Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into a taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Libby Squire - Cops recover lipgloss, hammer and screwdriver as mum says student, 21, DID make it home before vanishing

Two of the last people to see her said she was "falling over drunk" as she disappeared.

Tom Tully, 20, said: "On the night of her disappearance we were going to the Welly too. It was below zero. The taxi dropped her off. She got out and was walking down the street. She fell over a couple of times. She dressed all in black.

She was too drunk to be on her own

Student Tom Tully

“We asked her if she was all right and she mumbled something incomprehensible. Libby started walking away from her front door.

“She was stumbling and fell over. We were going to help but the taxi driver got out and helped her up.”

Fellow student Leon Caplin, also 20, added: “Then our taxi came and we had to go. We wish now we had stayed. I hope she is found."

Libby Squire - Cops recover lipgloss, hammer and screwdriver as mum says student, 21, DID make it home before vanishing

Two of the last people to see her said she was "falling over drunk" as she disappeared.

Tom Tully, 20, said: "On the night of her disappearance we were going to the Welly too. It was below zero. The taxi dropped her off. She got out and was walking down the street. She fell over a couple of times. She dressed all in black.

Student Tom Tully

“We asked her if she was all right and she mumbled something incomprehensible. Libby started walking away from her front door.

“She was stumbling and fell over. We were going to help but the taxi driver got out and helped her up.”

Fellow student Leon Caplin, also 20, added: “Then our taxi came and we had to go. We wish now we had stayed. I hope she is found."

Thanks for that michellemarls! So they did try to help, good to see that. I take back what I said earlier!

They and the taxi driver probably just assumed she'd go inside now and all left.

Sad situation.

Why do kids have to drink so much?? Not blaming her, just frustrated.

Is it for certain that her condition was completely due to just alcohol? Was it reported where and when she had gotten so intoxicated by 11:00 that she was refused entry into the Welly Club to meet her friends? She had been somewhere somewhat drunk and "hugging her friends" earlier in the evening. Did she go from that location to the club alone or with the friends? I was just wondering if maybe she had been drugged earlier. I know alcohol tolerance varies, but as reported, it would seem she was much more intoxicated (or something) than her friends. It's concerning that she was already mumbling incoherently and falling over drunk around the time her friends were getting into the club. It seems a bit suspicious to me.

I can’t see her being drugged if she was not also chatted up and taken out by some guy, for example. That seems to be the usual M.O. and she was clearly alone all through her travels after leaving in a taxi. Also no one has come out to say she she hadn’t had too much to drink, as far as I know.

Just seems like going to a bar with friends and leaving alone=disaster lately. For both sexes.

Following. Very worried for this young woman.
I wondered too if her intoxication may have been due to a medical condition, such as being on a medication (whether prescribed or OTC) that did not mix with alcohol.
Just seems odd that she was so out of it compared to the friends, and fairly early in the night.

upload_2019-2-3_21-59-21.jpeg

Police investigators took away a lipgloss and screwdriver in evidence bags after they continued searching for the 21-year-old today

upload_2019-2-3_22-1-2.jpeg

Police investigators took away a lipgloss and screwdriver in evidence bags. The lipgloss has the words 'sexy mother pucker' the top

upload_2019-2-3_22-1-19.jpeg

Police scenes of crime officers in Hull search for Libby Squire, February 3rd 2019. The CSI team were searching a spot near to where Libby was last scene

upload_2019-2-3_22-2-8.jpeg

Forensic investigators have been searching the area Libby Squire was last seen. The Coastguard have also been assisting the search

upload_2019-2-3_22-2-42.jpeg

A bench, pictured this morning, on the junction of Beverley Road and Haworth Street where Libby Squire was later seen

Hundreds of students join hunt for missing woman, 21, last seen leaving a taxi after night out | Daily Mail Online

Missing student Libby Squire was last seen 'falling over drunk'

Missing student Libby Squire was “falling over drunk” outside her home, according to two of the last people to see her.

Neighbours of Libby, 21, also said she did not go inside after being dropped off by a taxi but instead wandered into the freezing night.

p:nth-of-type(2)","sizes":[[8,8]],"hideOnSensitiveArticle":true,"relativePos":"after","additionalClass":"in-article","name":"div-gpt-ad-vip-slot","type":"VIP"}" data-gpt-placeholder="" data-response-start="4152.700000006007" data-type="gpt" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: 0px; font-size: 16px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; overflow: hidden; z-index: 1; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif; height: 8px; max-height: 8px;">
Tom Tulley, 20, who lives opposite, watched her “stumbling” and falling on Thursday night.

