UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 *ARREST* #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to think I would have called the police<modsnip: Not victim friendly>

I do think that 30 or 40 years ago, people would have been more pro-active in making sure she got home. Nowadays people are much more wary about getting involved, for fear of being accused of something, or even being scammed. It's a nasty world now.

Completely agree. Some of those who interacted with Libby may have been scared off, offended, even thought just another typical drunk student she will make it home okay ...

But I’d definitely like to think I’d have phoned an emergency service too, even if it meant I couldn’t stay present because the person in need had become abusive. Sometimes situations need reading into a bit more (I’d like to think Id notice Libby’s lack of clothes on a freezing night, blood on her knees..). No one is to blame other than PR and hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the what ifs here are heart wrenching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here.

Be sure to read the above opening posts #2 and #3.

Remember, Websleuths is fact based. Rumors from social media or local chatter are not allowed and will be removed.

Thanks @jamjim for the updates. This is so heartbreaking to read. So many missed opportunities.
I think this tragic case is a reminder that not all monsters look like monsters. It was really only a matter of time until PR's behaviour escalated to rape and murder given his previous convictions.

At libbys age I would have trusted a similar aged person over two older men too.
Me too tho I do wonder whether she did trust him or whether he just ignored her protests. Prowling around most of the night by the sounds of it.

Thanks for posting these updates. They’re heartbreaking to read. Poor Libby was so vulnerable and so unlucky that this man came across her that night. If only she’d been let into the nightclub with her friends or gone home after the taxi dropped her off. Just incredibly sad.

IMO I think he will say he picked her up in his car and they went and had consensual sex on the bench in the park that the police were so fixated on and that she ran off after and therefore must have fallen in the river.
I think the fact she was drunk, and several witnesses have confirmed that, means he won't be able to use it.

Poor kid. Poor family

I am so glad LE figured PR was involved so quickly. I really feel with what we know of his previous activities that he would have done this to more young ladies. I have said this in a previous thread but the time he was watching a couple through their window during an intimate moment, he maintained eye contact with the girl while taking care of his business was chilling to me. IMO that was very telling. He is a psychopath. MOO, MOO, MOO
Psychopath: cold-hearted, calculating, callous, morally depraved. Carefully plan their moves, use aggression in a planned-out way to get what they want. Again MOO!

Totally agree, maintaining eye contact was dominant and invasive. Some are questioning why she trusted him to go with him. It may not have been a conscious decision. I am not blaming her at all, I got into some situations when I was young after alcohol and not just a case of being 'a bit squiffy' but to the point where everything is distorted and you don't know where you are or who you're with. Thankfully I survived relatively unscathed. Incapacitated can mean just that, you don't know what's going on and can't make rational decisions. As a small female myself, I know that stage can be reached much sooner than for a man. It's just very sad that a person like the defendant was able to continue his criminality to the point where he picked her up that night.

One last thing bugging me tonight,..

Was the general consensus here two years ago that Libby could not have travelled from that part of the river at oak road playing fields to the Humber because of a sluice ?? I’m sure the great locals brought it to our attention and even photos were included?

Totally agree, maintaining eye contact was dominant and invasive. Some are questioning why she trusted him to go with him. It may not have been a conscious decision. I am not blaming her at all, I got into some situations when I was young after alcohol and not just a case of being 'a bit squiffy' but to the point where everything is distorted and you don't know where you are or who you're with. Thankfully I survived relatively unscathed. Incapacitated can mean just that, you don't know what's going on and can't make rational decisions. As a small female myself, I know that stage can be reached much sooner than for a man. It's just very sad that a person like the defendant was able to continue his criminality to the point where he picked her up that night.

Scary isn’t it? I honestly shudder at some of the situations I found myself in whilst drunk as a teen! How I never ended up seriously harmed or hurt must be due to pure luck! I think most of us have been in a position like Libby’s at least once in our lives as youngsters.

I did read that the taxi driver thought Libby was comprehensible whilst being driven back, but that she deteriorated on getting out. Reminded me of the time I felt okay before getting into a taxi to town, but within seconds of getting out was unable to walk and speak (again as a teenager). Frightening.
I know many feel less inhibition with alcohol and take more risk (know I do!) and I care a lot less about my safety ... I can easily see why Libby may have agreed to go with PR.

Was the general consensus here two years ago that Libby could not have travelled from that part of the river at oak road playing fields to the Humber because of a sluice ?? I’m sure the great locals brought it to our attention and even photos were included?
There are only sluices on the drains leading into the river Hull. No sluices from that part (Oak road area) out into the Humber

Yes there were a lot of discussions, not necessarily due to a sluice. More about how the river curves at places, obstacles and how it was possible no one saw her at certain parts of the river. Some folks provided lots of information about gases and how a body will fall rise and fall in the water. As it turned out that probably was the case as Libby was found at the part of the river right before being lost to the sea. Honestly IMO a complete miracle. And I am forever grateful to whatever force was responsible for making sure her body was found that day. Whether it was nature or a higher power, I am grateful!!
Edit: fix a messy sentence

There are only sluices on the drains leading into the river Hull. No sluices from that part (Oak road area) out into the Humber

Yes, and at one point they were searching the stream / drain behind the houses opposite Libby’s house. That waterway would have gone through a sluice iirc. Could be what you’re remembering @kate2931

Oh @kate2931 i know you say you don’t have a choice but please be careful walking your dog. My cousin has to walk hers late due to work and honestly it really worries me. I know we should all be able to do what we want, where we want but please take care!

Thsnjs to @jamjim for the updates, that’s much appreciated.

Reading this, and all of the people Libby encountered absolutely breaks my heart. The likelihood is these people would’ve all got her home safely :( I wonder to what degree did he force her into his car because it sounds like she was agitated enough to say no to everyone else. I wonder if the drink and cold had started to slow her down at that point. Just so, so tragic.
I really hope all of these people are ok too and not torturing themselves with what ifs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member