UK - Gaia Pope, 19, found deceased, Swanage, Dorset, 7 Nov 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree with Jackalyn. The only thing sticking in my mind was the arguments and RD not phoning an ambulance, she sad she 'didn't have a siezure' but it seems most people are not aware of the different types of seizures and the behaviour they can cause. The arguing can be explained by Gaia not being in a good state mentally.

I'm not sure if she'd have time to call an ambulance. Sounds like she was in and out. Then where would you direct an ambulance once she's taken off? Also the behaviour isn't what most people would associate with epilepsy. If someone came to my door freaking out I don't think I'd know what to do. I think the closeness of these families is being exagerrated as she had to get another family member to contact her parents. I know from a friend's experience that when a family member of theirs was acting in a extremely bizarre and upsetting way during a time when when they were trying to get the right dosage for anti-depressants, 111 were not interested. As soon as they realised they weren't suicidal they were told to get in touch with their doctor after the weekend. Eventually after much pleading they secured an out of hours appointment, but they weren't willing to send an ambulance.

Three people arrested on suspicion of murder after the death of Gaia Pope have been released from police investigation without any further action.

Detective Superintendent Paul Kessell, of Dorset Police's Major Crime Investigation Team, said:
"I appreciate our inquiries would have caused these individuals stress and anxiety, however we have an obligation in any missing person investigation to explore every possible line of inquiry.

"The public would expect Dorset Police to fully investigate the sudden disappearance of a teenage girl."

The body is yet to be formally identified

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-11-20/gaia-pope-no-further-action-for-arrested-suspects/

I do understand! My friend lost his sister when she was 20. She had a 5 month old and was 7 weeks pregnant with #2. She had been seizure free for YEARS!
SO FREE, that no one ever told her husband about how serious a prolonged seizure could be OR what to do in the event that she had one.
Sadly the stress of a full time job with a new baby and trying to grow another life was too much for her small body.
I was pregnant at the time and as bad as it sounds I couldn't bring myself to go to her funeral.
GO was easily on overload to say the least.
My heart breaks for her family and friends.
I am convinced it was a culmination of everything going on in her life that proved to be more than she could handle.

MOO

Yes tragic isn't it. My older daughter lost her school friend in that way. A young man by then, but only 30. Home alone. Very frightening and something that's always in the back of my mind, I just hope it never happens to my daughter. Thank you &
Nice speaking to you.

Three people arrested on suspicion of murder after the death of Gaia Pope have been released from police investigation without any further action.

Detective Superintendent Paul Kessell, of Dorset Police's Major Crime Investigation Team, said:
"I appreciate our inquiries would have caused these individuals stress and anxiety, however we have an obligation in any missing person investigation to explore every possible line of inquiry.

"The public would expect Dorset Police to fully investigate the sudden disappearance of a teenage girl."

The body is yet to be formally identified

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-11-20/gaia-pope-no-further-action-for-arrested-suspects/

My initial reaction to this announcement was that the police erred in making arrests on suspicion of murder, without having any direct evidence of murder. Having thought about it longer I think they can't be faulted. There were many unusual circumstances or red flags and without those arrests I don't know if they would have had the powers to conduct such thorough searches and interrogations, and seize property for testing, and they would have been severely criticised had they not done everything they could and it did turn out to be murder.

From the beginning it seemed we weren't privy to some information about that day and the lead up to the visit to RD (not saying we should have been). Some family members have chosen not to make any public statements, which is what leads me to that thought. We were never told for instance who drove Gaia to the aunt's, or what the arrangements were for going to the doctors appointment, and what led to her leaving the aunts.

A tragic case, and some circumstances that we can only guess about.

I'm so sorry your daughter, you, and your family have to deal with such an awful, scary condition. I can't even imagine.

Thank you also for enlightening us about epilepsy. I wrongly assumed most cases could be very well controlled with medication, but now I know that is not the case, sadly. I can't even imagine the anxiety and anguish it brings to it's sufferers and their loved ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yes it's a constant "is she ok, in your mind". When she is upstairs in her room she must get fed up of hearing "are you ok?". Which I call out on a regular basis. The whole family live with epilepsy because of its dangers. I do actually have a son who is physically disabled in a wheelchair cerebral palsy (Lack of oxygen at birth) BUT and it's a big but, I don't have any worry with him. No fear he could die in an instant or injure during a fall. Everything is always the same with his needs. Nothing changes. He's a great and happy young man. My daughter also has mood swings so the run up to a seizure can cause disruptive behaviour, anger and agitation. These symptoms are also present in the days following unfortunately as well. But we know it's down to the fit so we tolerate it & then she's back to herself again. Many people think of a seizure as maybe someone falling to the floor , a quick jerk of arms and legs, tgdm they get up and all is ok...If only it were.
It's a very time consuming episode which can from start to finish and being to feel normal again can take the biggest part of a week. The brain takes a real battering and takes a long recovery. There can be many deja vu feelings, times when she says her thoughts don't seem real unless she says them out loud. Confusion over many things. Doesn't know what day it is, where she was going , what she had just done or was about to do. So with regards To Gaia, I personally think she may have well went off somewhere to "get away from everything that was getting her down" with no real intention of anything untoward happening and ended up having a bad episode. Which would have forced her to have to be out there longer than she ever intended, coupled with no meds for mood stabilising or the seizures, sadly I think her condition got the better of her.

My dad had epilepsy, and no one would even tell me anything about his seizures. I don't know what type he had or anything.

I know he had pre-seizure aura (though I didn't know it by that name) as he was still allowed to drive, as he'd be able to pull over before the seizure.

I remember him having a seizure at work once and he had to be brought home. No one would tell me anything about it.

I don't know what I would have done if it had happened while he was home with me. The only thing I know to this day is from a Reader's Digest story I read in my teens about how to care for someone having a convulsive seizure who's fitting on the floor, and I used that info years later to put my dad into the recovery position one evening after one of his cancer treatments when he passed out on the floor and was vomiting while unconscious.

Our neighbour at the time also had epilepsy, and again, it was something no one would talk about.

I will grant you that all of this is going back more than 20 years, but from the comments in this thread I get the feeling that the subject of epilepsy is still mostly misunderstood by most of the public, and that the perception is mostly of the convulsive-type seizures. But they come in a multitude of forms... I only know that as I did a tiny bit of research months ago as I do feel I might have inherited a predisposition to epilepsy from my dad.

I think this would be a good time for some epilepsy awareness to come out of Gaia's death. It shouldn't be such a hidden topic. People should know what to do in the event of someone suffering a seizure in their presence, people should know what non-convulsive seizures look like and how to recognise something like an absence seizure when someone's talking to you.

If these auras can take the form of confused or 'odd' behaviour, and knowing what do to if someone's fitting on the floor, then how many people with epilepsy are scared that people will think they're 'crazy' when this happens to them, and lives can be saved just by people knowing how to moves things out of the way and keep the airways clear for a convulsive seizure. It's not crazy, it's not witchcraft, it's nothing to be ashamed of any more than something like asthma or diabetes...we're all human with bodily functions, and I am a strong believer that ignorance begets fear, and information combats ignorance.

QUICK POLL RESULTS

Gaia was killed and her body and clothes left in the fields 9

Gaia committed suicide (per Daily Mail "report") 0

Gaia died of natural causes related to her epilepsy and/or hypothermia 32

A lovely tribute from one of Gaia's friends.

She spent her life in colour, we will keep her rainbow in our hearts for ever and everything we do will be in her name.

I've just seen it on the news on TV that the 3 arrested for suspicion of murder, have been told that they face no further action.

It has also been revealed the 19-year-old was tormented by the memory of an alleged sexual assault two years ago and gripped by fear her suspected attacker was about to be released from jail.Gaia had previously made an accusation against 24-year-old Connor Hayes, his mother revealed today.
Hayes is currently serving a two year jail term, along with his friend William Wright, for filming a video of them having sex with a teenage girl, who is not related to Gaia, that was subsequently published on the internet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5099941/Gaia-Pope-Three-released-without-charge.html

A teenage girl, who is not related to Gaia? So he didn't even get charged for anything related to Gaia? Perhaps this is what her family are referring to, when they talk of justice.

It would have been much better if the police had done a proper search of the area where the body was found, for many reasons. First, it would have given closure to the family much earlier. Second, it would have spared the accused of having their homes and properties searched and their lives turned upside down.