He said: “She was too drunk to be on her own. The taxi dropped her by a red car. She was walking away from her house, which is weird. She fell over a couple of times.”

Housemate Leon Caplin, 20, added: “She was struggling to walk, she was wobbling and could not walk in a straight line.”

Missing student Libby Squire was last seen 'falling over drunk'

Missing student Libby Squire was “falling over drunk” outside her home, according to two of the last people to see her.

Neighbours of Libby, 21, also said she did not go inside after being dropped off by a taxi but instead wandered into the freezing night.

p:nth-of-type(2)","sizes":[[8,8]],"hideOnSensitiveArticle":true,"relativePos":"after","additionalClass":"in-article","name":"div-gpt-ad-vip-slot","type":"VIP"}" data-gpt-placeholder="" data-response-start="4152.700000006007" data-type="gpt" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: 0px; font-size: 16px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; overflow: hidden; z-index: 1; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif; height: 8px; max-height: 8px;">
Tom Tulley, 20, who lives opposite, watched her “stumbling” and falling on Thursday night.

He said: “She was too drunk to be on her own. The taxi dropped her by a red car. She was walking away from her house, which is weird. She fell over a couple of times.”

Housemate Leon Caplin, 20, added: “She was struggling to walk, she was wobbling and could not walk in a straight line.”

I find it hard to imagine these two young men didn’t do a damned thing to help an obviously inebriated young woman. It’s still harder to imagine they don’t know (or maybe don’t care) that they come off as oblivious at best, and callous and selfish at worst, in the accounts they’re eagerly giving to the media about their encounter with Libby that night. IMO, the only way I’d freely and publicly share an account of my behavior which made me look like a stupid jerk would be if I was trying to cover up other actions that might make me look even worse (like a rapist or murderer).
I sure hope these two neighbors are thoroughly interrogated by LE about what they saw and/or did that night (and maybe forced to take a few remedial classes in empathy!).

I find it hard to imagine these two young men didn’t do a damned thing to help an obviously inebriated young woman. It’s still harder to imagine they don’t know (or maybe don’t care) that they come off as oblivious at best, and callous and selfish at worst, in the accounts they’re eagerly giving to the media about their encounter with Libby that night. IMO, the only way I’d freely and publicly share an account of my behavior which made me look like a stupid jerk would be if I was trying to cover up other actions that might make me look even worse (like a rapist or murderer).
I sure hope these two neighbors are thoroughly interrogated by LE about what they saw and/or did that night (and maybe forced to take a few remedial classes in empathy!).

I agree that they should have stayed until they could see she was inside the house, but I don’t think accusing them of the things you have mentioned is fair at all. They obviously didn’t for a second think anything like this would happen and I’m sure they will learn a big lesson from it - remember these are 20-year old boys, in other words still kids with a hell of a lot of growing up to do.

while it's not ideal behaviour it doesn't surprise me that the two young men didn't intervene, it's easy with hindsight to say they should have done something but on a night out in a student area this could be a common sight and only the most selfless would give up a booked taxi for someone they don't know and realistically what would they have done? I can sympathise with them, they must feel guilty now

JMO

I understand your anguish but its hard for two young men to help a very drunk young woman that they don't know. She could be just as at risk to accept help from two strangers when she was in that state. And, as we heard with the male driver who offered her assistance at the bench she would very likely refuse help.

I have in fact witnessed a very drunk girl getting in a taxi with two men who didn't know her and people in the taxi line got her back out of the taxi because of fears for her safety. Its really best in these circumstance if people who know you well help you home - female or male. And no doubt her friends thought they had by getting her in a taxi. Sadly no one checked she had her house keys, a charged phone and/or for some reason she didn't go into the house.

For all we know she did accept help from strangers and thats why we haven't seen her since.

It would be good to know from these witnesses though whether she attempted to get in the house or simply walked straight away. Forgotten keys do seem likely but maybe she realised in the taxi that she didn't have them.

I also, by the way, don't suspect foul play re whether her drink was tampered with (though interacting with medication might be a possibility). Sadly, for whatever reason and like many british students, that night she got too damn drunk to take care of herself. Most live to laugh it off but its not unusual amongst students at all. No judgement intended. JMO

Following. Very worried for this young woman.
I wondered too if her intoxication may have been due to a medical condition, such as being on a medication (whether prescribed or OTC) that did not mix with alcohol.
Just seems odd that she was so out of it compared to the friends, and fairly early in the night.
I remember going out for a friend's 18th. One girl over-did it and we ended up calling an ambulance for her at about 9pm before we'd made it to the first club!

