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog
Back