GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was a long stressful day and so sorry I am knackered and probably not going to write anything of much insight.

First of all, I would not suggest anybody trying to come in the morning. The place has become packed out just for IS, the number of press has quintupled; instead of a few little local rags you have the BBC and all the rest of them. They are taking up a very large number of seats and so the spaces for the general public is in a single digit. The court clerk was turning people away today and I felt sorry for them having made the trip, and at one point I thought I was going to be turned away.

The first two witnesses were the standard NHS/police combo. As I've previously said, NHS staff alongside law enforcement are the least interesting, unless they were on the crime scene etc. There were also about three statements read to the court by one of the prosecution counsel who doesn't speak very loudly and has a ratty wig (compared to Stuart Trimmer's which is very trim and neat).

Ian was breathing deeply before he took the stand, but when he did take the stand was generally confident; surprisingly talkative. Whereas other witnesses usually answered yes or no to many statements, every single question he was asked was answered with long, rambling answers, spoken very quickly. His defence counsel found it hard to get a word in, and had to tell him to slow his speech down because lots of people were taking notes and this was his opportunity to set the record straight (it's also harder for him to be guided by the defence if he just bangs on, and he could shoot himself in the foot with an unrestrained remark). This really did nothing to stop him talking a dime a dozen.

It seemed like he genuinely got satisfaction from painting the picture of his life prior to this incident, things a million miles away from this crime, like his student days; and trying to "humanise" himself in the eyes of others, with reference to his late wife and his various health problems. He loved talking about his ailments and from his descriptions of all the surgeries he's had over the past thirty years you might be forgiven for thinking he is the bionic man or something. He is a very tall, large man and nothing I saw would suggest that he would have problems levering open the cesspit hatch or moving a body.

There were several points in which he got emotional; however it was weird because he then very quickly resolved himself and carried on talking a dime a dozen. The points at which he got emotional, from what I can recall, was Helen loving riding in the MG with the wind in her hair; the moment he came round late at night and they embraced (how romantic! lol); talking about how Oliver got on really well with Helen in Cafe Rouge; and then saying he understood why on their date in London, Helen asked him to leave because she had seen too many places which reminded her of John; he could relate, apparently, to getting emotional about one's deceased partner and being reminded of everything shared with them; also at the end when SRF reminded him that tomorrow the prosecution would suggest that he had killed HB; he said "no way".

His defence counsel put it to him at the start that he was standing there accused of murder; perverting the course of justice, theft of money, preventing a lawful burial etc etc etc. He answered not guilty to all of these counts. But what convinces me of his guilt more readily than anything else is the fact that when asked "did you change a standing order from HB's account to yours, from 600pcm to 4000pcm", he says "No". Now I'm no Columbo or Sherlock but am I really meant to believe that somebody else killed Helen and then decided, having gained access to her online banking (using her bank card and cardreader, at the Royston IP address), that rather than steal the money for themselves, they would randomly donate it to Ian? Apart from Robin Hood, which robber in the history of robberies doesn't rob the money for themselves?

He is a contemptible man, and to be honest I don't really know that this is the sum of what I feel about him because it's just so bizarre seeing him try to carry this off. To think that somebody this cold and calculating, but also stupid, has never had any run in with the law in his life whatsoever, I find incredibly unusual. But he is a very complex man in a very complex situation. He demonstrates sadness at times for Helen and his deceased wife but at the other times engages in shameless lies, and how stupid does he think everybody else is? That's the real mystery of this crime. Not whodunnit, or why; that's obvious. Ian did it for money. But having been caught out, how can he in good conscience keep pretending with the weight of so much evidence against him, putting the family through a long and disruptive trial, and wasting everybody's time?

The evidence he gave was about an hour long and I don't think I could add to what the scores of press will have reported on the detail of what he said. Judge Bright at the end said that he was half way through his evidence, so from that I can only assume that he will not be taking the stand after tomorrow has concluded, but maybe I misunderstood. Ah well! We shall see what he has to say tomorrow! (If I get in, that is!)

‘There’s no way I killed Helen’ – Ian Stewart takes to the stand in Royston murder trial

18:54 07 February 2017 Bianca Wild at St Albans Crown Court

Ian Stewart said there’s ‘no way’ he murdered his partner Helen Bailey when he took to the witness stand as the defence case in the Royston murder trial opened today at St Albans Crown Court.

Mr Stewart is accused of drugging and killing Ms Bailey for her fortune, and dumping her body, and that of her pet dog Boris in an excrement-filled cesspit beneath the garage of their Baldock Road home.

Defence barrister Simon Russell Flint QC asked Mr Stewart – who is originally from Letchworth – to confirm his name and date of birth, and read through the indictment.

Mr Stewart chose to stand throughout his evidence, and drank from a cup of water just before answering the first question – which was ‘did you kill Helen Bailey?’ He replied no.

The 56-year-old also denied playing any part in causing her death and having any knowledge of her death until her body was found.

He was asked about the fraud charge, and denied logging onto her Barclays bank account to change a standing order from £600 to £4,000 on the day she is alleged to have died. He also denied getting rid of a duvet, reporting Ms Bailey missing to police, and disposing of her iPhone to pervert the course of justice.

Mr Russell Flint asked Mr Stewart questions about his childhood.

“I was born in Letchworth Garden City,” Mr Stewart said.

“My dad was a teacher, my mum was a secretary.”

He was asked if he had any difficulties in his childhood.

“The only thing that was slightly difficult is mum had post natal depression severely, which caused her depression and OCD,” he said.

Mr Stewart said he went to a grammar school, and then went on to the University of Salford to study electronic computer systems.

During the evidence, Mr Russell Flint asked Mr Stewart to talk more slowly as he has ‘a tendency to speak quite rapidly.’ Mr Stewart also became emotional at various points.

Mr Stewart recalled how he got the noticeable scar on his cheek – at Stevenage Arts & Leisure Centre where he had gone to play sport at the age of 18 – and said: “It was very slippery – I put my hand on the door, my foot slipped and went through the glass.”

As a result he had deep cuts to his face and leg.

He said he was awarded £7,000 in compensation as the council put in the wrong glass – the money he described as “a reasonable amount in those days.”

Mr Stewart told the court how he had suffered poor health, but still finished his degree with first class honours, and met his future wife Diane at Salford.

He worked in Hitchin before starting a PhD at Cambridge which he eventually gave up for a job in Shepreth – so he and Diane moved to Bassingbourn. Not finishing his course he said was his one regret.

He was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis in 1995, which caused muscle weakness and breathing problems.

Following the death of his wife Diane in June 2010, Mr Stewart told the court how he joined a forum for widows and widowers, and the forum’s Facebook group, which Ms Bailey, 51, had also joined after her husband John Sinfield died in Barbados in 2011.

Mr Stewart told the court that she messaged him first: “One morning I was on Facebook and Helen suddenly said ‘Hi, how are you?’ I said ‘I’m OK how are you doing?

“She said: ‘I’m not doing great – in two days’ time it’s John’s funeral’.”

And the court heard Mr Stewart’s response: “It’s not going to be easy, it’s going to be hard, but do what feels right for you.

“It’s your funeral, it’s your memories.”

The pair exchanged long emails from then on – which eventually became ‘flirty’.

Things progressed and he drove to her house unexpectedly one day, where they met in person for the first time. Mr Stewart becomes emotional as he tells the court how they fell into each others’ arms and he stayed at her house that night.

Mr Stewart tells the court how he was completely different from her first husband.

“JS and myself were totally different people,” Mr Stewart said.

“He was very sophisticated, smooth and suave, and I’m not.

“It wasn’t a problem for me or a problem for Helen. Helen was very different from my wife, but we just clicked.

Mr Russell Flint asked: “So by this time were you falling in love?”

He replied: “I fall in love quite quickly, I can’t remember when this was but she warned me to never say the ‘L word’.

But he told the court he did and that about a week later he hugged Ms Bailey and she said that she loved him too.

“I never stopped loving her,” he said.

Mr Russell Flint then said: “It is going to be suggested tomorrow that you killed her.”

To which Mr Stewart replied: “No way.”

The trial continues.

http://www.thecomet.net/news/there_...o_the_stand_in_royston_murder_trial_1_4881061

my opinion only!

Pah! as if opinions should be 'only'

I think MOO, JMO and similar are superfluous.
It goes without saying that what we write here is our own opinion.
If we are mentioning someone else's opinion, we say so, eg "My husband thinks ..." If we are quoting somebody else, we give a source.
Other than that, it's our opinion. That should be obvious.

