Found Deceased UK - Leah Croucher - Emerson Valley - Milton Keynes - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbour told reporters at the scene that she/her husband had mowed the grass to stop the house looking empty - the street view images over those years show it to be very overgrown at the front, you can’t see the house/through the windows apart from a small ground floor one which appears to have cleaning products on the ledge. There is also som graffiti on the side of the garage wall in one image - locals would have known a sex offender (Johnston) has lived there, as would the letting agents. I really do wonder if the two sex offenders knew each other and/or knew that house was empty - why did Leah’s phone go off the night before in that same area - who was she meeting there? I think she had met Maxwell before and went into that house without a struggle or was taken there after she had been killed.

BBM - The reason everyone is suddenly asking why houses weren't searched.

Because now there was a reason to search them at the time, be interested to know how many people were asking for this to happen before the start of this week.
Looking at Google street view over the years in question shows that the number 2 property stood out like a sore thumb because it was so overgrown - that should have been enough to ask who owned it, when it was last occupied and who has a key? Surely if the neighbours said at that time it’s been empty for a while and a known sex offender (Johnston) lived there previously, that would warrant a more thorough search? They were looking in the lake behind it with divers so why not wonder about that particular house? If I was a neighbour I would have wanted the police to check it knowing it has been unoccupied but also it’s link to someone in prison for a sex crime.

What’s everyone’s final thoughts/general consensus on today’s developments then? I still really don’t know what to think

I think in all probability it was NM. TVP will be aware how nicely packaged this all looks and the scrutiny they’ll be under. I don’t think they’ll leave a stone unturned.

There are lots of questions still, but we have to trust the police have the information we are not party too. Some questions may never get answered.

My main musings -
I took from the statement that the police gave ti mean NM was employed directly with the owners, whereas media reported he was employed via a company - be interested in which is correct. Would help with the keys question which pops up a lot.

Neighbors blasting TVP, with hindsight their 20/20 vision they now realise it was strange that house sitting unoccupied. But at the time of the investigation it was considered normal enough for no one to mention, not on the door to door enquiries, not on later pleas from the public for the publics help. I’m in no way blaming the neighbours/public just highlighting how normal it all felt. Could be the owner told everyone she was having work done so the presence of the handy man was not unexpected.

Essentially 2 investigations have collided, NM SO history and subsequent suicide and Leah’s murder. There were probably questions left unanswered from NM suicide which maybe now make sense.

It’s important I think with the pandemic to take peoples timelines with a pinch of salt. Particularly with the owners return and potentially them not realising what was in the loft.

Police and other professionals are humans, they are shaped by their experiences professionally and personally - yes they have procedures and policies to follow which will hopefully deduce the same results but it won’t always work this way. If a different police officer knocked on a different neighbours door there might have been a different outcome. I say this has someone who felt they should have done more in terms of chasing the unoccupied house, particularly as it fell in the radius that they felt held the most answers to Leah’s missing person enquiry. I should imagine there were lots of people who didn’t answer after multiple attempts.

I’m glad Leah is now found, she can rest now. The family can start their very long process of coming to terms of losing 2 of their children, a brother, a sister. They seem such a loving family and I hope they are being fully supported
Looking at Google street view over the years in question shows that the number 2 property stood out like a sore thumb because it was so overgrown - that should have been enough to ask who owned it, when it was last occupied and who has a key? Surely if the neighbours said at that time it’s been empty for a while and a known sex offender (Johnston) lived there previously, that would warrant a more thorough search? They were looking in the lake behind it with divers so why not wonder about that particular house? If I was a neighbour I would have wanted the police to check it knowing it has been unoccupied but also it’s link to someone in prison for a sex crime.
but still no neighbour reported it, it was first bought to TVP attention Monday, this week.

There is still a large question to answer here: How was this man employed? How did the owners/managers of the property find him? Especially pertinent if he lived an itinerant lifestyle.

He will obviously be connected to people locally in some form to have been employed in this way, and he may have been - IMO - employed in a similar way in other properties.
Questions that will be answered particularly needed for the family. If a private hire. a handyman, I can imagine a family living abroad wouldn't naturally consider background checks and maybe they found him online or an ad. I have been guilty of giving tradesmen a key to our house once you meet them and get to know them. I didn't do background checks on them. I am sure he will be known by locals but I agree these questions do need answering and will be when they speak to the owners. As for keys they can easily be copied if he was no longer employed by the owners but he clearly knew when the property was empty/unoccupied. Knowledge of who owns that property will answer a lot.

Last edited:
Personally I don’t think that this case is “neat” in its apparent resolution so much as we have actually found out what happened, and it’s a rare example of a person being killed by someone who wasn’t close to them and possibly even a total stranger. We are just used to answers being closer to home.

Has anyone thought maybe she was catfished or something similar? It seems like she was active on social media and spoke to alot of people online. Do you think they could of been speaking and planned to meet up ? Maybe that's how she went there..

Its an idea not saying it happened.

She was probally snatched or tricked somehow...

A neighbour told reporters at the scene that she/her husband had mowed the grass to stop the house looking empty - the street view images over those years show it to be very overgrown at the front, you can’t see the house/through the windows apart from a small ground floor one which appears to have cleaning products on the ledge. There is also som graffiti on the side of the garage wall in one image - locals would have known a sex offender (Johnston) has lived there, as would the letting agents. I really do wonder if the two sex offenders knew each other and/or knew that house was empty - why did Leah’s phone go off the night before in that same area - who was she meeting there? I think she had met Maxwell before and went into that house without a struggle or was taken there after she had been killed.
From reports, NM and AJ's time in jail doesn't appear to overlap. How would locals have known a sex offender lived there? Parents with an adult son moving into a house doesn't immediately scream criminal, the address given when convicted was in Bletchley and not everyone follows the local news that closely. I don't really in my town; the free newspaper stopped, the others are expensive for what they are, and I just look for items of interest.

Has anyone thought maybe she was catfished or something similar? It seems like she was active on social media and spoke to alot of people online. Do you think they could of been speaking and planned to meet up ? Maybe that's how she went there..

Its an idea not saying it happened.

She was probally snatched or tricked somehow...

I’m not sure how it came about, but I don’t think they met online, I don’t think he’d work like that

Personally I don’t think that this case is “neat” in its apparent resolution so much as we have actually found out what happened, and it’s a rare example of a person being killed by someone who wasn’t close to them and possibly even a total stranger. We are just used to answers being closer to home.
I don't think it's that 'rare' to be killed by a stranger: Sarah Everard, Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman, Sabina Nessa, Rachel Nickell, Lin and Megan Russell, Milly Dowler, Marsha McDonnell, Amélie Delagrange all spring to mind.

Why not? He used fake names ? Easy to make fake names and profiles ?
Leah's parents said she liked Harry Potter and Twilight. As she was into those, and maybe fanfiction and was on related chat sites, is a 40+ yo going to be able to fake an interest in those to catch her attention? And how would he find her online anyway, out of the millions of HP fans online?

Last edited:
I don't think it's that 'rare' to be killed by a stranger: Sarah Everard, Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman, Sabina Nessa, Rachel Nickell, Lin and Megan Russell, Milly Dowler, Marsha McDonnell, Amélie Delagrange all spring to mind.
Given hundreds of people (approximately 700 a year) are killed every year in the UK and nearly all by people the victims knew, stranger murders remain rare.

You’ve cited cases over about a 30-year period given Rachel Nickell was in 1992. Considerable thousands of people were murdered over that time and very few by total strangers.

There have been quite a lot of high profile stranger murders of women these last couple of years though. Other people study these things but I worry it’s a trend. Perhaps the coverage is now better. I’m heartened that more seem to get solved these days.

From reports, NM and AJ's time in jail doesn't appear to overlap. How would locals have known a sex offender lived there? Parents with an adult son moving into a house doesn't immediately scream criminal, the address given when convicted was in Bletchley and not everyone follows the local news that closely. I don't really in my town; the free newspaper stopped, the others are expensive for what they are, and I just look for items of interest.
Johnston’s crimes started in 2013, he was a navy cadet, he was first reported to the police in 2015, then featured on a tv programme in 2017 - he would have been known to the younger generation in the area, down the local pubs etc, his face all over the local papers at the time, some of the neighbours will have undoubtedly known he was linked to that house. When a property is empty for an extended period of time it becomes a talking point because it starts to look unkempt, people worry about squatters etc, something just seems very odd, like the police have asked questions and been somehow fobbed off from looking more closely

Navy Cadet Instructor, and not only an adult, but one in a position of trust.
Yes, exactly (sorry I missed the word instructor out in my previous post), so he would have been talk of the local town / area, certainly with people in his age group, the victims age groups and the cadets!

I think the fact it was on her route to work, the fact she left at her normal time ect on that day, she had no intention of meeting anyone. I think he had lured/tricked her into the house, i think attempting to 'snatch' her from the street, he would have seen as too risky at that time.
Why not? He used fake names ? Easy to make fake names and profiles ?

I think the fact it was on her route to work, the fact she left at her normal time ect on that day, she had no intention of meeting anyone. I think he had lured/tricked her into the house, i think attempting to 'snatch' her from the street, he would have seen as too risky at that time.
But the reports suggest she was in the same area of that house (or at least her phone’s location was switched to off there) the evening before she disappeared, i.e. Valentine’s Day and she lied to her mum about where she went that evening - she wasn’t gone long, according to her mum it was around 75 mins but what was she doing during that time and why be secretive? Had she agreed to return the next morning on her way to work?

'Matthew Barber said no information so far "leads me to conclude that there were shortcomings" in the investigation.'

'Mr Barber said: "If mistakes have been made I will ensure a thorough review of the missing persons investigation, but I must stress that this will be evidence-led and so far I have seen nothing to suggest any reasonable lines of enquiry were missed."

He added that "my thoughts are with Leah's family as they come to terms with this heart-breaking news".'

edit: to add another quote from the article

But the reports suggest she was in the same area of that house (or at least her phone’s location was switched to off there) the evening before she disappeared, i.e. Valentine’s Day and she lied to her mum about where she went that evening - she wasn’t gone long, according to her mum it was around 75 mins but what was she doing during that time and why be secretive? Had she agreed to return the next morning on her way to work?

It's a route she often walked; she may be switched her location off on her way to wherever she was going. If she was indeed going to meet him, why would she need to hide her location? While it was apparently near that location it can't be pinpointed and remains on a route she would have used to go to multiple locations in MK.

If she had agreed to go there on her way to work the next morning, she would have left earlier to allow time for her to call in.

There are obviously questions about the night before she went missing, but I would imagine the theory many held from the start are probably correct about that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UncleGrump