GUILTY UK - Hashim Ijazuddin, 21, and Saqib Hussain, 20, car crash A46 Leicester 11 Feb 2022 *Murder Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Posted at 15:58

TikTok and Instagram at heart of this cold-blooded murder - judge​

Judge Timothy Spencer KC starts his remarks by citing the prosecution's description of the case as one of "love, obsession and extortion".
"In that they were right," he says.
"They were also right in categorising this case as one of cold-blooded murder.
"TikTok and Instagram lie at the heart of this case, you Mahek Bukhari being an influencer on both platforms.
"That's why you dropped out of university - had you not done so you would have been a graduate with your whole life in front of you."

16:03TOM MACK

Judge describes 'cold-blooded' killing​

Judge Spencer told the court: "The prosecution categorised this as a story of love, obsession and extortion and in that they were right. They were also right in categorising this case as one of cold-blooded murder."
He went on to talk about how Mahek and Ansreen caused a deadly "maelstrom".
He said: "TikTok and Instagram lie at the heart of this case. You, Mahek Bukhari, being an influencer on both platforms. That was the reason you dropped out of university.
"Had you not done so you would be a young graduate with your whole life ahead of you. But now you confine yourself to prison for all of your best years.
"It was the reason you, Ansreen Bukhari, became your daughter's chaperone but it was also the reason your head was turned towards the perceived glamour, far removed from the life you had lived until then as a mother and a housewife in Stoke on Trent."

Posted at 16:0316:03

Ansreen Bukhari never owned up to full extent of affair - judge​

The judge tells Ansreen Bukhari he believes she never owned up to the full extent of the affair.
"You fell for the advances of Saqib Hussain," he says, adding: "I'm quite sure at times you were passionately in love."
But it was an affair she came to regret, the judge continues, and the decision to end the affair led to the deaths of Hussain and Mohammed Hashim Ijazuddin.
"I acknowledge Saqib was blackmailing you and was immature and volatile," the judge says, "but had you adopted a mature approach to ending your affair," he would have come to terms with it.
He then quotes Hussain's mother's victim impact statement, in which she said "there is no laughter in my house" following her son's death.

16:06

Ansreen Bukhari put matters into hands of her daughter - judge​

Looking back to January 2022, the judge says Ansreen Bukhari put matters into the hands of her daughter Mahek Bukhari.
"What a calamitous decision that was," he says.
He then cites two key WhatsApp messages from Mahek.
One of them says: "I'll soon get him jumped by guys and he won't know what day it is... I'll make sure he gets jumped, he won't know who did it and how."

16:08

Judge tells Karwan and Jamal they knew more than that admitted to jury​

Addressing the pair's accomplices, Rekan Karwan and Raees Jamal, Judge Timothy Spencer KC says they knew more than they let on.
"You knew much more than you ever admitted to this jury about the real reasons for the Bukhari troubles," he says, adding they knew about the sexually explicit images and blackmail.

16:09

'You are the grown-up adult' - judge​

The judge now addresses Ansreen Bukhari in court.
He says "you are the grown-up adult" in the group of defendants, and she should have behaved like one.
He continues there were "so many instances you could have put a stop to this unfolding tragedy" but she allowed events to escalate.
"At every turn you made the wrong choice," he adds.

16:11

Mahek Bukhari 'immature' and 'self-obsessed'​

Judge Timothy Spencer KC says he regards Mahek Bukhari as "immature below your years".
He says he has watched her over the course of the trial and says the "pressure of this case has caused you to behave inappropriately".
"Your fame through your career as an influencer has made you utterly self-obsessed with a wholly unjust sense of self-entitledness," he adds.
He says she seems to have no awarenes of the damage she does.
The judge adds that her solution to her mother's problems - to engage some of her male followers - "speaks volumes of your warped values".

Last edited:
16:12

Not chance that Karwan took over driving Audi in fatal pursuit - judge​

Speaking again to Rekan Karwan, Judge Timothy Spencer KC says he was the initial go-between for Mahek and the group in balaclavas.
He says it is not chance that he took over the driving of the Audi when the fatal pursuit took place.
The judge then says Raees Jamal took on the role of fixer.
He suggests Jamal was enthralled with Mahek Bukhari, despite being in a relationship "of sorts" with Natasha Akhtar, which explains why he was willing to "do her bidding".

16:15TOM MACK

The 999 call 'one of the most moving and distressing pieces of evidence ever heard in a criminal court'​

As he went through the events of February 11, Judge Spencer told the defendants they could have given up after their ambush at Tesco failed and that they must have known chasing the Skoda up the A46 was "fraught with danger".
He went on to quote parts of the 999 call Saqib made to Leicestershire Police. The judge said: "It was one of the most moving and distressing pieces of evidence ever heard in a criminal court."

16:16

Judge tells defendants they were willing recruits​

The judge addressing Ameer Jamal and Sanaf Gulamustafa says they were were willing recruits in the ambush.
"You had with you face coverings, you were there to add numbers to the group and give support to the intimidation or the violence which was envisaged," he says.
He adds Natasha Akhtar's lies reveal she was an "integral part of this venture" and she was either "deluded" or finds lying second-nature.