I just had a horrible thought. What if he was innocent? [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People with NPD have had one super critical parent that can never be pleased. They then idealize the other parent. Often they search for partners they can put on a pedestal, because they get their sense of self worth from their partner(s). If the person falls off the pedestal, they have to be replaced. Sometimes they have multiple marriages at once. Divorce smacks of failure, easier to just blank out the first marriage in their mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

interestingly, this book ( pg 53) says poisoner profiles share many of the same traits as per npd as well as other cluster B disorders.
I can't paste it but it also lists .... "entitlement, fantasies of self-importance ( fame, wealth, achievement) , envy, willingness towards inter-personal exploitation",

strikingly familiar

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...AQhBMAk#v=onepage&q=poisoners profile&f=false

(cluster B disorders include antisocial personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder and narcissistic personality disorder.)

I just had a horrible thought. What if he was innocent? [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you been on the bottle snoopy? Wouldn't blame you , after today, he's going to send us all to drink.

Thank you Lit Up, great feed back and very interesting.

Absolutely brilliant, vivid first hand account of this murderer and his desperate attempt to escape justice - terrific insights too. Thanks so much Lit Up. I am praying you get into court tomorrow, we need more of this please!

Needs to be pilloried in the stocks first. If Bassingbourn bowling green is not available then maybe Royston village green can accommodate.

They really should bring back the pillory for some criminals. What fun we could have.

2-colonial-pillory-granger.jpg

"Mr Stewart also became emotional at various points."

As Private Eye would say "takes out onion".

Just read you post Lit-Up:yourock:

Fantastic. Loved all those detailed insights You made me laugh with the "I'm no Sherlock but..." and then came up with the questions which mean Mr Trimmer will be stealing your lines tomorrow afternoon.

Glad you got in even though the journey was a mare, those johnny-come-latelies journalists need to budge up and save spaces for all you sleuthers.

They really should bring back the pillory for some criminals. What fun we could have.

View attachment 109468

first time for everything

Image Caption: G4S van after infamous forum members let loose as convicted whinger murderer Ian Stewart is transported on final day of Helen Bailey murder trial.
police-van-11_1770802c.jpg

( I couldn't find a proper prison van ^ that will have to suffice)

But what convinces me of his guilt more readily than anything else is the fact that when asked "did you change a standing order from HB's account to yours, from 600pcm to 4000pcm", he says "No". Now I'm no Columbo or Sherlock but am I really meant to believe that somebody else killed Helen and then decided, having gained access to her online banking (using her bank card and cardreader, at the Royston IP address), that rather than steal the money for themselves, they would randomly donate it to Ian? Apart from Robin Hood, which robber in the history of robberies doesn't rob the money for themselves?

I reckon he's going to say that Nick & Joe took Helen and wanted payment for money Helen's husband owed them and to ensure her safe return. Obviously they didn't want it to be traced to their account so they set up/amended the standing order to go into IS's account. They were then no doubt going to get IS to withdraw it as cash and hand it over to them. (knowing somehow that IS wouldn't go to police in the meantime and also being prepared to take payment in monthly installments rather than in one lump sum) They made IS give them access to his computer to do all of this (again so that nothing could be traced back to them). They then provided him with a mobile and used it to give him a number of instructions that he had to follow in order to get Helen back unharmed.

Honestly though what is he going to come up with? Nothing he comes up with would explain why he kept quiet about Nick & Joe, even after Helen's body was found.

Night night brilliant people - wonderful to know that justice prevails -even if we are not fit for Jury as we've already concluded in knowing too much. And Helen, know we shall not ever spare your loss lightly darling.
We are all here loving you, continuing in our best way for you. And shall not ever, ever forget your light and beauty, which shines today and whom we are working for in every moment to make sure there is truth for you and Boris xx

"Convicted whinger murderer", too funny!

Oh and if stocks are ever set up, please count me in, I'll be delighted to provide the tomatoes - in tins, obviously!

Oh and if stocks are ever set up, please count me in, I'll be delighted to provide the tomatoes - in tins, obviously!

No, not stocks - people sit down in the stocks. He needs to be in a pillory so we can kick his arse as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003