Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #2 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Took me a while to catch up there. Just my observations.

A) I am 90% sure that is someone getting in the passenger side - the legs are very clear. Not sure what happens first - my thoughts go to a bag being thrown in. Reminds me of when I throw my handbag in the car when I’m getting in. It also looks like the passenger is being helped into the car .

B) If he is giving her a lift anywhere - I think it would have been to The Welly. It seems logical that if she can’t get in her house for any reason then she would accept a lift back there to get her friends/keys. I can’t see her asking for/needing a lift home when it’s just right there and she has already made that walk.

C) I wonder if Libby smokes. Could it have been an icebreaker.

D) When he sits in that car, it’s like he is waiting for something. People to leave or whatever so that the coast is clear.

E) I think it’s worth keeping in mind that if he is guilty, as soon as he is charged, the police can no longer question him. He goes into the court system. The longer they question him, even if they have evidence of foul play, the more chance they have of finding Libby.

I'm wondering why the person in the video was parked in that spot in the first place, looking on google earth it seems to not be the easiest place to get to, he'd have had to drive to the dead end bit and turn round to park up. I just don't see what the reason would be to do that.

I'm not convinced by the illegal taxi theory, you'd not get any fares sitting there and you've got the back streets to drive through to get back to the main road as far as I can see

I'm still stumped

This really is puzzling, as around there at that time on a Thursday there is literally nobody to pick up looking for a taxi.

The only reason I can imagine that someone would park there is if they didn’t want to be seen stopping on the main Beverley road as it would draw attention to themselves, there are a couple of police stations nearby!

Someone a few pages back said that their friends daughter lives on the street that the CCTV was from. And that the police searched their entire house a few days ago, including the freezer under the bed and in cupboards.

If the police thought Libby had got in the car, why would they be searching houses next to where the car was seen?

Question: Is it customary in the UK for a taxi driver to open the car door for you, and for a fare to sit in the front passenger seat?
Yes passenger seat, sometimes opening door, but not the norm- and I always still get in the back, which my Hubbie thinks weird as he always gets in the front. Can’t say I have never got in the front of a taxi alone though.

Someone a few pages back said that their friends daughter lives on the street that the CCTV was from. And that the police searched their entire house a few days ago, including the freezer under the bed and in cupboards.

If the police thought Libby had got in the car, why would they be searching houses next to where the car was seen?
It was me, and I don’t know.

I'm wondering why the person in the video was parked in that spot in the first place, looking on google earth it seems to not be the easiest place to get to, he'd have had to drive to the dead end bit and turn round to park up. I just don't see what the reason would be to do that.

I'm not convinced by the illegal taxi theory, you'd not get any fares sitting there and you've got the back streets to drive through to get back to the main road as far as I can see

I'm still stumped

You can't park right outside the pub unless you want to get dobbed in

It's a long time since I lived in London but back in the day the illegal guys parked a wee distance away and touted on foot as you walked out

Took me a while to catch up there. Just my observations.

A) I am 90% sure that is someone getting in the passenger side - the legs are very clear. Not sure what happens first - my thoughts go to a bag being thrown in. Reminds me of when I throw my handbag in the car when I’m getting in. It also looks like the passenger is being helped into the car .

B) If he is giving her a lift anywhere - I think it would have been to The Welly. It seems logical that if she can’t get in her house for any reason then she would accept a lift back there to get her friends/keys. I can’t see her asking for/needing a lift home when it’s just right there and she has already made that walk.

C) I wonder if Libby smokes. Could it have been an icebreaker.

D) When he sits in that car, it’s like he is waiting for something. People to leave or whatever so that the coast is clear.

E) I think it’s worth keeping in mind that if he is guilty, as soon as he is charged, the police can no longer question him. He goes into the court system. The longer they question him, even if they have evidence of foul play, the more chance they have of finding Libby.
In the US we don't have to answer any questions for the police other than our name. Is the same true in the UK? Can he just shut up and ask for a lawyer?

I'm still stumped

You'd be as likely to get fares there as anywhere else. And as people have pointed out, you can't just pull in for any length of time on the main road. This is the only street in quite a long stretch where he'd be able to stop for a while and be viewable to people walking home from the pubs on Cottingham Road. They're all very popular with students, and student digs are all around the area where Libby lives and even further afield. I guess what I'm saying is it's actually the *perfect* place to tout for business, and that's possibly what the other car on the CCTV had been doing. Maybe they'd picked up a customer or maybe they got bored and moved elsewhere.

Just had the same thought. She wouldn't need a taxi for the short distance to get home, but she might have thought about him taking her back to the club to see if she could get in a second time. Either to get a key from a friend or if she had her key but didn't want to go home, just thinking she has sobered up and to try to re-join the group.