But most importantly reading the statement her father gave - it sounds like she was in a very fragile mental state, and if I was in his shoes I would have been afraid that she would have taken her own life. Whenever a loved one takes their own life, there is an incredible amount of second guessing about whether there is something you could have done to prevent it. It does not sound it was the case here.

My initial reaction to this announcement was that the police erred in making arrests on suspicion of murder, without having any direct evidence of murder. Having thought about it longer I think they can't be faulted. There were many unusual circumstances or red flags and without those arrests I don't know if they would have had the powers to conduct such thorough searches and interrogations, and seize property for testing, and they would have been severely criticised had they not done everything they could and it did turn out to be murder.

From the beginning it seemed we weren't privy to some information about that day and the lead up to the visit to RD (not saying we should have been). Some family members have chosen not to make any public statements, which is what leads me to that thought. We were never told for instance who drove Gaia to the aunt's, or what the arrangements were for going to the doctors appointment, and what led to her leaving the aunts.

A tragic case, and some circumstances that we can only guess about.

I wonder if it will come out that the E family's statements didn't quite add up/have quite the same story, no matter how innocent they were and therefore the Police suspected more to it. Lets face it, many of us thought the things that were out in the media and TV footage etc were questionable.

Sorry, I don't know how to copy tweets over properly, but this was the context:

Twitter user 1:
I appreciate the scale of effort that went into trying to find Gaia Pope but I think what most people want to know is the 'normal policy' or grounds that someone can be arrested for suspicion of murder? I'm sure you'll agree this is one of the most serious offences.

Dorset Police:
We have been cautious not to comment on or confirm the name of any people arrested during this investigation and to release that they are no longer under investigation quickly as events have moved on. This is our normal policy.

Twitter user 2:
The family went to the press not the police who only release a suspect name when charged

Greg E. should show some dignity and shut up. He wasn't even directly involved, but he is one of those responsible for keeping his relatives' names in the tabloids. He has been fanning the flames.

I'm thinking police likely arrested RD, NE, and PE because there was no CCTV footage or any real evidence that Gaia left RD's home. Either way, it wasn't a good call on their part. Still curious about NE and Gaia's falling out two years ago. I wonder if it had something to do with the assault or her supposed nervous breakdown. Either way, I'm sure that was part of why they arrested NE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I don't know how to copy tweets over properly, but this was the context:

Twitter user 1:
I appreciate the scale of effort that went into trying to find Gaia Pope but I think what most people want to know is the 'normal policy' or grounds that someone can be arrested for suspicion of murder? I'm sure you'll agree this is one of the most serious offences.

Dorset Police:
We have been cautious not to comment on or confirm the name of any people arrested during this investigation and to release that they are no longer under investigation quickly as events have moved on. This is our normal policy.

Twitter user 2:
The family went to the press not the police who only release a suspect name when charged

Looking at the times of the tweets appears to show 5.54 a.m. for the police comment whereas user 1 comment was only 4 hours ago (approx 2 p.m.). So the order is police comment , user1 , then user 2. There were no user comments when I posted it. Or I didn't see them anyway, but I'm not used to Twitter tbh so may have it wrong. :thinking:

To be fair, I have seen situations where even if you were concerned nobody would agree to do anything.

It was not so much lack of care as people thinking things were not as bad as they were. It can be very hard to assess and on several occassions after a doctor came I have had to tell people not to stick around so the person got the hospital treatment they needed. This, on one occassion with someone lighting a zillion candles and thinking they were God. Their kids just rolled their eyes and hid in their rooms. Later I realised their reasoning was so they would not be assumed able to look after mum. Then the Dr suggested I stayed. Walking away was the only way the Dr would finally agree the person needed to be in hospital!

(Where they were probably sectioned.) It could have been a case of asking for and not getting appropriate help and having to allowa situation to continue.

Greg E. should show some dignity and shut up. He wasn't even directly involved, but he is one of those responsible for keeping his relatives' names in the tabloids. He has been fanning the flames.
Well they're going to sue for wrongful arrest and Gaia's family don't seem happy it took the police so long to find her, despite her finally being found in her favourite spot. This is the media reporting this, so take with a bucket of salt of course.

Daily Mail link up thread already posted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aholloway14744
Back