UK - Huge fire rips through Grenfell Tower, Latimer Road, White City, London, June 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I certainly haven't. The main brand of fridge implicated has been the Turkish-made Beko appliances. Significantly they are firmly at the budget end of the market so it's possible they're not as well made as more expensive ones.

To be fair, there have only been a few dozen cases to my knowledge despite millions of fridges in use.

Do you think this is a full size fridge, or likely a smaller compact one? Just trying to explore the idea that a fridge exploded innocently and caused an entire building to be engulfed in an inferno.

I'm truly not buying this or the exterior issue burning inward into apartments.

It said on BBC radio news earlier that lots of parents in the area are reporting their kids upset after classmates failed to turn up to school.

Guardian:

The police and fire minister, Nick Hurd, has promised the public inquiry will “leave absolutely no stone unturned”.
---
Hurd indicated that a previously promised review of building regulations [promised eight years ago after the Lakanal House fire inquest] would not now be published until after the inquiry.
Pfft.

It's insane we still don't even know how many people have died at this stage. When it is announced it could be a huge shock.

It's been estimated that recovering all the bodies may take months and it's thought that some will never be identified. There is a significant problem with social housing tenants illegally subletting flats at a profit, especially in London, so while the council may believe that 2 people are living in a property there could be double that number. There's also problems with families moving extra family members in and thus overcrowding. And the bodies of some young children may simply have been completely destroyed - the LFB has apparently estimated the temperature of the fire at 1000 - 1200 degrees centigrade which is significantly above that achieved by a crematorium. Added to which is the fact that searchers have not even been able to access the flats on the top floors over safety concerns.

It's been estimated that recovering all the bodies may take months and it's thought that some will never be identified. There is a significant problem with social housing tenants illegally subletting flats at a profit, especially in London, so while the council may believe that 2 people are living in a property there could be double that number. There's also problems with families moving extra family members in and thus overcrowding. And the bodies of some young children may simply have been completely destroyed - the LFB has apparently estimated the temperature of the fire at 1000 - 1200 degrees centigrade which is significantly above that achieved by a crematorium. Added to which is the fact that searchers have not even been able to access the flats on the top floors over safety concerns.

How are such high temperatures reached? Is this normal in a building fire?

And has it been said what the safety concerns regarding the top floors are? Is this where fire are still being battled, or is there concern over structural safety?

Sorry I have only questions :blushing: But you seem very knowledgeable so I gotta ask.

It sounds like a fire where temperatures are reached with an accelerant.

Maybe.

IMO this was not caused by a refrigerator explosion (whichever I have never heard of happening):

IMG_0683.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg

After a tragedy many saw as preventable, London fire survivors vent their anger

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...611861a988f_story.html?utm_term=.f4ad9d25bd9c

Residents vented their anger Thursday over a fire that raced through a London high-rise and claimed 17 lives, even as concern grew that the blaze will not be the last such tragedy without dramatic changes to Britain’s public housing towers.

As others shouted for legislation requiring that Britain’s aging public high-rises be retrofitted with sprinkler systems and multiple stairwells – both of which were lacking at Grenfell Tower – Khan said he shared their frustration, and called for a government inquiry into the blaze to publish its initial findings by the end of the summer.

“I really hope the number of fatalities does not reach triple figures,” said London Police Cmdr. Stuart Cundy.

no, I mean has anyone experienced this themselves? Or a friend?

Not a frig, but a dryer fire cuz a belt broke. Never run your dryer while sleeping. Also, dishwashers starting on fire. I had a very high end dishwasher that apparently starts on fire. I found that out when I was looking for a replacement part on the net. Never wash dishes while sleeping.

I know nothing of a frig.

I had a mice problem in my home. I stuffed holes such as around pipes that came in from the basement with steel wool.

My son had a fit. He said steel wool burns easily. I did not believe him. Yup. It does,

There are so many things made out of cheap plastic. They are just like gasoline

Not a frig, but a dryer fire cuz a belt broke. Never run your dryer while sleeping. Also, dishwashers starting on fire. I had a very high end dishwasher that apparently starts on fire. I found that out when I was looking for a replacement part on the net. Never wash dishes while sleeping.

I know nothing of a frig.

I had a mice problem in my home. I stuffed holes such as around pipes that came in from the basement with steel wool.

My son had a fit. He said steel wool burns easily. I did not believe him. Yup. It does,

I can't sleep or leave my flat if anything is even left plugged in (fridge and wifi excluded). I feel this is a good policy.

I had no idea about steel wool being flammable. Your son sounds pretty smart.

:( I've been following this fire - once again we have a situation where not enough fire safety was in place. I followed the Oakland Ghostship fire too and the similarities are depressing; only one way out, smoke alarms either not going off or ringing softly, fire extinguishers that haven't been checked in years, cluttered exits. When will people (meaning people who are responsible for housing) learn?

I've also read in some articles that fire sprinklers failed to engage while other articles said there were no sprinklers. And, like the Ghostship, hazardous material - in this case most likely budget-cutting cladding insulation - spread the fire so quickly that it became impossible for firefighters to control it. 30 minutes! Finally, something that both fires had in common - people with limited income were housed in the buildings.

IMO I feel like those who aren't wealthy, or at least financially secure are relegated to the back of the line and are almost "throwaway" people. What will it take to make sure everyone is safe in their homes?

SMDH. Last I heard there were 17 confirmed deaths but I'm expecting to see that number rise in the next few days. I'm so sorry for the families that lived in Grenfell Tower. :tears:

Scotland Yard launches criminal inquiry

Police have opened a criminal investigation into the tower block fire that has killed at least 17 people. A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said: “We have appointed a senior investigating officer.”

Police have said they are not yet in a position to define how the investigation will be carried out and what, specifically, will be its focus. But they said they hope to release more details soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ore-fatalities-after-tower-block-blaze-latest

Glad to see this #JusticeForGrenfell #JailThem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donwes
Back