At that point If she stayed outside another 30 minutes she would probably start to freeze and she was not wearing a warm coat, woolly hat, a scarf or gloves on one of the coldest nights of the year every thing seem to be against her that night being refused entry into the bar! and having no keys or mobile phone on her I am sure her only option was try and get back to the bar where her friends where

In the US we don't have to answer any questions for the police other than our name. Is the same true in the UK? Can he just shut up and ask for a lawyer?

He doesn’t need to speak until a lawyer and in this case, possibly a translator is present and then he still doesn’t need to answer any questions.

As soon as someone is charged, the court process is started and they can’t ask him ‘Where is Libby?’ So occasionally in cases where they know a suspect is guilty but they haven’t located the missing person, they will take the maximum questioning time to try and encourage the suspect to say where the missing person is.

.UK had significant law reform in this area

It can harm your defence significantly if you seek to rely on something at trial that should have been disclosed

IIRC alibis are one thing that need to be disclosed or the judge can make an adverse direction to the jury

I will look up the relevant provisions

I've never had a cab driver open a door for me unless I have luggage and then they open the boot. I assume they don't open a door partly because they don't know where you're planning to sit - front or back. If a cab driver opened the front passenger door for me, I'd be uncomfortable.

On any documentary I've watched about how the UK police operate, they keep their evidence to themselves whilst asking the person questions, i.e. 'have you ever seen this woman?' 'where were you between xx and xx on xx day?'. They already know she was in his car and exactly when. If he lies, 'never seen her before... was home all evening' etc, then they produce their evidence and chuck him back in his cell to stew on that for 10 hours or so.

At that point If she stayed outside another 30 minutes she would probably start to freeze and she was not wearing a warm coat, woolly hat, a scarf or gloves on one of the coldest nights of the year every thing seem to be against her that night being refused entry into the bar! and having no keys or mobile phone on her I am sure her only option was try and get back to the bar where her friends where

I just wish in these situations young lasses would feel confident enough to go into a close by business or bar and be looked after until the police can arrive

Not that police are a taxi service but it was known in my hometown that if you were truly stuck the police would rather help you out than see you rolling round the city in a state in the dead of night

Especially for young ladies

The slower down GIF looks to me like he goes to put her in the car but the door isn’t open wide enough to lift her in so he rests her while he opens the door more then puts her in as u see that same shadow shape of what looks like legs come into view twice, it doesn’t look like he’s throwing a bag to me, more like repositioning while trying to fit her in the front seat, but she’s clearly not hopping in there she seems to slump :(

I've never had a cab driver open a door for me unless I have luggage and then they open the boot. I assume they don't open a door partly because they don't know where you're planning to sit - front or back. If a cab driver opened the front passenger door for me, I'd be uncomfortable.

Well he's not an actual licensed taxi driver. Typically they won't get out the car at all unless you've luggage with you or are clearly in need of assistance. This guy wasn't available for booking though, so he'd have to be on his feet and away from the car to drum up custom - nobody would know he's giving rides otherwise. It's much easier for a very drunk person to get in and out of the front passenger seat than the cramped rear too.

You'd be as likely to get fares there as anywhere else. And as people have pointed out, you can't just pull in for any length of time on the main road. This is the only street in quite a long stretch where he'd be able to stop for a while and be viewable to people walking home from the pubs on Cottingham Road. They're all very popular with students, and student digs are all around the area where Libby lives and even further afield. I guess what I'm saying is it's actually the *perfect* place to tout for business, and that's possibly what the other car on the CCTV had been doing. Maybe they'd picked up a customer or maybe they got bored and moved elsewhere.

But he's not touting for anything, he's sitting have a smoke, how is he going to get any fares when no one can see him/know he's a taxi? He doesn't appear to be looking up for possible customers, do illegal taxi drivers randomly approach people on the street on spec, is there even much foot traffic in that area at that time of night?

I'm playing devils advocate a bit, to me it's more likely that he's waiting for someone for a pre-arranged lift.

JMO

.UK had significant law reform in this area

It can harm your defence significantly if you seek to rely on something at trial that should have been disclosed

IIRC alibis are one thing that need to be disclosed or the judge can make an adverse direction to the jury

I will look up the relevant provisions
.this is it

Justice and Public Order Act (CJPOA) 1994
Section 34 allows an inference to be drawn if a suspect is silent when questioned under caution prior to charge and subsequently relies upon a relevant fact at Court, which he or she could reasonably have been expected to mention when questioned. Just because a suspect declines to answer questions, does not automatically mean that an adverse inference can be drawn. It is only when he or she later seeks to put forward an account or explanation that the adverse inference provision is triggered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahgoodnight