'UK - Epsom college head Emma Pattinson, 45, found dead on campus along with husband George, 39, and daughter, Lettie, 7 - 6 Feb 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Lettie described as ‘absolute angel’​

John Wildgoose, a photographer who took the family’s portrait last month for the school’s announcement of Emma’s headship, described the youngster as “an absolute angel”.
He added: “It was amazing how she was for the camera, it’s heartbreaking.
“To me there was an obvious bond within the family, they seemed very together and excited about their future.”

Emma Pattison enjoyed last supper with pals hours before her death​

Emma Pattison and her husband spent time with friends just hours before their deaths.
George Pattison, 39, gave no sign of being upset as he and Emma, 45, hosted a dinner party on the grounds of Epsom College.
A friend said: “On Saturday night they threw a dinner party. It was quite an intimate affair and literally turned out to be their last supper.
“Nothing unusual happened. There were no arguments, no indication he would go on to do something so horrific a short time later.”

Thank you, yes! That's the one.
I did also think back to that case when reading about this one.

I wonder, if GP had only moved into this house in the last few weeks, if this was the first dinner party he and EP had hosted there, and the first time they had thrown a proper social event in which there presumably may have been a lot of new colleagues and faces as well as long-time friends. Maybe discussing his move and new job with a lot of people was a big reminder to him of his significant change in life circumstances. MOO

Reports now saying regarding the incident in 2016, EP was actually arrested. Her job at the time as deputy head at another school was mentioned as being an issue in their marital problems:

"Headteacher Emma Pattison, who police believe was shot dead by her husband, was arrested after a domestic row with him seven years ago.

Just before midnight George Pattison called police claiming she had assaulted him at their home. He said his wife had slapped him around the face.

Two minutes later, he rang again to ask officers not to come because it was a trivial matter and he had overreacted.

But police did go to their home in Caterham, Surrey, and arrested Mrs Pattison on suspicion of common assault. She was questioned in the early hours, with a solicitor present, but was later released without charge.

Police were told that the couple were having marital problems and were getting counselling to try to overcome them. One of the issues was Mrs Pattison's job. She was deputy headteacher at an independent secondary school in Leatherhead."

!!! What a brilliant word!!!
FWIW I did have to look up the spelling of catawampus, although I use it readily.

IMO As I was writing about the house, I realized that it’s not just the house that’s catawampus. But the word could be used metaphorically for the facts of this case. While EC is a setting where you might expect conventionality, polish, observance of norms, nothing a whole lot surprising, edgy, catastrophic, noisy, disturbing, behind the scenes all was awry: the happening is as catawampus as the house.

^ That reminds me of another case over here where a man killed his family when they got home from an evening out with friends/family. I can't remember the name of him now.

Christopher Foster ? I remember that, think it was a BH week end and there were photos of them at the meal.

Interesting choice to sell the family home and not rent it out. Wonder if there were some financial pressures especially with GPs new job, which has not yet been reported.
Interesting indeed - I thought the same thing.

As per the article above, despite having bought their family home 8 years ago, they took out a mortgage on the home in January 2022. Sounds to me like financial problems had been brewing for some time.

Interesting also that GP nonetheless had three luxury cars for himself (BMW, Jag and Audi) despite it being necessary to take out another mortgage on the house. Wouldn’t it make more sense to sell two (if not three) of those cars to reduce the amount of money you borrow, especially given the amount of interest you’d end up paying on the amount those cars would be worth.

Perhaps moving into the ‘grace and favour’ home on campus was an opportunity to get out of debt for EP, but was something that GP wasn’t up for. The fact that he stayed at the old house until the sale was completed sounds like he didn’t want to leave.

Interesting indeed - I thought the same thing.

As per the article above, despite having bought their family home 8 years ago, they took out a mortgage on the home in January 2022. Sounds to me like financial problems had been brewing for some time.

Interesting also that GP nonetheless had three luxury cars for himself (BMW, Jag and Audi) despite it being necessary to take out another mortgage on the house. Wouldn’t it make more sense to sell two (if not three) of those cars to reduce the amount of money you borrow, especially given the amount of interest you’d end up paying on the amount those cars would be worth.

Perhaps moving into the ‘grace and favour’ home on campus was an opportunity to get out of debt for EP, but was something that GP wasn’t up for. The fact that he stayed at the old house until the sale was completed sounds like he didn’t want to leave.

The fact that he stayed at the old house until the sale was completed sounds like he didn't want to leave.

Just sounds like common sense to me. A property that is clearly up for sale is going to attract attention, possibly of the wrong kind. Far better to have it occupied until completion day.

Which doesn't completely negate your point though - it is possible he didn't want to move to Epsom, where he would be expected ( in his mind at least ) to be the supporting partner, overshadowed by EPs high profile role.

I don’t understand “neighbors heard gunshots”. I can’t see any neighbor houses in drone views. Where do they live?

I don’t understand “neighbors heard gunshots”. I can’t see any neighbor houses in drone views. Where do they live?

Not houses, but people - presumably other residential staff, living in other accommodation nearby, most likely the nearby buildings contains flats. On drone photos I can see a large building to the side of the house (not the side with the rifle range, the other side).

I'm very much saddened by this crime.
I also live not too far away and became interested in the property angle.

IMO I'm fairly certain the sold price of the family home in the newspaper is inaccurate and it was actually listed for £1,150,000 in September 22. This ties in with the start of academic term and moving into school quarters.

By searching for GP on companies house he has two companies. The address they sold is the one listed on the closed/previous company. This is backed up by a Tandridge council planning application which lists them both as owners in 2017. The house has not been sold since according to GOV house price records. These take at least 6 months to update.

I don't know if any of this really matters but at least for the home counties the difference in price betw £1.1m and £1.5 conjures up a slightly different perception of living standards etc. If my research is correct the house in question has been extensively remodeled and had an expensive looking garden redesign. It doesn't feel like things you do to house you plan to sell in the near future.

All my own opinion.

Reports now saying regarding the incident in 2016, EP was actually arrested. Her job at the time as deputy head at another school was mentioned as being an issue in their marital problems:

"Headteacher Emma Pattison, who police believe was shot dead by her husband, was arrested after a domestic row with him seven years ago.

Just before midnight George Pattison called police claiming she had assaulted him at their home. He said his wife had slapped him around the face.

Two minutes later, he rang again to ask officers not to come because it was a trivial matter and he had overreacted.

But police did go to their home in Caterham, Surrey, and arrested Mrs Pattison on suspicion of common assault. She was questioned in the early hours, with a solicitor present, but was later released without charge.

Police were told that the couple were having marital problems and were getting counselling to try to overcome them. One of the issues was Mrs Pattison's job. She was deputy headteacher at an independent secondary school in Leatherhead."

Having been the victim of emotional and verbal abuse the scenario is pretty clear and familiar. Same trajectory as Gaby Petito.

Emotional abusers are relentless and push the same buttons over and over you are trapped in circular arguments riddled with targeted cruel comments mined from information shared when the relationship was new and happy. For instance I have a terrible mother my ex ended every argument with “you are just like your mother”. If you try to escape an argument they scream that you are a crybaby that runs or that you can’t have an intelligent conversation and they sneer and laugh at your emotional anguish. I never slapped (reactive abuse) like Gaby and the head teacher but I can imagine it. He likely worked her into an emotional frenzy and claim she was the abuser before threatening her by calling the cops (likely saying she’d lose her daughter haha). My ex would rage inches from my face so I could feel the spit and taunt me to “hit him”. I never did but I self harmed twice to get him to stop. I picked up a metal bar and hit myself in the forehead splitting the skin; he laughed and said keep doing it. So I understand the slap.

The dinner party was probably a trigger. She likely couldn’t be persuaded not to take this job and he was resentful. Then something at dinner embarrassed him. This type is vengeful.,

Example my ex would be delightful at parties but I was always afraid to get in the car when leaving. Id have a great time and as soon as the doors closed, “why the *uck is the gas tank at a quarter filled!! This car needs to be at half always!!!” Or “why at dinner did you keep saying “my house” vs “our house” are you trying to rub it in that you bought the house to everyone!!!”. Etc etc. so I’d be screamed at all the way home from every party. They listen closely for perceived slights and are infuriated if you take a stand on anything or embarrass them (like Gaby P did getting him in trouble with the police- he’d never think it was his fault.

Abusers POV: You made me mad! And now look what happed to me!!!

Sad

Having been the victim of emotional and verbal abuse the scenario is pretty clear and familiar. Same trajectory as Gaby Petito.

Emotional abusers are relentless and push the same buttons over and over you are trapped in circular arguments riddled with targeted cruel comments mined from information shared when the relationship was new and happy. For instance I have a terrible mother my ex ended every argument with “you are just like your mother”. If you try to escape an argument they scream that you are a crybaby that runs or that you can’t have an intelligent conversation and they sneer and laugh at your emotional anguish. I never slapped (reactive abuse) like Gaby and the head teacher but I can imagine it. He likely worked her into an emotional frenzy and claim she was the abuser before threatening her by calling the cops (likely saying she’d lose her daughter haha). My ex would rage inches from my face so I could feel the spit and taunt me to “hit him”. I never did but I self harmed twice to get him to stop. I picked up a metal bar and hit myself in the forehead splitting the skin; he laughed and said keep doing it. So I understand the slap.

The dinner party was probably a trigger. She likely couldn’t be persuaded not to take this job and he was resentful. Then something at dinner embarrassed him. This type is vengeful.,

Example my ex would be delightful at parties but I was always afraid to get in the car when leaving. Id have a great time and as soon as the doors closed, “why the *uck is the gas tank at a quarter filled!! This car needs to be at half always!!!” Or “why at dinner did you keep saying “my house” vs “our house” are you trying to rub it in that you bought the house to everyone!!!”. Etc etc. so I’d be screamed at all the way home from every party. They listen closely for perceived slights and are infuriated if you take a stand on anything or embarrass them (like Gaby P did getting him in trouble with the police- he’d never think it was his fault.

Abusers POV: You made me mad! And now look what happed to me!!!

Sad
Sorry for your past experience, terrible

Sorry for your past experience, terrible
It was terrible and cases like this hit home…so clear to me how she and the child suffered. I was afraid my children and I could be killed when we left. My friends wanted me to tell him to *uck off when I left, but you never get that pleasure because the risk is too high.

The fact that he stayed at the old house until the sale was completed sounds like he didn't want to leave.

Just sounds like common sense to me. A property that is clearly up for sale is going to attract attention, possibly of the wrong kind. Far better to have it occupied until completion day.

Which doesn't completely negate your point though - it is possible he didn't want to move to Epsom, where he would be expected ( in his mind at least ) to be the supporting partner, overshadowed by EPs high profile role.
Yes … when my friend earned her MA her family and friends formed a receiving line to congratulate her. Her husband interjected to each person how he’d helped her do it when they said they were proud of her …

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back