Her level of intoxication at 11pm, for me, is not suspicious or unusual in the slightest.

Anyone else notice the really interesting microexpressions and body language of this student in the blue jacket in the video?
Hundreds of students join hunt for missing woman, 21, last seen leaving a taxi after night out | Daily Mail Online

Hmmmm... On one hand he seems to be a niave young lad shocked and unsure of the situation but on the other he says 'was' a lot and theres something else there I cant put my finger on. That said, Im erring on the side of him just being a bit shocked and camera shy.

Student Tom Tully

I live in a University City up north and any cab driver I've ever met would never get out and help a drunk person. So I find this odd.
If youre so drunk you cant even get into the cab the drivers here would leave you - too much risk of someone being sick or messing in their cab.
IF the driver was nice enough to get out and assist Libby into the cab, wouldnt we expect him to make sure she got into her home ok?

Hmmmm... On one hand he seems to be a niave young lad shocked and unsure of the situation but on the other he says 'was' a lot and theres something else there I cant put my finger on. That said, Im erring on the side of him just being a bit shocked and camera shy.

I live in a University City up north and any cab driver I've ever met would never get out and help a drunk person. So I find this odd.
If youre so drunk you cant even get into the cab the drivers here would leave you - too much risk of someone being sick or messing in their cab.
IF the driver was nice enough to get out and assist Libby into the cab, wouldnt we expect him to make sure she got into her home ok?

'The shrugger' does indeed use past tense, which might ordinarily be a red flag but, the question was asked in past tense too ...

I think, unlike many other cases where witnesses really did do nothing! Everyone involved so far, has done as much as could be expected.

There was a VERY drunk hysterical girl outside in my street at 2 a.m a few years ago, I'm a single woman with children - I went out to her - she'd had a row with her boyfriend, was meant to be staying at his parents - i had her whole drunken (half made up) life story ... talked to her for 40 minutes and finally persuaded her to let me drive her home - I told her to wait right at the front of my house while I fetched my car keys ... as i turned to walked towards my door, i heard her running off down the road ... I tried to find her but she'd gone.

We can only try our best and drunk/drugged people are not often accepting of help.

“Sadly, for whatever reason and like many british students, that night she got too damn drunk to take care of herself. Most live to laugh it off but its not unusual amongst students at all.”

The above snipped from your post Vaccine.

Agreed there is a very worrying drinking culture here in Britain.

Youngsters will ‘pre-load’ before going out for the night, as the price of drinks in clubs are so high.

Some young Brits seem to live for Friday/Saturday nights, binge drink & then brag to friends about how ‘wasted’ they got at the weekend.

Obviously this is not a problem limited to young adults.

Alcohol misuse costs the country an estimated £6 billion per year ( figures vary) taking into account costs to the NHS, the increased crime rate associated with drinking ( particularly violent crime) & also lost productivity.

Interestingly there is a rising trend in the number of youngsters, 20-25% ( again figures vary) who are tee-total, some deciding this life-style choice having had experience of an alcoholic parent/parents.

Rates of alcohol consumption & alcohol-related deaths are highest in my generation, the middle-aged.

I can support this anecdotally as an ‘alcoholic in recovery’. At the alcohol support group I attend, there are only 2 young adults, all the rest of us are middle-aged.

Latest updates:

07.07 Humberside Fire and Rescue boat no longer searching

The Humberside Fire and Rescue boat that was launched last night is no longer out searching and they have no further updates.

08.15 Pub's message to those involved in search

The Gardener’s Arms, in Cottingham Road, has said anyone involved in the search for Libby today can stop in for a hot drink, with the pub opening from 10am today.

The search for Libby is into its fourth day with police expected to resume searches around the Beverley Road area.

10.09 Police searching university grounds today

Chief Superintendent Phil Ward, the area commander for Hull and the East Riding, has said officers will be walking in the University grounds as the search for Libby continues.

Anyone with information should ring police on 101.

The student in the blue coat does have a slightly off manner imo but he's in a situation that no one is prepared for so could simply be nerves, the interviewer asks questions in the past tense so natural that he would reply like that imo, when he speaks for himself he uses the present tense

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member