16:18

999 call 'one of the most moving and distressing pieces of evidence heard in court'​

Moving on to Ameer Jamal and Sanaf Gulamustafa, Judge Timothy Spencer KC says eight people drove to Tesco to ambush but the initial plan "was rumbled".
"They quickly drove off," he says. "You could have disengaged. You could have given this venture up - but no. So began the pursuit coordinated by the open phone line between both cars.
"The two drivers Rekan Karwan and Raees Jamal attempted to block the driver in but it did not work."
The judge adds the pursuit was "fraught with danger" as he touches on a "hostile" phone call between Mahek Bukhari and Saqib Hussain.
"'Watch what I do to you.' - a direct threat to harm him in a three-minute phone call. That hostile phone call is followed by the 999 call.
"One of the most moving and distressing pieces of evidence heard in a criminal court."

16:20TOM MACK

Saqib 'immatures and volatile' but Ansreen the grown-up adult​

The judge said Saqib was clearly blackmailing Ansreen and he described Saqib as "immature and volatile". He went on to say that Ansreen Bukhari was "the grown-up adult of this group" and that she should have acted that way.
He said Ansreen's concerns about her affair being exposed trumped any rational judgements. He told her: "You allowed out-of-control events to escalate ever more alarmingly."

16:21TOM MACK

Mahek 'oblivious' to the damage she caused​

The judge described the TikTok influencer as "self-obsessed" with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. He said: "You are oblivious to the damage you do."

16:23TOM MACK

Sentencing begins - Mahek gets 31 years, 8 months​

Mahek was asked to stand up in the dock as the judge announced her minimum time in prison before she can have parole.
She was given 31 years and eight months before she can be freed.

16:24

TikTok influencer sentenced to 31 years and eight months​

Social media influencer Mahek Bukhari, 24, has been sentenced to a minimum of 31 years and eight months in jail for the murder of Saqib Hussain and Mohammed Hashim Ijazuddin.
The 332 days she has spent on remand will be deducted from that.

16:26TOM MACK

Raees Jamal gets 36 years minimum​

Next to stand up is Raees Jamal. The judge ordered him to serve a minimum of 36 years before he can get parole.

16:28TOM MACK

Ansreen and Rekan both given 27 years minimum​

Ansreen Bukhari and Rekan Karwan were next to be sentenced. The judge sentenced them together because he made "no distinction" between them. They each have 27 years to wait for parole, with a short deductions of a few months for time served on tagged curfew.

Wow, I'm quite surprised at the length of these sentences, given it didn't exactly come across as a preplanned plot to kill, more something that spiralled out of control. Not that they don't deserve a severe sentence, I just didn't expect it when so many people who do specifically plan a murder get less. I'll be interested to read the full sentencing remarks and see more about how the judge decided it.

Edit, ah, I see BBC says "Raees Jamal, 23, has been sentenced to a minimum of 36 years in custody for murder and for an unrelated offence." so perhaps the length of his sentence includes the 12 years he's already serving - I thought 36 seemed high! Although I'd have preferred a consecutive 30, as now it looks like he's only been given 24 years for the murder.

16:32

Rekan Karwan sentenced to minimum of 26 years​

Rekan Karwan has been sentenced to life with a minimum term of 26 years and 10 months, with 362 days on remand to be deducted.

16:32

Post update​

68602ea0-d9ca-416f-a2ed-a84bfedecbef.jpg

Alex Homer
Reporting from the courtroom
The judge took in mitigation for all four defendants found guilty of murder that they had not set out with the intention to kill.

16:33TOM MACK

Ameer Jamal and Sanaf Gulammustafa - 15 years each​

Taggged curfew reduces those sentences slightly, with Ameer to seve *14 years and eight months and Sanaf to serve 14 years and nine months.

16:33TOM MACK

Natasha Akhtar jailed for 12 years​

Natasha was given a 12-year sentence. That was reduced to 11 year and eight months due to time on tagged curfew.

*transposed years/months in original report corrected by me

16:34

Co-defendants sentenced for manslaughter​

The remaining defendants have been sentenced for manslaughter.
  • Natasha Akhtar, 23, sentenced to 11 years eight months imprisonment
  • Ameer Jamal, 28, sentenced to 14 years eight months imprisonment
  • Sanaf Gulamustafa, 23, sentenced to 14 years nine months imprisonment
16:36

Post update​

fd4d4074-409e-46ba-a705-49ae7a3fb8a8.jpg

Emily Anderson
Reporting from the courtroom
There was no reaction from Ansreen Bukhari as she was sentenced. Vacant if anything

Wow, I'm quite surprised at the length of these sentences, given it didn't exactly come across as a preplanned plot to kill, more something that spiralled out of control. Not that they don't deserve a severe sentence, I just didn't expect it when so many people who do specifically plan a murder get less. I'll be interested to read the full sentencing remarks and see more about how the judge decided it.

Edit, ah, I see BBC says "Raees Jamal, 23, has been sentenced to a minimum of 36 years in custody for murder and for an unrelated offence." so perhaps the length of his sentence includes the 12 years he's already serving - I thought 36 seemed high! Although I'd have preferred a consecutive 30, as now it looks like he's only been given 24 years for the murder.
They all lied about it under oath. None of them called 999 after the crash. I agree they didn’t plan to kill but they had 2 cars chasing the victims at 90mph! I think they deserve the long sentences.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HazardPay
Back